November 19, 2017, 09:12:26 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 563979 times)

Offline robobob9000

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #300 on: July 20, 2016, 12:58:33 PM »
One of my elementary travelling schools hired a KET to teach after-school classes on days I'm not there. I've never met the KET, I've only seen printouts of what they are doing on my desk. She's konglishing everything. One worksheet looks like this:

1. 오른쪽은: 라잍
2. 왼쪽은: 레프트
3. 앞은: 프런트
4. 뒤는: 인
5. 밖은: 아웉
6. 높은곳은: 하이
7. 낮은곳은: 로우
8. 나란히: 사이드 바이 사이드

I don't usually get very angry, but this...ugh.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 01:01:00 PM by robobob9000 »

Offline Zaiterade

• Veteran
« Reply #301 on: July 20, 2016, 01:06:45 PM »
I can't wait for my middle school camp next week. I have a whopping 5 students. The theme will be "American Summer circa 1995". Instead of going outside like our parents are begging us to, we will instead stay inside, eat junk food, watch movies, and play board games.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #302 on: July 20, 2016, 01:11:06 PM »
One of my elementary travelling schools hired a KET to teach after-school classes on days I'm not there. I've never met the KET, I've only seen printouts of what they are doing on my desk. She's konglishing everything. One worksheet looks like this:

1. 오른쪽은: 라잍
2. 왼쪽은: 레프트
3. 앞은: 프런트
4. 뒤는: 인
5. 밖은: 아웉
6. 높은곳은: 하이
7. 낮은곳은: 로우
8. 나란히: 사이드 바이 사이드

I don't usually get very angry, but this...ugh.
My kids did stroytelling for the whole school and they got the English story and a translation of the story so they could really understand the cues of what was happening so they could act out the story better.

A lot of the kid's mother would pull that shit on their story telling sheets.

이트 이즈 어 콜드 데이 인 더 포레스트.

OI VEY. The kids end up sounding like complete turds in the storytelling classes. These are grade 5 kids too. 

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #303 on: July 20, 2016, 01:27:46 PM »
I appear to have developed the anti-Midas touch.

The main computer isn't working.
The scanner isn't working.
The water isn't working (so thirsty).
Even my phone isn't working (although that one's in for repair).

At least I got the master for the summer programme books printed yesterday, so I was able to print and bind everything up whilst I give these machines a full virus scan and backup my files, but urgh!
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #304 on: July 20, 2016, 01:51:48 PM »
My principal decided to move all of the Korean English teachers and I into the Vice Principal's office. So now I'm in a room with 10 other teachers and instead of my cozy English office.

Also, there was absolutely no room for our desks in the VP's office, so I'm a fire hazard now. Letting me use the English classroom as my office was "impossible."

And my desk is now positioned so everyone can see what I'm doing.

And the fans blow my hair in my face and I can't tie it back because someone might see the tip of my tattoo and complain to the DMOE.

And I have three weeks of summer camp before vacation.

..... I am just so done with this semester. I'm afraid I'm going to accidentally snap at someone because I'm so frustrated with life right now. Everyone keeps saying that the spring semester is so much worse than fall, and I hope that's true because I'm not sure I can handle this for another seven months.

I've also been shuffled into a communal office. I told my co-t that I need the computer in the English room for planning. So, I will make an appearance in the morning and at the end of the day but I am not giving up my peace and quiet. They can make me show up and they can make me stay here all day but they cannot dictate where I am while I waste my time.

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #305 on: July 20, 2016, 01:59:22 PM »
Today is my co teacher's last day of her contract at my school. She was only hired on for about six months. Now that she will be leaving, they are interviewing new teachers to fill her position. It's sad because she was a great teacher and more like a good friend. Hoping that the next co teacher is cool too and doesn't mind sneaking off to buy snacks during the middle of the day too.  :sad:

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #306 on: July 20, 2016, 02:32:50 PM »
Why does every single person that comes to look at my apartment leave the door open upon entering?  It's not like the air conditioning is on or anything, but let me just go ahead and try to cool down that stairwell as you make your way back down.  I would also like to thank you for letting the flies and mosquitos that were also outside, in.  I was getting mighty lonely with only the dog here to keep me company.  I know most people will say well why don't you just close it after they come in, but my medium sized dog seems to freak out about half the people who come by so I try to keep him away from them the whole time they're here (even though all he really wants to do is sniff them).
Well, considering how most pet "owners" become acclimated to the unpleasant odors of their pet, I'm sure these visitors are simply trying to survive.
A valid point but this doesn't explain why I'm also closing the door after Korean teachers coming in and out of my classroom.
Could be the fox and his own hole story...

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #307 on: July 20, 2016, 02:49:27 PM »
I don't like people. Especially before 9 am.

My CT never talks to me. I enjoy this. It's a wonderful working relationship on par with my college room mate whom I never spoke to. 

This morning she felt the need to break this relationship.

I don't care about your hangover or that you're tired. I want to read the news paper before my classes.

If you didn't catch it, my 1 word answer was an indication that I don't want to talk.

OMFG, okay how was your night?

(Insert random answer.)

That's great. Back to the paper.

I survive on coffee before 9am. I'm really not a morning person either. It's tough to go into school with extremely energetic students everyday.

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #308 on: July 20, 2016, 02:54:13 PM »
Last week of elementary school, so I thought we'll just do movie class. I don't like doing movie classes, but when every other Korean teacher does them, and I come in, the first thing the kids say is "teacher movie".

So I thought Mars needs moms would be great. The first 3 teachers loved it.

The last teacher who is male (I am also male) hated it and stopped it half way though when the "boy babies" where being thrown in to the rubbish. He told me that this movie is very bad because the women throw the men in the rubbish dump and it's not good for our male students to see something so unrealistic as that.

It's the gender roles that are unrealistic. Never mind the movie has f*****g space ships and aliens living on another planet.

Gasian

« Reply #309 on: July 20, 2016, 03:18:05 PM »
So why don't we just take these AWESOME workbooks that I have made for camp, print every page in black and white(when it is essential some need to be colour), copy them at a really low quality and then tape them together at the corners instead of binding them.

F*%k sakes. Lesson learned. Winter camp will be barren and effortless.....

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #310 on: July 20, 2016, 03:25:30 PM »
Your coteacher may have done you a favour MataHari. The lack of colour sucks, but if your school, like mine, lacks a lever arm stapler, manual binding with whatever is on hand can be a difficult process. I've come out of it with bloody fingers most times.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here

Offline orionchocopie

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #311 on: July 20, 2016, 03:29:19 PM »
I bought my own lever arm stapler for school.  I allow no-one else to use it, and my fingers remain un-lacerated.

Gasian

« Reply #312 on: July 20, 2016, 03:29:40 PM »
Your coteacher may have done you a favour MataHari. The lack of colour sucks, but if your school, like mine, lacks a lever arm stapler, manual binding with whatever is on hand can be a difficult process. I've come out of it with bloody fingers most times.

... but we have a binding machine thingy and they aren't very thick  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #313 on: July 20, 2016, 03:32:33 PM »
Ugh I'm so angry and I know this might be a strong response because I'm tired of a bunch of things right now but  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I was trying to come up with a way to get the students to yell and swear less in class. I decided to do a point system for every single class and the class with the most points will get some kind of prize at the end. I mentioned this to the head teacher and she said it sounded good, except that for the really poorly behaved students they'll just become discouraged because they know they can't reach the top and act out even more. I thought, ok, so maybe the lowest-ranked team can have some kind of minimal punishment at the end of the year like washing all the desks or washing all the drawings and crap off the wall. I suggested it to her and she said "yeah, well, that's a nice idea but they won't do it. You don't have any power to make them do it. And even if their homeroom teacher or me tells them to do it they won't listen."

Me: "ok, then why don't I tell them there's a punishment but then just not enforce it?"
Her: "But they won't do it. they won't listen."
Me: "I know, that's why I'm saying I won't actually try to make them do it I'll just tell them to in the hopes it makes them not want to be the lowest-ranked class"
Her: "They won't listen to you, they don't care"
Me: "I'm saying.... nevermind"

I think I'll just put the points up on the board but have it be a mystery what they get or won't get. I won't tell them anything about the points system. I'll just keep it up on the board and hope that the pure motivation of not losing points keeps them at least marginally more quiet than they've been so far.

Offline toddingumi

• Veteran
« Reply #314 on: July 21, 2016, 08:00:39 AM »
Have asked my handler about making arrangements to use a computer lab for camp twice in the last two weeks.
Today is the last full day of class before camp and I just asked her for a third time.
Her response, "Ahhh, ok." Continues doing other shit.
F*ck em

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #315 on: July 21, 2016, 08:32:13 AM »
NEIS is a complete misnomer for what it is. There is absolutely nothing nice about NEIS. It's draconian nonsense! Who on Earth needs a day-by-day record of what I do during my days off? What possible use does anyone have for this information? On top of the blatant privacy invasion is an absolutely terrible user interface straight out of 1997. Not even good 1997 either, bad 1997. Every time I'm forced to use this "service", I die a little more inside. Thank whatever-deity that my co-teacher lets me just put "personal business" in the reason-for-day-off field. She also let me omit my 4-day trip to Jeju because it would be too complicated to put it in legitimately!

Gasian

« Reply #316 on: July 21, 2016, 08:49:13 AM »
I have just been told that today we will have a meeting regarding feedback for my open classes. Given the state of my relationship with my main CT I am an absolute mess waiting to hear once again how useless I am and how everything I do is wrong. Irritates me considering that I know I will get negative feedback and yet there are waiting lists of students for my summer camps (so how awful a teacher could I possibly be?).

Knotted stomach of dread.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #317 on: July 21, 2016, 08:56:10 AM »
My school is going to be under construction during summer vacation, so we're going to have a temporary office...in the cafeteria

Even though it's only going to be 6 days, I'm seriously, seriously dreading deskwarming. Probably I'll just sit outside and read all day or something.... so much for getting work done. I at least got permission to move my comfy desk chair to the caf, because there's NO way I'm sitting in the cafeteria chairs all day

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #318 on: July 21, 2016, 08:59:57 AM »
NEIS is a complete misnomer for what it is. There is absolutely nothing nice about NEIS. It's draconian nonsense! Who on Earth needs a day-by-day record of what I do during my days off? What possible use does anyone have for this information? On top of the blatant privacy invasion is an absolutely terrible user interface straight out of 1997. Not even good 1997 either, bad 1997. Every time I'm forced to use this "service", I die a little more inside. Thank whatever-deity that my co-teacher lets me just put "personal business" in the reason-for-day-off field. She also let me omit my 4-day trip to Jeju because it would be too complicated to put it in legitimately!

The beauty of Korea's lumping the entire rest of the world together is that merely sticking '외국' down can sometimes suffice. Or even better, if you're not sure whether you're even leaving the country, there's this wonderful place called '해외' that also encompasses Jeju.

Best regards, a fellow citizen of the Heyway Empire.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #319 on: July 21, 2016, 09:03:04 AM »
I have just been told that today we will have a meeting regarding feedback for my open classes. Given the state of my relationship with my main CT I am an absolute mess waiting to hear once again how useless I am and how everything I do is wrong. Irritates me considering that I know I will get negative feedback and yet there are waiting lists of students for my summer camps (so how awful a teacher could I possibly be?).

Knotted stomach of dread.

...therefore don't let it get to you.  There has to be some feedback.  Just nod and then forget about it.  A couple of years back I had a 'special' co-teacher who was hopeless at everything.  It was a case of 'the lights are on but no one is home' situation.  I just couldn't stomach conversation with her because she'd come out with things like 'wow, your English is really good'  :cry: I had to endure eight months of it, but feel stronger because of it.  I am sure your open class was great, so don't let some negative comments from someone whose opinion you don't value get to you.  Whenever I had bad times I would concentrate on my students as they always found a way to make me happy, which is essentially why we are here, to teach them.  You have full classes for summer camp, so that means a lot.