November 19, 2017, 02:51:15 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564302 times)

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2940 on: December 01, 2016, 10:34:44 AM »
Here, I've seen students storm a teachers desk to find more candy, rip open bags and go in her desk while she laughs nervously and they walk away with what they've stolen saying "THANK YOU TEACHER!" After seeing that, I rarely give out prizes anymore. I'm stunned by how ungrateful students can be.
I caught students stealing from my candy stash once before and I never gave that class anything again and made sure they knew why.

Well this particular class will never get candy again... NEVER

* but then I had a saving grace class that also were shocked to get candy, and kept thanking me over and over...??
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2941 on: December 01, 2016, 10:54:53 AM »
Here, I've seen students storm a teachers desk to find more candy, rip open bags and go in her desk while she laughs nervously and they walk away with what they've stolen saying "THANK YOU TEACHER!" After seeing that, I rarely give out prizes anymore. I'm stunned by how ungrateful students can be.
I caught students stealing from my candy stash once before and I never gave that class anything again and made sure they knew why.

* but then I had a saving grace class that also were shocked to get candy, and kept thanking me over and over...??
If the kids aren't greatful for candy, no more candy, winning team gets to leave 2 minutes early while the losing team cleans up the room. BWAHAWHAWHAWHAWHAW

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2942 on: December 01, 2016, 11:01:27 AM »
Yeah the candy culture here blows my mind. Getting rewards for doing the bare minimum of what is asked. Unreal.

I share an office with a teacher who is known for having a drawer of treats and so the same six or seven students will bring their screeching and general noise pollution in during the breaks to beg for food like they're stray cats. Those 10 minutes of relative peace are totally shot.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2943 on: December 01, 2016, 11:11:02 AM »

If the kids aren't greatful for candy, no more candy, winning team gets to leave 2 minutes early while the losing team cleans up the room. BWAHAWHAWHAWHAWHAW

This is my usual strategy. Will stick with it me thinks!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2944 on: December 01, 2016, 11:37:19 AM »
Which one of you twerps told my principal "Oh, in Gyeonggi-Do we stay at school until 5 even during the vacation! Herp derp!"?

According to my CoT, it was a foreigner.

Now, in typical Gyeonggi see, Gyeonggi do fashion, it looks like I'll be doing exorbitant amounts of deskwarming this vacation that they never saw fit to make me do before they knew Gyeonggi did it.

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2945 on: December 01, 2016, 11:42:31 AM »
Yeah the candy culture here blows my mind. Getting rewards for doing the bare minimum of what is asked. Unreal.

Meh, I use it to my advantage. As much as I would like to say that I constantly get my students' rapt attention and 100% effort, that's not always the case. That's where candy comes in to play. Fortunately for me, candy is candy in their mind. They don't seem to care about quality. So I just buy the cheapest candy in the greatest quantity. What amounts to like 100 won a class: Saves me a ton of time and gets me the participation of "I hate school" students. Win-win situation for all those involved.

As for the unfortunate scenario of the students expecting candy for every little thing, that has been remedied by a "random" number generator   :cheesy:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2946 on: December 01, 2016, 11:46:24 AM »
Candy is basically poison.

Offline bigfishlittlefish

• Adventurer
« Reply #2947 on: December 01, 2016, 11:53:57 AM »
Candy is literally the best thing ever.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #2948 on: December 01, 2016, 11:54:04 AM »

I share an office with a teacher who is known for having a drawer of treats and so the same six or seven students will bring their screeching and general noise pollution in during the breaks to beg for food like they're stray cats. Those 10 minutes of relative peace are totally shot.

:police: What's this?

:undecided: "It's a pencil."

HAVE A CANDY

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #2949 on: December 01, 2016, 11:55:08 AM »
Candy is basically the best poisson ever.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2950 on: December 01, 2016, 11:55:52 AM »
Another rant!

The last two times I went out for fried chicken I've woken up with nasty stomach pains that I can't sleep through. It ends with me on the toilet in the wee hours of the morning wondering what the hell I did to deserve this. The bubbling, churning stomach pains chicken gives me is unlike any other reaction I've had to food, aside from food poisoning or allergy.

I don't eat fried chicken often, but I never had this problem before, but now it seems like I just can't stomach it.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #2951 on: December 01, 2016, 11:58:11 AM »

BCS's candy comments are hereafter a drinking game. Everybody take a shot! :laugh:

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2952 on: December 01, 2016, 12:00:58 PM »
Which one of you twerps told my principal "Oh, in Gyeonggi-Do we stay at school until 5 even during the vacation! Herp derp!"?

According to my CoT, it was a foreigner.

Now, in typical Gyeonggi see, Gyeonggi do fashion, it looks like I'll be doing exorbitant amounts of deskwarming this vacation that they never saw fit to make me do before they knew Gyeonggi did it.

People just don't know when to keep their mouths shut. I see it time and again with co-workers. Either putting themselves in it, or worse, unknowingly condemning some poor sod they have never met to some arbitrary amendment to their working conditions.

When asked questions re:working conditions, especially if you know you have a good thing going, be as vague as possible. Commit to nothing. Use words like "maybe,perhaps,sometimes,might" or "i can't remember/I don't know"

A place I used to work in tried to cut our holidays by 1 week becuase some schmuck at a similar institution went blabbing around that they had less holidays then we did. Idiot.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #2953 on: December 01, 2016, 12:03:28 PM »
Candy is basically the best poisson ever.

J'adore les bonbons de poisson!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:39:52 PM by kyndo »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #2954 on: December 01, 2016, 12:07:54 PM »

BCS's candy comments are hereafter a drinking game. Everybody take a shot! :laugh:

Shots are metaphorically poison.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2955 on: December 01, 2016, 12:19:40 PM »
Yeah, I haven't given candy out in over a year. Now, if we play a game (which isn't terribly often) I give them one extra point in their grade.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #2956 on: December 01, 2016, 01:47:19 PM »

It's literally poison. But the best poison ever~

Er, second best.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:51:43 PM by donovan »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2957 on: December 01, 2016, 02:41:11 PM »

Er, second best.

Every time he says "literally" I feel like I ought to, I dunno, eat a piece of poison. But not literal poison.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #2958 on: December 01, 2016, 02:43:58 PM »

Er, second best.

Bro, check yo music, bruvna. There is only one true 80s metal Poison anthem.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #2959 on: December 01, 2016, 02:50:13 PM »

Er, second best.

Every time he says "literally" I feel like I ought to, I dunno, eat a piece of poison. But not literal poison.

Ha. There's some science behind that.

"Inhaling fear"
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/12/opinion/12lindstrom.html?_r=1

The warning labels backfired: they stimulated the nucleus accumbens, sometimes called the “craving spot,” which lights up on f.M.R.I. whenever a person craves something, whether it’s alcohol, drugs, tobacco or gambling.