November 20, 2017, 05:33:48 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 566118 times)

Offline waywardtimelord

• Adventurer
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2840 on: November 29, 2016, 03:08:56 PM »

I have to pick up the test results later in the week... another unpaid trip.

Every time I've done one (I just did my sixth), the clinic/hospital has given me the option of having the results mailed to my workplace. Maybe that's something you can ask about?

I haven't used any sick days yet. Hmm. I guess maybe since I'm not "sick" they are hesitant to call it a sick day. I'll ask about that. As far as having the results mailed, that would be amazing. DMOE specifically told us we had to pick them up and hand-deliver them, though.

Never thought I'd long for the medical exam at orientation.... haha

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2841 on: November 29, 2016, 03:13:04 PM »

Every time I've done one (I just did my sixth), the clinic/hospital has given me the option of having the results mailed to my workplace. Maybe that's something you can ask about?

I haven't used any sick days yet. Hmm. I guess maybe since I'm not "sick" they are hesitant to call it a sick day. I'll ask about that. As far as having the results mailed, that would be amazing. DMOE specifically told us we had to pick them up and hand-deliver them, though.

You are going to the hospital, you will pay money, and get a receipt to prove you were there.  That is enough for sick leave or always has been for me and others I know.  It is medically related. 

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2842 on: November 29, 2016, 03:13:17 PM »
I am so annoyed by everything lately. Mostly my first graders, who I can hardly hide my disdain for anymore. The screaming, the talking, the sometimes mocking. Oh and the best part -- being told how ~advanced~ they are and yet, when we go over simple drills of something like "I'm interested in..." they still say "I'm interesting soccer."

FFS
Yeah, I have a couple classes like this. I just can't put any effort in to care anymore because they get so bad. In a class of 38, only may 5-7 pay attention.

I have classes where only 6 kids show up and only one can be coerced into paying attention while the other boys wrestle and call each other pieces of shit x_x

Why is it like this

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2843 on: November 29, 2016, 03:15:05 PM »

Are you sure its actually unpaid though? Make sure you ask, fingers crossed it is paid or can use sick time.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2844 on: November 29, 2016, 03:16:32 PM »
So some of the comments I read above are exactly what i'm trying to avoid. But I have 2nd semester 3rd yr middle schoolers who literally could not care LESS and the only classes that give me real trouble all are connected to this ONE coteacher who conveniently never comes to class anymore. When I approached her about it, who knows how many times now, she always says "oh really? well they are the best class in the whole grade?" or "No i don't think [insert misbehaving child's name] is doing that on purpose, he/she must not understand you" even though said child is speaking copious english before class starts and as soon as I start talking he/she plays dead....*ultimate side eye*. They definitely know when she is not around and that's when they try to act like they've lost their minds. On one hand, I want them engaged and I try to do as much different active things as possible but on the other hand I dont want to feel like a court jester who's playing babysitter to some bratty teenagers. And seriously, why the heck does she think not coming to class is going to help??? She's the one telling me some of the students act out because they don't understand enough English....welllllll what do you think YOUR job is madame???? To help with translations!!! seriously I'm more ready to check out on the coteacher because she's really starting to piss me off with how little she wants to be helpful, I understand the kids checking out but the teacher??? That's what she's getting paid for!

Yup....

I wasn't going to stay at my school, but they were already not going to ask me to stay... Why? I know for a fact it's because I have been very strict for the last two years for them to maintain classroom discipline etc... and that I will refuse to teach otherwise. I have had many classes where I walked out, one where I just straight went home, and some where I just sit down in class because, well its hell... So they have ACTUALLY HAD TO DO THEIR JOBS! IMAGINE THAT!!!!! So now they are trying to fish for a noobie who they can slave around, and go back to doing jack in the classroom (****** up your ppt because they sit there at the computer but are actually kakaoing on their phone.

You are living my dream. Sometimes I walk out but only to my office next door, to pretend that I need to print some papers right this minute.

It's garbage. You get told you need to do activities! activities! activities! (which they mostly refuse to do properly or at all and of course there's rarely any support from the co-t), get them speaking (which is mostly refused as well) oh but THEN it's "too loud" and "it is hard for them." All while having your level of "cheer" constantly judged.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2845 on: November 29, 2016, 03:23:15 PM »
It's garbage. You get told you need to do activities! activities! activities! (which they mostly refuse to do properly or at all and of course there's rarely any support from the co-t), get them speaking (which is mostly refused as well) oh but THEN it's "too loud" and "it is hard for them." All while having your level of "cheer" constantly judged.

My elem. coT is all about [me] preparing activities but then decides to quit early because it's "too loud" and then goes "don't you have any other activities?" Today for some reason she tried to take over a lesson and "explain" the game but did so incorrectly (and keep in mind I had literally just done this yesterday for another class but I guess she was too "busy" on her phone  :rolleyes:) and just ended up confusing half the class for nearly the whole period. With my damage control I rescued the other half of the class but... Poor kids

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2846 on: November 29, 2016, 03:48:55 PM »
It's garbage. You get told you need to do activities! activities! activities! (which they mostly refuse to do properly or at all and of course there's rarely any support from the co-t)

I really wonder if this is allowed to happen in classrooms in other countries. where students are just allowed to 'opt out' of the work and activities.

if a student refused to do something in class when i was at school back home they'd get hauled in front of the teacher after class and given a stern talking to, told to adjust their attitude etc.

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2847 on: November 29, 2016, 03:51:14 PM »
So I'm renewing my contract in Daegu, and I'm so frustrated.

My current school is nowhere near any of the "approved" hospitals for the medical check, yet it's my choice to have the check during work hours, so it's unpaid leave. I also have to teach in the morning, so fasting is going to be fun.

The medical is 120,000 won at the only hospital within an hour of my location... and it's still 40 minutes and two busses away.

And then the renewal meeting, which I have to leave early for again.

I can only imagine how impossible the actual moving process is going to be.

(note: super happy to be renewing. just annoyed with the bureaucracy and expense. especially since it's all just to prove i'm not on drugs.)

since your medical check is for a contract renewal it's supposed to be marked down on NEIS as a 'business trip'.

so it's NOT unpaid leave. it's official paid 'leave'.

speak to your coordinator.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2848 on: November 29, 2016, 04:08:20 PM »
+1

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2849 on: November 29, 2016, 08:01:58 PM »
Why is this song so popular?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2850 on: November 30, 2016, 07:55:00 AM »
when you write out a rant but your browser crashes and eats it  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2851 on: November 30, 2016, 08:23:00 AM »
I am so annoyed by everything lately. Mostly my first graders, who I can hardly hide my disdain for anymore. The screaming, the talking, the sometimes mocking. Oh and the best part -- being told how ~advanced~ they are and yet, when we go over simple drills of something like "I'm interested in..." they still say "I'm interesting soccer."

FFS
Yeah, I have a couple classes like this. I just can't put any effort in to care anymore because they get so bad. In a class of 38, only may 5-7 pay attention.

I have classes where only 6 kids show up and only one can be coerced into paying attention while the other boys wrestle and call each other pieces of shit x_x

Why is it like this
I wish I had only 6 kids that showed up. It's a class of 32 and yesterday, 6 girls were quiet and the rest of the class were shouting, laughing, cursing, wielding chairs as weapons, and playing some sort of ridiculously loud back slapping game. There is nothing I can do anymore because the school simply calls them "naughty" and doesn't do anything. I've taken to just reading in class.

Edit: I just realized how one-uppy that sounded, which I wasn't trying to do, just ranting about my stupid class. Haha, sorry.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:25:48 AM by HaLo3 »

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2852 on: November 30, 2016, 08:29:41 AM »
It's garbage. You get told you need to do activities! activities! activities! (which they mostly refuse to do properly or at all and of course there's rarely any support from the co-t)

I really wonder if this is allowed to happen in classrooms in other countries. where students are just allowed to 'opt out' of the work and activities.

if a student refused to do something in class when i was at school back home they'd get hauled in front of the teacher after class and given a stern talking to, told to adjust their attitude etc.
Ugggggggh, I hate this so much. I get told no so many times but literally nothing happens to them.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2853 on: November 30, 2016, 08:58:08 AM »

Ugggggggh, I hate this so much. I get told no so many times but literally nothing happens to them.

Right, like today I had a "What kind of animal are you" activity. This consists of filling in one sentence (not even writing the whole thing) and drawing a picture. I gave them 10 minutes, which is way more than necessary but, again, I have no support anyway so fuck it. I gave them timing reminders, told them we were presenting at the end and what happens? Hardly half the class completes it and the ones that do half-assed it for the most part.

But, again, I'm told how advanced these kids are and, in the same breath, how hard it is for them to think of an animal. Really? 2nd grade middle schoolers don't have the vocabulary to choose from 2 or 3 animals? It's professional gaslighting.

YoungMin

« Reply #2854 on: November 30, 2016, 09:07:31 AM »
So I'm renewing my contract in Daegu, and I'm so frustrated.

My current school is nowhere near any of the "approved" hospitals for the medical check, yet it's my choice to have the check during work hours, so it's unpaid leave. I also have to teach in the morning, so fasting is going to be fun.

The medical is 120,000 won at the only hospital within an hour of my location... and it's still 40 minutes and two busses away.

And then the renewal meeting, which I have to leave early for again.

I can only imagine how impossible the actual moving process is going to be.

(note: super happy to be renewing. just annoyed with the bureaucracy and expense. especially since it's all just to prove i'm not on drugs.)

since your medical check is for a contract renewal it's supposed to be marked down on NEIS as a 'business trip'.

so it's NOT unpaid leave. it's official paid 'leave'.

speak to your coordinator.

Yeah that's a business trip. They force you to do it for work purposes then it's a business trip. 

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2855 on: November 30, 2016, 09:12:49 AM »

Right, like today I had a "What kind of animal are you" activity. This consists of filling in one sentence (not even writing the whole thing) and drawing a picture. I gave them 10 minutes, which is way more than necessary but, again, I have no support anyway so fuck it. I gave them timing reminders, told them we were presenting at the end and what happens? Hardly half the class completes it and the ones that do half-assed it for the most part.

But, again, I'm told how advanced these kids are and, in the same breath, how hard it is for them to think of an animal. Really? 2nd grade middle schoolers don't have the vocabulary to choose from 2 or 3 animals? It's professional gaslighting.
At least I don't have co teachers making excuses for them. I feel like that would make it that much more annoying. I had 4 students show up with an assignment 5 days late, that was due last week. They were trying to get me to accept it, even though I told them at the beginning of the year I wouldn't be accepting late work anymore and even though I gave them a full in-class period to work on it. But two of them were too busy kissing, one was sleeping, and one was arm wrestling the whole time. Just the amount of not-caring that they put in is crazy.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2856 on: November 30, 2016, 09:14:32 AM »
Kissing? In the classroom?

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2857 on: November 30, 2016, 09:16:28 AM »
Yep. I have caught two separate couples kissing in class. I have classes of 40ish students with no assistance, so in some of them... its kind of a shit show.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2858 on: November 30, 2016, 09:17:29 AM »

I told my 6s about how we have detention and suspension and expelling in Canada and they're like "a school can really say you can't come back?" I'm like "yeah! If you're being really bad they can tell you to get out and you have to go to a new school! remember when that kid scratched up your homeroom teacher's arms? totally wouldda been expelled! when you made a fake butterfly knife out of popcicle sticks and cut a piece of that girl's hair off with it? at least detention for that!" they'd die if they had actual school rules.

Online Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2859 on: November 30, 2016, 09:21:39 AM »
Yep. I have caught two separate couples kissing in class. I have classes of 40ish students with no assistance, so in some of them... its kind of a shit show.

I've seen it in a few of my classes, at least it looks a lot like it, at my travel middle school. The classes are separated into boys / girls by grade, and in my grade 1 boys class, these 2 boys have, a few times, looked like they were kissing each other.
The few times this has happened, was when the coT walked out of the room and left me with them, then the students, not wanting to do anything, just started messing around like that.