September 20, 2017, 12:38:25 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 481860 times)

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2840 on: November 23, 2016, 02:41:50 PM »

Jimddak, Gamjatang, pajeon/hobakjeon/haemuljeon, shabu-shabu etc...

There's plenty of stuff to try out, and a lot of it isn't so shocking to Western sensibilities.

Then again, most of the folk I know aren't super picky eaters. I always pity the folk who are: by telling themselves that everything is disgusting, they're missing out on so many awesome experiences!  :undecided:

yeh fussy people are the worst. big, overgrown children. The only people worse than them are fat, fussy people, who whine about the local food and so go to macdonalds. Awful slime

I'm quite a fussy eater myself because I have a weak stomach. Drinks and foods I don't like the taste of, will make me feel nausiated for hours. Seafood and eggs, if I can taste them, will make me hurl almost immediately.
I tend to dislike fussy people myself, but only if they are directing their fussiness at me.

There are also lots of autistic people who can't deal with certain textures, including food textures.

I always feel vaguely like barfing when I eat any kind of meat product that's chewy. I've loved the taste of mushrooms forever, but could only handle the texture in my mouth since a couple of years ago.

Oo, I didn't know that about autistic people. I have a student with autisim in one of my classes. He is really polite but is only there about 30% of the time. He always sprints over to say hello and always wants a high five whenever he sees me too.

I've never liked the taste or texture of mushrooms myself. >.<
Last week, this man on the train tried to give me dried pumpkin as a snack. I don't speak korean, so couldn't tell him I can't eat pumpkin. He tried to force it into my mouth after I tried to say, and gesture, no thank you - and he wouldn't stop trying until I tried some, even after I put 'allergic' into my translator, just to get him to leave me alone. Almost threw up on him when it touched my tongue. >:(

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2841 on: November 23, 2016, 02:53:50 PM »
There are also lots of autistic people who can't deal with certain textures, including food textures.

I always feel vaguely like barfing when I eat any kind of meat product that's chewy. I've loved the taste of mushrooms forever, but could only handle the texture in my mouth since a couple of years ago.
    You should check out Bonjuk: they have a huge variety of flavours to choose from (mushroom, pumpkin, seafood, beef, broccoli, random untranslatable foodstuff, bean, tomato, etc) and they all come in a porridge-like format! I grew to really appreciate it a while ago when I was spending a lot of time at the hospital. It's especially nice when it's really cold out.

Porridge is awesome.

Ayyy I lived off that stuff when I was recovering from alcohol poisoning. (Had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance and everything, and the ER doctor told my friend my stomach was probably really messed up - couldn't eat anything for several days, then lived off ddokguk and juk for about a week, very gradually working back up to "real food")

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2842 on: November 23, 2016, 02:57:35 PM »

Jimddak, Gamjatang, pajeon/hobakjeon/haemuljeon, shabu-shabu etc...

There's plenty of stuff to try out, and a lot of it isn't so shocking to Western sensibilities.

Then again, most of the folk I know aren't super picky eaters. I always pity the folk who are: by telling themselves that everything is disgusting, they're missing out on so many awesome experiences!  :undecided:

yeh fussy people are the worst. big, overgrown children. The only people worse than them are fat, fussy people, who whine about the local food and so go to macdonalds. Awful slime

I'm quite a fussy eater myself because I have a weak stomach. Drinks and foods I don't like the taste of, will make me feel nausiated for hours. Seafood and eggs, if I can taste them, will make me hurl almost immediately.
I tend to dislike fussy people myself, but only if they are directing their fussiness at me.

Oo, I didn't know that about autistic people. I have a student with autisim in one of my classes. He is really polite but is only there about 30% of the time. He always sprints over to say hello and always wants a high five whenever he sees me too.

Last week, this man on the train tried to give me dried pumpkin as a snack. I don't speak korean, so couldn't tell him I can't eat pumpkin. He tried to force it into my mouth after I tried to say, and gesture, no thank you - and he wouldn't stop trying until I tried some, even after I put 'allergic' into my translator, just to get him to leave me alone. Almost threw up on him when it touched my tongue. >:(

Wow, I don't know what I would have done if someone tried to force feed me like that. If I eat food I hate, I will gag and retch. That's just how my body reacts to certain taste/textures (I've been this way my whole life, parents tried to help, even saw a doctor for it.) It will be embarrassing for me and insulting for whoever tried to convince me that their mushrooms or octopus legs are delicious.  I know it's not done with malicious intent, but I alone decide what I want to put in my body.  That's not really a concept people are down with here.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2843 on: November 23, 2016, 03:00:09 PM »

Yeah, a really common aspect of autism is aversion to touch but also specific textures. I know a lot of autistic people who can't deal with things like bananas/tofu/yogurt. It also happens with colors.

Ughhh yeah so many Koreans have no concept even that allergies exist. One of my friends loves sushi but is like violently allergic (anaphylaxis) to tuna and salmon. Fortunately she's gyopo so she just takes extra time to REALLY EXPLAIN that her sushi ABSOLUTELY CANNOT touch any tuna or salmon. We've been fine so far.

not totally related, but I really don't like persimmons because to me they taste like raw pumpkin.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2844 on: November 23, 2016, 03:07:50 PM »
I think I'm starting to understand Waygook.org user sevenpm.

So what you're saying that is if a person wants to eat some delicious seafood, or some other food you find unappealing, you get that it probably is delicious, but that you're just super sensitive about what food you eat, so you're not into it. And as long as he or she doesn't try to make you eat it, you're totally cool with the whole situation?

That's a much better way to go about food, rather than saying something is bad because where you come from, that part of the animal isn't used.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2845 on: November 23, 2016, 04:21:45 PM »

So what you're saying that is if a person wants to eat some delicious seafood, or some other food you find unappealing, you get that it probably is delicious, but that you're just super sensitive about what food you eat, so you're not into it. And as long as he or she doesn't try to make you eat it, you're totally cool with the whole situation?

That's a much better way to go about food, rather than saying something is bad because where you come from, that part of the animal isn't used.

I'm not really sure why you're acting so confused. A person doesn't have to be super sensitive about food to have their taste influenced by their culture.

I'm sure fatty meat full of cartilage is delicious to SOME people, but it is true I was raised seeing those parts dumped in the garbage. It's not culturally sensitive to say so, I get that, but it's true. For people who don't grow up in an "eat every part of the animal/waste not want not" culture, some parts of an animal or even fruits/vegetables go in the trash. Growing up, crab apples were ammunition in school yard fights, not a side dish. Some people eat what others consider inedible/undesirable. This isn't my opinion, this is a fact.

Is it the part where I say it frankly that upsets you? Or the part where my taste (mostly) sticks to how I was raised?

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2846 on: November 23, 2016, 04:34:26 PM »

I'm not really sure why you're acting so confused. A person doesn't have to be super sensitive about food to have their taste influenced by their culture.

I'm sure fatty meat full of cartilage is delicious to SOME people, but it is true I was raised seeing those parts dumped in the garbage. It's not culturally sensitive to say so, I get that, but it's true. For people who don't grow up in an "eat every part of the animal/waste not want not" culture, some parts of an animal or even fruits/vegetables go in the trash. Growing up, crab apples were ammunition in school yard fights, not a side dish. Some people eat what others consider inedible/undesirable. This isn't my opinion, this is a fact.

Is it the part where I say it frankly that upsets you? Or the part where my taste (mostly) sticks to how I was raised?

Nothing you said upset me at all. Speaking frankly is totally fine.

Obviously lots of people eat stuff that others consider to be unpleasant or inedible. Like, lots of people eat cake and drink Coca Cola, and I think that's really disgusting and unappealing. But people keep eating it, so obviously it must be delicious. Just like people keep eating octopus, because it's delicious. Basically, every food is good, and if we don't like something, that's just our opinion. It doesn't make it right, or anything.

I just think it's weird to say like, "XYZ food is bad." No food is bad. Food is all good, and it's just our personal preference and background that makes us feel otherwise.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2847 on: November 23, 2016, 04:38:55 PM »
Or another example - persimmons are literally garbage and I hate them. They're like a rotten slime egg fruit.

But that's nothing wrong with persimmons. That's my fault for not liking them and not being raised eating them. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them, I just think they're disgusting.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2848 on: November 23, 2016, 04:44:30 PM »
#basedcowboyshirt

delicious

Chinguetti

delicious

#basedcowboyshirt

delicious

#basedcowboyshirt

delicious

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #2849 on: November 23, 2016, 04:44:53 PM »
I've got third grade middle schoolers who still don't know how to answer, "How are you?"

A few of them don't even know the alphabet.

I have a few of those myself. :/

I remember I had a 3rd grade middle school boy at my ex-hagwon who never understood "How are you?" despite that I began every class by asking the students that question. He'd always look at the other students and ask them in Korean what I was asking. Needless to say, his English level was extremely low.

Regarding recycling side dishes, one of my former co-teachers used to mix the leftover side dishes together with any other leftover food we had left on the table so that the restaurant wouldn't be able to recycle them.

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2850 on: November 23, 2016, 04:46:07 PM »
I just think it's weird to say like, "XYZ food is bad." No food is bad. Food is all good, and it's just our personal preference and background that makes us feel otherwise.

I think the original point was that for many people coming from developed nations, Korean cuisine may not be particularly palatable due to it's over reliance on cheap, fatty cuts of meat and roughage that wouldn't tradiationally be seen as an edible foodstuff. Of course if someone likes something they like it. Opinion is opinion. It's just that many opinions will be a certain way on this issue.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2851 on: November 23, 2016, 04:49:00 PM »
Yeah, I think it's one thing to hate something versus declaring it "not food." The latter seems kind of elitist.

Don't get me wrong, I have no inclination toward eating intestines or pigs' feet or insects or whatever. But some people/cultures love those things and consider those to be food. I will agree that such things are food but I will still probably never eat any.

I think it's good (to an extent) to try and use as much of the animal as possible, even if I personally wouldn't want to eat certain parts.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2852 on: November 23, 2016, 04:56:50 PM »
Some people liked Paul Blart: Mall Cop

No movies are bad, all movies are good. Only your opinion of the movie makes it so!!! I'm so smart, someone give me a book deal so I can share my wisdom.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2853 on: November 23, 2016, 05:08:55 PM »
Yeah, I think it's one thing to hate something versus declaring it "not food." The latter seems kind of elitist.

Don't get me wrong, I have no inclination toward eating intestines or pigs' feet or insects or whatever. But some people/cultures love those things and consider those to be food. I will agree that such things are food but I will still probably never eat any.

I think it's good (to an extent) to try and use as much of the animal as possible, even if I personally wouldn't want to eat certain parts.

Exactly. That's what I was trying to say. That was the major gist of my argument. You can say you hate all the food you want, but as soon as you start calling other people's food 'garbage,' etc, that's pretty offensive.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2854 on: November 23, 2016, 05:20:17 PM »
Basically, every food is good, and if we don't like something, that's just our opinion. It doesn't make it right, or anything.

I just think it's weird to say like, "XYZ food is bad." No food is bad.
What?

You are baiting someone, right?

There are lots of foods that are objectively "bad" and lots of foods that are objectively "bad".

I know they say we are in the post-truth era, but what the heck?

It's not opinion or preference, there are facts, science, and truth behind it.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2855 on: November 23, 2016, 05:23:56 PM »
What?

You are baiting someone, right?

There are lots of foods that are objectively "bad" and lots of foods that are objectively "bad".

I know they say we are in the post-truth era, but what the heck?

It's not opinion or preference, there are facts, science, and truth behind it.

Could you explain the "facts" behind why some foods are objectively bad?

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2856 on: November 23, 2016, 05:40:23 PM »
Rotten food, spoiled food, certain under-cooked or raw foods, etc.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2857 on: November 23, 2016, 05:48:01 PM »
Rotten food, spoiled food, certain under-cooked or raw foods, etc.

Fair enough, food that is unsafe to eat is "bad". But that's not what the conversation was about, was it?

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2858 on: November 23, 2016, 05:58:01 PM »
Ok; fair enough (I just skimmed through).

That "lacquer" chicken dish that some Koreans love can kill you, it does a number on your liver, kidneys, stomach, intestines, you name it.

How about eating a peanut, if you have a deadly food allergy?

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2859 on: November 23, 2016, 06:59:22 PM »
How about eating a peanut, if you have a deadly food allergy?

Some people have severe allergic reactions to antibiotics and light. Neither antibiotics nor light are 'bad.'

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment