October 19, 2017, 03:25:31 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 521394 times)

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2720 on: November 21, 2016, 11:52:53 AM »
For me I just get the feeling Korean cuisine was made to avoid starving to death, rather than pretty much every other cultures cuisine that was made for both not starving to death and enjoyment.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2721 on: November 21, 2016, 12:23:16 PM »
For me I just get the feeling Korean cuisine was made to avtoid starving to death, rather than pretty much every other cultures cuisine that was made for both not starving to death and enjoyment.

I like to point out that France has also suffered war and starvation, but when peace and wealth returned they STOPPED eating the gross stuff.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2722 on: November 21, 2016, 12:32:43 PM »
For me I just get the feeling Korean cuisine was made to avoid starving to death, rather than pretty much every other cultures cuisine that was made for both not starving to death and enjoyment.

You clearly don't understand the culinary subtleties of mountain grass, dog meat stew.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2723 on: November 21, 2016, 01:06:12 PM »
It's truly disheartening to listen to the KT make the kids recite entire dialogues on a solo basis.

"Hi Andy I'm Duri Hello Duri I'm Uju Hi Tori Bye What's this? It's a dog. What's that it's a bird. Hi Andy! Happy Birthday. This is for you. Thank you.... (and so on and so on)"

:blank: :blank: :cry: :blank: :blank:

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #2724 on: November 21, 2016, 01:18:55 PM »

You clearly don't understand the culinary subtleties of mountain grass, dog meat stew.

Korean food would fit better in the bottom half, than top half of cuisines, but there are reasons, both in and out of their control that made it so.

Cold climate means less good stuff grows. Isolationism means their food has less variety and fewer tasty dimensions.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2725 on: November 21, 2016, 01:35:21 PM »
For me I just get the feeling Korean cuisine was made to avtoid starving to death, rather than pretty much every other cultures cuisine that was made for both not starving to death and enjoyment.

I like to point out that France has also suffered war and starvation, but when peace and wealth returned they STOPPED eating the gross stuff.
Although we have refrigerators and freezers, etc.  Many still preserve things in more antiquated ways due to tradition and custom.

My grandfather loved lutefisk, though there was no longer a need to soak cod in poison.

We all have odd eating habits and traditions.

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2726 on: November 21, 2016, 01:54:43 PM »

I would like to point out that your comparison is absolutely terrible lol. First of all, France's land is MUCH better at growing things. France has probably the best land in Europe for farming. While Korea has mountains lol. Mountains, while good for defending your homeland, don't provide the best farming lands. Also, France's land borders many other countries. This provides opportunites for new foods, ideas, and all that other good stuff. Also, France's "down time" is nothing compared to South Korea's "down time".

Some criticial thinking and a tiny bit of knowledge about both countries goes a long way  :P

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2727 on: November 21, 2016, 01:57:27 PM »
When I hear people making blanket statements about food here in Korea, it sounds exactly like the ignorant local who believes that the only foods in western countries are spaghetti, hamburgers and pizza.

Korean food doesn't have a huge palette of flavours in the way many other countries' foods do, but it's definitely not some sort of boorish, unsophisticated slop.

If Korean BBQ and 분식 are what you're evaluating Korean food on, you're really missing out.

Also, Philly cream cheese is available on Gmarket. I ate some this morning. It was delicious and cheap.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #2728 on: November 21, 2016, 02:04:17 PM »
Also, Philly cream cheese is available on Gmarket. I ate some this morning. It was delicious and cheap.
]
Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2729 on: November 21, 2016, 02:14:22 PM »

I would like to point out that your comparison is absolutely terrible lol. First of all, France's land is MUCH better at growing things. France has probably the best land in Europe for farming. While Korea has mountains lol. Mountains, while good for defending your homeland, don't provide the best farming lands. Also, France's land borders many other countries. This provides opportunites for new foods, ideas, and all that other good stuff. Also, France's "down time" is nothing compared to South Korea's "down time".

Some criticial thinking and a tiny bit of knowledge about both countries goes a long way  :P

I'm not arguing with those points, and there are some Korean meals I quite enjoy.

There is just no reason that potato stems should be offered to me as often as they are!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2730 on: November 21, 2016, 02:16:23 PM »
]

A beautiful poison that I ingest with glee.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2731 on: November 21, 2016, 02:22:20 PM »

Whenever I google a Korean dish to learn more about it, this is true more often than not!

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2732 on: November 21, 2016, 02:38:09 PM »
]

Ain't nothing poison about that cream cheese life, bruh.

Unless it's like strawberry cream cheese. Ew.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #2733 on: November 21, 2016, 02:54:19 PM »
When I hear people making blanket statements about food here in Korea, it sounds exactly like the ignorant local who believes that the only foods in western countries are spaghetti, hamburgers and pizza.

Korean food doesn't have a huge palette of flavours in the way many other countries' foods do, but it's definitely not some sort of boorish, unsophisticated slop.

If Korean BBQ and 분식 are what you're evaluating Korean food on, you're really missing out.

Sounds like a lot of Korean food.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline Athena

• Waygookin
« Reply #2734 on: November 21, 2016, 02:54:34 PM »
My sister in law too will eat the whole damn shimp - head, shell, tail and all without a problem, but she refuses to eat the apple/grape/peach/etc skin lol. Hell, I've even seen her gnaw on crab legs too.

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2735 on: November 21, 2016, 02:58:39 PM »

It's not about the huge palette of flavours. It's about the refinement and complexity of the finished product. No one is judging Korean food on BBQ etc. But it's very difficult to find a Korean recipe that challenges my cooking ability, and I am by no means the worlds greatest cook.

The other problem is that only in Korea is "please understand our culture" a thing. Every where else Korean food and culture is simply judged on it's merits (or lack of).

This is pretty much what happens when someone who doesn't understand the Korean sensitivity to their food, and that is basically everyone in the world. Ok, sure it's airline food, but swamp soup, and stuff... yerh, we all know what they are talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y27ON8Z2kzM

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2736 on: November 21, 2016, 03:26:56 PM »

You can't compare people who actually live here and have to eat Korean food everyday  to the ignorant people who have never left their country.

But honestly, I wish BBQ and 분식 were all I had to evaluate Korean food on. Unfortunately I've been presented slop full of animal innards that would be considered garbage in other countries almost anytime I try to get a taste of the "real stuff."

Please tell us what amazing delectable dishes Koreans are hiding from us. I'd really like to know, because I'm tired of eating the same stuff over and over again or be faced with feeling like I'm eating peasant food. What are some quality foods that aren't soggy vegetables, covered in hot pepper sauce, or meat that's more than just gristle/fat/random bones sticking out everywhere (because apparently Koreans don't know how to properly butcher an animal)??

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2737 on: November 21, 2016, 04:00:08 PM »

You can't compare people who actually live here and have to eat Korean food everyday  to the ignorant people who have never left their country.

But honestly, I wish BBQ and 분식 were all I had to evaluate Korean food on. Unfortunately I've been presented slop full of animal innards that would be considered garbage in other countries almost anytime I try to get a taste of the "real stuff."

Please tell us what amazing delectable dishes Koreans are hiding from us. I'd really like to know, because I'm tired of eating the same stuff over and over again or be faced with feeling like I'm eating peasant food. What are some quality foods that aren't soggy vegetables, covered in hot pepper sauce, or meat that's more than just gristle/fat/random bones sticking out everywhere (because apparently Koreans don't know how to properly butcher an animal)??

산낙지
낙지 볶음밥
생선 구이
떡국 (My favorite)
잡채
김밥
초밥
수제비
냉면
장어구이
계란찜 (admittedly not a meal)
파전
떡볶이

Offline sligo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2738 on: November 21, 2016, 04:09:05 PM »

Erm... snails, pate (minced liver) Foie Grois (essentially Goose hapatitis), Cow's tongue, Tetines (cow's udders), calf pancreas.  I could go on, but there is no point.  All culture keep "peasant food" even after prosperity has arrived.  Frankly, i think they are the best examples of a culture food.  Give me haggis or a hotpot over a quiche anyday!

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2739 on: November 21, 2016, 04:11:54 PM »

I mean, obviously you can't compare people who've never left their countries to those who are living here in Korea and still complaining about the food. At least the person who's never left his or her country has an excuse for their ignorance.

But, back to you.

Korean BBQ is the lowest common denominator of food here. 95% of the time it's pleasantly edible, and that's it. At the end of the day, it's really just mediocre quality meat usually overcooked over fire. And 분식 is literally just Korean fast food.

I bolded your bit about 'peasant food' that you seemed to use like an insult. What's wrong with peasant food? Do you hate shepherd's pie? What about eggs? Sausages? Tacos? These are all peasant food, too. Not having a high-class origin story has no bearing on a food's quality.

You want foods that aren't vegetables, and don't have 고추장 or 고춧가루. Okay. That's kind of like going to North America and asking for foods that don't have onions or garlic, or going to India and turning your nose up at anything with cumin in it.

I don't really think there's anything I can suggest that you would like. Sorry. I really wish I could, but... yeah.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment