November 19, 2017, 10:20:57 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564731 times)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2660 on: November 22, 2016, 08:06:22 AM »
Well... it happened. Today was picture day and I was informed literally 5 minutes before the fact. I look even more a mess than usual today, and I had to hurriedly comb my hair in 3 minutes (an ordeal that usually takes half an hour). I also have a lovely pimple on my chin today and didn't even have makeup to cover it with.

At least the photo is representative, I guess.

Offline Whatgook

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2661 on: November 22, 2016, 08:07:36 AM »
I've been to 38 countries, used to be a food critic, and Korean food is easily in my top 5 cuisines, its fantastic. The moaners are all fat yanks who if they can't fry something and shove it in their face whole they aint happy.
It's good to know you enjoy Korean food, but nothing more can really be stated from your experience, as it is unique to you.

Very curious to know what your 38 countries were for Korean to be in your top 5.  That's amazing.

You must have never visited: Thailand, Turkey, Mexico, the U.S., Greece, Italy, Spain, Vietnam, Morocco, Venezuela...

If you have, then it's just you.

You know what they say about "food critics" ;)

Well if you read the above post you would see Spain and Thailand are in there. The US, like England, doesn't have a strong enough food heritage for me, rather the cuisine is made up of a lot of 'borrowing'. Nothing wrong with that of course. Turkey and Venezuela, the food is ok, just not as good as any of my top 5. Spain and Greece, they come a lot closer, but still don't edge any of my choices out. Never been to Mexico, Vietnam or Morocco, so unsure.

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2662 on: November 22, 2016, 08:42:48 AM »
Also, if you have trouble with chopsticks, most places do keep forks for when kids or tourists are eating.

ummm .... it's not the chopstick use i struggle with. read my post again. clearly no-one struggles with a spoon.

but you know, if you struggle with reading comprehension i am an English teacher, and would be more than happy to give you some lessons. my usual price is 50k per hour,  but i'll give you the special 'intellectually challenged' discount i give to my kids with Down Syndrome etc.

That made me laugh out loud  :laugh:

Between those two guys rippin each other and everyone else randomly taking a giant dump on food in the U.K, this thread is gold  :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh:

But then I remember I'm from the U.K.....  :cry:

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2663 on: November 22, 2016, 08:50:56 AM »
when i think of korean dishes, i actually struggle to think of a single dish that would require a decent amount of food prep to cook. it's a very lazy type of cuisine.

korean cooks are so lazy they even make you cook your own meat! (this sentence is a joke btw, in case it's not obvious).

You've clearly never tried to beat a dog to perfection.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2664 on: November 22, 2016, 09:04:56 AM »

This made me both laugh and cry.  :cry:

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2665 on: November 22, 2016, 09:33:06 AM »
when i think of korean dishes, i actually struggle to think of a single dish that would require a decent amount of food prep to cook. it's a very lazy type of cuisine.

korean cooks are so lazy they even make you cook your own meat! (this sentence is a joke btw, in case it's not obvious).

It's so strange to me to hear you say that because most traditional Korean dishes take hours to prepare.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2666 on: November 22, 2016, 09:36:25 AM »
Well... japchae is pretty involved. It's not difficult to make, but it requires a lot of prep.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2667 on: November 22, 2016, 09:44:13 AM »
A lot of the stews require boiling bones for a few hours to bring out the flavor properly.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2668 on: November 22, 2016, 09:47:20 AM »
A lot of the stews require boiling bones for a few hours to bring out the flavor properly.
That's soup in general, not just Korean soup. My mum's bacon bone soap would be boiled/simmered for like 24 hours.

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #2669 on: November 22, 2016, 09:48:49 AM »
Sick as a dog today but as usual no one cares. Today is my easy day but we have to have an unscheduled "english club activities" FML

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2670 on: November 22, 2016, 09:50:28 AM »

Sullangtang!! Wish a restaurant near me made it. Alas

I think a lot of people are mistaking simplicity for laziness; a lot of Korean food involves a lot prep time.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2671 on: November 22, 2016, 09:50:37 AM »
Well... japchae is pretty involved. It's not difficult to make, but it requires a lot of prep.

Quite a bit of holiday food (regardless of culture) is like that.  The idea is that your daughters and daughters-in-law do most of the work, and you take the credit.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2672 on: November 22, 2016, 09:55:21 AM »

Quite a bit of holiday food (regardless of culture) is like that.  The idea is that your daughters and daughters-in-law do most of the work, and you take the credit.

Especially the wife of the first-born son.

Yaki mandu is also a pain-in-the-ass to prep. But so delicious.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2673 on: November 22, 2016, 10:13:39 AM »
I'm really hungry right now and all this talk of food is turning my stomach inside out.

I'm super craving potatoes, too, and I know that potatoes aren't going to be part of lunch, so now I'm hangry.

Online Savant

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2674 on: November 22, 2016, 10:56:46 AM »
Also, if you have trouble with chopsticks, most places do keep forks for when kids or tourists are eating.

ummm .... it's not the chopstick use i struggle with. read my post again. clearly no-one struggles with a spoon.

but you know, if you struggle with reading comprehension i am an English teacher, and would be more than happy to give you some lessons. my usual price is 50k per hour,  but i'll give you the special 'intellectually challenged' discount i give to my kids with Down Syndrome etc.

That made me laugh out loud  :laugh:

Between those two guys rippin each other and everyone else randomly taking a giant dump on food in the U.K, this thread is gold  :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh:

But then I remember I'm from the U.K.....  :cry:

Naysayers, who haven't enjoyed the fine British dining experience that is Nando's.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2675 on: November 22, 2016, 12:57:34 PM »
Erm... snails, pate (minced liver) Foie Grois (essentially Goose hapatitis), Cow's tongue, Tetines (cow's udders), calf pancreas.  I could go on, but there is no point.  All culture keep "peasant food" even after prosperity has arrived.  Frankly, i think they are the best examples of a culture food.  Give me haggis or a hotpot over a quiche anyday!

have you ever eaten any of those dishes? i've had all of them, and all of them are superb. the difference is the way in which they're prepared, which is what gives them their flavor. if you took those things and just tossed them in a pot with some red pepper paste they would taste like garbage, of course.

and that was my entire point to begin with. that the way korean food is prepared is just super-lazy.

to give you another example - samgyetang. i love samgyetang, i think it tastes great, and i could eat it all day. but why is a half chicken just thrown in there? why do i have to struggle with a ****** spoon and chopsticks to try and get the meat off the bone? the soup should be cooked with the chicken in, the chicken removed, the edible meat properly cut from the bone and then placed back in the soup. but that would take effort and skill, something that is severely lacking from a lot (most?) of korean cooking.

Yeah, I agree with you. Part of what puts me off of Korean food is how hard it is to get to the actual good stuff. I don't like trying to eat around bones and cartilage. Where I'm from, that stuff goes in the garbage. It's unpleasant to eat if you're not used to it. Even if the food tastes good, I'm not interested in doing all the work that should have been done in the prep stages. The entire experience of eating a meal counts. And nothing wrong with putting it up to a lack of culinary evolution, either. If we can put just about everything else they do up to the fact that this is a recently developed & isolated nation, why wouldn't the food be similarly affected?

I will try some other things suggested in this thread, but I am rarely impressed by Korean food so even some of the suggestions y'all gave me are ones I've had and did not care for. I don't really care how many countries you have been to, though, it's still your own personal opinion. If Korean people can travel with suitcases full of kimchi and ramen so they don't have to eat the local foods of the countries they visit, I'm allowed to be unimpressed.

I've made japchae before and it took forever just because you have to cut up and cook everything separately, but honestly you're doing almost the same thing to all of the ingredients. Kind of hard to mess up.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2676 on: November 22, 2016, 01:07:55 PM »
I'm British and even I think the food here is shit, that must be saying something.

Just how dare you Jack.  The cheek of the Roxby.  Us Brits are all over the good food.  Cornish pasties and fish and chips, and pies.  Oh, the pies.  Did you eat all the pies Jack?  Is that it?

I've become sooooo defensive about British food since living here. I will sing the praises of every single British dish to any Korean that dare tell me our food is bad. Even if, and sometimes especially if, I think that food is bad myself.

:laugh: :laugh: This reminds me...

I met a Korean guy who lived abroad in England for most of his uni experience. He came back hating the food, but then went on to say that England had achieved nothing in any area of history or culture.

According to him, the UK had done nothing of note in the world of music, art, education, literature, pop culture... nothing. He told me the UK has excelled at nothing.

I wanted to ask him if that's the case, why are your parents spending their life savings to send you there for education?

Oh and another bit of cultural wisdom from him, Busan deserves the title of "City of Light" more than any other country in the world.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2677 on: November 22, 2016, 01:26:20 PM »
Yeah, to add to the never-ending debate on personal preference, Korean food is just not my jam.

Either it's fried without any seasoning whatsoever, thus defeating the purpose of fried food or it's stuff that's universally good anywhere but still not exceptional here (marinated meat, stir-fried noodles) or it's just whole fish or some sort of inedible pork or beef or who knows what plopped in some gochujang slurry. Oh and gotta love those roadside weeds that are cooked beyond recognition. No thanks.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #2678 on: November 22, 2016, 01:29:07 PM »
I'm British and even I think the food here is shit, that must be saying something.

Just how dare you Jack.  The cheek of the Roxby.  Us Brits are all over the good food.  Cornish pasties and fish and chips, and pies.  Oh, the pies.  Did you eat all the pies Jack?  Is that it?

I've become sooooo defensive about British food since living here. I will sing the praises of every single British dish to any Korean that dare tell me our food is bad. Even if, and sometimes especially if, I think that food is bad myself.

:laugh: :laugh: This reminds me...

I met a Korean guy who lived abroad in England for most of his uni experience. He came back hating the food, but then went on to say that England had achieved nothing in any area of history or culture.

According to him, the UK had done nothing of note in the world of music, art, education, literature, pop culture... nothing. He told me the UK has excelled at nothing.

I wanted to ask him if that's the case, why are your parents spending their life savings to send you there for education?

Oh and another bit of cultural wisdom from him, Busan deserves the title of "City of Light" more than any other country in the world.

This reads like a guy who is extremely backed up.

Poor, stupid, stupid, celibate guy.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2679 on: November 22, 2016, 01:42:44 PM »
I would be interested in watching a blind taste test to see how well people could name the dishes they had just tasted.

Of course, they would have to keep their mouths closed while chewing and wait to swallow before answering ;)