November 19, 2017, 01:47:29 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 563782 times)

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2640 on: November 21, 2016, 03:05:53 PM »
Erm... snails, pate (minced liver) Foie Grois (essentially Goose hapatitis), Cow's tongue, Tetines (cow's udders), calf pancreas.  I could go on, but there is no point.  All culture keep "peasant food" even after prosperity has arrived.  Frankly, i think they are the best examples of a culture food.  Give me haggis or a hotpot over a quiche anyday!

have you ever eaten any of those dishes? i've had all of them, and all of them are superb. the difference is the way in which they're prepared, which is what gives them their flavor. if you took those things and just tossed them in a pot with some red pepper paste they would taste like garbage, of course.

and that was my entire point to begin with. that the way korean food is prepared is just super-lazy.

to give you another example - samgyetang. i love samgyetang, i think it tastes great, and i could eat it all day. but why is a half chicken just thrown in there? why do i have to struggle with a ****** spoon and chopsticks to try and get the meat off the bone? the soup should be cooked with the chicken in, the chicken removed, the edible meat properly cut from the bone and then placed back in the soup. but that would take effort and skill, something that is severely lacking from a lot (most?) of korean cooking.

because the chicken is stuffed.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #2641 on: November 21, 2016, 03:08:41 PM »
because the chicken is stuffed.

I think that's why they said to cook it in whole, then disassemble it after for you. 

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #2642 on: November 21, 2016, 03:12:44 PM »
I'm British and even I think the food here is shit, that must be saying something.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2643 on: November 21, 2016, 03:17:12 PM »
Erm... snails, pate (minced liver) Foie Grois (essentially Goose hapatitis), Cow's tongue, Tetines (cow's udders), calf pancreas.  I could go on, but there is no point.  All culture keep "peasant food" even after prosperity has arrived.  Frankly, i think they are the best examples of a culture food.  Give me haggis or a hotpot over a quiche anyday!

have you ever eaten any of those dishes? i've had all of them, and all of them are superb. the difference is the way in which they're prepared, which is what gives them their flavor. if you took those things and just tossed them in a pot with some red pepper paste they would taste like garbage, of course.

and that was my entire point to begin with. that the way korean food is prepared is just super-lazy.

to give you another example - samgyetang. i love samgyetang, i think it tastes great, and i could eat it all day. but why is a half chicken just thrown in there? why do i have to struggle with a ****** spoon and chopsticks to try and get the meat off the bone? the soup should be cooked with the chicken in, the chicken removed, the edible meat properly cut from the bone and then placed back in the soup. but that would take effort and skill, something that is severely lacking from a lot (most?) of korean cooking.

Also, if you have trouble with chopsticks, most places do keep forks for when kids or tourists are eating.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooh Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrnnn

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2644 on: November 21, 2016, 03:20:55 PM »
I'm British and even I think the food here is shit, that must be saying something.

Just how dare you Jack.  The cheek of the Roxby.  Us Brits are all over the good food.  Cornish pasties and fish and chips, and pies.  Oh, the pies.  Did you eat all the pies Jack?  Is that it?

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2645 on: November 21, 2016, 03:21:28 PM »
Thankfully, you guys don't quite know how good you have it today, as when I first arrived there wasn't much of a selection with regards to produce or anything for that matter.

No beets, no celery, no bell peppers, no avocados, no rutabaga, no cilantro, no dill, no rosemary, no basil, no cherry tomatoes, no purple potatoes, no jalapeno peppers, no broccolli, no cauliflower, no alfalfa sprouts, no snow peas, no asparagus, etc., etc.

In the stores, you would find one variety of onion, one variety of potato, one variety of carrot, cow corn, Daikon, leeks, garlic, bean sprouts, and spinach, if you were lucky.

Same problem with fruits.

To this day, I still don't know why they don't grow several different varieties of things like onions, carrots, corn, potatoes, etc.

They understand "diversity" with relation to fungus, like mushrooms, as today their are several different varieties to choose from.

It's so very slow to change...

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2646 on: November 21, 2016, 03:25:13 PM »

Just how dare you Jack.  The cheek of the Roxby.  Us Brits are all over the good food.  Cornish pasties and fish and chips, and pies.  Oh, the pies.  Did you eat all the pies Jack?  Is that it?

I've become sooooo defensive about British food since living here. I will sing the praises of every single British dish to any Korean that dare tell me our food is bad. Even if, and sometimes especially if, I think that food is bad myself. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 03:28:03 PM by Jennipennypie »

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2647 on: November 21, 2016, 03:26:55 PM »
Who doesn't know how to use chopsticks?

Did you never eat Chinese food as a child?

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2648 on: November 21, 2016, 03:28:13 PM »
Thankfully, you guys don't quite know how good you have it today, as when I first arrived there wasn't much of a selection with regards to produce or anything for that matter.

No beets, no celery, no bell peppers, no avocados, no rutabaga, no cilantro, no dill, no rosemary, no basil, no cherry tomatoes, no purple potatoes, no jalapeno peppers, no broccolli, no cauliflower, no alfalfa sprouts, no snow peas, no asparagus, etc., etc.

In the stores, you would find one variety of onion, one variety of potato, one variety of carrot, cow corn, Daikon, leeks, garlic, bean sprouts, and spinach, if you were lucky.

Same problem with fruits.

To this day, I still don't know why they don't grow several different varieties of things like onions, carrots, corn, potatoes, etc.

They understand "diversity" with relation to fungus, like mushrooms, as today their are several different varieties to choose from.

It's so very slow to change...

This is true. Even just six years ago, which isn't particularly long, supermarkets and grocery stores were way different.

And yeah, like Pecan said - I don't really know why they don't diversify their crops more.

Although, I know the do grow sweet red onions, different varieties of tomatoes, and I've seen a few different types of potatoes. Just very limited in where you can find them. I think there just isn't enough commercial demand to set up production and distribution of 'new' fruits and vegetables locally on any large scale. Nobody wants to gamble on it, especially when the idea of what a potato or onion is here is so deeply entrenched in the communal food psyche. And that's a shame. I'd love to get some russet potatoes.

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #2649 on: November 21, 2016, 03:39:41 PM »
Locked myself out of my online banking (my fault) at KEB and can't log in.

Went to bank-nope.

Called-need a digital certificate.

Digital certificate needs a log in.

Cannot log in.

I accidentally typed my password incorrectly a few too many times. It took me about 20 minutes to figure it out, but you can reset the password and issue yourself a new certificate all on their English website. It's a bit irritating, but better than not having access to your bank account. And it was all in English.

Wrong.

Which part was wrong?
I have two choices: Digital certificate and phone. N/A or error message.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2650 on: November 21, 2016, 03:43:49 PM »
I do wish Korea would learn to fillet their fish.

Offline Whatgook

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2651 on: November 21, 2016, 03:46:33 PM »
I've been to 38 countries, used to be a food critic, and Korean food is easily in my top 5 cuisines, its fantastic. The moaners are all fat yanks who if they can't fry something and shove it in their face whole they aint happy.

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #2652 on: November 21, 2016, 03:54:01 PM »
I've been to 38 countries, used to be a food critic, and Korean food is easily in my top 5 cuisines, its fantastic. The moaners are all fat yanks who if they can't fry something and shove it in their face whole they aint happy.

I am legitimately curious to which countries you've been to, to arrive at this conclusion. I don't think I've been to 38 countries, but I don't believe I'd put Korean food in my top five. I'd also split some of the countries which I've been to into more than one group. For example China and Thailand get more than one group. Many others would, but I have not been, only eaten the food.

Now I'm beginning to think this is a troll post.

If I was to make fun, I'd guess your top five are:

Scottish
Irish
Welsh
English
Korean

I'm worried what I have wrote will bring on a lot of nationalistic food bragging. I cannot say I don't do this, on occasion.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2653 on: November 21, 2016, 03:57:14 PM »
Also, if you have trouble with chopsticks, most places do keep forks for when kids or tourists are eating.

ummm .... it's not the chopstick use i struggle with. read my post again. clearly no-one struggles with a spoon.

but you know, if you struggle with reading comprehension i am an English teacher, and would be more than happy to give you some lessons. my usual price is 50k per hour, but i'll give you the special 'intellectually challenged' discount i give to my kids with Down Syndrome etc.

Offline Whatgook

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2654 on: November 21, 2016, 03:59:44 PM »

I am legitimately curious to which countries you've been to, to arrive at this conclusion. I don't think I've been to 38 countries, but I don't believe I'd put Korean food in my top five. I'd also split some of the countries which I've been to into more than one group. For example China and Thailand get more than one group. Many others would, but I have not been, only eaten the food.

Now I'm beginning to think this is a troll post.

If I was to make fun, I'd guess your top five are:

Scottish
Irish
Welsh
English
Korean

I'm worried what I have wrote will bring on a lot of nationalistic food bragging. I cannot say I don't do this, on occasion.

No trolling here sir. English, admit our traditional food isn't great, not varied enough. Luckily you can eat well in England on other cuisines. Much like USA really. I would really struggle to place a definite top five, but my favourites are probably:
1) Thai
2) Italian
2) Japanese
4) Korean
5) Indian

Of course this is probably influenced by the fact I spent a good amount of time in all these countries. Also spent a good amount of time in all of South America, but found the cuisine to be a little disappointing. Of course there are some exceptions. Brazilian stews, Argentinian steaks, Pacific coast Cheviche, Chilean Chorillana. On the whole though, I found SA food to be a little too bland for my tastes.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2655 on: November 21, 2016, 04:03:51 PM »

Nope.

Canadian of French/Irish ancestry.  Mother was a home-ec teacher, her mom was a farm-wife.

My paternal grandfather was a cook.

My first wife was a chef.

I'll put my own cooking up against yours "Iron Chef" style any day.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2656 on: November 21, 2016, 04:07:04 PM »
It's good to know you enjoy Korean food, but nothing more can really be stated from your experience, as it is unique to you.

Very curious to know what your 38 countries were for Korean to be in your top 5.  That's amazing.

You must have never visited: Thailand, Turkey, Mexico, the U.S., Greece, Italy, Spain, Vietnam, Morocco, Venezuela...

If you have, then it's just you.

You know what they say about "food critics" ;)

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2657 on: November 21, 2016, 04:11:29 PM »
It's good to know you enjoy Korean food, but nothing more can really be stated from your experience, as it is unique to you.

Very curious to know what your 38 countries were for Korean to be in your top 5.  That's amazing.

You must have never visited: Thailand, Turkey, Mexico, the U.S., Greece, Italy, Spain, Vietnam, Morocco, Venezuela...

If you have, then it's just you.

You know what they say about "food critics" ;)

Now I want Vietnamese food... Or Greek food... Or....

Damn you!

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2658 on: November 21, 2016, 04:46:14 PM »

ummm .... it's not the chopstick use i struggle with. read my post again. clearly no-one struggles with a spoon.

but you know, if you struggle with reading comprehension i am an English teacher, and would be more than happy to give you some lessons. my usual price is 50k per hour,  but i'll give you the special 'intellectually challenged' discount i give to my kids with Down Syndrome etc.

That made me laugh out loud  :laugh:

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2659 on: November 21, 2016, 05:30:01 PM »
Korean food ranked in top 5 because of which one,

this:

or this:

?