November 18, 2017, 11:49:28 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 563648 times)

Offline Whatgook

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2600 on: November 18, 2016, 02:53:14 PM »
why is all the food in this country always prepared in the laziest way possible? ordered a shrimp pizza from 59 Pizza last night. of course the shrimp still had their tails on. on a frikken pizza. tried to just eat them with the tails on but the tails were too hard to bite into comfortably. ended up having to pick the shrimp off and eat them by themselves. urgh.

A) You're Kobayashi, you can eat anything.

B) Koreans eat the tails.

if shrimp are fried the shell and tail goes nice and crunchy and you can eat the whole thing. if they are boiled or baked (like on a pizza), the shell and tail just gets too chewy to eat nicely.

I'm both with you and not with you on this one. I also don't eat the tails, as I agree they're chewy. However my wife and other Koreans I know do eat the tails. So it's not 'lazy', it's a different culture you're living in. Stop bishin'

Offline chris0206

• Veteran
« Reply #2601 on: November 18, 2016, 03:05:20 PM »
Additionally, Korean garlic only comes pre-peeled (from what I've seen) and I used about a million cloves but they'd all lost their flavor after being exposed like that.

If you go to a street market you should be able to find them unpeeled

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2602 on: November 18, 2016, 03:08:19 PM »
Additionally, Korean garlic only comes pre-peeled (from what I've seen) and I used about a million cloves but they'd all lost their flavor after being exposed like that.
Oh no, they definitely sell the whole clove, unpeeled. That's what I buy.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2603 on: November 18, 2016, 03:12:13 PM »

Oh yeah, right.  Don't you have to buy like 5 kilos of it then!?  I want like one head.  I actually brought back a head of garlic when I went to America last.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2604 on: November 18, 2016, 03:13:38 PM »

Oh yeah, right.  Don't you have to buy like 5 kilos of it then!?  I want like one head.  I actually brought back a head of garlic when I went to America last.
Well, it's more than one clove, but when I buy it unpeeled it's about 5 or 6 cloves. So not a crazy amount.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2605 on: November 18, 2016, 03:29:09 PM »
why is all the food in this country always prepared in the laziest way possible? ordered a shrimp pizza from 59 Pizza last night. of course the shrimp still had their tails on. on a frikken pizza. tried to just eat them with the tails on but the tails were too hard to bite into comfortably. ended up having to pick the shrimp off and eat them by themselves. urgh.

A) You're Kobayashi, you can eat anything.

B) Koreans eat the tails.

if shrimp are fried the shell and tail goes nice and crunchy and you can eat the whole thing. if they are boiled or baked (like on a pizza), the shell and tail just gets too chewy to eat nicely.

I'm both with you and not with you on this one. I also don't eat the tails, as I agree they're chewy. However my wife and other Koreans I know do eat the tails. So it's not 'lazy', it's a different culture you're living in. Stop bishin'

this is just one of many different examples i could give. another - how they'll just throw an entire fish into a soup. head, guts and all, not filleted or anything.

when i think of korean dishes, i actually struggle to think of a single dish that would require a decent amount of food prep to cook. it's a very lazy type of cuisine.

korean cooks are so lazy they even make you cook your own meat! (this sentence is a joke btw, in case it's not obvious).

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #2606 on: November 18, 2016, 03:34:38 PM »
when i think of korean dishes, i actually struggle to think of a single dish that would require a decent amount of food prep to cook. it's a very lazy type of cuisine.

Yeah, I've said this before. Korean cuisine is a lot of preparing. There isn't a huge amount of culinary skill involved in a lot of it. Don't get me wrong, I like Korean food. Biut it doesn't make me wonder, in awe, at the magic of it's cooking.

Anyone can throw kimchi jjigae together. Or budae jjigae. Or Kimbap. Or bibimbap.

Lasagna? That takes some goddamn skill to make it well.

Does anyone think the lack of oven culture here has stunted the growth of the national cuisine?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #2607 on: November 18, 2016, 03:49:34 PM »

Beg to differ. With ready to go pasta sheets it's pretty straight forward these days. All you have to do is cook up a standard pasta sauce with ground beef and the rest is just layering the stuff in the pan. Unless you have a particularly complex version in mind. 

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2608 on: November 18, 2016, 08:00:59 PM »
i'd say lasagne is one of the easiest things to cook. at least, one of the hardest things to **** up

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2609 on: November 18, 2016, 08:31:20 PM »

Yeah, I've said this before. Korean cuisine is a lot of preparing. There isn't a huge amount of culinary skill involved in a lot of it. Don't get me wrong, I like Korean food. Biut it doesn't make me wonder, in awe, at the magic of it's cooking.

Anyone can throw kimchi jjigae together. Or budae jjigae. Or Kimbap. Or bibimbap.

Does anyone think the lack of oven culture here has stunted the growth of the national cuisine?

Doesn't seem to bother the Japanese, who are just as rigid and suspicious of change as the Koreans (if not more so).
Korean cuisine simply lacks imagination and creativity.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #2610 on: November 18, 2016, 10:38:05 PM »
I assume neither of you have had lasagna here in Korea. *shudders*

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2611 on: November 19, 2016, 12:36:59 AM »
I assume neither of you have had lasagna here in Korea. *shudders*

I'd rather my cat use my testes as a scratching post.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2612 on: November 21, 2016, 08:46:23 AM »
I'm always amazed at how some of my CTs decide what information is important and what isn't in terms of what they pass on to me.

How did I not find out about the five extra students who suddenly joined my morning class?  Or the schedule change that meant nothing was prepared?  The students with learning difficulties who are just milling around in my classroom and won't even respond to my Korean let alone English - why are they here right now, what do you want me to do with them, which class do they belong to?

All actual examples of things I should have been told about because they have a real impact on my classes.  But my CTs deemed all of that information, not important enough to tell me.

Yet...if there's an opportunity to suddenly research all the ingredients that are in the tea being passed around the office, write a list of them in English and give to me, consider it done!

Maybe I'm being harsh and information does just slip their minds, but they never ever forget to tell me the absolutely useless stuff that has no bearing on anything whatsoever  :evil:

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2613 on: November 21, 2016, 09:52:53 AM »
For me I just get the feeling Korean cuisine was made to avoid starving to death, rather than pretty much every other cultures cuisine that was made for both not starving to death and enjoyment.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2614 on: November 21, 2016, 10:23:16 AM »
For me I just get the feeling Korean cuisine was made to avtoid starving to death, rather than pretty much every other cultures cuisine that was made for both not starving to death and enjoyment.

I like to point out that France has also suffered war and starvation, but when peace and wealth returned they STOPPED eating the gross stuff.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2615 on: November 21, 2016, 10:32:43 AM »
For me I just get the feeling Korean cuisine was made to avoid starving to death, rather than pretty much every other cultures cuisine that was made for both not starving to death and enjoyment.

You clearly don't understand the culinary subtleties of mountain grass, dog meat stew.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2616 on: November 21, 2016, 11:06:12 AM »
It's truly disheartening to listen to the KT make the kids recite entire dialogues on a solo basis.

"Hi Andy I'm Duri Hello Duri I'm Uju Hi Tori Bye What's this? It's a dog. What's that it's a bird. Hi Andy! Happy Birthday. This is for you. Thank you.... (and so on and so on)"

:blank: :blank: :cry: :blank: :blank:

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #2617 on: November 21, 2016, 11:18:55 AM »

You clearly don't understand the culinary subtleties of mountain grass, dog meat stew.

Korean food would fit better in the bottom half, than top half of cuisines, but there are reasons, both in and out of their control that made it so.

Cold climate means less good stuff grows. Isolationism means their food has less variety and fewer tasty dimensions.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2618 on: November 21, 2016, 11:35:21 AM »
For me I just get the feeling Korean cuisine was made to avtoid starving to death, rather than pretty much every other cultures cuisine that was made for both not starving to death and enjoyment.

I like to point out that France has also suffered war and starvation, but when peace and wealth returned they STOPPED eating the gross stuff.
Although we have refrigerators and freezers, etc.  Many still preserve things in more antiquated ways due to tradition and custom.

My grandfather loved lutefisk, though there was no longer a need to soak cod in poison.

We all have odd eating habits and traditions.

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2619 on: November 21, 2016, 11:54:43 AM »

I would like to point out that your comparison is absolutely terrible lol. First of all, France's land is MUCH better at growing things. France has probably the best land in Europe for farming. While Korea has mountains lol. Mountains, while good for defending your homeland, don't provide the best farming lands. Also, France's land borders many other countries. This provides opportunites for new foods, ideas, and all that other good stuff. Also, France's "down time" is nothing compared to South Korea's "down time".

Some criticial thinking and a tiny bit of knowledge about both countries goes a long way  :P