September 25, 2017, 06:56:52 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 490406 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2560 on: November 11, 2016, 03:49:23 PM »
Yeah. Or you could just say ddeok is kind of like mochi. Like, almost everyone already knows what mochi is, so you can just tell them it's the Korean version.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #2561 on: November 11, 2016, 03:50:57 PM »
*오뎅
#basedcoyboyshirt proving once again how much fun he is once again with some classic spelling-Nazism. What a fun, fun man you are.

Death to Spelling/Grammar Anarchists!

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2562 on: November 11, 2016, 03:58:20 PM »
This bitch literally claps her hands for 5 minutes when putting on lotion.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: can't stop laughing at this!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2563 on: November 11, 2016, 04:01:56 PM »
Yeah, sure school. Move my absolute worst class full of monsters to sixth period, Friday afternoon. That will go well.

It did not.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2564 on: November 11, 2016, 04:04:51 PM »
*오뎅
#basedcoyboyshirt proving once again how much fun he is once again with some classic spelling-Nazism. What a fun, fun man you are.

Death to Spelling/Grammar Anarchists!

Nice. Also, I mean, I don't think it's too nitpicky to correct a word that's literally two characters long. If someone spelled 'dog' wrong, you'd probably correct them.

Just trying to spread some #based love and #positivity here. Wow. #rare must collect.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2565 on: November 11, 2016, 04:31:04 PM »
I was asked to help my coteachers decide on the winners of the book report poster competition.  They gave me several to compare, and I would choose the one I thought was best. Two of the ones they had me compare were so off-putting in terms of content I couldn't vote for either, but in the end they made me choose one.

The first was a letter to the Ugly Duckling saying that she felt bad for him and reading the ugly duckling made her reconsider how she had purposefully avoided her sister, who is "fat, ugly, and even stupid." Gah! Wtf!

The second said she thought Obama was like the ugly duckling, and included the blatant historical error that blacks were still enslaved when Obama was a child, and even implied that Obama himself had been a slave. Seriously???

When pressed, I went for the first, because even though it was really harsh, it was better written and didn't have a ridiculous error. My coteachers seemed to be leaning towards the Obama one, and tried to make it like it wasn't really a big deal to make a mistake like that, and I was only offended because it's my country and my president. Well... duh. Of course. I asked them to consider if a student had written that Park Geun-Hye had grown up in North Korea and a light seemed to go off in their heads.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2566 on: November 11, 2016, 04:34:13 PM »
I was asked to help my coteachers decide on the winners of the book report poster competition.  They gave me several to compare, and I would choose the one I thought was best. Two of the ones they had me compare were so off-putting in terms of content I couldn't vote for either, but in the end they made me choose one.

The first was a letter to the Ugly Duckling saying that she felt bad for him and reading the ugly duckling made her reconsider how she had purposefully avoided her sister, who is "fat, ugly, and even stupid." Gah! Wtf!

The second said she thought Obama was like the ugly duckling, and included the blatant historical error that blacks were still enslaved when Obama was a child, and even implied that Obama himself had been a slave. Seriously???

When pressed, I went for the first, because even though it was really harsh, it was better written and didn't have a ridiculous error. My coteachers seemed to be leaning towards the Obama one, and tried to make it like it wasn't really a big deal to make a mistake like that, and I was only offended because it's my country and my president. Well... duh. Of course. I asked them to consider if a student had written that Park Geun-Hye had grown up in North Korea and a light seemed to go off in their heads.

Fair.

Although, it's good to keep in mind that a lot of the time, kids don't unironically believe the stuff they put on posters. They do it because posters are goofy and they just want to be funny.

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #2567 on: November 11, 2016, 04:34:20 PM »
So I went to the eye doctor (an eye clinic, not the optical store) yesterday with my coteacher and it was a disaster. (To recap: been feeling sick in the way that I usually do when I need new glasses, but got new glasses and am still feeling sick.)

They checked my eyes, and they examination indicated that the prescription on my new glasses is correct and doesn't need to be adjusted. Then they took a picture of my eyeballs to see if there was an issue with the nerves and that was fine too. Basically, they couldn't find any problems.

That would be fine if they said like "we couldn't find any problems with your glasses or your eyes; perhaps you should go to [other kind of doctor] because if it's not en eye problem it might be [other kind of problem]"

But no. Oh, no. Instead, the eye doctor went on this long rant to my coteacher about how there's absolutely nothing wrong with my eyes or with my glasses and he doesn't even think I need glasses and asks why I even wear them in the first place. For a good 5-10 minutes he goes on and on and I hear him repeatedly say "doesn't need glasses" and "no eye problems."

I had tried to explain to my coteacher before that I know my prescription is very weak, but without glasses I feel sick to my stomach whenever reading/looking at anything in close-mid range. Relatedly, my eyes are very sensitive so if my prescription is off by even a little bit I get that sick to my stomach feeling. I explained this to her several times very patiently and using as simple language as I could when she was having trouble understanding, but she still didn't seem to understand because after the doctor's rant she asked me "Why do you wear glasses if they make you feel sick?" #$%$##$%

Because she couldn't understand me, and could easily understand the eye doctor's nonsensical rant about how I don't need glasses, she was convinced that I don't need them and wear them for.... fun??

The only silver lining of this is that if it had been the US I would've paid 100+ dollars to get a total non-answer but here it was only 12. My problem is still unsolved, I haven't gotten any helpful information ("Maybe it's because of stress? Are you getting enough sleep?"), and I'm not sure what the next step is. I'm unproductive because I feel like I'm going to vomit out of my eye sockets for at least an hour a day.

I even tried not wearing my glasses today but I could only go 2 hours before the eye strain got uncomfortable, on the off chance that my 5 years of wearing glasses and the many eye doctors I've seen in the US were somehow wrong.

ugh

Your poor coteacher... you couldn't ask a friend to go? Maybe you should go to the hospital?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2568 on: November 11, 2016, 04:38:23 PM »
[eye doctor nightmare]

ugh

Your poor coteacher... you couldn't ask a friend to go? Maybe you should go to the hospital?

I might try to go this weekend when I see my friend. It's just been a few weeks and when I wasn't feeling better after having new glasses for a week I just wanted to go in as soon as I could, and my friend lives too far to come over on weekdays.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #2569 on: November 11, 2016, 04:43:34 PM »

But the story made her reconsider avoiding her sister. So the story worked? It's not great what she did, but she's opening her eyes to the lesson inherent in that story. What's the problem?
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2570 on: November 11, 2016, 04:43:40 PM »
So I went to the eye doctor (an eye clinic, not the optical store) yesterday with my coteacher and it was a disaster. (To recap: been feeling sick in the way that I usually do when I need new glasses, but got new glasses and am still feeling sick.)

They checked my eyes, and they examination indicated that the prescription on my new glasses is correct and doesn't need to be adjusted. Then they took a picture of my eyeballs to see if there was an issue with the nerves and that was fine too. Basically, they couldn't find any problems.

That would be fine if they said like "we couldn't find any problems with your glasses or your eyes; perhaps you should go to [other kind of doctor] because if it's not en eye problem it might be [other kind of problem]"

But no. Oh, no. Instead, the eye doctor went on this long rant to my coteacher about how there's absolutely nothing wrong with my eyes or with my glasses and he doesn't even think I need glasses and asks why I even wear them in the first place. For a good 5-10 minutes he goes on and on and I hear him repeatedly say "doesn't need glasses" and "no eye problems."

I had tried to explain to my coteacher before that I know my prescription is very weak, but without glasses I feel sick to my stomach whenever reading/looking at anything in close-mid range. Relatedly, my eyes are very sensitive so if my prescription is off by even a little bit I get that sick to my stomach feeling. I explained this to her several times very patiently and using as simple language as I could when she was having trouble understanding, but she still didn't seem to understand because after the doctor's rant she asked me "Why do you wear glasses if they make you feel sick?" #$%$##$%

Because she couldn't understand me, and could easily understand the eye doctor's nonsensical rant about how I don't need glasses, she was convinced that I don't need them and wear them for.... fun??

The only silver lining of this is that if it had been the US I would've paid 100+ dollars to get a total non-answer but here it was only 12. My problem is still unsolved, I haven't gotten any helpful information ("Maybe it's because of stress? Are you getting enough sleep?"), and I'm not sure what the next step is. I'm unproductive because I feel like I'm going to vomit out of my eye sockets for at least an hour a day.

I even tried not wearing my glasses today but I could only go 2 hours before the eye strain got uncomfortable, on the off chance that my 5 years of wearing glasses and the many eye doctors I've seen in the US were somehow wrong.

ugh

Yeah... you seem like a nice human being, Moonbrie, but - I feel like you're asking a little above and beyond what should be expected of a coteacher. Like... maybe go to a hospital. If you're feeling nauseated all the time, that could be a sign of something bad that you might want to get checked out. I know going to the doc here in Korea is challenging and extra spooky, but sometimes you just have to do it. Also, even in rural areas, any doctor under 40 is going to speak competent English. They might be a bit reluctant, but eventually you'll be able to find someone to help you.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2571 on: November 11, 2016, 04:44:14 PM »

Fair.

Although, it's good to keep in mind that a lot of the time, kids don't unironically believe the stuff they put on posters. They do it because posters are goofy and they just want to be funny.

Perhaps, but these are the like finalist posters for a middle school contest and it seemed like they took them pretty seriously. Either way, in jest or as a terrible mistake I couldn't overlook something like that.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2572 on: November 11, 2016, 04:45:32 PM »

But the story made her reconsider avoiding her sister. So the story worked? It's not great what she did, but she's opening her eyes to the lesson inherent in that story. What's the problem?

I just thought there were better posters but I was forced to choose between these two because they were by third-graders and "the first graders have more opportunities to win" since they'll submit posters in second and third grade as well.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2573 on: November 11, 2016, 04:45:33 PM »

Waygook.org user CO2 has a point. If she learned to love her sister, despite her sister allegedly being "fat, ugly, and even stupid" then it sounds like she's made some progress. Plus, maybe she's just joking. Maybe she doesn't even have a sister.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #2574 on: November 11, 2016, 04:52:48 PM »
Waygook.org user CO2 has a point. If she learned to love her sister, despite her sister allegedly being "fat, ugly, and even stupid" then it sounds like she's made some progress. Plus, maybe she's just joking. Maybe she doesn't even have a sister.

So, official.  :afro:

Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2575 on: November 11, 2016, 04:53:28 PM »

ugh

Yeah... you seem like a nice human being, Moonbrie, but - I feel like you're asking a little above and beyond what should be expected of a coteacher. Like... maybe go to a hospital. If you're feeling nauseated all the time, that could be a sign of something bad that you might want to get checked out. I know going to the doc here in Korea is challenging and extra spooky, but sometimes you just have to do it. Also, even in rural areas, any doctor under 40 is going to speak competent English. They might be a bit reluctant, but eventually you'll be able to find someone to help you.

:undecided: I was under the impression that helping with things we couldn't achieve without a Korean speaker was part of the handler coteacher's duties. I haven't asked her to help me with hospital/clinic visits before this because they weren't very complicated and could easily be conducted with my Korean and a translation app.  (I've gotten sick a lot here, and had to go to the clinic 3 or 4 times in the past few months)

Also, I didn't mean to sound like I was mad at my coteacher. I was very appreciative that she took me to the eye doctor. I was just frustrated at the feeling that she was listening to the eye doctor's crap and not trying very hard to understand me; but even then, I was more upset with the eye doctor ranting on and on about how I'm stupid and don't need glasses in such a way that he even convinced her.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 04:59:27 PM by moonbrie »

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2576 on: November 11, 2016, 04:54:04 PM »
I feel like they should put the female NETs with a male co teacher. All I ever here on here from a female female team is constant bickering, bitching and fighting. The female male combinations seems to produce less of that shite. Sue me.

Less bickering.......

but when I had a male co teacher I was treated like a child, belittled and perved at. He was a bit older and was obviously trying to be nice but it would make my skin crawl. He would also randomly scream at the students for no reason.
 The younger male co teacher I had would distract the boys in the class, obviously wanting to be their brother and feel like a cool teacher.

I've never had problems with co-teachers but bickering seems way more easy. Even with the above teachers I just shut up and played the EPIK co teaching game and as far as I know they loved me.

It sounds so backwards and if this were home I would totally disagree...but I feel like here in Korea its way more comfortable to put male with male and female with female. This isn't true all of the time sure...but sadly it mostly is.

Haha students at my school complained when my 60 year old male ct shared his umbrella with me when we walked across the schoolyard to lunch one day in the pouring rain.

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2577 on: November 11, 2016, 04:55:17 PM »
it wasn't really a big deal to make a mistake like that, and I was only offended because it's my country and my president.

this coming from people who are from a country that has an actual ****** website where foreigners can go to to report inaccurate facts about south korea they may have seen or read somewhere  :rolleyes:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2578 on: November 11, 2016, 04:56:05 PM »
it wasn't really a big deal to make a mistake like that, and I was only offended because it's my country and my president.

this coming from people who are from a country that has an actual ****** website where foreigners can go to to report inaccurate facts about south korea they may have seen or read somewhere  :rolleyes:

hahahah omg I had no idea about that. Wow.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2579 on: November 11, 2016, 05:02:32 PM »

Hey, I did choose it over the Obama one lol
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 05:09:21 PM by moonbrie »

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment