November 19, 2017, 08:22:41 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564602 times)

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2520 on: November 16, 2016, 09:15:31 AM »
You have to pay extra for the milk. It's a separate purchase from any school fund.

Okay.  That's surprising to me since no one ever mentioned it to me and there's one teacher that gives hers to me a few times a week.  Why doesn't she just not pay for it?

It's not something you pay for each time, they deduct it monthly as a lump sum. So you're either all in, or you're out.

With that being said, maybe she felt pressured to do it because everyone else was doing it. Also could be that she doesn't always want it but wants it enough times that she doesn't want to opt out of the program. Or maybe she thought she'd drink it more often but it turns out that milk really isn't her thing, or it could be she feels bad for you and wants you to have it sometimes.

My own school asked me if I wanted to opt in, but I said "no" because I knew it would be the Seoul milk brand (it always is) and I hate that brand. When I started bringing my own, the teachers were like, "Why didn't you just opt for the program?" And they can't really understand why I don't like Seoul milk because it's supposed to be really good quality milk.

No, it's not. It tastes weird to me and I don't want it.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:23:56 AM by Chinguetti »

YoungMin

« Reply #2521 on: November 16, 2016, 09:30:18 AM »
You have to pay extra for the milk. It's a separate purchase from any school fund.

Okay.  That's surprising to me since no one ever mentioned it to me and there's one teacher that gives hers to me a few times a week.  Why doesn't she just not pay for it?

It's not something you pay for each time, they deduct it monthly as a lump sum. So you're either all in, or you're out.

With that being said, maybe she felt pressured to do it because everyone else was doing it. Also could be that she doesn't always want it but wants it enough times that she doesn't want to opt out of the program. Or maybe she thought she'd drink it more often but it turns out that milk really isn't her thing, or it could be she feels bad for you and wants you to have it sometimes.

My own school asked me if I wanted to opt in, but I said "no" because I knew it would be the Seoul milk brand (it always is) and I hate that brand. When I started bringing my own, the teachers were like, "Why didn't you just opt for the program?" And they can't really understand why I don't like Seoul milk because it's supposed to be really good quality milk.

I like this one the best...

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2522 on: November 16, 2016, 09:32:53 AM »
Milk is gross and I hate it. Especially when it's warm, which it always IS whenever someone gives me a carton of milk at school. When they give it to me, I'm reminded of that Kanye West twitter rant about waking up next to a water bottle on an airplane.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #2523 on: November 16, 2016, 09:53:14 AM »

This is correct (although the milk is free for the students -- it's just teachers/staff who have to pay for it if they want it).

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2524 on: November 16, 2016, 09:56:05 AM »

I'm also quite apprehensive about milk in this country since I can't tell exactly what any of it is... I'd prefer whole milk as it's a whole food...

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2525 on: November 16, 2016, 10:10:10 AM »
Milk is gross and I hate it. Especially when it's warm, which it always IS whenever someone gives me a carton of milk at school. When they give it to me, I'm reminded of that Kanye West twitter rant about waking up next to a water bottle on an airplane.

My first reaction to seeing milk just in a crate in the hallway was that everyone was gunna die from spoiled milk.  I agree that milk is gross (unless its for cooking) and I can't imagine paying for lukewarm milk.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2526 on: November 16, 2016, 10:34:45 AM »

This is correct (although the milk is free for the students -- it's just teachers/staff who have to pay for it if they want it).

i'm always amazed at the sheer amount of stuff kids in this country get for free. milk, school lunch, even stationary like glue, scissors, compasses for math ... all free. pretty much everything and anything they need for school is just given as a hand out. great for the poor kids out in the rural areas who really need it, but when you have 10 year old kids walking into class wearing North Face down jackets like they do in my city .... perhaps the government could spend that money better in certain regions.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2527 on: November 16, 2016, 10:41:01 AM »
I like this one the best...

I purchase "organic" milk from a local COOP whenever I can... not because I feel it's healthiest or whatever, but because it really does taste so much better than most of the milk sold here.

But when I can't have it (sells out a lot where I live), I go with GT from the local market. Especially fond of GT's Einstein milk (I think it's supposed to be for kids, but whatever, I like it).

I'm also quite apprehensive about milk in this country since I can't tell exactly what any of it is... I'd prefer whole milk as it's a whole food...

I was the same originally, but I've made my peace with it because I gotta have milk. It's the source of my power.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2528 on: November 16, 2016, 10:47:05 AM »
I've almost entirely given up cow's milk for almond milk. That stuff is addictive.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2529 on: November 16, 2016, 10:49:06 AM »
I've almost entirely given up cow's milk for almond milk. That stuff is addictive.

I saw some almond dream banana almond milk at a mini stop.  Is that exclusive to Korea or is that a thing?

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2530 on: November 16, 2016, 10:51:56 AM »

... She goes on to leave used tissues all over my desk...

That's completely disgusting and entirely passive aggressive  :huh:

Could very well be. Then again, she is extremely untidy and leaving tissues on the desk (which we share), seems about right.
On the hike, all the teachers sat down to share food from a single large bowl. Hacking and sneezing away she heartily indulged whilst her, and all the other teachers, seemed perplexed and perturbed by the fact that I kept my distance and opted not to eat from the same bowl as her and 8 other people.

Ah, a shared desk. Maybe not intentionally passive aggressive then but still disgusting. Hurk

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2531 on: November 16, 2016, 11:17:35 AM »

... She goes on to leave used tissues all over my desk...

That's completely disgusting and entirely passive aggressive  :huh:

Could very well be. Then again, she is extremely untidy and leaving tissues on the desk (which we share), seems about right.
On the hike, all the teachers sat down to share food from a single large bowl. Hacking and sneezing away she heartily indulged whilst her, and all the other teachers, seemed perplexed and perturbed by the fact that I kept my distance and opted not to eat from the same bowl as her and 8 other people.

Ah, a shared desk. Maybe not intentionally passive aggressive then but still disgusting. Hurk

My one co-teacher last year used to leave her used tissues all over my desk--sometimes on my open book--but then would proceed to passive-aggressively suggest that my desk is messy.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2532 on: November 16, 2016, 11:25:42 AM »

i'm always amazed at the sheer amount of stuff kids in this country get for free. milk, school lunch, even stationary like glue, scissors, compasses for math ... all free. pretty much everything and anything they need for school is just given as a hand out. great for the poor kids out in the rural areas who really need it, but when you have 10 year old kids walking into class wearing North Face down jackets like they do in my city .... perhaps the government could spend that money better in certain regions.

The free lunch for everyone thing is a fairly recent development, having only been implemented about three years ago. That's actually why some provinces cut their NET numbers by as much as 50% a few years ago: They needed the money for the new programs like lunch and day care, but without a tax increase to pay for them, they had to find the money elsewhere. In this case, "elsewhere" ended up  being the English program.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2533 on: November 16, 2016, 11:39:31 AM »
Hindsight being 20/20, do you know understand what you did was wrong?

I ask, because it didn't sound like it from you post.

It sounded more like you were justifying it, rather than accepting responsibility for making trouble.

He said he didn't know it was a test question, so your earlier complaint didn't apply to that situation. He wasn't trying to meddle or second guessing the KETs, he was just answering a question a student had.  He wasn't "inserting himself," and he couldn't have "redirected them to ask the teacher who made the test," because he didn't even know it was from a test.

So hindsight being 20/20, do you see now how what you said doesn't apply to him there?
Well, you are either simply being ignorant or taking the piss, because only a mouth-breather would think that a student would ever ask you an English exam question for "shits-n-giggles", especially someone who is a known "ringer".

That is why, as others have said countless times, when asked a question, you ask "Why?" before sticking your foot in your mouth.

I had this happen once. Kid asked me like a week after getting their test back about something during class as I was walking around monitoring an activity. If I asked every kid who asked me a question why they were asking that question I wouldn't have time to teach...
Hey, you do it your way!  Give your opinion about questions from a test that you didn't write, nor edit!!!

When your relationship with your coteacher turns to crap, just don't come here and act the fool, like you don't know how it happened.

One time.
In three years.

My CT was like wtf. I was like woops sorry.
Then we had lunch and complained about the bad kids.

Far superior to the following;

Student: How do you spell _____?
Me: Why do you want to know?
Kid: Blank stare of complete incomprehension.

Every 30 seconds for 4-6 classes a day.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2534 on: November 16, 2016, 11:40:47 AM »
Urg.

1.  We have the 1.5 hour delayed start tomorrow for the university exam... but they've just shifted the day and erased 7th hour, which I'm not scheduled for, so none of my classes are canceled.

2.  The mugunghwa train is so goddamn crowded since they've canceled a few of the routes.  They've been running out of standing tickets more and more lately which forces me to just sneak on because I'm not going to wait over two hours for the next one.  If this was in my country I would be writing and calling the company to complain every day.  I can't be the only one mega inconvenienced by this.

3.  Every single day all the students and teachers who aren't me are given a carton of milk.  They give me so many shitty rice cakes and other gross bs every day that I don't want, and the milk would be the one thing I do want.  I don't understand why I don't get it... I pay into the school fund...  Luckily a few of the teachers give me theirs if they don't want it that day.

Your waygook.org username seems like a bit of a misnomer.

Also, regarding the train: You sneak on the train (read: you don't pay, so you're literally stealing). You know that's illegal, right? Stealing? Tickets for trains, especially the old, slow ones, especially not on peak days like national holidays, only sell out (if they do sell out at all) if you leave it until the very last minute before you try to buy it. I've even bought tickets as late as the night before and I've never encountered any being sold out for standing tickets, unless it was Chuseok or something.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2535 on: November 16, 2016, 11:49:41 AM »

I saw some almond dream banana almond milk at a mini stop.  Is that exclusive to Korea or is that a thing?

Probably a Korea thing. They love their banana milk here. I tried the Blue Diamond "Almond Breeze" banana flavor once. Not my thing. I prefer original or unsweetened. Less than 200 calories in an entire liter and tasty!

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #2536 on: November 16, 2016, 11:59:50 AM »
Urg.

1.  We have the 1.5 hour delayed start tomorrow for the university exam... but they've just shifted the day and erased 7th hour, which I'm not scheduled for, so none of my classes are canceled.

2.  The mugunghwa train is so goddamn crowded since they've canceled a few of the routes.  They've been running out of standing tickets more and more lately which forces me to just sneak on because I'm not going to wait over two hours for the next one.  If this was in my country I would be writing and calling the company to complain every day.  I can't be the only one mega inconvenienced by this.

3.  Every single day all the students and teachers who aren't me are given a carton of milk.  They give me so many shitty rice cakes and other gross bs every day that I don't want, and the milk would be the one thing I do want.  I don't understand why I don't get it... I pay into the school fund...  Luckily a few of the teachers give me theirs if they don't want it that day.

Also, regarding the train: You sneak on the train (read: you don't pay, so you're literally stealing). You know that's illegal, right? Stealing? Tickets for trains, especially the old, slow ones, especially not on peak days like national holidays, only sell out (if they do sell out at all) if you leave it until the very last minute before you try to buy it. I've even bought tickets as late as the night before and I've never encountered any being sold out for standing tickets, unless it was Chuseok or something.

Insufferable.

It never happened to me, so it's not possible it happened to you.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2537 on: November 16, 2016, 12:01:22 PM »
Hindsight being 20/20, do you know understand what you did was wrong?

I ask, because it didn't sound like it from you post.

It sounded more like you were justifying it, rather than accepting responsibility for making trouble.

He said he didn't know it was a test question, so your earlier complaint didn't apply to that situation. He wasn't trying to meddle or second guessing the KETs, he was just answering a question a student had.  He wasn't "inserting himself," and he couldn't have "redirected them to ask the teacher who made the test," because he didn't even know it was from a test.

So hindsight being 20/20, do you see now how what you said doesn't apply to him there?
Well, you are either simply being ignorant or taking the piss, because only a mouth-breather would think that a student would ever ask you an English exam question for "shits-n-giggles", especially someone who is a known "ringer".

That is why, as others have said countless times, when asked a question, you ask "Why?" before sticking your foot in your mouth.

I had this happen once. Kid asked me like a week after getting their test back about something during class as I was walking around monitoring an activity. If I asked every kid who asked me a question why they were asking that question I wouldn't have time to teach...
Hey, you do it your way!  Give your opinion about questions from a test that you didn't write, nor edit!!!

When your relationship with your coteacher turns to crap, just don't come here and act the fool, like you don't know how it happened.

One time.
In three years.

My CT was like wtf. I was like woops sorry.
Then we had lunch and complained about the bad kids.

Far superior to the following;

Student: How do you spell _____?
Me: Why do you want to know?
Kid: Blank stare of complete incomprehension.

Every 30 seconds for 4-6 classes a day.
Now, you are simply being obtuse.

I know some people are rather clueless in certain social settings, but can you really not see the difference inside and outside the classroom setting?

This sort of thing happens four times a year, after the midterms and finals of each semester, so it really isn't rocket science, unless you are socially handicapped.

Teacher asks you, "Are you busy?"  If you are a special kind of mouth-breather, you will say "no", but if you have the slightest clue, you'll ask, "why?"

If you were in the middle of teaching writing and I student asks you how to spell something, as they are writing, do you seriously think one should ask "why?"

If you do, you are beyond help.

Grab an f'ing clue!

That said, do it your way, and let us all know how it goes when you give your opinion about which answers are right or wrong on an official test, throwing your colleagues under the bus.

Some folks on her are seriously jacked!

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2538 on: November 16, 2016, 12:32:17 PM »
Urg.

No.  If I ask for a ticket on the 22:00 train and they tell me standing is completely sold out, I will buy a ticket on the 23:00 train but still take the 22:00 train anyway.  If they checked my ticket, which they rarely do, I would show my 23:00 ticket and not understand anything they said as followup.  I wouldn't sneak onto a train without paying because as you pointed out, stealing is illegal and as I can't protest verbally, I like my continued patronage to show that there's a demand for more frequent trains.

And you're obviously not familiar with the route I have to take EVERY DAY, because standing has been selling out every weekend now that they canceled a bunch of trains after the recent strikes.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2539 on: November 16, 2016, 12:39:28 PM »
Urg.

No.  If I ask for a ticket on the 22:00 train and they tell me standing is completely sold out, I will buy a ticket on the 23:00 train but still take the 22:00 train anyway.  If they checked my ticket, which they rarely do, I would show my 23:00 ticket and not understand anything they said as followup.  I wouldn't sneak onto a train without paying because as you pointed out, stealing is illegal and as I can't protest verbally, I like my continued patronage to show that there's a demand for more frequent trains.

And you're obviously not familiar with the route I have to take EVERY DAY, because standing has been selling out every weekend now that they canceled a bunch of trains after the recent strikes.
Nope. Wrong. You are wrong. It never happened to #basedcowboydouche, so it certainly never happened to you. Please feel free to ask him what other things that you have experienced are literally impossible, because they havent happened to him.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:42:59 PM by zola »