November 19, 2017, 01:43:44 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 563772 times)

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2480 on: November 13, 2016, 10:54:23 AM »
President-elect Trump is announcing on his website that he will immediately dismantle the Dodd-Frank financial regulations put into place shortly after the 2008 crash and signed into law by President Obama. With a Republican Congress backing him up, itís fair to say that he will get his wish.
Banks are hailing the move as a godsend and see it as less oversight and more profit.
What's the most appropriate Leonard Cohen song to describe that?

"I'm your man"?

Surely this^^^^

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2481 on: November 13, 2016, 11:09:53 AM »
I was just about post that one.

How about...

The Future:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D97OxHZzBeQ

If Clinton had won...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU-RuR-qO4Y

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2482 on: November 13, 2016, 02:57:11 PM »
Sorry, I think you missed my point.  I'll quote myself and highlight the gag  :wink:

Trump elected and Leonard Cohen died.

Bad week for hipsters  :rolleyes:

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2483 on: November 13, 2016, 03:05:11 PM »
'SNL': Kate McKinnon's Clinton Performs Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah"
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/snl-kate-mckinnons-clinton-performs-leonard-cohens-hallelujah-946767
In honor of Leonard Cohen, who passed away earlier this week, Kate McKinnon kicked off the episode in character as Hillary Clinton at the piano, singing one of Cohen's most famous tunes, "Hallelujah."

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2484 on: November 14, 2016, 07:40:06 AM »
The buses have started to show those weird eating videos. I don't understand why they're popular. Watching a woman gorge herself on chicken is not what I want to see on a Monday morning, or ever.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2485 on: November 14, 2016, 09:43:19 AM »
Classes usually run smoother without coT interference. Stop translating every little thing immediately after I or students say it aloud!! Let them think about it for a moment!! Immediately translating and then asking them to tell her what it is in Korean aka parroting back what she literally just said!!!  >:( >:( >:( Can you at least say the damn numbers in English!!! All of the numbers were less than 10!!! FFS

coT: Did you say hi to the principal?
Me: Yes.
coT: You had better go and say hi to the principal.
Me: I did.
coT: Really?? When?
Me: In the teacher's office when she came in.
coT: But where?
Me: She came to the teacher's office.
coT: Ohhh hmmm well that's good.

I hate how redundant elem. can be.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2486 on: November 14, 2016, 10:38:15 AM »
Classes usually run smoother without coT interference. Stop translating every little thing immediately after I or students say it aloud!! Let them think about it for a moment!! Immediately translating and then asking them to tell her what it is in Korean aka parroting back what she literally just said!!!  >:( >:( >:( Can you at least say the damn numbers in English!!! All of the numbers were less than 10!!! FFS

coT: Did you say hi to the principal?
Me: Yes.
coT: You had better go and say hi to the principal.
Me: I did.
coT: Really?? When?
Me: In the teacher's office when she came in.
coT: But where?
Me: She came to the teacher's office.
coT: Ohhh hmmm well that's good.

I hate how redundant elem. can be.
I always got a little irritated at my first school CoT when she would go over the test answers but say the numbers in Korean. Little thing, but still.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2487 on: November 14, 2016, 10:49:12 AM »
Lately she's been asking me to start class a few minutes (5 - 10, sometimes turns into 20) later so the students can review (aka robotically recite the dialogue).

I can appreciate that she asks politely but it's a bit irksome because always the week prior she makes a point of telling me that I need to prepare "lots of fun activities" for the students for the following week.  :lipsrsealed:

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #2488 on: November 14, 2016, 12:08:53 PM »
I absolutely hate supervising exams

45 minutes of complete boredom torture

Most the kids finish the tests within 10/15 minutes then go to sleep for half hour, unbeleivable Jeff.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2489 on: November 14, 2016, 01:03:05 PM »
I do not like planning winter or summer camp. 

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #2490 on: November 14, 2016, 01:06:11 PM »

Succinct, hahaa

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2491 on: November 14, 2016, 01:09:31 PM »

Most the kids finish the tests within 10/15 minutes then go to sleep for half hour, unbeleivable Jeff.

When I was in middle school last year, I used to play a game with the other teacher about who could give out the most new paper.  The loser had to give chocolate to the winner. 

My students find it interesting when I tell them I'd never done a multiple choice test in my school life.  I told them we were even taught how to divide our essay writing time exactly so we finished the test dead on time.

If it is controlled by external forces (ie other teachers) it can be a pain.  If you have free reign then I chuck in some science lessons (balloon cars/egg drop experiment) and always a cooking class. 

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #2492 on: November 14, 2016, 01:24:58 PM »
The tests for English in grade 6 here are 6 multiple choice (in conjunction with listening) and then 4 questions that are write 2) words and 2) sentences.

It's insane. And 80% of the writing on the test is in Korean.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2493 on: November 15, 2016, 09:12:55 AM »

Its exam time right now at my school. I always bring a book with me, though they always tell me not to. But it's the same, I simply can't stand there for 30 minutes while they sleep doing nothing. It is so boring. At least at my school if they finish early, they can leave once they have hit the 30 minute mark.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2494 on: November 15, 2016, 09:39:47 AM »
The tests for English in grade 6 here are 6 multiple choice (in conjunction with listening) and then 4 questions that are write 2) words and 2) sentences.

And then in middle school they're 25 multiple choice questions with ridiculously ambiguous answers. My co-workers told me to never discuss test questions with my students after the exam. If my students had any questions about them, I was to send them straight to their Korean teacher who made the questions because my answers were inflammatory...

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2495 on: November 15, 2016, 10:13:14 AM »
My CT wanted me to read 5th grade a story she picked out today. It had so much slang and words they had never heard and she didn't even understand half of the book but she wanted me to explain the words to her so she could translate the book to english...

On the plus side I got to explain the use of the "-ish" ending and now the kids are pros at abusing "-ish" in their sentences.

"Did you have fun?"
"I had a good-ish time teacher."

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2496 on: November 15, 2016, 10:30:38 AM »

And then in middle school they're 25 multiple choice questions with ridiculously ambiguous answers. My co-workers told me to never discuss test questions with my students after the exam. If my students had any questions about them, I was to send them straight to their Korean teacher who made the questions because my answers were inflammatory...
In all fairness to your co-teacher, this is were some foreigners really drop the ball.

If you were not involved with making the test, don't insert yourself later.

If you were involved, hopefully there won't be any errors.

That said, when a student asks you, simply redirect them to ask the teacher that made the test.

Opening you mouth to cause conflict is a bad idea, regardless if you are right or not.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2497 on: November 15, 2016, 11:38:56 AM »

In all fairness to your co-teacher, this is were some foreigners really drop the ball.

That said, when a student asks you, simply redirect them to ask the teacher that made the test.

Opening you mouth to cause conflict is a bad idea, regardless if you are right or not.

Yeah. Some people are absolutely ridiculous. They had no part in making the test, and then they want to get involved when students start arguing whether their answers are right or not. In that case, you should always say, "Yes, of course the teacher's marking is correct," and then send them to the Korean teacher so you don't get involved. And then in private, not around students, you can inform your co-teacher that there was an error and that this is why students are complaining.

If you want to be involved in making the tests, and proofing them before they're given, that's fine - I've done it, and it's a lot of work - but don't cause unnecessary grief by making your coworker lose face and also giving students and parents ammunition for disputing test results.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2498 on: November 15, 2016, 01:03:20 PM »

The one time it caused a problem, my student innocuously approached me and asked me if their interpretation of such-and-such a question was accurate. - This kid had just spent years in the US and was conversationally fluent. Far more so than their Korean English teacher. - I looked at the question and agreed that hers was a perfectly valid interpretation. I didn't even know it was a test question at the time.

Of course, her Korean English teacher wasn't aware of the alternative interpretation because he wasn't exactly fluent. The irony here being that they stick to multiple choice questions to avoid ambiguity.

The problem then was that some other, less fluent students chose that answer as well, but didn't have the same interpretation as her and were just plain wrong. She couldn't be given credit for that choice, otherwise they'd have to give everyone credit for that choice. In a system where a single point can make or break your chances at getting into a good high school (she was third year, middle school) she was understandably upset.

We never had these problems when they actually consulted me about the test questions.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2499 on: November 15, 2016, 01:09:27 PM »
Hindsight being 20/20, do you know understand what you did was wrong?

I ask, because it didn't sound like it from you post.

It sounded more like you were justifying it, rather than accepting responsibility for making trouble.