November 22, 2017, 08:52:31 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 569023 times)

Online Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2460 on: November 15, 2016, 02:18:43 PM »
Hindsight being 20/20, do you know understand what you did was wrong?

I ask, because it didn't sound like it from you post.

It sounded more like you were justifying it, rather than accepting responsibility for making trouble.

He said he didn't know it was a test question, so your earlier complaint didn't apply to that situation. He wasn't trying to meddle or second guessing the KETs, he was just answering a question a student had.  He wasn't "inserting himself," and he couldn't have "redirected them to ask the teacher who made the test," because he didn't even know it was from a test.

So hindsight being 20/20, do you see now how what you said doesn't apply to him there?
Well, you are either simply being ignorant or taking the piss, becauseonly a mouth-breather would think that a student would ever ask you an English exam question for "shits-n-giggles", especially someone who is a known "ringer".

That is why, as others have said countless times, when asked a question, you ask "Why?" before sticking your foot in your mouth.

Except he didn't say it was an exam question. He said "such-and-such question," and then said he didn't know it was an exam question. In answering such a question, he wasn't trying to insert himself into something, which is what you initially accused him of. He was just helping a student.

Perhaps you can (and are, apparently) fault him for not asking every student why they want to know every single time they ask something. I won't argue that point, if that's the way you choose to teach.

Perhaps I am, as you say, just ignorant. I enjoy helping my students when they ask me to, so unless something is obviously an issue with exam content, I don't usually give my kids the third degree before explaining things. I didn't know that could be problematic, but I suppose there'd be no harm in being more cautious in the future.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2461 on: November 15, 2016, 02:26:49 PM »
This is what was said:

"My co-workers told me to never discuss test questions with my students after the exam. If my students had any questions about them, I was to send them straight to their Korean teacher who made the questions because my answers were inflammatory..."

Is it still hard for you to figure out what happened above, Mr. Tim?

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2462 on: November 15, 2016, 02:33:30 PM »

It sounded more like you were justifying it, rather than accepting responsibility for making trouble.

He said he didn't know it was a test question, so your earlier complaint didn't apply to that situation. He wasn't trying to meddle or second guessing the KETs, he was just answering a question a student had.  He wasn't "inserting himself," and he couldn't have "redirected them to ask the teacher who made the test," because he didn't even know it was from a test.

So hindsight being 20/20, do you see now how what you said doesn't apply to him there?
Well, you are either simply being ignorant or taking the piss, because only a mouth-breather would think that a student would ever ask you an English exam question for "shits-n-giggles", especially someone who is a known "ringer".

That is why, as others have said countless times, when asked a question, you ask "Why?" before sticking your foot in your mouth.

I had this happen once. Kid asked me like a week after getting their test back about something during class as I was walking around monitoring an activity. If I asked every kid who asked me a question why they were asking that question I wouldn't have time to teach...

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2463 on: November 15, 2016, 02:35:49 PM »

Well, you are either simply being ignorant or taking the piss, because only a mouth-breather would think that a student would ever ask you an English exam question for "shits-n-giggles", especially someone who is a known "ringer".

I had this happen once. Kid asked me like a week after getting their test back about something during class as I was walking around monitoring an activity. If I asked every kid who asked me a question why they were asking that question I wouldn't have time to teach...
Hey, you do it your way!  Give your opinion about questions from a test that you didn't write, nor edit!!!

When your relationship with your coteacher turns to crap, just don't come here and act the fool, like you don't know how it happened.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 02:40:08 PM by Pecan »

Online Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2464 on: November 15, 2016, 02:39:10 PM »
This is what was said:

"My co-workers told me to never discuss test questions with my students after the exam. If my students had any questions about them, I was to send them straight to their Korean teacher who made the questions because my answers were inflammatory..."

Is it still hard for you to figure out what happened above, Mr. Tim?

Yes, that is what was initially said. When you called him out on that, he further clarified on what had occurred the one time there was an issue. He clearly demonstrated that your criticism wasn't entirely applicable in the situation.

At that point, rather than saying something like "Ah, well then what I said doesn't really apply to that particular situation," you dug in your heels and continued to insist he was in the wrong, saying he was just trying to justify it rather than accept responsibility.

You could've conceded while still taking the opportunity to make a suggestion on how to change moving forward, but instead you stuck with your usual condescending schtick. You could've been constructive, but you chose instead to just be a jerk.

Serious question: Is the way you talk to people in here an indication of how you talk to people face-to-face?

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2465 on: November 15, 2016, 02:41:29 PM »

That's silly. Kids are supposed to ask questions in class, that's normal classroom behavior. Everytime they ask a question, you should ask why they're asking?! In what world?

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2466 on: November 15, 2016, 02:44:32 PM »
Why you asking? ;)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2467 on: November 15, 2016, 02:56:25 PM »
What a day...

I teach at 4 schools (all of which want to do camp) and in May, I told my CT at one of my rural schools to let me know about Winter camp plans ASAP, as I work on a first come first serve basis.
I regularly reminded her and by July, 3 of my schools had locked in their dates, I'd signed my vacation days off and booked my plane tickets.

Today, 15th of November, she announces that she wants to do camp for Winter. Quite bluntly, I told her there was no way that was happening. She's convinced that it's unfair that I only teach camp at my 3 other schools. Apparently, explaining what first come first serve means didn't work.

To add to this, she comes to school with nothing short of bubonic plague, coughing and sneezing her lungs out, which is compounded by her habit of standing way too close to me. Delicately, I try to explain that she's aggravating her condition and she's potentially infecting me and all the students she comes into contact with. She goes on to leave used tissues all over my desk to, as if to stress the point that she couldn't care less.

The ace up her sleeve is to tell me, after lunch, that all the teachers will be going on a hike at 3pm. As usual, no prior notice is given, and I'm expected to walk up a mountain in my dress pants and oxfords.

That's completely disgusting and entirely passive aggressive  :huh:

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2468 on: November 16, 2016, 07:35:31 AM »
What a day...

I teach at 4 schools (all of which want to do camp) and in May, I told my CT at one of my rural schools to let me know about Winter camp plans ASAP, as I work on a first come first serve basis.
I regularly reminded her and by July, 3 of my schools had locked in their dates, I'd signed my vacation days off and booked my plane tickets.

Today, 15th of November, she announces that she wants to do camp for Winter. Quite bluntly, I told her there was no way that was happening. She's convinced that it's unfair that I only teach camp at my 3 other schools. Apparently, explaining what first come first serve means didn't work.

To add to this, she comes to school with nothing short of bubonic plague, coughing and sneezing her lungs out, which is compounded by her habit of standing way too close to me. Delicately, I try to explain that she's aggravating her condition and she's potentially infecting me and all the students she comes into contact with. She goes on to leave used tissues all over my desk to, as if to stress the point that she couldn't care less.

The ace up her sleeve is to tell me, after lunch, that all the teachers will be going on a hike at 3pm. As usual, no prior notice is given, and I'm expected to walk up a mountain in my dress pants and oxfords.

That's completely disgusting and entirely passive aggressive  :huh:

Could very well be. Then again, she is extremely untidy and leaving tissues on the desk (which we share), seems about right.
On the hike, all the teachers sat down to share food from a single large bowl. Hacking and sneezing away she heartily indulged whilst her, and all the other teachers, seemed perplexed and perturbed by the fact that I kept my distance and opted not to eat from the same bowl as her and 8 other people.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2469 on: November 16, 2016, 08:00:39 AM »
Urg.

1.  We have the 1.5 hour delayed start tomorrow for the university exam... but they've just shifted the day and erased 7th hour, which I'm not scheduled for, so none of my classes are canceled.

2.  The mugunghwa train is so goddamn crowded since they've canceled a few of the routes.  They've been running out of standing tickets more and more lately which forces me to just sneak on because I'm not going to wait over two hours for the next one.  If this was in my country I would be writing and calling the company to complain every day.  I can't be the only one mega inconvenienced by this.

3.  Every single day all the students and teachers who aren't me are given a carton of milk.  They give me so many shitty rice cakes and other gross bs every day that I don't want, and the milk would be the one thing I do want.  I don't understand why I don't get it... I pay into the school fund...  Luckily a few of the teachers give me theirs if they don't want it that day.

Offline Whatgook

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2470 on: November 16, 2016, 08:09:22 AM »
Urg.

1.  We have the 1.5 hour delayed start tomorrow for the university exam... but they've just shifted the day and erased 7th hour, which I'm not scheduled for, so none of my classes are canceled.

2.  The mugunghwa train is so goddamn crowded since they've canceled a few of the routes.  They've been running out of standing tickets more and more lately which forces me to just sneak on because I'm not going to wait over two hours for the next one.  If this was in my country I would be writing and calling the company to complain every day.  I can't be the only one mega inconvenienced by this.

3.  Every single day all the students and teachers who aren't me are given a carton of milk.  They give me so many shitty rice cakes and other gross bs every day that I don't want, and the milk would be the one thing I do want.  I don't understand why I don't get it... I pay into the school fund...  Luckily a few of the teachers give me theirs if they don't want it that day.
Go to the 행정실 and ask your school administrator about the milk. I'm almost positive that if you ask, they'll take 300 won or so a day out your paycheck and you'll get your milk. Sometimes using words to communicate with people can be an amazing tool.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2471 on: November 16, 2016, 08:31:33 AM »

Go to the 행정실 and ask your school administrator about the milk. I'm almost positive that if you ask, they'll take 300 won or so a day out your paycheck and you'll get your milk. Sometimes using words to communicate with people can be an amazing tool.

Yes.  Because this thread/forum isn't 100% full of people who try using words to communicate with people and are misunderstood all day every day.  Great advice.

YoungMin

« Reply #2472 on: November 16, 2016, 08:41:56 AM »
Urg.

You have to pay extra for the milk. It's a separate purchase from any school fund.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2473 on: November 16, 2016, 09:07:31 AM »
You have to pay extra for the milk. It's a separate purchase from any school fund.

Okay.  That's surprising to me since no one ever mentioned it to me and there's one teacher that gives hers to me a few times a week.  Why doesn't she just not pay for it?

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2474 on: November 16, 2016, 09:15:31 AM »

Okay.  That's surprising to me since no one ever mentioned it to me and there's one teacher that gives hers to me a few times a week.  Why doesn't she just not pay for it?

It's not something you pay for each time, they deduct it monthly as a lump sum. So you're either all in, or you're out.

With that being said, maybe she felt pressured to do it because everyone else was doing it. Also could be that she doesn't always want it but wants it enough times that she doesn't want to opt out of the program. Or maybe she thought she'd drink it more often but it turns out that milk really isn't her thing, or it could be she feels bad for you and wants you to have it sometimes.

My own school asked me if I wanted to opt in, but I said "no" because I knew it would be the Seoul milk brand (it always is) and I hate that brand. When I started bringing my own, the teachers were like, "Why didn't you just opt for the program?" And they can't really understand why I don't like Seoul milk because it's supposed to be really good quality milk.

No, it's not. It tastes weird to me and I don't want it.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:23:56 AM by Chinguetti »

YoungMin

« Reply #2475 on: November 16, 2016, 09:30:18 AM »

It's not something you pay for each time, they deduct it monthly as a lump sum. So you're either all in, or you're out.

With that being said, maybe she felt pressured to do it because everyone else was doing it. Also could be that she doesn't always want it but wants it enough times that she doesn't want to opt out of the program. Or maybe she thought she'd drink it more often but it turns out that milk really isn't her thing, or it could be she feels bad for you and wants you to have it sometimes.

My own school asked me if I wanted to opt in, but I said "no" because I knew it would be the Seoul milk brand (it always is) and I hate that brand. When I started bringing my own, the teachers were like, "Why didn't you just opt for the program?" And they can't really understand why I don't like Seoul milk because it's supposed to be really good quality milk.

I like this one the best...

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2476 on: November 16, 2016, 09:32:53 AM »
Milk is gross and I hate it. Especially when it's warm, which it always IS whenever someone gives me a carton of milk at school. When they give it to me, I'm reminded of that Kanye West twitter rant about waking up next to a water bottle on an airplane.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #2477 on: November 16, 2016, 09:53:14 AM »

This is correct (although the milk is free for the students -- it's just teachers/staff who have to pay for it if they want it).

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2478 on: November 16, 2016, 09:56:05 AM »

I'm also quite apprehensive about milk in this country since I can't tell exactly what any of it is... I'd prefer whole milk as it's a whole food...

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2479 on: November 16, 2016, 10:10:10 AM »
Milk is gross and I hate it. Especially when it's warm, which it always IS whenever someone gives me a carton of milk at school. When they give it to me, I'm reminded of that Kanye West twitter rant about waking up next to a water bottle on an airplane.

My first reaction to seeing milk just in a crate in the hallway was that everyone was gunna die from spoiled milk.  I agree that milk is gross (unless its for cooking) and I can't imagine paying for lukewarm milk.