November 19, 2017, 09:14:22 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 563989 times)

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2420 on: November 09, 2016, 10:57:03 AM »
I want to start wearing a hidden camera in my jacket so that I can start capturing some of shit I have to deal with whenever some of the teachers here think no one else is around.

Acting oblivious has really worked out in my favor here, but I don't think I'll ever get used to all of the passive-aggressiveness.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2421 on: November 09, 2016, 11:20:55 AM »
I feel like they should put the female NETs with a male co teacher. All I ever here on here from a female female team is constant bickering, bitching and fighting. The female male combinations seems to produce less of that shite. Sue me.

Sometimes (of course not always) that combo results in creeping. I know a NET who was constantly badgered by her coT for "just a date" even though she repeatedly turned him down and he was well aware she had a boyfriend.

Unfortunately that's something in the back of my head if I ever end up with a male coT, though he'd be hard pressed to top admin creep. Luckily I get along well with all of my [female] coTs, even the one whose teaching style I disagree with.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2422 on: November 09, 2016, 11:53:37 AM »
I do feel like office environments are more tolerable when there's a healthy mix of genders (the snobbery and games seem to be a lot higher when it's mostly male or female)... but it also heavily depends on the personalities of the people involved. It only takes one asshat to spoil the atmosphere, especially when they're tossed in with people who are, generally, nice people but who also feed off of others and act accordingly. This is especially true in Korea, and a lot of it will also depend on who's in charge and how traditional/old-fashioned they are. Seems to be an ideal cesspool for insufferable individuals to flourish in and to inject their toxins into people who would otherwise be lovely to work with if only they'd build up a tolerance or an immunity and just think for themselves a little more.

On the plus side, it makes it really easy to read what's going on.

My anecdotal experience gels with this.

The first two years I was here the office was all female and then myself (and one old drunk guy who finally got fired this year) and all of them were the same age and older than me. (One of the CTs I got along well with used to tease me about having 5 nunas...) Utter misery for me and most of the others.

This year its way more even 5 guys and 7 girls with a mix of age ranges. It's a much more chill environment all around.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2423 on: November 09, 2016, 01:10:40 PM »
I got a really nasty cold out of nowhere. I have no classes today so it doesn't really matter, I guess, but ugh, I just feel so gross. Time to make myself loads and loads of tea and become a blob.
Me too! It just came on all of a sudden last night. I did see a 5th grade girl sniffling today so I don't know if it's going around the school again or what. Hopefully I can shake it soon because I just got over a cold a few weeks ago. My weak immune system and these little germ factory children don't mix well.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2424 on: November 09, 2016, 01:15:44 PM »
I got a really nasty cold out of nowhere. I have no classes today so it doesn't really matter, I guess, but ugh, I just feel so gross. Time to make myself loads and loads of tea and become a blob.
Me too! It just came on all of a sudden last night. I did see a 5th grade girl sniffling today so I don't know if it's going around the school again or what. Hopefully I can shake it soon because I just got over a cold a few weeks ago. My weak immune system and these little germ factory children don't mix well.

Yeah, I'm not the type to really ever get sick but ever since coming to Korea I've been getting these nasty colds every year. Before, even if I did catch a cold, it would usually go away on its own within a few days, but in Korea, it always lasts a couple of weeks at least. I think it's because I'm surrounded by all these kids who just cough and sneeze openly without covering up and sometimes the kids try to touch my face (which I don't allow, but sometimes they sneak up behind me) and stuff so I never get a chance to just heal. Which I'm sure pretty much everyone here can relate.

There is also something happening far away that is making me feel really ill right now.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2425 on: November 09, 2016, 02:38:24 PM »
Air quality has been pretty bad recently. jumped into the red yesterday/last night for most parts of the country.

if you haven't been walking around with an N99-rated mask on and/or have had the windows open, that probably explains your cold.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2426 on: November 09, 2016, 02:48:07 PM »
Well, for sure my allergies have been crazy. I've been in a drug-induced haze for the last week or so.

So glad I purchased that air purifier for my bedroom.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2427 on: November 09, 2016, 03:12:30 PM »

My annual several-month-long cold and sniffles started last night. Woke up, scratchy, swollen throat. Congestion. General feeling of grossness. I expect it will end sometime in March.

Unrelated: my favourite fingerless gloves of which I've bought like 10 pairs over 8 years are no longer in production and I'm sad.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #2428 on: November 09, 2016, 03:20:36 PM »

My annual several-month-long cold and sniffles started last night. Woke up, scratchy, swollen throat. Congestion. General feeling of grossness. I expect it will end sometime in March.

Unrelated: my favourite fingerless gloves of which I've bought like 10 pairs over 8 years are no longer in production and I'm sad.

Maybe a change in diet?
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2429 on: November 10, 2016, 08:10:27 AM »

Yeah, I'm not the type to really ever get sick but ever since coming to Korea I've been getting these nasty colds every year. Before, even if I did catch a cold, it would usually go away on its own within a few days, but in Korea, it always lasts a couple of weeks at least. I think it's because I'm surrounded by all these kids who just cough and sneeze openly without covering up and sometimes the kids try to touch my face (which I don't allow, but sometimes they sneak up behind me) and stuff so I never get a chance to just heal. Which I'm sure pretty much everyone here can relate.

There is also something happening far away that is making me feel really ill right now.

I've been the opposite here. Back in NZ a cold would last 2 - 3 weeks. I got a summer cold here and it only lasted about 3 - 5 days, and it wasn't as bad as the colds I'd get in NZ too.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2430 on: November 11, 2016, 10:08:30 AM »
Announcement over the intercom yesterday and today warning kids not to give pepero to the teachers  :rolleyes:

I'm all for cutting out corruption and favoritism in schools but is a 1,200w box of delicious sugar (poison!) really the place to start?!

yes, pepero day is a corporate creattion but I like it.  :P

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2431 on: November 11, 2016, 10:41:22 AM »
Announcement over the intercom yesterday and today warning kids not to give pepero to the teachers  :rolleyes:

I'm all for cutting out corruption and favoritism in schools but is a 1,200w box of delicious sugar (poison!) really the place to start?!

I wish we just got a warning that there was to be no peperofor teachers.

My school changed it to nasty gross brown sugar coated rice cakes and orange juice day. My first class ended up being me trying not to look at the 3rd graders gnaw on rice cakes for 40 minutes cuz that's ow long it takes to chew up one piece enough to swallow. My CT explained an English competition our school is having to them and I got to clean up orange juice spills...

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2432 on: November 11, 2016, 11:03:44 AM »

My school changed it to nasty gross brown sugar coated rice cakes and orange juice day. My first class ended up being me trying not to look at the 3rd graders gnaw on rice cakes for 40 minutes cuz that's ow long it takes to chew up one piece enough to swallow. My CT explained an English competition our school is having to them and I got to clean up orange juice spills...

Every time I get one of those god awful rice cakes I think, "Good, now have something to throw away."

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2433 on: November 11, 2016, 11:36:55 AM »

Every time I get one of those god awful rice cakes I think, "Good, now have something to throw away."

Bleh, they're awful and my CT knows I hate them so she was laughing at me XD I make the kids do rock paper scissors for who gets mine when we have them for lunch.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2434 on: November 11, 2016, 12:04:27 PM »

Bleh, they're awful and my CT knows I hate them so she was laughing at me XD I make the kids do rock paper scissors for who gets mine when we have them for lunch.

HA! The worst is when you can't throw them out or pawn them off right away and then they go moldy in the bottom of your desk drawers  :cry:

Students do seem to enjoy them though so I usually try and "re-gift", too.  :angel:

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2435 on: November 11, 2016, 12:12:21 PM »
I nodded off at my desk and hurt my chin.

At least no one was here to witness it.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2436 on: November 11, 2016, 12:17:41 PM »

HA! The worst is when you can't throw them out or pawn them off right away and then they go moldy in the bottom of your desk drawers  :cry:

Students do seem to enjoy them though so I usually try and "re-gift", too.  :angel:

Wait. Just how long did you have them? I didn't even know they could go moldy.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2437 on: November 11, 2016, 12:19:07 PM »
I try not to complain about much, but I have to say, I get disproportionately irritated when people say 'rice cakes' when referring to ddeok / 떡.

You can't just make up a name for something (I realize it was the locals who made it in an effort to expand and promote local foods to make it for appealing and accessible for foreigners) when that name already exists and is a commonly known foodstuff. If you search 'rice cakes' on Google image search, all of the images that come up first are what are known in western countries as rice cakes. Further down and in a separate section are Korean 'rice cakes' which a) are often not made with rice, and b) are not cakes in any sense of the word.

Rice cakes are already a thing. That name is taken. How about using the real name of a food if they want to promote it and make it appealing? Imagine if you're eating a burger, and someone asks what it is, and you're like, "Oh, it's meat bread." Oh, well, what's that? "Oh, it's tomato noodle." Wait... then what's that? "Oh, it's raw fish rice."

Ugh. UGH. Translations do not make good food names.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2438 on: November 11, 2016, 12:20:47 PM »

They definitely do. I got some as a wedding gift and I didn't eat them for a few months and when I went to see how they were doing, they were moldy.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2439 on: November 11, 2016, 12:21:40 PM »

I usually clean out my drawers at the end of each semester and once I found a couple that had been there a few (3?) months.

I am not a tidy man.  :laugh: