September 21, 2017, 09:38:04 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 485086 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2400 on: November 04, 2016, 04:56:45 PM »
I set up a tripod to record my Drama Club's performance in the School Festival since I'm conducting the students.  Oblivious to everything around her, one of the mothers rushes in front of the camera, knocks over my tripod and camera, barely gives it a glance and continues to take a video on her phone!  I have 30 seconds of our performance and a 5 minute horizontal shot of her fat ass!   Luckily there were gym mats on the floor so the camera is okay but man, the disregard for others is just ridiculous!   >:(

One thing that gave me unexpected culture shock was my first school festival. The amount of loud talking from the audience is so bizarre (especially after having worked in theatre for a long time, this was a particularly jarring experience). I was even trying to record things on my camera and people would come up to me and talk loudly! I don't want your stupid voice on my recording! Go away!

People at least had the decency to try and duck beneath my camera view when they realized I had one, though.

Offline DLJL

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2401 on: November 04, 2016, 05:02:23 PM »
Geezus, 6-7 weeks of camp? Thankfully my school schedules never align so I generally only do camp with one school.

So I requested my payslip from admin. Apparently this caused the admin. creep to enter the teacher's office and speak at length at my coT during which he said "payslip" and "pension" and my name multiple times in the otherwise Korean conversation. Wonder if my paycheck being noticeably less than usual has a legitimate reason as to why. But honestly, how hard is it to print off that one piece of paper and hand it over?  :rolleyes:

My school also didn't give me payslips despite asking for them. They finally did in my last two months, but like you said it seemed to be a massive deal to them for some reason.

I think part of the reason they don't give them to you is so they can screw you over when you leave and keep your housing deposit, claiming you owe them money or tax or whatever, knowing that you've no documents to challenge it.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2402 on: November 04, 2016, 05:07:25 PM »
Very bizarre situation, as public school positions usually require no more than 5 weeks of camp per year (2 during one break and 3 weeks during the other).

I take it you don't do camps during the summer?

We have a short but very big summer camp - 3 days, but all schools in the city have to give so many students. ALL the NETs, a handful of Korean teachers, and a few of the big wigs from the education office here have to attend it.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #2403 on: November 04, 2016, 05:12:48 PM »
Teachers eating the Halloween candy I gave them to GIVE TO THE STUDENTS when they come to trick or treat.

I even game them instructions in PERFECT KOREAN (thanks to a friend who is fluent in English and Korean).

I didn't buy crap loads of candy for you AMOEBAS to eat it!!!

Thank heavens I'm teaching at a better school in China next year. Most of these teachers are either useless or are morons with no common sense.

Maybe they understood, but thought that they would prefer to eat it, versus the students doing so.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2404 on: November 04, 2016, 05:15:09 PM »
So I requested my payslip from admin. Apparently this caused the admin. creep to enter the teacher's office and speak at length at my coT during which he said "payslip" and "pension" and my name multiple times in the otherwise Korean conversation. Wonder if my paycheck being noticeably less than usual has a legitimate reason as to why. But honestly, how hard is it to print off that one piece of paper and hand it over?  :rolleyes:

Maybe they're trying to cover something up?  :shocked:

My school also didn't give me payslips despite asking for them. They finally did in my last two months, but like you said it seemed to be a massive deal to them for some reason.

I think part of the reason they don't give them to you is so they can screw you over when you leave and keep your housing deposit, claiming you owe them money or tax or whatever, knowing that you've no documents to challenge it.

GUESS WHAT

I received my payslip, and it had a higher amount than what was deposited into my bank account. Naturally I had to check up on the discrepancy annnnd..

220,000W was deposited today. Interesting! Wonder what would have happened to that money if I wasn't constantly checking up on my payslips!

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2405 on: November 04, 2016, 05:15:50 PM »
That's awful about the camp. Camp is the worst part of any public school job.

Also, yeah - one reason a lot of places are reluctant to give payslips is because the admins / coteachers / somebody thinks they have to translate it to English, and that's just too much work so they make excuses. But like, you don't need it translated. You can figure the categories out easily.

But yeah - I can confirm that it's not in any way difficult for them to print an excel file or PDF of your payslip and give it to you (at least at a public school). They don't even have to print it if that's too much work, they can literally just send it to you on CoolMessenger or whatever messenger service they use at your school, so then they literally never even have to leave their desk or have human interaction with you.

I've got all my payslips from when I first started working in Korea until now saved. Just be persistent. And don't listen to 'no' because it's BS.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2406 on: November 04, 2016, 05:29:45 PM »
Very bizarre situation, as public school positions usually require no more than 5 weeks of camp per year (2 during one break and 3 weeks during the other).

We have a short but very big summer camp - 3 days, but all schools in the city have to give so many students. ALL the NETs, a handful of Korean teachers, and a few of the big wigs from the education office here have to attend it.
Well, that explains it.

I don't feel sorry for you anymore :/

If I only had 3 days of camp in summer for longer camps in the winter, I would be a happy "camper".

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2407 on: November 04, 2016, 05:30:27 PM »
I'm so irritated.

Our school gave us a budget of 400,000 for the year. We spent about 200,000 for summer camp. We have a Golden Bell competition in a few weeks, and we were picking out prizes for that and it came to a total of 80,000, leaving us with 120,000 for winter camp. That's fine with me, because we have a new school rule that we can't do anything with food anymore, which is where most of our summer camp money went.

120,000 will be more than enough for winter, but no "they" (administration? VP? I have no idea.) said that we cannot buy prizes for Golden Bell, because they're worried we won't have enough money for winter camp. Why do they get to decide?? It's our budget money; shouldn't we get a say in where we use it? I don't need 200,000 for winter camp and no prizes for Golden Bell is ridiculous. So we just what, clap for the winners? BORING. I want to give them a prize. But no. "They" say we have to save that money for  camp. But I don't need it for camp arrrgghhh.

And my co (who is afraid of everyone and everything) refuses to stand up to them on this, even though she agrees with me.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 05:33:47 PM by flyingspider »

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2408 on: November 04, 2016, 05:33:47 PM »

Well, that explains it.

I don't feel sorry for you anymore :/

If I only had 3 days of camp in summer for longer camps in the winter, I would be a happy "camper".

Our summer camp was 3 days of 9am - 10pm though >.< Though, the students got to finish at 9pm; and the teachers had to assemble at 7 - 8am. I'm not a morning person too. >.< We also had to travel to a different city together by bus.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #2409 on: November 04, 2016, 05:39:59 PM »
And my co (who is afraid of everyone and everything) refuses to stand up to them on this, even though she agrees with me.

I hate this. When the Gyeonggi province was going to erase Microsoft from every computer, I told my co-teacher about it and she couldn't believe it. I asked her if she could talk to the Head Teacher, or the Principal, or someone in the Ministry of Education about how negatively this would impact our day to day life at school and the quality of the education.

"What can I do? They are above me!"  :huh:

Yeah, I get it. I'm not telling you to kick the door of their office in and start asking them what the f is wrong with them. More along the lines of a talk or an email indicating the repercussions for the students if this decision is enacted. Calm, well thought out reasoning with a cool temper and empathy.

But no, the hoobae, seonbae system is the only was anyone can communicate.

:afro: "Hey! Underling! I am going to shit on your desk tomorrow during lunch."

:-* "I am honoured, Sir. Please eat lots of cheonggukjang and kimchi tonight at dinner, for I relish every morsel of your bowel movement."
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 05:41:31 PM by CO2 »
Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2410 on: November 04, 2016, 05:40:15 PM »
Then you would be receiving overtime pay for anything over 8 hours in a day, plus more for more than 22 classes within your 3 day "week".

Nice.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2411 on: November 04, 2016, 05:41:16 PM »
I'm so irritated.

Our school gave us a budget of 400,000 for the year. We spent about 200,000 for summer camp. We have a Golden Bell competition in a few weeks, and we were picking out prizes for that and it came to a total of 80,000, leaving us with 120,000 for winter camp. That's fine with me, because we have a new school rule that we can't do anything with food anymore, which is where most of our summer camp money went.

120,000 will be more than enough for winter, but no "they" (administration? VP? I have no idea.) said that we cannot buy prizes for Golden Bell, because they're worried we won't have enough money for winter camp. Why do they get to decide?? It's our budget money; shouldn't we get a say in where we use it? I don't need 200,000 for winter camp and no prizes for Golden Bell is ridiculous. So we just what, clap for the winners? BORING. I want to give them a prize. But no. "They" say we have to save that money for  camp. But I don't need it for camp arrrgghhh.

I don't know, I did Golden Bell for four years at my previous school, and we never had prizes beyond a certificate of place for the finalists. I kind of agree with your school on this. Depending on how many students you have for camp, the prizes and stuff for that can get pretty expensive. I've always used about 250,000-300,000 for my winter camps in the past.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2412 on: November 04, 2016, 05:48:08 PM »
I don't know, I did Golden Bell for four years at my previous school, and we never had prizes beyond a certificate of place for the finalists. I kind of agree with your school on this. Depending on how many students you have for camp, the prizes and stuff for that can get pretty expensive. I've always used about 250,000-300,000 for my winter camps in the past.
I'll have 40 students for camp. I already know what I'm doing for camp and what supplies I need. We do lots of crafts and we already have the materials for that. I don't give out prizes in camp so that costs nothing. What on earth are you buying with all that money?  If they don't change their mind on this I'm going to buy prizes myself, because a certificate is the most boring thing ever.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2413 on: November 04, 2016, 05:49:23 PM »
Man, all this talk of camp budgets, and my summer camp had no budget. zero. nada. nothing. We just came in each morning with our smiling faces and occasionally some paper.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2414 on: November 04, 2016, 06:10:24 PM »
I'll have 40 students for camp. I already know what I'm doing for camp and what supplies I need. We do lots of crafts and we already have the materials for that. I don't give out prizes in camp so that costs nothing. What on earth are you buying with all that money?  If they don't change their mind on this I'm going to buy prizes myself, because a certificate is the most boring thing ever.

Yes - a certificate saying you did really well in a competition against your peers is certainly a lot more boring than an eraser.

Maybe your students are different. Mine were all generally affluent and high level, and they enjoyed proof that they placed higher than their classmates more than they would have an eraser or pencil or something. Plus, giving prizes can also open up a can of worms regarding favouritism, and potentially more students (or parents) complaining that the contest wasn't fair.

As for camps, those students are generally lower-income, and lower level, and may never have a chance to show off in an English competition. So, they can actually sometimes have some tangible benefit to receiving a care package at the end of camp with some stationery, a cute pencil case, a file folder, some notepads, along with all their creations from camp.

Different schools, different teachers - we're different and it's cool. For me, I always needed the budget for art supplies for students, as well as my school requiring all students get a fresh bread and milk every day during camp, so that ate up a lot of budget, too.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2415 on: November 04, 2016, 06:12:34 PM »
Then you would be receiving overtime pay for anything over 8 hours in a day, plus more for more than 22 classes within your 3 day "week".

Nice.

The bonus was very small, because "we are paying for your food / place to stay during camp." Also, I couldn't eat the food provided due to dietary restrictions, so I used most of my "bonus" to buy cookies + other junk food, as we weren't allowed to leave the building we were using for camp, and the only place for food inside the building, only sold junk food like: ice creams, cookies, and chocolate.

I also forgot I had to do 2 weeks of Elementary summer camp after the 3day one, as I had just started at the elementary like a week or 2 before the city one. - This was just for grade 5, as the grade 6s had to go to the city one. My co-teacher done most of the planning, since the city one was considered more important.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2416 on: November 04, 2016, 06:14:33 PM »
Man, all this talk of camp budgets, and my summer camp had no budget. zero. nada. nothing. We just came in each morning with our smiling faces and occasionally some paper.

I mean you probably did have a budget for camp. It just never made it to the camp. And you never heard of it. And somebody, somewhere, got a new whiteboard in their classroom or something.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2417 on: November 04, 2016, 06:18:20 PM »

I mean you probably did have a budget for camp. It just never made it to the camp. And you never heard of it. And somebody, somewhere, got a new whiteboard in their classroom or something.

I asked about it multiple times and was told no budget. I've been told by cots that our school is poor so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2418 on: November 04, 2016, 06:26:41 PM »

I asked about it multiple times and was told no budget. I've been told by cots that our school is poor so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, it could honestly go either way. I was told that one school had a budget of 100,000 for each camp but for my second school, there was no budget. And yet later I was told we needed to purchase English moves and books (that were never used) to use up the English budget. But some schools genuinely just don't have any allotment at all.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2419 on: November 04, 2016, 06:33:38 PM »

Yeah, it could honestly go either way. I was told that one school had a budget of 100,000 for each camp but for my second school, there was no budget. And yet later I was told we needed to purchase English moves and books (that were never used) to use up the English budget. But some schools genuinely just don't have any allotment at all.

Yeah. And actually, every public school, regardless of how poor, has some budget for every subject, yearly. It's just a matter of whether it gets used for that subject, or not. It's not always the most transparent thing.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment