January 24, 2018, 06:08:54 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 655617 times)

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2320 on: November 07, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »
I made that same mistake with university aged students. What an uproar. Same format as you mentioned:
EAST SEA
(Sea of Japn)

A female student got particularly firey about it.
I'm long past the period of actually trying to have an adult discussion about it. Just turn off the screen and move on.
I put a post-it note on the screen over where it said 'Sea of Japan'. I'm definitely experienced enough to know not to try to discuss it, but I was still dismayed.

I've shown multiple times "Sea of Japan".

I explain in English that is what it is called. If you are speaking English and you want people to know what you are talking about, that's what you call it. In Korean it's East sea.

Then I just let them cry and get angry like a bunch of 5 year olds.

Somewhere along the line, news spread that the USA had made a law to make "Sea of Japan" illegal. So when I said "this is what we are taught in geography class, this is the English name (as well as other languages, Mer du Japon etc)" they fought back.
No! Many countries changed! Sea of Japan illegal!

Upon further investigation, one state in the USA, Virginia, decided after lobbying from the local Korean ccommunity that schools had to print both Sea of Japan/East Sea together, in textbooks.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapan
« Reply #2321 on: November 07, 2016, 02:09:15 PM »
I made that same mistake with university aged students. What an uproar. Same format as you mentioned:
EAST SEA
(Sea of Japn)

A female student got particularly firey about it.
I'm long past the period of actually trying to have an adult discussion about it. Just turn off the screen and move on.
I put a post-it note on the screen over where it said 'Sea of Japan'. I'm definitely experienced enough to know not to try to discuss it, but I was still dismayed.

I've shown multiple times "Sea of Japan".

I explain in English that is what it is called. If you are speaking English and you want people to know what you are talking about, that's what you call it. In Korean it's East sea.

Then I just let them cry and get angry like a bunch of 5 year olds.

Somewhere along the line, news spread that the USA had made a law to make "Sea of Japan" illegal. So when I said "this is what we are taught in geography class, this is the English name (as well as other languages, Mer du Japon etc)" they fought back.
No! Many countries changed! Sea of Japan illegal!

Upon further investigation, one state in the USA, Virginia, decided after lobbying from the local Korean ccommunity that schools had to print both Sea of Japan/East Sea together, in textbooks.

Hahahah, it is illegal in the USA!

No, that's not how it went. Not even close.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #2322 on: November 07, 2016, 02:14:55 PM »
And then over the next few months, textbooks in the American North West were mysteriously required to label that same body of water as "The Sea of Japan, a Globally Established Name".

***:huh: I just discovered that it's possible to hyperlink images! New doors to sarcasm have opened for me!

But seriously, I can see why it upsets Koreans, although the alternative they offer is sure to upset their Japanese neighbours. What they really ought to do is settle for a neutral name. Maybe "The Liancourt Sea"?  :wink:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:25:16 PM by kyndo »

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #2323 on: November 07, 2016, 02:15:35 PM »
I like hearing stories of people getting unnecessarily tantrum-y.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2324 on: November 07, 2016, 02:19:47 PM »
Not really a rant, but there's a pretty good conversation going on about mac n cheese in the random ramblings thread

>:( : Moonbrie, have you had lunch?
  :undecided: : I was about to eat these crackers [other cot] gave me
  >:( : Eat this bun
  :undecided: : What's in the bun?
  >:( : Red bean
  :undecided: : I don't really like red bean. I'll eat my crackers.
  >:( : but red bean is good for our health!
  :undecided: : I will eat black bean, yellow bean, white bean, but not red bean

That got a chuckle out of her. But then she continued badgering me to eat an especially questionable looking banana, claiming it was just "ripe" when I tried to point it out. I ate half of it and she looked like she wanted to say something about me not finishing it but held her tongue, thankfully.

You got something against red?

In all seriousness, I love red bean. We can't be friends. At the same time, I also don't like questionable-looking bananas. We can be friends.

Hahaha. I like red bean in small quantities. It's just too intense for me when it's too much, and when a bun is full of nothing but red bean, it's just too much. But it's simpler to just say that I don'e like red bean.

I like bungeoppang and those little fried rice donuts with a dot of red bean in the middle though.

Online gagevt

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #2325 on: November 07, 2016, 02:28:10 PM »
And then over the next few months, textbooks in the American North West were mysteriously required to label that same body of water as "The Sea of Japan, a Globally Established Name".

***:huh: I just discovered that it's possible to hyperlink images! New doors to sarcasm have opened for me!

Yes but do you know how to embed a video into your post? Still trying to figure that out....
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapan
« Reply #2326 on: November 07, 2016, 02:29:09 PM »

Yes but do you know how to embed a video into your post? Still trying to figure that out....

Hyperlink it and take the s out of https://

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2327 on: November 07, 2016, 02:33:57 PM »
so what about Korea Strait and Korea Bay? funny how they ain't complaining about that, or trying to get those names changed to South Strait and West Bay.

Offline Aqvm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2328 on: November 07, 2016, 04:13:38 PM »
so what about Korea Strait and Korea Bay? funny how they ain't complaining about that, or trying to get those names changed to South Strait and West Bay.
They should rename all things according to their positional relationship to Korea. North American can be "East America" and South America can be "Southeast America". Japan can be the "Southeastern Archipelago" and China can be now known as the "Western Kingdom".

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2329 on: November 07, 2016, 04:24:58 PM »
No way they'd be that kind to Japan. More likely call it "negative three" or something less polite.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2330 on: November 07, 2016, 04:34:03 PM »
I'm not getting renewed with my current public school. Apparently I don't do enough activities for these "smarter than average" students who need the word "verb" translated on a regular basis. I am not Teacher of the Year by any stretch but I do incorporate some sort of activity in every lesson and, if I'm told anything at all (rare), it's that the class of 30+ is too loud and of course I rarely have help from my co-ts as they're usually busy in the back with their computers. More than that, only two of my 8 co-ts actually help me with translation/management of group activities. I mean, it's Korea. I get it. But ugh.

Anyway, my evaluation will still qualify to be transferred to another school. I've gleaned that this is a somewhat common thing but my head is spinning - according to the MOE, transfers aren't guaranteed. Anyone gone through this and able to offer some advice?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2331 on: November 07, 2016, 04:42:17 PM »
Dang. That's balls. Maybe luck will be on your side and you can transfer to a better situation. Sorry I haven't any actual advice.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2332 on: November 07, 2016, 04:49:11 PM »
Dang. That's balls. Maybe luck will be on your side and you can transfer to a better situation. Sorry I haven't any actual advice.

Thanks <3. My handler cried as she was telling me and I found myself comforting her as I was reeling about what the freak I'm gonna do.

Offline toddingumi

• Veteran
« Reply #2333 on: November 08, 2016, 07:55:29 AM »
What are the chances of 4 educated people sitting at the same table that are unable to chew with their mouths closed? I am screaming inside.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #2334 on: November 08, 2016, 08:22:31 AM »
What are the chances of 4 educated people sitting at the same table that are unable to chew with their mouths closed? I am screaming inside.

Establish dominance.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2335 on: November 08, 2016, 08:24:38 AM »
They should rename all things according to their positional relationship to Korea. North American can be "East America" and South America can be "Southeast America". Japan can be the "Southeastern Archipelago" and China can be now known as the "Western Kingdom".
Someone did that with Canada a while ago.

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/694983-canada

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2336 on: November 08, 2016, 08:48:57 AM »
I was shoveled some steaming pile of an excuse on how the three extra classes I'm teaching this week above my mandated 22 actually aren't extra classes because those students will be taking a trip next week. "But everyone has them!" Not my problem.

I wouldn't even have a problem with it at some of the other schools I've taught at where they'd occasionally bend the contract in my favor as well as theirs. At this current school, my contract only bends one way.

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #2337 on: November 08, 2016, 09:00:37 AM »

Also inhaling their food like they just got out of jail. I had a male co-teacher who would eat so fast I would say "hey, relax, your not in the army anymore."

Also love love love how noisy the cafeteria is. When I taught in Japan and Taiwan the students were so nice and quiet. In Korea it's like a competition who can yell the loudest. But my school is in a low income area so that could be the reason.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #2338 on: November 08, 2016, 09:18:06 AM »
When I taught in Japan and Taiwan the students were so nice and quiet. In Korea it's like a competition who can yell the loudest. But my school is in a low income area so that could be the reason.
I've taught in Japan and Taiwan as well, and had a very different experience! Every day was a riot (both figuratively and literally)  Then again, I taught mainly younger kids, and they're exactly the same the world over.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2339 on: November 08, 2016, 09:34:22 AM »
Got kicked off the computer because my coT had to send an email "immediately" to the education office. Apparently it's impossible to send emails from her smartphone or wait 5~10 minutes for me to use a game on the computer. Whatever