December 17, 2017, 02:41:26 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 601170 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2300 on: November 07, 2016, 08:12:54 AM »
My friend had a student get carted off in an ambulance with a bloody nose earlier this year. They always hype things up.

The coworker next to my desk always listens to stuff with no headphones, but today she got a new speaker to use instead of just the regular computer speakers.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2301 on: November 07, 2016, 08:52:36 AM »
There's something very disheartening about listening to the elem. kids "review" with the KT by robotically reciting all of the key expressions like individual monologues.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2302 on: November 07, 2016, 08:55:34 AM »
And now they're all reciting as a group.. which just sounds creepy...

YoungMin

« Reply #2303 on: November 07, 2016, 09:00:12 AM »
My friend had a student get carted off in an ambulance with a bloody nose earlier this year. They always hype things up.

The coworker next to my desk always listens to stuff with no headphones, but today she got a new speaker to use instead of just the regular computer speakers.

One of my biggest pet hates here. Headphones seem to be undiscovered in this land. It's almost like people have to SHARE their noise with you. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2304 on: November 07, 2016, 09:31:11 AM »

One of my biggest pet hates here. Headphones seem to be undiscovered in this land. It's almost like people have to SHARE their noise with you. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh

My middle schools are the opposite. Everyone uses headphones cause there's no audio otherwise. In my elementary schools the computers have sound on their own, though.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2305 on: November 07, 2016, 09:59:46 AM »

My middle schools are the opposite. Everyone uses headphones cause there's no audio otherwise. In my elementary schools the computers have sound on their own, though.
Its so frustrating, especially when its always some weird as heck music or whatever. Its nice that that's the only option at your MS though! One of the teachers in the office routinely uses headphones, but I just wish the one next to me would.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2306 on: November 07, 2016, 10:04:17 AM »
Word. The only noise I ever hear is an occasional fit of laughter if someone is apparently watching something that tickles his/her funny bone.  :laugh:

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2307 on: November 07, 2016, 11:26:44 AM »
I sure do love it when an entire room full of people laughs at my pronunciation mistakes. It definitely helps get me excited about learning Korean.

:rolleyes:

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2308 on: November 07, 2016, 11:31:14 AM »
I sure do love it when an entire room full of people laughs at my pronunciation mistakes. It definitely helps get me excited about learning Korean.

Hope that changees for you soon

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2309 on: November 07, 2016, 11:35:49 AM »

Hope that changees for you soon

It's been happening for five years now, so I won't hold my breath.  :laugh:

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2310 on: November 07, 2016, 11:38:04 AM »
From my experience, it's has been the elder male teachers that show their disregard for others with regards to using speakers, instead of headphones.

The younger teachers 25-35 seem to "get it" and use headphones in the office.

Hopefully, these folks are a dying breed.

I so wanted to gift a set of headphones to the one teacher, but it would have been incredibly rude and passive aggressive.

Thankfully, that situation is in the past.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2311 on: November 07, 2016, 12:35:09 PM »
Not really a rant, but there's a pretty good conversation going on about mac n cheese in the random ramblings thread

>:( : Moonbrie, have you had lunch?
  :undecided: : I was about to eat these crackers [other cot] gave me
  >:( : Eat this bun
  :undecided: : What's in the bun?
  >:( : Red bean
  :undecided: : I don't really like red bean. I'll eat my crackers.
  >:( : but red bean is good for our health!
  :undecided: : I will eat black bean, yellow bean, white bean, but not red bean

That got a chuckle out of her. But then she continued badgering me to eat an especially questionable looking banana, claiming it was just "ripe" when I tried to point it out. I ate half of it and she looked like she wanted to say something about me not finishing it but held her tongue, thankfully.

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2312 on: November 07, 2016, 01:16:01 PM »
In the cafeteria, I'm eating my own homemade lunch.

Principal: What kind of rice is that?
Me: Basmati rice. Have you tried it?
Principal: No, you should eat Korean rice.
Me: ...
Principal: Korean rice is better than any other rice, it's good for your health.

On the tennis courts, on Saturday. An older gentleman decides to approach me and start a conversation.

Guy: Hello
Me: Hi
Guy: Do you know, Korea is 11th biggest economy in the world.
Me: ...Ok

This type of things happens regularly. I find it amusing that at some point, many Koreans taught themselves that it's somehow a good idea to start a conversation like this.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #2313 on: November 07, 2016, 01:19:37 PM »
In the cafeteria, I'm eating my own homemade lunch.

Principal: What kind of rice is that?
Me: Basmati rice. Have you tried it?
Principal: No, you should eat Korean rice.
Me: ...
Principal: Korean rice is better than any other rice, it's good for your health.

On the tennis courts, on Saturday. An older gentleman decides to approach me and start a conversation.

Guy: Hello
Me: Hi
Guy: Do you know, Korea is 11th biggest economy in the world.
Me: ...Ok

This type of things happens regularly. I find it amusing that at some point, many Koreans taught themselves that it's somehow a good idea to start a conversation like this.

Basmati is the shit. Horrible for makgeolli though, hahaha.

Offline Aqvm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2314 on: November 07, 2016, 01:27:13 PM »
Had a class today. Included a map of Korea to show students where a mountain mentioned in the book was. In the bottom right corner of the map it says:

EAST SEA
(Sea of Japan)

The students screamed in anger. One boy cried.

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2315 on: November 07, 2016, 01:34:42 PM »
I made that same mistake with university aged students. What an uproar. Same format as you mentioned:
EAST SEA
(Sea of Japn)

A female student got particularly firey about it.
I'm long past the period of actually trying to have an adult discussion about it. Just turn off the screen and move on.

Offline gagevt

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #2316 on: November 07, 2016, 01:38:00 PM »
Current rant: when I provide helpful information, but nobody fact-checks and all my incredibly clever jokes go completely unnoticed.  :cry:

Don't worry kyndo, I typically love your posts. Note that your wit and jokes don't go unappreciated.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2317 on: November 07, 2016, 01:38:25 PM »
Not really a rant, but there's a pretty good conversation going on about mac n cheese in the random ramblings thread

>:( : Moonbrie, have you had lunch?
  :undecided: : I was about to eat these crackers [other cot] gave me
  >:( : Eat this bun
  :undecided: : What's in the bun?
  >:( : Red bean
  :undecided: : I don't really like red bean. I'll eat my crackers.
  >:( : but red bean is good for our health!
  :undecided: : I will eat black bean, yellow bean, white bean, but not red bean

That got a chuckle out of her. But then she continued badgering me to eat an especially questionable looking banana, claiming it was just "ripe" when I tried to point it out. I ate half of it and she looked like she wanted to say something about me not finishing it but held her tongue, thankfully.

You got something against red?

In all seriousness, I love red bean. We can't be friends. At the same time, I also don't like questionable-looking bananas. We can be friends.

Offline Aqvm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2318 on: November 07, 2016, 01:39:20 PM »
I made that same mistake with university aged students. What an uproar. Same format as you mentioned:
EAST SEA
(Sea of Japn)

I'm long past the period of actually trying to have an adult discussion about it. Just turn off the screen and move on.
I put a post-it note on the screen over where it said 'Sea of Japan'. I'm definitely experienced enough to know not to try to discuss it, but I was still dismayed.

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2319 on: November 07, 2016, 01:49:03 PM »
EAST SEA
(Sea of Japn)

I put a post-it note on the screen over where it said 'Sea of Japan'. I'm definitely experienced enough to know not to try to discuss it, but I was still dismayed.

I've shown multiple times "Sea of Japan".

I explain in English that is what it is called. If you are speaking English and you want people to know what you are talking about, that's what you call it. In Korean it's East sea.

Then I just let them cry and get angry like a bunch of 5 year olds.