October 19, 2017, 03:40:38 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 521498 times)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2260 on: October 31, 2016, 10:48:45 AM »
Drank a lot last night after receiving news of a family friend's death, woke up still dizzy with my stomach feeling like crap. I have 5 classes to teach today.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2261 on: October 31, 2016, 11:53:09 AM »
It's one of the oldest tricks in the book that Korean females have down to a science. They make a mistake, do something wrong, cause a problem and they get angry at YOU. My wife used to be a master at it. Also experienced it with co-workers. Completely fark something up, get called out and turn around and get angry at the person who called them out. Deflection in it's finest form.

Is it just Korean women? Because my exboyfriend (Korean) was really good at that too. At first I didn't even realize he was doing it, but when I did I felt totally manipulated  >:(

That's every bad bf/gf around the world.  They seem always follow the same pattern. Even outside relationships look at the posts about work or whatever here that have the phrase "I know I was kind of in the wrong/being a jerk BUT..."

It's different from the "Yes, but..." Everyone does that at some point.

What I'm talking about is the sudden attack when in the wrong. Not a modicum of acceptance anything wrong was done wrong, just a full frontal bombardment.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2262 on: October 31, 2016, 12:44:08 PM »
I wish I taught my elem. classes by myself.

My coT is like a child sometimes-- except the children all know that if you touch the touch-screen, it's gonna move to the next slide... how can you act surprised every time when you just did it three times in a row??

What should have been a brief 5 minute ppt presentation before moving on to activities took almost more than double the estimated time because coT felt the need to interject tons of Korean after nearly everything. How do the kids learn any English when the coT is constantly talking in Korean all the time?  >:( For crying out loud, every kid I have knows how to count at least to 10 in English! We did a pumpkin paper craft and I had them number the pieces of paper to make it easier to give instructions and coT felt the need to interject and translate numbers. We only went from 1 - 8.  >:( >:(

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2263 on: October 31, 2016, 01:34:33 PM »
Over the weekend, I met two separate Korean girls who thought I needed to hear about how uncomfortable they feel around foreign men, because foreign men think Korean girls are easy.

They were talking about specific guys. One had an American work out  buddy and the other was actually dating an English guy (and had been seeking out English guys apparently after studying abroad in London) but even though they willingly found these guys in a sea of Korean people, they were complaining not about something that had happened, but something they heard from others would happen.

They had no bad experiences with these guys as far as I can tell. It sounds like the guys treated them well yet they were still somehow guilty. Honestly I usually do not have any tears to spare for white men who come over here and experience discrimination for the first time, but these stories irked me for a few reasons.

1. You are Korean and living in Korea, surely if you don't want to interact with foreign men you can avoid them EASILY. Stop hanging around foreigner/Korean meet ups, stop obsessing over English accents etc. It's not the same as a person from another country coming here and having a larger pool of Koreans to deal with.

2. I'm sure they would not like it if I started a convo with the topic of how all Korean guys are prostitute-loving woman abusers.

3. I did turn the situation around both times and tell them that Korean guys have the same stereotype against foreign girls too, and we have to be wary of guys just using us, but of course those girls had nothing much to say about that.

Basically I had to decide whether or not I wanted to compare stories with these girls about bad behavior from men. How many foreign guys actually caused them or their friends harm vs how many times my friends and I had been followed by Korean men, assaulted by them, creeped on or just creeped out by them, propositioned by them etc.

I mean I understand that the scary foreign man is a narrative that they've been hearing for a long time, but maybe search out the whole story before simply just believing it? One of the girls seriously was considering ending her friendship with the American guy because it "looked bad." I also just don't understand why they think I care to hear about it.

YoungMin

« Reply #2264 on: October 31, 2016, 01:37:14 PM »
I wish I taught my elem. classes by myself.

My coT is like a child sometimes-- except the children all know that if you touch the touch-screen, it's gonna move to the next slide... how can you act surprised every time when you just did it three times in a row??

What should have been a brief 5 minute ppt presentation before moving on to activities took almost more than double the estimated time because coT felt the need to interject tons of Korean after nearly everything. How do the kids learn any English when the coT is constantly talking in Korean all the time?  >:( For crying out loud, every kid I have knows how to count at least to 10 in English! We did a pumpkin paper craft and I had them number the pieces of paper to make it easier to give instructions and coT felt the need to interject and translate numbers. We only went from 1 - 8.  >:( >:(

I had an online class and I'd ask the students a question and the Korean teacher sitting in the room with them would tell them answer every time. Poor kids.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #2265 on: October 31, 2016, 02:41:12 PM »
Shot myself in the foot.

I went out with the principal and 2 of her temple friends for all you can drink makgeolli on Thursday. Great. Her friend keeps talking about her 27 yr old son and how I should meet him. (You know where this is going). I should teach him English.

I don't do this. I won't do it on a weekday, I've already worked 8 hours. I won't do it on the weekend, these days are sacred to me. So I always use the "I'm not allowed to do it because of my E-Visa. I can only have one job with this situation." WORKS EVERY TIME.

Not this time. "Oh! Okay. You can do it for free!"

:sad:  :huh:  :cry:  >:(

FUUUUUUUUUUU

"Yes! I will make you both dinner!"

FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU WHAT HAVE I DONE?

Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

YoungMin

« Reply #2266 on: October 31, 2016, 02:49:36 PM »
Shot myself in the foot.

I went out with the principal and 2 of her temple friends for all you can drink makgeolli on Thursday. Great. Her friend keeps talking about her 27 yr old son and how I should meet him. (You know where this is going). I should teach him English.

I don't do this. I won't do it on a weekday, I've already worked 8 hours. I won't do it on the weekend, these days are sacred to me. So I always use the "I'm not allowed to do it because of my E-Visa. I can only have one job with this situation." WORKS EVERY TIME.

FUUUUUUUUUUU

Hahaha. Classic. I can arrange a 'hit' for a small fee.

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2267 on: October 31, 2016, 02:54:04 PM »
Shot myself in the foot.

FUUUUUUUUUUU

This is why avoid these kinds of socializing events with Koreans over a certain age. It leads to one ****** thing.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #2268 on: October 31, 2016, 02:56:52 PM »
We need a goon squad for stuff like this. The van would pull up and we'd make the son an offer he can't refuse to drop the whole English thing. Could solve other problems too, ranging from smokers in non-smoking apartments to getting overdue salary from shady hagwon owners.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2269 on: October 31, 2016, 03:13:00 PM »
Shot myself in the foot.

FUUUUUUUUUUU

damn dude, that's harsh!

could always tell her that your contract forbids ANY type of outside work/English teaching - even for free.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2270 on: October 31, 2016, 03:19:54 PM »
Shot myself in the foot.

FUUUUUUUUUUU

I was in the hospital after surgery and some older guy was walking by my room and noticed that there was a foreigner. He popped in and started talkin to me in a mix of Korean and English for a little while. A couple days later, he caught me walking around in the halls and started walking and talking with me.

Later that day, he popped back into my room with two teenagers in tow and asked me to teach them English and made his nephew give me his phone so I could put my phone number in his phone. I also tried the E2 excuse but he just waved me off and said it would be for fun. I put the wrong number in the phone and then finally was discharged the next day.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #2271 on: October 31, 2016, 03:39:09 PM »
Shot myself in the foot.

FUUUUUUUUUUU

damn dude, that's harsh!

could always tell her that your contract forbids ANY type of outside work/English teaching - even for free.

My principal was there. She knows the contract in and out, hahaha.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2272 on: October 31, 2016, 03:42:22 PM »
Travel middle school coT texted me to let me know I don't have to go there this week due to open classes.

But.. one of my favorite classes is there. And I already lose out on the whole month of December since she starts maternity leave then... boo.

So I only have 3 classes left with them this semester and I have to bid farewell forever to the Grade 3s. They're a good group of kids, I'm really disappointed by this turn of events.

Guess I'll just have more time to plan winter camp. :/

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2273 on: October 31, 2016, 04:58:28 PM »
Shot myself in the foot.

FUUUUUUUUUUU

damn dude, that's harsh!

My principal was there. She knows the contract in and out, hahaha.

This is a perfect time to say that this can't be a regular thing. Like, yeah, you boned yourself and got roped into giving someone a free lesson, but like, it happens to the best of us. Just go, eat the food (deliciously) and give the dude a quick little crash course in English or a level assessment, and then afterwards you can be like "Yo look, that dinner was delicious and all, and I appreciate that, but I put all my energy into my work and school, and honestly I'm not looking to take on any more students."

I'm sure she'll understand.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2274 on: October 31, 2016, 05:19:28 PM »
Not exactly a rant, but this seems like the best place for this post as I've posted most of my boss cot stories here.

So, one of my cots came to class a bit late today - no surprise, she's often a few minutes or even ten minutes late, and on a couple occasions has completely forgotten about class and left me to teach on my own. It irks me a tiny bit but she's one of the best if not the best of my cots both teaching and personality-wise, so I don't give her a hard time about it. Turns out today she actually had a good reason for being late.

She got yelled at by boss cot.

She was so upset, after class she told me about it and I gave her a hug. Being Korean, she wouldn't say her name when telling me about it, but she said "you know who. you have that experience with her"  :shocked: :laugh: :laugh:

She accepted that she may have been in the wrong (she changed a test question without running it by boss cot first, but tbf, she's in charge of making the tests since boss cot doesn't like doing any actual work) but felt like the way that boss cot responded was unreasonable. She expressed the same feelings I've had whenever this kind of things happened; "I'm not a child, I'm not stupid, I'm not her student or her daughter so she can't talk to me like that and raise her voice."

Also got some dirt on boss cot from the Korean teachers' point of view. I was telling her about how boss cot will never give me input BEFORE I do a class/activity, even if I ask, but will tell me how much she thinks it sucks after and give no meaningful advice for how to improve other than "you can figure it out" (uh, clearly I can't by your standards). I was told she does this with everyone and the reason is because she doesn't like doing any work that is difficult. That's why the test-making is shoved off on the other teachers.

I feel bad for my cot especially because she is so nice, but in a way it was kind of a... relief? Even though I know that most of the things boss cot hassles me about are unreasonable, I had been feeling insecure recently. But this just confirms that she's an ass to everyone, it's just that no-one else coteaches with her so they don't have as much contact with her haha

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2275 on: October 31, 2016, 05:36:51 PM »
^I can kinda empathize. Admin. creep isn't just an arse to me, but to many of the others in the office as well. I felt somewhat relieved/vindicated to hear of his antics concerning other teachers. Dude is such a pompous arse.

Yet another example: so the other day we were playing a Korean game where you're in teams throwing sticks and everyone explained the basic concept to me (without needing English).

Every time it was my turn, he insisted on overly gesturing and loudly telling me where was "out." Every. Single. Time.

Even a child would be annoyed by this and one of the other teachers made eye contact with me with a face that seemed to express "Really??"

I'm not a child nor am I stupid and I feel sorry for your daughter cause if how you treat me is any indication, no wonder you used to bother me with messages about how your "daughter is angry" with you.  :rolleyes:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #2276 on: October 31, 2016, 05:46:48 PM »
Every time it was my turn, he insisted on overly gesturing and loudly telling me where was "out." Every. Single. Time.

Even a child would be annoyed by this and one of the other teachers made eye contact with me with a face that seemed to express "Really??"

I was taught how to open an .exe file on a CD that was in the CD drive today.
 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2277 on: October 31, 2016, 05:54:30 PM »
Today I taught my coT how to cut eyeholes out of paper masks.  :blank:

coT: "Oh! How can you cut it? I think you had better use a knife."
Me: "What? No. I will use scissors."
coT: "Oh, but how???"

I proceed to show her two simple ways to gouge out the eyeholes (stabbing a hole first or slightly bending the paper to snip an opening).

coT: "Wow!!"  :shocked:

Guess I shouldn't be surprised as this is the same coT that is constantly surprised that touching the touch screen makes it move to the next slide  :rolleyes:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #2278 on: October 31, 2016, 05:56:56 PM »

I was taught how to open an .exe file on a CD that was in the CD drive today.
 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What even is a CD? What is a drive? What is a computer - we don't have those in our backwards foreign countries.

Speaking of backwards - I've literally always coveted and wanted a MacBook Pro, not because they're functionally better than Windows notebooks, but just because they're pretty and it'd be a good laptop that would last for at least three years probably. But I could never justify buying one because I don't have any need for any Mac exclusive software, so it would be a purely aesthetic luxury purchase.

Fast forward to now - and there literally aren't any USB ports on the new MacBook Pros.
Literally. No SD card reader, either Do I want to literally carry a stupid dongle around just so I can charge my iPhone on my Mac? Or so I can pop an SD card in from my camera? I get that legacy connections can't stick around forever, but not even including a single USB 3.0 port is so ridiculous.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2279 on: October 31, 2016, 05:59:36 PM »

I'm not a child nor am I stupid and I feel sorry for your daughter cause if how you treat me is any indication, no wonder you used to bother me with messages about how your "daughter is angry" with you.  :rolleyes:

Yeah, whenever boss cot will make a comment that I'm like her daughter I'm like damn, I feel bad for your daughter then if you treat her like this. Principal also considers me like her daughter but she's nice and doesn't disrespect me lol. They probably have a great relationship.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment