November 19, 2017, 08:22:18 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564600 times)

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #220 on: July 14, 2016, 11:17:41 AM »
I know I've done nothing but share my misfortunes in this thread lately, but here's another:

Yesterday I was rear ended while at a dead stop at a red light. The driver got out and immediately started photographing his own car. No word of apology to me, no asking if I was ok, not a word to the car in front of mine which he shunted me into either.

I called it before it even happened, something about his face and the fact that he looked about 21 but was driving an expensive SUV - this guy is going to lie and try to blame this on me.

Sure enough the insurance guy shows up and speaks English. The piece of shit tells him that I stopped suddenly, hit the car in front of me and then he went into the back of me, due to my sudden stop. Both myself and the car in front had actually been at a dead stop for over a minute, he went into the back of me because he was speeding and on his phone.

The insurance guy told me his version of events and asked if there was anything I wanted him to translate to the to other guy. I looked the piece of shit dead in the eye and told the translator to please tell him that if he doesn't tell the truth about what happened I will kill him - KILL HIM. Please make sure you tell him very clearly - I. WILL. KILL. HIM.

Complete with strangulation and fist motions. The other guy went and hid out in his car while the insurance dude told me I should calm down.

Anyway, the stupid **** had a black box in his car which clearly showed that it was entirely his fault. 'My customer was mistaken with his story'. 'No your customer is a piece of shit.'

After driving away he still hadn't uttered a word of apology.

This concludes today's woe is me yarn.

This should be in the happiness thread.  I felt great satisfaction reading it.

Offline devsterl

• Super Waygook
« Reply #221 on: July 14, 2016, 11:18:32 AM »
I know I've done nothing but share my misfortunes in this thread lately, but here's another:

Yesterday I was rear ended while at a dead stop at a red light. The driver got out and immediately started photographing his own car. No word of apology to me, no asking if I was ok, not a word to the car in front of mine which he shunted me into either.

I called it before it even happened, something about his face and the fact that he looked about 21 but was driving an expensive SUV - this guy is going to lie and try to blame this on me.

Sure enough the insurance guy shows up and speaks English. The piece of shit tells him that I stopped suddenly, hit the car in front of me and then he went into the back of me, due to my sudden stop. Both myself and the car in front had actually been at a dead stop for over a minute, he went into the back of me because he was speeding and on his phone.

The insurance guy told me his version of events and asked if there was anything I wanted him to translate to the to other guy. I looked the piece of shit dead in the eye and told the translator to please tell him that if he doesn't tell the truth about what happened I will kill him - KILL HIM. Please make sure you tell him very clearly - I. WILL. KILL. HIM.

Complete with strangulation and fist motions. The other guy went and hid out in his car while the insurance dude told me I should calm down.

Anyway, the stupid **** had a black box in his car which clearly showed that it was entirely his fault. 'My customer was mistaken with his story'. 'No your customer is a piece of shit.'

Can't remember, but are you the same person who saw a Korean open your car and turn the lights on to drain the battery?

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #222 on: July 14, 2016, 11:24:11 AM »

This should be in the happiness thread.  I felt great satisfaction reading it.

+1

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #223 on: July 14, 2016, 11:27:23 AM »

I love the 'kill him' bit. I'm happy it worked out for you.

Offline DLJL

• Super Waygook
« Reply #224 on: July 14, 2016, 11:44:25 AM »

Can't remember, but are you the same person who saw a Korean open your car and turn the lights on to drain the battery?

Yup, that's me. Believe it or not that very same guy who did that also stole the wallet out of my car on Tuesday (as well as a pack of rolling tobacco - because reasons). I knew it was him because he's generally a prick at the best of times and when he walked by me after the deed he couldn't stop looking over his shoulder and generally looking anxious as ****.

An hour after I crossed paths with him a security guard found it hurled over the fence at my school, with the cash gone of course.

Hence why the next day when I got rear ended I was pretty much at the end of my rope and seriously weighed up my options while the insurance guy was doing his checks; how much money will I lose if I don't fulfil the last five weeks of my contract but just beat the living shit out of this guy instead? I'd feel better. Oh and I wouldn't have to do camp. Maybe....

If it wasn't for the black box showing all his lies it could have gotten very ugly.

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #225 on: July 14, 2016, 11:48:31 AM »

I love the 'kill him' bit. I'm happy it worked out for you.

If he was willing to lie, claiming you were at fault, I'm almost certain you're incredibly lucky that he didn't sue you for threatening his safety, he has a witness.

Either way, glad everything worked out. Incidentally, does anyone have a front as well as a rear black box?

Offline DLJL

• Super Waygook
« Reply #226 on: July 14, 2016, 12:04:39 PM »

If he was willing to lie, claiming you were at fault, I'm almost certain you're incredibly lucky that he didn't sue you for threatening his safety, he has a witness.

Either way, glad everything worked out. Incidentally, does anyone have a front as well as a rear black box?

It'd end up being a big mess - I think a person should get into serious trouble for lying to insurance people about how an accident happened, especially if the lie is shifting blame onto the person you have wronged. Not only was he not in the least bit sorry for what he did but he was perfectly happy to screw over the person he just hit by saying it was their fault.

I'm leaving in five weeks so the only outcome for me would have been me getting on a plane without my final month's pay and severance and what not if I'd ended up causing a scene and getting myself in trouble. I'd already made up my mind that no matter what he wasn't getting a penny out of me. The whole "I'm going to beat the shit out of this guy" was just rage, I was actually very calm about the whole thing until he started pulling that shit and then I started shaking uncontrollably and told the insurance guy that I needed to go sit down and have a cigarette, I couldn't even talk with them while the other guy was standing there, he was making me so angry.

You're right though it would have been a dumb move to escalate it, but his is a face that needs to be slapped by someone, at some point. We can only hope.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 12:06:20 PM by DLJL »

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #227 on: July 14, 2016, 01:26:29 PM »
Today they gave us sliced apples at lunch, but they'd been marinated in spicy vinegar stuff so it was like a nasty sweet kimchi or something. Why would you do that to apples? Why does every dish have to be spicy? Why couldn't they have just given us fresh sliced apples without ruining them like that. :cry:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #228 on: July 14, 2016, 01:31:27 PM »
Today they gave us sliced apples at lunch, but they'd been marinated in spicy vinegar stuff so it was like a nasty sweet kimchi or something. Why would you do that to apples? Why does every dish have to be spicy? Why couldn't they have just given us fresh sliced apples without ruining them like that. :cry:

I had a quartered tomato, arugula, pineapple and yuja (citrus?) salad covered in vinegar yesterday.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #229 on: July 14, 2016, 01:47:15 PM »

My (Korean, if it matters) girlfriend got hit by a car riding her bike across the crosswalk early this year. Granted, apparently your not supposed to ride your bike on the crosswalks here, you're supposed to walk it, and for some inane reason she decided to compromise her safety by riding around with earbuds in and without a helmet, but she waited for the light to change, she starts going after she sees the signal to walk, and she got nailed by a guy who never bothered to slow down coming around a broad, blind corner. She was hospitalized with some pretty serious injuries but eventually came out of it all right, but yeah, the driver's story didn't completely jibe with the truth. He said she was coming up the road on her bike from the opposite direction and was turning off the crosswalk. This was at a huge intersection but for some reason there was no CCTV installed on that corner, so for a while it wasn't clear how the situation would pan out, but eventually the police were able to find some CCTV footage from one of the businesses in front of which the accident happened. I despise that man for fabricating a story to shift the blame to the victim of his reckless driving and I probably would have acted similarly to DLJL if the driver had ever had the courage to visit my girlfriend in the hospital.

N.B. Because my girlfriend was on her bike, not walking it, she was still found to be 10% liable for the accident.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #230 on: July 14, 2016, 01:56:50 PM »

Tbf the vinegar prevented browning.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #231 on: July 14, 2016, 02:13:08 PM »
Like 4 teachers in the office are discussing or arguing (I can't tell which) about something to do with me and the sports club I supervise -- my name keeps getting tossed around but I don't know enough Korean to understand specifics.

Kind of giving me a headache though. Guess I'll be asking my coT later what the heck is going on  :huh:

Offline TeresaD

• Veteran
« Reply #232 on: July 14, 2016, 02:21:56 PM »
I looked the piece of shit dead in the eye and told the translator to please tell him that if he doesn't tell the truth about what happened I will kill him - KILL HIM. Please make sure you tell him very clearly - I. WILL. KILL. HIM.

This made me laugh so hard I cried. I see you got a lot of appreciation for this part of the story, but I just had to say this seriously gave me such joy. (I am a pacifist, but that was hilarious :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:)
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer" - Albert Camus

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #233 on: July 14, 2016, 02:35:49 PM »

It also prevented it from being palatable.

Offline DLJL

• Super Waygook
« Reply #234 on: July 14, 2016, 03:59:29 PM »

So, just eat the vinegar apples and understand that the bad taste will go away, but you'll be running on the energy of those apples for a few hours, and that's pretty cool.

Boy what a hoot dinner at your house must be.

Choke it down children, it's providing you with valuable calories to ensure your metabolism continues to function.

Online Savant

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #235 on: July 14, 2016, 09:19:35 PM »
F*** the Korean banking system! Fastest internet in the world but the worlds shittest customer user experience when needing to do internet/smartphone banking.

Can't get a new certificate to my smartphone cause my laptop doesn't have Korean windows so I can get it copied to my computer but not my phone cause the window comes up in gibberish.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #236 on: July 15, 2016, 08:43:24 AM »
My CoT just has a bit of self-awareness spring up. We have to make slogans for the English speech contest. I'm the native speaker (duh) so I'm coming up with all sorts of clever ones and I'm working hard and EVERY SINGLE one keeps getting shot down. I don't know what to do. I've come up with 12 of them and they're all shit? How?

So I finally cave a little and make them sound like my Co-T would want (A LITTLE BIT). She says they're better and types them into a document file. She translates them into Korean to show the principal later and says, "Ugh, these sound so stupid in Korean."

DING DING DING, that's how all Korean slogans sound when they are translated into English. That's why we have native speakers.

Touch out the hand beyond the world's dream

Imagine the mind of horizon

Reach up to exceed the Seolbing ladder (I love it when naver can't translate a word so it just phonetically anglicises it  :rolleyes:)

These aren't real obv, but we've all seen crap like this plastered all over the country. I'll handle the English slogans, you handle the Korean ones.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #237 on: July 15, 2016, 09:30:46 AM »
These aren't real obv, but we've all seen crap like this plastered all over the country. I'll handle the English slogans, you handle the Korean ones.
The sad part is, those crappy slogans are far more effective than cooler sounding ones. Think bout who the audience is: the anglicized version of a great Korean slogan will sound like utter garbage to us, but will be a far better marketing jingle than anything we would come up with (which would lack any kind of resonance after it has run through the translator in the prospective customer's head).

"Hand-drip coffee for roasted lovers" ---> "구운 애호가를위한 핸드 드립 커피?" Awesome, sign me up!

"Where our expertise is still a family tradition." ---> "어디 우리의 전문 지식은 여전히 가족의 전통이다"? Wtf? What does that even mean? Sounds stupid.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #238 on: July 15, 2016, 09:38:49 AM »
This is basically a daily gripe but I just can't help it: why do some Koreans talk so loudly? Why why why why. That's bad enough but it also seems like the louder the conversation, the longer it lasts.  :cry:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 09:41:17 AM by chupacaubrey »

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #239 on: July 15, 2016, 01:38:16 PM »

It also prevented it from being palatable.

Food doesn't always have to be delicious. It's like when you buy bread for sandwiches, and then you finish all the toppings, but still have a piece of bread left. Dinner time comes around, you need to eat, but you only have a piece of bread.

You can make a meal out of that by putting some mustard and mayonnaise on it. It's not going to be the best meal you've ever had, but it's enough to say you didn't have to skip dinner.

So, just eat the vinegar apples and understand that the bad taste will go away, but you'll be running on the energy of those apples for a few hours, and that's pretty cool.

You must be joking.

This has never happened to me and will never happen to me so long as I can afford another loaf of bread.