September 22, 2017, 01:36:50 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 486178 times)

Online Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #220 on: July 14, 2016, 10:37:40 AM »
Chefu Baek. Is that the guy who goes around random restaurants and shoves a camera at a bowl of ramyeon that looks like every other bowl of ramyeon. Followed by up-close slurping action that makes the studio audience "oooohhh" about what is only a bowl of ramyeon.

The same.  The audience-gaspathon program when somebody is doing something utterly banal foodwise, to the amazement of the brainless dollops in the studio.  Korean food tv really is horrendous rubbish.  He is also the patron at Yesan High School in Chungnam where my Korean friend works.  All the teachers were warned that there was nothing illegal allowed to go on at the school because it would affect this brand.  Rug wearing pirck!

Offline toddingumi

• Veteran
« Reply #221 on: July 14, 2016, 10:41:03 AM »
I had to do a poo at work today because I ate the school lunch.

Why can't they get toilet paper right? Do they think they are saving 100won by buying the Nanuri jumbo roll?

I practically had to use half of this roll to get a clean wipe.

Now I think I have worked out why some of my students go walking around smelling like shit all day.

This. The John Wayne toilet paper. It's horrible

Offline Savant

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #222 on: July 14, 2016, 11:02:46 AM »
Chefu Baek. Is that the guy who goes around random restaurants and shoves a camera at a bowl of ramyeon that looks like every other bowl of ramyeon. Followed by up-close slurping action that makes the studio audience "oooohhh" about what is only a bowl of ramyeon.

The same.  The audience-gaspathon program when somebody is doing something utterly banal foodwise, to the amazement of the brainless dollops in the studio.  Korean food tv really is horrendous rubbish.  He is also the patron at Yesan High School in Chungnam where my Korean friend works.  All the teachers were warned that there was nothing illegal allowed to go on at the school because it would affect this brand.  Rug wearing pirck!

I think he was on another cooking tv show where he was teaching the guests/hosts how to cook pancakes. Now, it's pancakes; not a 3 course meal using fine ingredients but they were all in awe at his pancake making ability.

I think the only Korean cooking show I like is "Celebrity Masterchef" because they have foreigners who cook food other than Korean food, which is what the normal Masterchef Korea is.

Gasian

« Reply #223 on: July 14, 2016, 01:34:49 PM »
I wish I could just heavily sedate myself on meds for the rest of the year.

Oh god yes.
This is weird.  I've been here a while, but I have never felt like this.  The occasional annoyance, but nothing major.

Now I feel exactly like this, and I have noticed a few other people saying the same thing.

I feel like it's the beginning of the end and nobody cares anymore, so everything's going downhill (like working conditions).  It's very strange.

I'm halfway through my third contract, which I know is not as long as some of the veterans on this site, but I've started feeling like this a few months ago. Waking up in the morning has become the worst part of the day. It always was, but now more than ever.

Just counting down the days... months... :blank:

I relate so much to all of this. It's my second year and it is much harder for me this year than it was last year (and last year was a challenge). Getting up in the morning is so hard. I practise positive thinking, go out of my way to do things I like/keep up with my hobbies, plan things for weekends etc, write words of affirmation all over the place, but I'm still drowning in this depressive episode right now. (Didn't help that I was super sick last week and I reacted poorly to the meds, getting a skin rash. Plus I think I have a tummy bug at the moment. *whinge whinge*)

I feel less alone. I'm counting the months too :cry:

I feel you and I wish you weren't going through this. I especially wish you weren't ill, that does make things so much harder.

Today is one of those days where I just cannot. I am so exhausted. Had two caffeine tablets and have overdosed on vitamin b and coffee and ... nothing. Just sitting here, staring at facebook (pokemon go page - hoping for a miracle) and waygook and refreshing every now and again. I just can't do anything. It's a bad day. This too shall pass, but if my CT gives me any grief about sitting here doing nothing, I am going to ask her why she is still marking her 10 grammar tests from last week. Why can't I nap at my desk like everyone else?

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #224 on: July 14, 2016, 01:53:27 PM »
Not a rant, but a depressing moment in class a while back. Students are doing a role-play involving a restaurant. I encourage them to change things up a bit wherever possible and praise any efforts at prop use or acting. Multiple groups in one class decided to change the script to end with them abusing and assaulting the (non-Korean) waiter character. They thought this was hilarious.

My attempts to turn this into a teachable moment were dissuaded by the co-teacher, presumably due to time.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 04:51:07 PM by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline DLJL

• Super Waygook
« Reply #225 on: July 14, 2016, 02:09:44 PM »
I know I've done nothing but share my misfortunes in this thread lately, but here's another:

Yesterday I was rear ended while at a dead stop at a red light. The driver got out and immediately started photographing his own car. No word of apology to me, no asking if I was ok, not a word to the car in front of mine which he shunted me into either.

I called it before it even happened, something about his face and the fact that he looked about 21 but was driving an expensive SUV - this guy is going to lie and try to blame this on me.

Sure enough the insurance guy shows up and speaks English. The piece of shit tells him that I stopped suddenly, hit the car in front of me and then he went into the back of me, due to my sudden stop. Both myself and the car in front had actually been at a dead stop for over a minute, he went into the back of me because he was speeding and on his phone.

The insurance guy told me his version of events and asked if there was anything I wanted him to translate to the to other guy. I looked the piece of shit dead in the eye and told the translator to please tell him that if he doesn't tell the truth about what happened I will kill him - KILL HIM. Please make sure you tell him very clearly - I. WILL. KILL. HIM.

Complete with strangulation and fist motions. The other guy went and hid out in his car while the insurance dude told me I should calm down.

Anyway, the stupid **** had a black box in his car which clearly showed that it was entirely his fault. 'My customer was mistaken with his story'. 'No your customer is a piece of shit.'

After driving away he still hadn't uttered a word of apology.

This concludes today's woe is me yarn.

Gasian

« Reply #226 on: July 14, 2016, 02:14:15 PM »

I looked the piece of shit dead in the eye and told the translator to please tell him that if he doesn't tell the truth about what happened I will kill him - KILL HIM. Please make sure you tell him very clearly - I. WILL. KILL. HIM.

Complete with strangulation and fist motions.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I am laughing so much at this, so much. I am sorry that it happened to you, but shit that is funny!!!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 02:17:01 PM by MataHari »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #227 on: July 14, 2016, 02:16:44 PM »

I think he was on another cooking tv show where he was teaching the guests/hosts how to cook pancakes. Now, it's pancakes; not a 3 course meal using fine ingredients but they were all in awe at his pancake making ability.

I think the only Korean cooking show I like is "Celebrity Masterchef" because they have foreigners who cook food other than Korean food, which is what the normal Masterchef Korea is.
I've said it before and I'll say it again here. Korean food is a lot of preparing, not a lot of cooking per se. Dalkgalbi is great, but anyone can be taught to prepare a complete dalkgalbi dish in 10 minutes. Hell, I don't even have to show you, I could do it verbally and any schmoe could do it. Duck confit? Yeah, you'll **** that up.

List any Korean food and you'll find that a lot of the time, it's prepared, not cuisined.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #228 on: July 14, 2016, 02:17:41 PM »
I know I've done nothing but share my misfortunes in this thread lately, but here's another:

Yesterday I was rear ended while at a dead stop at a red light. The driver got out and immediately started photographing his own car. No word of apology to me, no asking if I was ok, not a word to the car in front of mine which he shunted me into either.

I called it before it even happened, something about his face and the fact that he looked about 21 but was driving an expensive SUV - this guy is going to lie and try to blame this on me.

Sure enough the insurance guy shows up and speaks English. The piece of shit tells him that I stopped suddenly, hit the car in front of me and then he went into the back of me, due to my sudden stop. Both myself and the car in front had actually been at a dead stop for over a minute, he went into the back of me because he was speeding and on his phone.

The insurance guy told me his version of events and asked if there was anything I wanted him to translate to the to other guy. I looked the piece of shit dead in the eye and told the translator to please tell him that if he doesn't tell the truth about what happened I will kill him - KILL HIM. Please make sure you tell him very clearly - I. WILL. KILL. HIM.

Complete with strangulation and fist motions. The other guy went and hid out in his car while the insurance dude told me I should calm down.

Anyway, the stupid **** had a black box in his car which clearly showed that it was entirely his fault. 'My customer was mistaken with his story'. 'No your customer is a piece of shit.'

This should be in the happiness thread.  I felt great satisfaction reading it.

Offline devsterl

• Super Waygook
« Reply #229 on: July 14, 2016, 02:18:32 PM »

Can't remember, but are you the same person who saw a Korean open your car and turn the lights on to drain the battery?

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #230 on: July 14, 2016, 02:24:11 PM »

This should be in the happiness thread.  I felt great satisfaction reading it.

+1

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #231 on: July 14, 2016, 02:27:23 PM »

I love the 'kill him' bit. I'm happy it worked out for you.

Offline DLJL

• Super Waygook
« Reply #232 on: July 14, 2016, 02:44:25 PM »

Can't remember, but are you the same person who saw a Korean open your car and turn the lights on to drain the battery?

Yup, that's me. Believe it or not that very same guy who did that also stole the wallet out of my car on Tuesday (as well as a pack of rolling tobacco - because reasons). I knew it was him because he's generally a prick at the best of times and when he walked by me after the deed he couldn't stop looking over his shoulder and generally looking anxious as ****.

An hour after I crossed paths with him a security guard found it hurled over the fence at my school, with the cash gone of course.

Hence why the next day when I got rear ended I was pretty much at the end of my rope and seriously weighed up my options while the insurance guy was doing his checks; how much money will I lose if I don't fulfil the last five weeks of my contract but just beat the living shit out of this guy instead? I'd feel better. Oh and I wouldn't have to do camp. Maybe....

If it wasn't for the black box showing all his lies it could have gotten very ugly.

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #233 on: July 14, 2016, 02:48:31 PM »

I love the 'kill him' bit. I'm happy it worked out for you.

If he was willing to lie, claiming you were at fault, I'm almost certain you're incredibly lucky that he didn't sue you for threatening his safety, he has a witness.

Either way, glad everything worked out. Incidentally, does anyone have a front as well as a rear black box?

Offline DLJL

• Super Waygook
« Reply #234 on: July 14, 2016, 03:04:39 PM »

If he was willing to lie, claiming you were at fault, I'm almost certain you're incredibly lucky that he didn't sue you for threatening his safety, he has a witness.

Either way, glad everything worked out. Incidentally, does anyone have a front as well as a rear black box?

It'd end up being a big mess - I think a person should get into serious trouble for lying to insurance people about how an accident happened, especially if the lie is shifting blame onto the person you have wronged. Not only was he not in the least bit sorry for what he did but he was perfectly happy to screw over the person he just hit by saying it was their fault.

I'm leaving in five weeks so the only outcome for me would have been me getting on a plane without my final month's pay and severance and what not if I'd ended up causing a scene and getting myself in trouble. I'd already made up my mind that no matter what he wasn't getting a penny out of me. The whole "I'm going to beat the shit out of this guy" was just rage, I was actually very calm about the whole thing until he started pulling that shit and then I started shaking uncontrollably and told the insurance guy that I needed to go sit down and have a cigarette, I couldn't even talk with them while the other guy was standing there, he was making me so angry.

You're right though it would have been a dumb move to escalate it, but his is a face that needs to be slapped by someone, at some point. We can only hope.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 03:06:20 PM by DLJL »

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #235 on: July 14, 2016, 04:26:29 PM »
Today they gave us sliced apples at lunch, but they'd been marinated in spicy vinegar stuff so it was like a nasty sweet kimchi or something. Why would you do that to apples? Why does every dish have to be spicy? Why couldn't they have just given us fresh sliced apples without ruining them like that. :cry:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #236 on: July 14, 2016, 04:31:27 PM »
Today they gave us sliced apples at lunch, but they'd been marinated in spicy vinegar stuff so it was like a nasty sweet kimchi or something. Why would you do that to apples? Why does every dish have to be spicy? Why couldn't they have just given us fresh sliced apples without ruining them like that. :cry:

I had a quartered tomato, arugula, pineapple and yuja (citrus?) salad covered in vinegar yesterday.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #237 on: July 14, 2016, 04:47:15 PM »

My (Korean, if it matters) girlfriend got hit by a car riding her bike across the crosswalk early this year. Granted, apparently your not supposed to ride your bike on the crosswalks here, you're supposed to walk it, and for some inane reason she decided to compromise her safety by riding around with earbuds in and without a helmet, but she waited for the light to change, she starts going after she sees the signal to walk, and she got nailed by a guy who never bothered to slow down coming around a broad, blind corner. She was hospitalized with some pretty serious injuries but eventually came out of it all right, but yeah, the driver's story didn't completely jibe with the truth. He said she was coming up the road on her bike from the opposite direction and was turning off the crosswalk. This was at a huge intersection but for some reason there was no CCTV installed on that corner, so for a while it wasn't clear how the situation would pan out, but eventually the police were able to find some CCTV footage from one of the businesses in front of which the accident happened. I despise that man for fabricating a story to shift the blame to the victim of his reckless driving and I probably would have acted similarly to DLJL if the driver had ever had the courage to visit my girlfriend in the hospital.

N.B. Because my girlfriend was on her bike, not walking it, she was still found to be 10% liable for the accident.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #238 on: July 14, 2016, 04:56:50 PM »

Tbf the vinegar prevented browning.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #239 on: July 14, 2016, 05:13:08 PM »
Like 4 teachers in the office are discussing or arguing (I can't tell which) about something to do with me and the sports club I supervise -- my name keeps getting tossed around but I don't know enough Korean to understand specifics.

Kind of giving me a headache though. Guess I'll be asking my coT later what the heck is going on  :huh:

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment