September 21, 2017, 09:38:09 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 485087 times)

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2180 on: October 25, 2016, 10:50:58 PM »
the US is just below 10%

Not anymore. It's higher now.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/194195/adults-say-smoke-marijuana.aspx

Thirteen percent of U.S. adults tell Gallup they currently smoke marijuana

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2181 on: October 25, 2016, 10:54:56 PM »
It's pretty easy to get your view of things distorted by the kinds of people you hang out with. My childhood friends through highschool all smoked weed. But since then I've always been surprised how different groups I've become part of, university, jobs, sports, how few people have ever had anything to do with any drugs.

My teen years gave me the impression that EVERYONE at least smoked weed, subsequently I've found that far from the truth.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2182 on: October 25, 2016, 10:59:06 PM »
A lot of people have never even had a sip of alcohol. Roughly half the world's population- 48%.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #2183 on: October 26, 2016, 01:43:58 AM »
It's pretty easy to get your view of things distorted by the kinds of people you hang out with. My childhood friends through highschool all smoked weed. But since then I've always been surprised how different groups I've become part of, university, jobs, sports, how few people have ever had anything to do with any drugs.

My teen years gave me the impression that EVERYONE at least smoked weed, subsequently I've found that far from the truth.

Oh I agree a lot of people don't, the vast majority. But my big point was the discrepency between Koreans and NETs when it comes to having TRIED weed. There would be zero reaction to finding out the new expat in town smoked weed in college. There would be quite the shock if your new CT said she smoked weed during her time at Seoul Uni of Education. Can't we just admit that while the shoe might not perfectly fit, that there is a massive disparity here and at least partially own it?

Not to mention, I'd wager that people from our countries who would live overseas (not deployed/dispatched) are more likely to engage in risk taking behavior, including drug experimentation. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm guessing support for legalized pot in Korea is something like 2% That's a big gap.

I'd also wager there's at least one gripe about Koreans we have that is in the 50% have done it once, 13% do it regularly category.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2184 on: October 26, 2016, 01:56:53 AM »
If you polled men about how many have been with prostitutes, I think most foreigners would be shocked by the results in Korea.

Is that what you mean?

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #2186 on: October 26, 2016, 10:34:42 AM »
My point was not that some of us do drugs, it was that even knowing about drug culture raises eyebrows. I know a lot about drugs through our media and culture. But even that gets a "어, no no no no no" *waves hands frantically*

When my GF tries to tell me about how drugs are bad and then won't elaborate ONE SINGLE DETAIL following that, I tell her that I don't fly into cardiology conventions and start interrupting people and saying, "That's not how I feel about open heart surgery."

You know why? Because I have no idea how to/what open heart surgery is. 
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2187 on: October 26, 2016, 11:04:12 AM »
If you polled men about how many have been with prostitutes, I think most foreigners would be shocked by the results in Korea.

Don't quote me on this, but I thought I read 43% somewhere recently.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2188 on: October 26, 2016, 11:08:04 AM »
All my powerpoint files seem to have been damaged somehow overnight. Whenever I try to open them, I get the damaged error in Powerpoint, which then either doesn't open or just closes. >.< Things were working fine yesterday, and they are fine on my personal laptop, but the school computers see my files as damaged. >.<
I don't bring my laptop to my travel schools as well, so I'm not sure what I will do for the day - granted, I only have 1 class today, since my other classes are practicing for some upcoming test.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #2189 on: October 26, 2016, 11:11:02 AM »

Is that what you mean?

Well I wasn't thinking of that, but you could use that as an example, although I don't think the numbers really match on that one as the numbers are probably far higher.

My point was not that some of us do drugs, it was that even knowing about drug culture raises eyebrows. I know a lot about drugs through our media and culture. But even that gets a "어, no no no no no" *waves hands frantically*

When my GF tries to tell me about how drugs are bad and then won't elaborate ONE SINGLE DETAIL following that, I tell her that I don't fly into cardiology conventions and start interrupting people and saying, "That's not how I feel about open heart surgery."

You know why? Because I have no idea how to/what open heart surgery is. 

I think use of illegal drugs and open heart surgery is way different. That's like saying you need to be a boxer to know it's wrong to hit people. You don't need years and years of school and high intellect to be a heart surgeon. With drugs all you need is two months and 10 grand to blow.

But yes, one of the consequences of having a liberal attitude towards drug use as a society is that you'll be considered potential drug users abroad. We need to stop pretending like this is some sort of completely unfounded accusation.

Yeah, lots of people where we're from have tried drugs. 13% are habitual users. This whole "we might be drug users" thing? Not that far out of left field.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #2190 on: October 26, 2016, 11:12:33 AM »
I had a couple friends visit me last week from California and it was nice. They told me back in May they were coming and one of them used to live in Korea so it was a nice anticipated reunion. 3 weeks ago my Canadian friend announced she was coming to see me. Excited but some notice would have been nice. Anyway so she arrived in Seoul last week (Im on the other end of the country) and has been there since and keeps changing the date that shes coming. She was meant to come Monday, and then Tuesday and then today...and I haven't heard from her. We keep making all these plans to do once she does get here and she is meant to be staying with me but the lack of communication (its not just no wifi, its her personality) is driving my anxiety crazy. I get that she is on vacation but I am not and I need to plan my week around it. Still have no idea when she is arriving... will be nice to see her when she finally does...

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2191 on: October 26, 2016, 11:20:39 AM »
I had a couple friends visit me last week from California and it was nice. They told me back in May they were coming and one of them used to live in Korea so it was a nice anticipated reunion. 3 weeks ago my Canadian friend announced she was coming to see me. Excited but some notice would have been nice. Anyway so she arrived in Seoul last week (Im on the other end of the country) and has been there since and keeps changing the date that shes coming. She was meant to come Monday, and then Tuesday and then today...and I haven't heard from her. We keep making all these plans to do once she does get here and she is meant to be staying with me but the lack of communication (its not just no wifi, its her personality) is driving my anxiety crazy. I get that she is on vacation but I am not and I need to plan my week around it. Still have no idea when she is arriving... will be nice to see her when she finally does...
I have a friend that has been saying for the last 3 years she was going to visit me. She finally planned and told me that she would be here this month, towards the beginning of October, so I made some loose plans of things to do and some trips out of Seoul. End of September comes, she should be here in a week and I ask her whats up and... she forget to tell me she cancelled the whole thing.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2192 on: October 26, 2016, 11:41:41 AM »
I have a friend that has been saying for the last 3 years she was going to visit me. She finally planned and told me that she would be here this month, towards the beginning of October, so I made some loose plans of things to do and some trips out of Seoul. End of September comes, she should be here in a week and I ask her whats up and... she forget to tell me she cancelled the whole thing.
"hahah my life is so disorganized" she says to me 5 mins ago lol At least shes coming...

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #2193 on: October 26, 2016, 12:09:09 PM »
When I see random threads about "Framingham Cohort"(with the notable exception of the latest one), it makes it sound like a cult. They never give information about what the heck a "Framingham Cohort" is, just that they're meeting. Might as well be Mannam/Shinchonji or maybe the Freemasons for all I know. Do you all have ranks in this? Is there a 20th Degree Framingham Knight of the East and West Sea?

I know what it really is. Just saying that they sure make themselves sound mysterious and culty.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:12:26 PM by Mr.DeMartino »

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2194 on: October 26, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
It's a way of making sure you're in the know, you know? Only applies if you do.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2195 on: October 26, 2016, 12:36:10 PM »

!@&^%@#!&%@^*!&^#&@# I just had a friend visit recently (and like you, I am not on vacation) but it was really last minute. I didn't even realise she was in Korea until she kakaoed me to say she was coming to my place that day. Um... no, you're not? I already made plans and am not in town. Then she has the audacity to get angry at me for not making time for her. :rolleyes: She came a few days later on the weekday but we could only get dinner and of course she was annoyed that I couldn't hang out more despite the fact that I cancelled plans to be with her that day. Whatever. I'm not her only friend in Korea so she can just deal with it.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2196 on: October 26, 2016, 12:39:06 PM »
I have a friend that has been saying for the last 3 years she was going to visit me. She finally planned and told me that she would be here this month, towards the beginning of October, so I made some loose plans of things to do and some trips out of Seoul. End of September comes, she should be here in a week and I ask her whats up and... she forgot to tell me she cancelled the whole thing.
"hahah my life is so disorganized" she says to me 5 mins ago lol At least shes coming...
Whenever she does get there I'm sure you'll have a good time! Now if only she can figure out when to organize her life and make it happen, haha.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2197 on: October 26, 2016, 12:42:26 PM »

!@&^%@#!&%@^*!&^#&@# I just had a friend visit recently (and like you, I am not on vacation) but it was really last minute. I didn't even realise she was in Korea until she kakaoed me to say she was coming to my place that day. Um... no, you're not? I already made plans and am not in town. Then she has the audacity to get angry at me for not making time for her. :rolleyes: She came a few days later on the weekday but we could only get dinner and of course she was annoyed that I couldn't hang out more despite the fact that I cancelled plans to be with her that day. Whatever. I'm not her only friend in Korea so she can just deal with it.
My friend is very go with the flow and I met her traveling so we are not super close so I don't feel super obligated to be with her. I told her my only rule  is to not let people come in my place. I half hope she feels like my floor is uncomfortable and will went to get a hotel...  :lipsrsealed:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2198 on: October 26, 2016, 02:01:33 PM »

My friend is very go with the flow and I met her traveling so we are not super close so I don't feel super obligated to be with her. I told her my only rule  is to not let people come in my place. I half hope she feels like my floor is uncomfortable and will went to get a hotel...  :lipsrsealed:

I've known this friend for quite a while but the only reason I don't feel the need to accomodate as much is because we never really contact each other apart from happy birthday wishes and the occasional "hey how are you" type of thing. I appreciate go-with-the-flow people and sometimes envy them for it, but I also think it's rude to expect others to accomodate your ever-changing lifestyle. If this was my family or best friend we were talking about, I would still be annoyed but would definitely go out of my way to change my plans to be with them. Not so for her, as mean as that sounds.

Having said that, I still hope you have a good time with your friend. :)

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #2199 on: October 26, 2016, 02:20:25 PM »
All that weed talk has made me want to spark a doobie and reminisce on my time in University hahahaha!

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment