November 22, 2017, 08:51:52 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 569021 times)

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2080 on: October 26, 2016, 08:41:41 AM »
I had a couple friends visit me last week from California and it was nice. They told me back in May they were coming and one of them used to live in Korea so it was a nice anticipated reunion. 3 weeks ago my Canadian friend announced she was coming to see me. Excited but some notice would have been nice. Anyway so she arrived in Seoul last week (Im on the other end of the country) and has been there since and keeps changing the date that shes coming. She was meant to come Monday, and then Tuesday and then today...and I haven't heard from her. We keep making all these plans to do once she does get here and she is meant to be staying with me but the lack of communication (its not just no wifi, its her personality) is driving my anxiety crazy. I get that she is on vacation but I am not and I need to plan my week around it. Still have no idea when she is arriving... will be nice to see her when she finally does...
I have a friend that has been saying for the last 3 years she was going to visit me. She finally planned and told me that she would be here this month, towards the beginning of October, so I made some loose plans of things to do and some trips out of Seoul. End of September comes, she should be here in a week and I ask her whats up and... she forget to tell me she cancelled the whole thing.
"hahah my life is so disorganized" she says to me 5 mins ago lol At least shes coming...

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #2081 on: October 26, 2016, 09:09:09 AM »
When I see random threads about "Framingham Cohort"(with the notable exception of the latest one), it makes it sound like a cult. They never give information about what the heck a "Framingham Cohort" is, just that they're meeting. Might as well be Mannam/Shinchonji or maybe the Freemasons for all I know. Do you all have ranks in this? Is there a 20th Degree Framingham Knight of the East and West Sea?

I know what it really is. Just saying that they sure make themselves sound mysterious and culty.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 09:12:26 AM by Mr.DeMartino »

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2082 on: October 26, 2016, 09:20:00 AM »
It's a way of making sure you're in the know, you know? Only applies if you do.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2083 on: October 26, 2016, 09:36:10 AM »
I had a couple friends visit me last week from California and it was nice. They told me back in May they were coming and one of them used to live in Korea so it was a nice anticipated reunion. 3 weeks ago my Canadian friend announced she was coming to see me. Excited but some notice would have been nice. Anyway so she arrived in Seoul last week (Im on the other end of the country) and has been there since and keeps changing the date that shes coming. She was meant to come Monday, and then Tuesday and then today...and I haven't heard from her. We keep making all these plans to do once she does get here and she is meant to be staying with me but the lack of communication (its not just no wifi, its her personality) is driving my anxiety crazy. I get that she is on vacation but I am not and I need to plan my week around it. Still have no idea when she is arriving... will be nice to see her when she finally does...

!@&^%@#!&%@^*!&^#&@# I just had a friend visit recently (and like you, I am not on vacation) but it was really last minute. I didn't even realise she was in Korea until she kakaoed me to say she was coming to my place that day. Um... no, you're not? I already made plans and am not in town. Then she has the audacity to get angry at me for not making time for her. :rolleyes: She came a few days later on the weekday but we could only get dinner and of course she was annoyed that I couldn't hang out more despite the fact that I cancelled plans to be with her that day. Whatever. I'm not her only friend in Korea so she can just deal with it.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2084 on: October 26, 2016, 09:39:06 AM »
I have a friend that has been saying for the last 3 years she was going to visit me. She finally planned and told me that she would be here this month, towards the beginning of October, so I made some loose plans of things to do and some trips out of Seoul. End of September comes, she should be here in a week and I ask her whats up and... she forgot to tell me she cancelled the whole thing.
"hahah my life is so disorganized" she says to me 5 mins ago lol At least shes coming...
Whenever she does get there I'm sure you'll have a good time! Now if only she can figure out when to organize her life and make it happen, haha.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2085 on: October 26, 2016, 09:42:26 AM »

!@&^%@#!&%@^*!&^#&@# I just had a friend visit recently (and like you, I am not on vacation) but it was really last minute. I didn't even realise she was in Korea until she kakaoed me to say she was coming to my place that day. Um... no, you're not? I already made plans and am not in town. Then she has the audacity to get angry at me for not making time for her. :rolleyes: She came a few days later on the weekday but we could only get dinner and of course she was annoyed that I couldn't hang out more despite the fact that I cancelled plans to be with her that day. Whatever. I'm not her only friend in Korea so she can just deal with it.
My friend is very go with the flow and I met her traveling so we are not super close so I don't feel super obligated to be with her. I told her my only rule  is to not let people come in my place. I half hope she feels like my floor is uncomfortable and will went to get a hotel...  :lipsrsealed:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2086 on: October 26, 2016, 11:01:33 AM »

My friend is very go with the flow and I met her traveling so we are not super close so I don't feel super obligated to be with her. I told her my only rule  is to not let people come in my place. I half hope she feels like my floor is uncomfortable and will went to get a hotel...  :lipsrsealed:

I've known this friend for quite a while but the only reason I don't feel the need to accomodate as much is because we never really contact each other apart from happy birthday wishes and the occasional "hey how are you" type of thing. I appreciate go-with-the-flow people and sometimes envy them for it, but I also think it's rude to expect others to accomodate your ever-changing lifestyle. If this was my family or best friend we were talking about, I would still be annoyed but would definitely go out of my way to change my plans to be with them. Not so for her, as mean as that sounds.

Having said that, I still hope you have a good time with your friend. :)

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #2087 on: October 26, 2016, 11:20:25 AM »
All that weed talk has made me want to spark a doobie and reminisce on my time in University hahahaha!

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2088 on: October 26, 2016, 11:26:17 AM »

I've known this friend for quite a while but the only reason I don't feel the need to accomodate as much is because we never really contact each other apart from happy birthday wishes and the occasional "hey how are you" type of thing. I appreciate go-with-the-flow people and sometimes envy them for it, but I also think it's rude to expect others to accomodate your ever-changing lifestyle. If this was my family or best friend we were talking about, I would still be annoyed but would definitely go out of my way to change my plans to be with them. Not so for her, as mean as that sounds.

Having said that, I still hope you have a good time with your friend. :)
Just received a message from her saying she lost her passport so we are off to a greaaat start today. Hope she finds it...

Offline Aqvm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2089 on: October 26, 2016, 11:34:59 AM »
Apparently the parents of some of my students have been telling their children that they don't need to study in my class because my 'university ranking is low'. That is how my co-teacher explained it to me, at least. These are kids from a rural middle school of less than 50 students, most of whom will not go to university. Also they don't even know what university I went to...

Probably the strangest complaint I've ever heard, but I still feel pretty thoroughly disrespected.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2090 on: October 26, 2016, 11:46:24 AM »
Apparently the parents of some of my students have been telling their children that they don't need to study in my class because my 'university ranking is low'. That is how my co-teacher explained it to me, at least. These are kids from a rural middle school of less than 50 students, most of whom will not go to university. Also they don't even know what university I went to...

Probably the strangest complaint I've ever heard, but I still feel pretty thoroughly disrespected.

I've been noticing this kind of unwarranted/unmerited snobbery a lot these days. It's not anything new, but it's gotten more annoying.

I wonder if they tell their kids to stop using Microsoft items because Bill Gates is a college dropout.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #2091 on: October 26, 2016, 11:48:22 AM »

I love it when I'm asked what uni I went to. No one knows. "Laurentian."

Hmmmmmm, awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, I don no.

It's like if I met a Korean in Canada and they said, Oh I went to JeonbukDae.

hahaha, We can't all go to Harvard and Yale.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2092 on: October 26, 2016, 11:53:56 AM »
All that weed talk has made me want to spark a doobie and reminisce on my time in University hahahaha!

Skin up then Jack!

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2093 on: October 26, 2016, 12:12:08 PM »

Whaaaaat? Thats so rude. So because your uni was low you don't know what you are talking about and therefore are unqualified to teach?

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2094 on: October 26, 2016, 12:16:09 PM »
I wouldn't accept that for a second. An apology should be forthcoming.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2095 on: October 26, 2016, 12:26:51 PM »
omg.... why

so, I don't take the school lunch because it was both unhealthy and unappetizing 90% of the time (a "wow this is so good" day was getting a cold hamburger patty with tonkatsu sauce I'm not even kidding) and this is a source of concern for the new principal. I explained to her that it just has a lot of starch and I'm trying to eat less starchy foods and she was still concerned but didn't push me on it.

So, during lunch I usually take a relaxing nap in the rest room. I don't always actually nap, but it's nice to get away from all the noise and people in the main office. About half an hour I had settled in with my yo and pillow and was about to nap.

WHEN SOMEONE OPENS THE DOOR and unlike usual, doesn't just go "oh, someone's napping here, I'll take my phone call somewhere else" oh no, this person calls out "Moonbrie?"

It's the principal. Now she's concerned that I'm not feeling well, and I begin trying to explain that it's nice to rest after teaching 4 classes, but she puts something in my hands.

A bowl from the cafeteria full of that $hitty-a$$ fruit salad they like to eat. You know, the kind that's mostly apples with some mysterious white sauce on it. I have to eat it while she watches me, and then she disappears for a moment.

She comes back with two bowls of soup (some kind of mix between cream of vegetable and that cream soup they serve at tonkatsu places here) and another teacher, who also doesn't eat the school lunch. The other teacher tries to tell the principal to eat the other bowl of soup, but she isn't having it. So we both sit there and drink the soup until the principal leaves.

I guess I'm not napping today, at any rate.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2096 on: October 26, 2016, 12:28:44 PM »
omg.... why

so, I don't take the school lunch because it was both unhealthy and unappetizing 90% of the time (a "wow this is so good" day was getting a cold hamburger patty with tonkatsu sauce I'm not even kidding) and this is a source of concern for the new principal. I explained to her that it just has a lot of starch and I'm trying to eat less starchy foods and she was still concerned but didn't push me on it.

So, during lunch I usually take a relaxing nap in the rest room. I don't always actually nap, but it's nice to get away from all the noise and people in the main office. About half an hour I had settled in with my yo and pillow and was about to nap.

WHEN SOMEONE OPENS THE DOOR and unlike usual, doesn't just go "oh, someone's napping here, I'll take my phone call somewhere else" oh no, this person calls out "Moonbrie?"

It's the principal. Now she's concerned that I'm not feeling well, and I begin trying to explain that it's nice to rest after teaching 4 classes, but she puts something in my hands.

A bowl from the cafeteria full of that $hitty-a$$ fruit salad they like to eat. You know, the kind that's mostly apples with some mysterious white sauce on it. I have to eat it while she watches me, and then she disappears for a moment.

She comes back with two bowls of soup (some kind of mix between cream of vegetable and that cream soup they serve at tonkatsu places here) and another teacher, who also doesn't eat the school lunch. The other teacher tries to tell the principal to eat the other bowl of soup, but she isn't having it. So we both sit there and drink the soup until the principal leaves.

If you didn't grow up with a helicopter parent, you're certainly getting the experience now!

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2097 on: October 26, 2016, 12:28:56 PM »
omg.... why

That's annoying. I really hate when people give me food I don't want and then watch me eat it. But do you just skip lunch completely or do you usually bring your own?

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #2098 on: October 26, 2016, 12:32:19 PM »

Skin up then Jack!

You got roach?

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2099 on: October 26, 2016, 12:34:54 PM »
I got a train ticket.  Don't use the magnetic bit though, filters all the 'goodness' out.