November 19, 2017, 09:14:00 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 563986 times)

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2000 on: October 24, 2016, 03:32:10 PM »
Wow Martino what ever happened to live and let live.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2001 on: October 24, 2016, 03:35:07 PM »
Have you ever heard the story of the lawyer and the hairdryer?

It goes like this:

There is a woman, she's a very driven, high-achieving lawyer. She also has OCD. One of her compulsions/anxieties is regarding her hair dryer. She is always afraid that she's left her hairdryer on and it's going to catch the house on fire. So every morning, she has to drive back home multiple times to ensure that the hairdryer has been turned off, and at one point, it gets so bad that she's consistently late to work and her job is in danger. She's had all kinds of therapy and tried medications but they haven't helped.

One clinician, one day, suggests she just brings the hairdryer with her in the car so then when she feels the obsessive compulsion to check if she left it on, she can just look beside her, see the hairdryer, and be able to continue on to work. It works.

Many say this was the wrong thing to do. It doesn't actually treat her OCD. But, it made her life better and easier.

If a tattoo will help someone, even if it doesn't cure or treat them, there's no reason to judge it as wrong.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2002 on: October 24, 2016, 03:37:04 PM »
Haha man do I hate people who will rag on others for having low self-esteem. It's like the kids who make fun of their classmates for having a single parent. Yes, let's judge and put down people who are already having a hard time. Makes sense. \_(ツ)_/

The problem with a portion of people with low esteem is that they act out to draw others attention to their problems.

Most of the kids of single parents at my school are annoying little monsters who are desperate for attention. They just can't accept that no one cares about them.

It's not surprising people insult them. Attention whoring is rude.

Or IOW,

No one cares about your special situation.

:undecided: Well then.

While I'm not a fan of attention needy people, I view children with a more sympathetic lens. Someone should care about the kids to lessen the likelihood of them growing up into adulthood with low self esteem.

They're just kids. Of course they want to be cared about. Not every person, much less a child, is automatically stoic.

Of course I am not excusing bad behavior; in fact, some discipline and structure is often what many of those kids are in need of (rather than the coddling some teachers are unfortunately wont to do).

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #2003 on: October 24, 2016, 03:51:51 PM »
Wow Martino what ever happened to live and let live.
This is the ranting/venting thread.

Go ahead and do what you will, just spare me the whine fest about how it affects their job and why people are stereotyping them as having questionable judgment. Also, all the other feel good crap about it is often nonsense too. And yes, people will think what they will, just as if you wore a tinfoil hat.

If a tattoo will help someone, even if it doesn't cure or treat them, there's no reason to judge it as wrong.

Sure there is a small chance that it might help them. There is a much greater chance that it kicks the can down the road and/or exacerbates the problem. It also still means that they are making stuff up in their mind.

Again, spend 2 hours asking yourself why you want/need to get a serious tattoo or piercing instead of spending the 2 hours getting one. Will probably do more for your life and well-being than getting one will.

But hey, WTH do I know? Treat clinical depression or PTSD with tattoos and piercings. Those doctors with analysis of what's going on in our glands are all idiots. The tattoo artists have all the answers. How about some kimchi to treat that HIV or OCD?

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2004 on: October 24, 2016, 04:14:47 PM »
Haha man do I hate people who will rag on others for having low self-esteem. It's like the kids who make fun of their classmates for having a single parent. Yes, let's judge and put down people who are already having a hard time. Makes sense. \_(ツ)_/

The problem with a portion of people with low esteem is that they act out to draw others attention to their problems.

Most of the kids of single parents at my school are annoying little monsters who are desperate for attention. They just can't accept that no one cares about them.

It's not surprising people insult them. Attention whoring is rude.

Or IOW,

No one cares about your special situation.

:undecided: Well then.

While I'm not a fan of attention needy people, I view children with a more sympathetic lens. Someone should care about the kids to lessen the likelihood of them growing up into adulthood with low self esteem.

They're just kids. Of course they want to be cared about. Not every person, much less a child, is automatically stoic.

Of course I am not excusing bad behavior; in fact, some discipline and structure is often what many of those kids are in need of (rather than the coddling some teachers are unfortunately wont to do).

I don't. For every monster child there are at minimum five to six (single parent kids that is) more who are totally normal kids. (I teach in a very poor area.)

I'm not at all surprised by the fact that the kids insult and belittle the annoying little tards.
Hell, I think they deserve it but do my best to stop it because I'm the teacher.

(My favorite CT ever was the one, who after one of them started crying just told him to leave. She did not care. It was awesome. He never did it in her class again.)

This is actually steering away from what I was vaguely trying to get at originally, which is that;

People who gets tats and piercings (in highly visible places) are typically attention whoring. Attention whoring is rude. People are rude or more often ignore those who are rude.

It's no different than the girl screaming about her unbelievably common latte in a coffee shop (my laptop can only go sooo loud.) Or the vegan who let's everyone know their vegan (never personally encountered this one, just a trope). Or the Christian who let's everyone know about how much she loves Jesus. Or the gay guy who needs to let everyone know he's gay.

That is to say, these things (including tats) by themselves are not wrong. But making them publically noticeable is well... rude. Especially when demanding people not judge or treat you differently while acting out in a public way.

Edit: After reading my original post I see I said 'most' of the single parent kids. That was hyperbole. Go with the second post for closer to real numbers.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 04:17:31 PM by Loki88 »

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2005 on: October 24, 2016, 10:35:15 PM »
Had an argument with my CT today. Technically, I was at fault, but I was a bit fed up with her complete hypocrisy.

Last Monday, my Monday school had a field trip. My CT, who's quite ambiguous and vague when explaining things, didn't make it clear whether I was to come along or stay at school. I arrived and announced that I wasn't really keen on going, she didn't make a big deal out of it and wished me a pleasant day before heading off. She said everyone would be returning between 16:30 and 17:00.

At about 10AM, I realised that aside from a few admin staff and the cleaning ladies, I was the only soul in school. I decided I wasn't going to sit in an empty school till 16:30 and drive 45min away to pick my wife up after 5pm, heck my CT ducks out early every now and then and tells me to "keep secret". I left, discreetly.

Today my CT tells me that she's upset that I didn't come along and she's also upset that I left before 16:30. Who the f**k decided to snitch, I'll never know.

(Not exactly verbatim. I used much simpler English in the actual conversation, but for the sake of brevity, I won't write exactly what was said). My wife works at a school, very far from the one I was
at that day.

CT - Why didn't you come on the field trip and why did you leave before 16:30?

Me - You didn't say anything at the time and I'm sorry, but I'm not going to let my wife wait near
        an empty bus stop till after 5pm. She's been harassed by creepy old men before. (Usually, she
       takes the car and picks me up after 5, but I took it today since I was sure I could leave early).

CT - You need to follow the rules, you must leave at 16:30.

Me - Last week, you left early and the month before, you left after lunch to pick up your husband at
       the airport. You asked me not to tell the VP.

CT - That's not the same. You must follow the rules.

(I'm getting irritated)
Me - Well, rules can be stupid.

CT - You should've come on the field trip to the museum, you need to learn about Korean culture.

Me - I learn more about Korean culture by observing day-to-day life and having conversations like
       this than by going to museums, with fake artifacts, where I'm told how great Korea is.

CT - But you broke the rules by leaving early, we must follow the rules.

Me - If you were on a sinking ship and the captain, who just left, told you to stay where you are
       would you stay because it's the rules?

CT - ....

Me - So you see, rules can be stupid. I didn't go on the trip because I had a choice, I'm never
       invited on my other school field trips, they usually let me stay at home. I left early because my
       wife's safety is more important than following a ridiculous and pointless rule.

CT - Korean teachers don't like the rule either, but what if something happened to you?

Me - Then like an adult, I'll accept the responsibility of my actions, I'm not a child. What if 
       something happened to my wife? What if something happened to you when you sneaked out?
       Do the rules only apply to me?

CT - I hope you follow the rules next time.

Like speaking French to a goldfish.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 10:39:37 PM by Aristocrat »

Offline kimchiyum

• Veteran
« Reply #2006 on: October 25, 2016, 01:34:17 AM »
Had an argument with my CT today. Technically, I was at fault, but I was a bit fed up with her complete hypocrisy.

Last Monday, my Monday school had a field trip. My CT, who's quite ambiguous and vague when explaining things, didn't make it clear whether I was to come along or stay at school. I arrived and announced that I wasn't really keen on going, she didn't make a big deal out of it and wished me a pleasant day before heading off. She said everyone would be returning between 16:30 and 17:00.

At about 10AM, I realised that aside from a few admin staff and the cleaning ladies, I was the only soul in school. I decided I wasn't going to sit in an empty school till 16:30 and drive 45min away to pick my wife up after 5pm, heck my CT ducks out early every now and then and tells me to "keep secret". I left, discreetly.

Today my CT tells me that she's upset that I didn't come along and she's also upset that I left before 16:30. Who the f**k decided to snitch, I'll never know.

(Not exactly verbatim. I used much simpler English in the actual conversation, but for the sake of brevity, I won't write exactly what was said). My wife works at a school, very far from the one I was
at that day.

Me - You didn't say anything at the time and I'm sorry, but I'm not going to let my wife wait near
        an empty bus stop till after 5pm. She's been harassed by creepy old men before. (Usually, she
       takes the car and picks me up after 5, but I took it today since I was sure I could leave early).

Me - Last week, you left early and the month before, you left after lunch to pick up your husband at

(I'm getting irritated)

CT - You should've come on the field trip to the museum, you need to learn about Korean culture.

Me - I learn more about Korean culture by observing day-to-day life and having conversations like
       this than by going to museums, with fake artifacts, where I'm told how great Korea is.

Me - If you were on a sinking ship and the captain, who just left, told you to stay where you are

CT - ....

Me - So you see, rules can be stupid. I didn't go on the trip because I had a choice, I'm never
       invited on my other school field trips, they usually let me stay at home. I left early because my

CT - Korean teachers don't like the rule either, but what if something happened to you?

Me - Then like an adult, I'll accept the responsibility of my actions, I'm not a child. What if 
       something happened to my wife? What if something happened to you when you sneaked out?

I have to be honest- you sound very unprofessional and childish here. Your co-teacher was definitely in the right and you were in the wrong.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2007 on: October 25, 2016, 01:41:42 AM »
+1

Best to simply say, "I'm sorry.  It won't happen again."

This is a rant thread, I know, but bringing up the Sewol, like that, really shows a very ugly and nasty side of you.

You took the car, knowing you were going to try to pull this stunt of disappearing early.

You were caught.  Own it.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2008 on: October 25, 2016, 02:04:13 AM »

at that day.

(I'm getting irritated)

CT - ....

I have to be honest- you sound very unprofessional and childish here. Your co-teacher was definitely in the right and you were in the wrong.

No, it sounds like he was within his rights not to go on the field trip, as nobody came forth and said "You have to go because it's in your contract." No, the co-teacher was unprofessional for laying guilt trips on him, simply because she didn't want to go herself and felt it was unfair that a foreigner didn't have to do the things that she has to do.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2009 on: October 25, 2016, 07:17:33 AM »

Hades-esque low blow to bring up Sewol like that. Come on, dude.

Offline strugglebunny

• Veteran
« Reply #2010 on: October 25, 2016, 07:19:13 AM »

This is a rant thread, I know, but bringing up the Sewol, like that, really shows a very ugly and nasty side of you.

No. Everyone here needs to be constantly reminded of it and have their nose rubbed in it until someone learns something from it and acts upon this lesson.

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2011 on: October 25, 2016, 07:36:48 AM »

at that day.

(I'm getting irritated)

CT - ....

No, it sounds like he was within his rights not to go on the field trip, as nobody came forth and said "You have to go because it's in your contract." No, the co-teacher was unprofessional for laying guilt trips on him, simply because she didn't want to go herself and felt it was unfair that a foreigner didn't have to do the things that she has to do.

Kimchiyum, that's ok. Normally, I'd have to agree with you, but I do more favours for this woman than any other CT. Last month, I heavily edited her open class material, most Mondays I do one-on-one conversations with her son, for about 20min during lunch and I help her with her afterschool class for free, despite me already teaching 22hrs a week.

It's becoming quite obvious to me that she never reciprocates favours other than passing on  a few disgusting rice cakes for my help, whenever someone gives them to her.

I've tried, but it's simply impossible for me to think and act so rigidly.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2012 on: October 25, 2016, 07:37:54 AM »
I think Aristocrat is definitely in the right there. 

It's fine to stand up for yourself when you're being treated like a child/a teenager on work experience.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2013 on: October 25, 2016, 07:42:26 AM »

He was within his rights not to go on the trip, but not to leave work before 4:30. His wife could have waited for him somewhere safer than a bus stop, like a cafe or the place that she works. The CT is saying that if he was going to break the rules and leave work early, it would have been better for everyone if he just went on the trip.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #2014 on: October 25, 2016, 07:44:19 AM »
I don't get all the criticisms of bringing up the Sewol to make a point. Bringing up a personal tragedy would be low I agree but as someone else said, lessons can be learned from a public one.

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2015 on: October 25, 2016, 07:53:00 AM »

Hades-esque low blow to bring up Sewol like that. Come on, dude.

After Sewol, people wore their little yellow ribbons and wasted no time in scapegoating the captain to a ridiculous intensity. The captain and the students actions were a symptom of a problem that has never been addressed.
I like to think the hundreds of kids didn't drown for yellow ribbons, but rather is an extremely painful lesson.
Refusing to talk about the underlying issue because it's taboo, is worse than a low blow, in my book and akin to spitting on their graves. I get a bit hot-headed at times, but I wont apologies for bringing that up.

If it was at a dinner table or around a bunch of people, it might be inappropriate, but two adults speaking privately and out of earshot of everyone else is a different story.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:03:40 AM by Aristocrat »

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2016 on: October 25, 2016, 07:55:37 AM »

He was within his rights not to go on the trip, but not to leave work before 4:30. His wife could have waited for him somewhere safer than a bus stop, like a cafe or the place that she works. The CT is saying that if he was going to break the rules and leave work early, it would have been better for everyone if he just went on the trip.

True, but the school she attends is as rural as is gets. The entire school gets locked at 5 and there isn't much in that little myeon besides a school, long road, farmland and a bus stop.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2017 on: October 25, 2016, 07:57:35 AM »
I can sympathize with Aristocrat's situation, especially considereing all the un-official "help" he usually gives his CT, but it sounds like he wanted to have his cake and eat it too.

School trips can be boring, but so is sitting in an empty school. Make your choice and live with it IMO.

I don't get all the criticisms of bringing up the Sewol to make a point. Bringing up a personal tragedy would be low I agree but as someone else said, lessons can be learned from a public one.

I agree, lessons can be learned. But that convo between Aristocrat and his Co-T was not the place for that "learning" to happen. A teacher sitting alone at school is for sure dumb, but not even in the same league as Sewol. Apples and oranges.

If he had wanted to drive home the hypocrisy, he should have focused on all the favors he had done for the co-T. No need to bring up Sewol there.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2018 on: October 25, 2016, 07:59:07 AM »

Right, If A had happened then B would not have happened. 

Long and the short of it.  Aristocrat did something that he thought he could probably get away with, but didn't.  Now realises that 'helping' his co-t by keeping things secret that she did, is not reciprocated.  I now expect Aristocrat to be less forthcoming and understanding with that teacher.   Chalk one up.

Using the Sewol accident was not the way to 'win' an argument.   I am sure Americans love to be reminded about 9/11 as a way to put them in their place. 

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2019 on: October 25, 2016, 08:17:17 AM »

Quote from: Everyone
Aristocrat! You were so wrong! wrong wrong wrong! I need to tell you how wrong you were!

Waygook, where you can acknowledge that you were at fault and everyone will still jump on you telling you that you were at fault  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: