November 19, 2017, 01:36:30 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 563757 times)

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 03:17:42 PM »
All of that history, just gone.... :cry:

Rant: My co has been working on our shopping list for camp literally all day. She's in a tizzy because the website lists the milk we want as out of stock, and I said it might be in stock before we need to order it (in 2.5 weeks) but that's not good enough because she needs to make an "official document" (her favorite two words) of our list. Why does it even matter goodness gracious just calm down.

The thing is, "official documents" are what your CoT has to send to her higher-ups. They're gonna check the price list and all and make sure everything is within the budget and such. My guess is that if the higher-up folks see that an item on your list is out of stock, they're going to assume that it's unavailable at the price y'all wrote down. So she'll have to make another one. Better to go ahead and find a backup plan from the jump.
It's just funny listening to her say "official document" because to her absolutely everything, no matter how trivial, is an "official document." We found a substitute, and hopefully it won't go out of stock so we don't have to deal with this rigamaroll all over again. Though they wouldn't have even known it was out of stock unless she told them, so she could have just sent them our original list but maybe she figured that was dishonest.
 The higher-ups were finally convinced that it would be okay to give me the school card so I could just go buy some cooking supplies myself for the second week, but dang it was like pulling teeth getting there. This whole camp process is blown so out of proportion.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 03:21:30 PM »
All of that history, just gone.... :cry:

Rant: My co has been working on our shopping list for camp literally all day. She's in a tizzy because the website lists the milk we want as out of stock, and I said it might be in stock before we need to order it (in 2.5 weeks) but that's not good enough because she needs to make an "official document" (her favorite two words) of our list. Why does it even matter goodness gracious just calm down.

The thing is, "official documents" are what your CoT has to send to her higher-ups. They're gonna check the price list and all and make sure everything is within the budget and such. My guess is that if the higher-up folks see that an item on your list is out of stock, they're going to assume that it's unavailable at the price y'all wrote down. So she'll have to make another one. Better to go ahead and find a backup plan from the jump.
It's just funny listening to her say "official document" because to her absolutely everything, no matter how trivial, is an "official document." We found a substitute, and hopefully it won't go out of stock so we don't have to deal with this rigamaroll all over again. Though they wouldn't have even known it was out of stock unless she told them, so she could have just sent them our original list but maybe she figured that was dishonest.
 The higher-ups were finally convinced that it would be okay to give me the school card so I could just go buy some cooking supplies myself for the second week, but dang it was like pulling teeth getting there. This whole camp process is blown so out of proportion.
True dat.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 03:23:57 PM »
 :lipsrsealed: CO2 teacer, where will you go on vacation?

:smiley: I'm going to Vietnam. I said that 5 times.

:lipsrsealed: Why are you going?

:undecided: For a vacation.

:lipsrsealed: Oh, I put in the system "Family trip."

:undecided: Uhh, ok. Is that better?

:lipsrsealed: Yes, this is a better reason.

WHY DOES THIS MATTER? Is it because I'm going with my GF? I live with her, she ain't my wife. Yeah, it's true!

STAY OUT OF MY LIFE BUREAUCRACY

Offline Yaya

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 03:25:24 PM »
Something's weird here, I'm not buying the auto delete idea.

CO2 just had a thread locked for asking the mods what gives. Why do that unless the site is going through another user/mod battle? We've had many of these before. Mod locks thread, everyone annoyed at being treated like child, multiple threads (some of them funny and some not) get started about mods, warnings doled out like candy, tedious passive aggressive BS until the weekend rolls around and we all remember we have lives.

The thing is there often was a reason for the initial lock. Many times the mods had warned users about what annoyed them. Does anyone remember what the last post was about?

My personal theory is that a mod got fat fingered and deleted the thread by accident but no one wants to own up to it. A "not in front of the enlisted men" type of deal.

I locked CO2's thread because I answered the question here and wanted to wait until I heard from Arsalan before replying to CO2's question.

If you don't buy the auto delete idea then that's your own thing and that's fine. I try to be open and honest about the moderating that goes on here and as I have said, there is no evidence of it being deleted in the mod log.

As for a mod getting fat fingered...we have the ability to restore any post/thread that was deleted.

Gasian

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 03:29:55 PM »
The other one was DELETED though?  :huh:

I guess so because my post count is now half of what it was

Mine too....

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2016, 03:42:07 PM »
:lipsrsealed: CO2 teacer, where will you go on vacation?

:smiley: I'm going to Vietnam. I said that 5 times.

:lipsrsealed: Why are you going?

:undecided: For a vacation.

:lipsrsealed: Oh, I put in the system "Family trip."

:undecided: Uhh, ok. Is that better?

:lipsrsealed: Yes, this is a better reason.

WHY DOES THIS MATTER? Is it because I'm going with my GF? I live with her, she ain't my wife. Yeah, it's true!

STAY OUT OF MY LIFE BUREAUCRACY

Because if it wasn't a family trip, certain non-family activites are assumed to be happening.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2016, 03:58:34 PM »
Naw, guys, it was an the Ahjumma Smash. Too much awesome for a single thread to handle.

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2016, 04:00:55 PM »
Naw, guys, it was an the Ahjumma Smash. Too much awesome for a single thread to handle.

ahjumma ajumma

There's no h in ajumma.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2016, 04:03:10 PM »

ahjumma ajumma

There's no h in ajumma.

There is when I type it.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2016, 04:03:59 PM »

ahjumma ajumma

There's no h in ajumma.

None of those letters are in 아줌마. You can't tell people how to English-spell a word that's not in English in the first place. Did you know what she was talking about? Then it's spelled fine.

Online Savant

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2016, 04:07:23 PM »

ahjumma ajumma

There's no h in ajumma.

There is when I type it.

And when I say it after one of them elbows past me to get to a bus or subway. "Ahhhh-jumma!!!!"

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2016, 04:13:17 PM »

ahjumma ajumma

There's no h in ajumma.

There is when I type it.

There is a right way to spell something and a wrong way. We have the Revised Romanization and McCune-Reischauer systems of transliterating Korean. There's also the rarely used Yale system. None of them spell 아 as ah. It is simply a. That is the spelling rule. Your personal desire or thought on the matter is entirely irrelevant and exposes the fact you are unaware of the correct spelling forms. Were you to spell night as "nite" would not make it correct, just because "that's how you type it."

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »

ahjumma ajumma

There's no h in ajumma.

None of those letters are in 아줌마. You can't tell people how to English-spell a word that's not in English in the first place. Did you know what she was talking about? Then it's spelled fine.

Whether you're aware of it or not, and you're obviously not, there are systems for transliterating languages into English that rely on certain spelling rules.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2016, 04:40:29 PM »
While I appreciate the installation of new door locks and apparently now an alarm, I am annoyed by all the mosquitoes and such creatures that invade my home while the front door remains open  >:(

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2016, 04:43:40 PM »

ahjumma ajumma

There's no h in ajumma.

There is when I type it.

There is a right way to spell something and a wrong way. We have the Revised Romanization and McCune-Reischauer systems of transliterating Korean. There's also the rarely used Yale system. None of them spell 아 as ah. It is simply a. That is the spelling rule. Your personal desire or thought on the matter is entirely irrelevant and exposes the fact you are unaware of the correct spelling forms. Were you to spell night as "nite" would not make it correct, just because "that's how you type it."

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2016, 05:20:07 PM »
why are you guys spelling odchuuma wrong wtf

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2016, 05:29:07 PM »

ahjumma ajumma

There's no h in ajumma.

Whether you're aware of it or not, and you're obviously not, there are systems for transliterating languages into English that rely on certain spelling rules.

There are systems for romanization. Several of them. There are several of them and none of them is right or wrong. If even you consult the pros they state their system is a system, not the system. Romanization is a method to make the pronunciation of Korean more accessible to English speakers, not the method for "properly" spelling Korean in English.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2016, 05:57:31 PM »
Revised Romanization of Korean (RR, also called South Korean or Ministry of Culture (MC) 2000): This is the most commonly used and widely accepted system of romanization for Korean. It includes rules both for transcription and for transliteration. South Korea now officially uses this system which was approved in 2000. Road signs and textbooks were required to follow these rules as soon as possible, at a cost estimated by the government to be at least US$20 million.

Gasian

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2016, 07:00:08 PM »
So we should probably honour... sorry I mean honor... no wait honour RR (2000) yeah? We can't even agree on how to spell English words in English.  :P *supports Ahjumma smash

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2016, 08:08:11 PM »
There is a standard romanization, but look at all the trouble people outside this culture still have pronouncing Korean words. Not everybody is aware of the standard romanization or Korean phonemes, so I would say that sometimes deviating from the standard is justified. Take the last name 최, for instance. Who in the West would ever see 'Choi' and automatically think, "Oh, 최"? They're going to say 'Choy' or 'Cho-ee'. In that case, why not experiment with 'Chay' or even 'Ché'? Still not perfect, but closer to it than you're going to get with the standard romanization in most cases. With 'ajumma' as well, someone might see it and not realize that the As require a long vowel sound. Look at the the Korean '안's in this country. How do they usually choose to transliterate it? 'An'? No way. You always see 'Ahn' because that signifies to the reader that you need to draw out the 'a' sound. That's a standard deviation (not a 'standard deviation') from the standard. Until the word 'ajumma' is ensconced in Webster's, I think it's fair to transliterate it in any way that most accurately conveys the true pronunciation. I, for one, would love to see the term 'ahjumma smash' added to the OED. ;D

'Waygook smash' as well^^
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 08:27:01 PM by donovan »