September 25, 2017, 05:13:28 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 490116 times)

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1960 on: October 20, 2016, 06:50:27 PM »
To answer seriously:
They use UHT (ultra high temperature? I think) pasteurizing here, which keeps milk good for much much longer than the low temperature pasteurization process.

Thanks. And perhaps it's just a 'best-before' date. But yeah, over a month later seems sketchy.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/truth-about-expiration-dates-can-food-outlast-labels-294450

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1961 on: October 20, 2016, 07:40:34 PM »
My school is worse than that. Every time payday falls on a weekend they pay me on the Monday. Won't take taxes either. Apparently it can't be done. lol. Despite 99.9% of the teachers in Korea paying taxes monthly it "can't be done".
AMS,

As I'm sure you are aware.  That sort of contract violation won't fly!

15 years ago, this issue was beaten to death and public school's were "forced" to comply.

Why your school has yet to get their $hit together is beyond me.

Perhaps, they need a reminder.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1962 on: October 20, 2016, 07:47:28 PM »
So I got my pension letter through today, not that it's of any use.

Anyway, it made me think I haven't actually looked at a payslip yet since I have been here so I asked my co to get me my previous months. As I am looking at it, I can see that I have not been getting tax taken out. I asked her why? As I know I should be paying a small amount each month. She rings the admin office and apparently the 'new' guy has been forgetting to take my taxes out so he was going to take it all in a big chunk in December/January. Cheers mate, thanks for the heads up!! So I asked okay how much will that be roughly? 'Oh he does't know' ... Well thats great. This is a public school by the way. Is this normal? I know the end of year tax settlement is in Feb also so I am basically going to get F**ed!

My school is worse than that. Every time payday falls on a weekend they pay me on the Monday. Won't take taxes either. Apparently it can't be done. lol. Despite 99.9% of the teachers in Korea paying taxes monthly it "can't be done".

So how much do you typically pay at the end if you don't mind me asking?  I'm just trying to get an idea of what I might be hit with lol

A friend of mine had this happen and she ended up paying 1.2 mil if I remember correctly, which makes sense as my tax was usually around 100,000 a month

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1963 on: October 20, 2016, 07:58:26 PM »
I get the 1,200,000-won Tax Day Surprise every year, though at this point I can't say it's all that surprising.

Offline waywardtimelord

• Adventurer
« Reply #1964 on: October 20, 2016, 11:11:34 PM »
I "punished" a student by making him stand next to our whiteboard today. It's literally the only punishment available to me. I'm not allowed to send them out of class, keep them in during break, or generally enforce my rules at all. So this kid, a perpetual troublemaker, was balling up paper and throwing it at other students.

I told him to stop. He said no. Told him to go stand by the board. I guess I should have been suspicious when he actually complied.... anyway, the rest of the class started laughing, so I turned around and he'd written "F*** YOU! in all caps on the board.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #1965 on: October 20, 2016, 11:30:13 PM »
I "punished" a student by making him stand next to our whiteboard today. It's literally the only punishment available to me. I'm not allowed to send them out of class, keep them in during break, or generally enforce my rules at all. So this kid, a perpetual troublemaker, was balling up paper and throwing it at other students.

I told him to stop. He said no. Told him to go stand by the board. I guess I should have been suspicious when he actually complied.... anyway, the rest of the class started laughing, so I turned around and he'd written "F*** YOU! in all caps on the board.

If a principal had duties, this would be one of them.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline waywardtimelord

• Adventurer
« Reply #1966 on: October 20, 2016, 11:37:50 PM »

Yeah. I would agree. This same student threw his chair across the classroom a few months back. His home room teacher called his mom, who then called me to apologize but also to make sure I knew it was my fault her kid threw the chair. See, he was mad at me for taking his electric eraser away until the end of class....

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1967 on: October 21, 2016, 12:09:14 AM »
Grey, you are batting a 1,000.

The "duties" of a principal and a vice principal in Korea are vastly different from their counterparts in the US, so much so that they are really only "counterparts" in name only.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1968 on: October 21, 2016, 12:09:44 AM »

Yeah. I would agree. This same student threw his chair across the classroom a few months back. His home room teacher called his mom, who then called me to apologize but also to make sure I knew it was my fault her kid threw the chair. See, he was mad at me for taking his electric eraser away until the end of class....

ELECTRIC eraser? I must see this contraption

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1969 on: October 21, 2016, 12:23:51 AM »
i hate those electric erasers. so ****** noisy and it takes them forever to erase something.

those electric erasers and mechanical pencils should be ****** banned

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1970 on: October 21, 2016, 03:19:29 AM »
i hate those electric erasers. so ****** noisy and it takes them forever to erase something.

those electric erasers and mechanical pencils should be ****** banned

I don't know about electric erasers. I haven't seen them. But the mechanical pencils should be banned for anybody under the age of 16. Seriously, **** those things. Students are always using it as a way to stop class or to stop studying. They run out of lead because they want to run out of it.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1971 on: October 21, 2016, 09:48:07 AM »
Have you ever gotten a letter addressed to you (either from government/business or personal) and you find it already ripped open on your desk or something at school?  It's the letter that has all the financial details of my pension.

Every time I've got a letter from NPS (pension office) the admins at my school always open it without my knowledge.  Seems a tad unprofessional.

I actually just received an NPS letter today. It was sealed but after I opened it a travel teacher from another school saw me looking at my letter and swiped it from my hands to peruse it (out of curiosity?? he's pretty nosy).  :undecided:

I would have stern words with anyone who opened my personal mail. That's completely unacceptable.

Many companies (not just here) have policies that the receptionist opens all mail unless it is marked "Confidential".  Nothing unusual there.

Personal mail should go to your home.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1972 on: October 21, 2016, 10:31:40 AM »
So I got my pension letter through today, not that it's of any use.

Anyway, it made me think I haven't actually looked at a payslip yet since I have been here so I asked my co to get me my previous months. As I am looking at it, I can see that I have not been getting tax taken out. I asked her why? As I know I should be paying a small amount each month. She rings the admin office and apparently the 'new' guy has been forgetting to take my taxes out so he was going to take it all in a big chunk in December/January. Cheers mate, thanks for the heads up!! So I asked okay how much will that be roughly? 'Oh he does't know' ... Well thats great. This is a public school by the way. Is this normal? I know the end of year tax settlement is in Feb also so I am basically going to get F**ed!

So how much do you typically pay at the end if you don't mind me asking?  I'm just trying to get an idea of what I might be hit with lol

A friend of mine had this happen and she ended up paying 1.2 mil if I remember correctly, which makes sense as my tax was usually around 100,000 a month

It depends on the school.  From experience, the best way is just to pay one time in February.  Last year, my friend paid tax each month, and we were the same pay band.  When it came to February he got hit with a 1.2 million tax bill on top of his already paid monthly.  I didn't pay each month and come February I had to pay 1.2 million.  The strange thing is, as I have admin friends at other schools, I asked them about it.  They said both were correct calculations.  Which to me doesn't make sense.  So when I started this year at a new school, I said I only wanted to pay in February.  The admin said 'all the teachers' do that in this school, as a policy. 

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1973 on: October 21, 2016, 10:59:38 AM »
It

is

so

rude

to hear your name over and over again in conversation and be treated like you aren't sitting two feet away

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1974 on: October 21, 2016, 11:11:36 AM »

Ugh, I had nearly the same sort of problem when I took a students phone and he attacked my desk and kicked in and broke another desk, yet nothing happened to him at all and it wasn't really his fault.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1975 on: October 21, 2016, 12:03:06 PM »
I haven't played much of 1 yet - whenever I fire it up to play, the moment I start I get busy with something and have to turn it off. 4, I have a save near the end, but haven't killed the last boss. I need to grind a bit more, but can't be bothered. :P
7 is my all-time favourite game, but 6 is pretty decent too.

Hah! I was on the moon in 4 and probably at or near the final boss but then my SNES died so I haven't gone back since  :cry: Since then I've gotten the port for PS1 and the remake for 3DS but haven't returned to it yet. I really enjoyed 4 and 6 and 7 are great but I'm reserving judgement for a favorite until I've at least played most FFs through 10.  ^^

Also, strawberry jelly is the best jelly.

Yeah it is! is anyone else craving jelly now? :P
I'm more of a raspberry fan myself, but my bf's friend brought back a passionfruit basil jelly from Vietnam for me and it's strangely good.

Raspberry? RASPBERRY??! :O I can't even take you seriously right now! :O
Just kidding, I like all flavours of jelly (that I've tried anyway). :p
I'd like to try that passionfruit basil one. I'm not too big on basil, but it sounds interesting.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1976 on: October 21, 2016, 12:10:30 PM »

Ugh, I had nearly the same sort of problem when I took a students phone and he attacked my desk and kicked in and broke another desk, yet nothing happened to him at all and it wasn't really his fault.

Finally had my trouble kid switch schools today! He did the same kind of shit and he pissed off another troubled kid while they were on an overnight trip and get his face scratched up pretty good so his mom changed schools. The mum's blaming the school for what happened cuz he's her little angel who would never antagonize someone else into a fight and he's an angel in class...

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1977 on: October 21, 2016, 12:14:44 PM »
I haven't played much of 1 yet - whenever I fire it up to play, the moment I start I get busy with something and have to turn it off. 4, I have a save near the end, but haven't killed the last boss. I need to grind a bit more, but can't be bothered. :P
7 is my all-time favourite game, but 6 is pretty decent too.

Hah! I was on the moon in 4 and probably at or near the final boss but then my SNES died so I haven't gone back since  :cry: Since then I've gotten the port for PS1 and the remake for 3DS but haven't returned to it yet. I really enjoyed 4 and 6 and 7 are great but I'm reserving judgement for a favorite until I've at least played most FFs through 10.  ^^

Also, strawberry jelly is the best jelly.

Yeah it is! is anyone else craving jelly now? :P
I'm more of a raspberry fan myself, but my bf's friend brought back a passionfruit basil jelly from Vietnam for me and it's strangely good.

Raspberry? RASPBERRY??! :O I can't even take you seriously right now! :O
Just kidding, I like all flavours of jelly (that I've tried anyway). :p
I'd like to try that passionfruit basil one. I'm not too big on basil, but it sounds interesting.
Hahaha, it certainly is interesting. I don't know that I would buy it myself, but for a trial its good!

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1978 on: October 21, 2016, 12:15:30 PM »
Eating out is too expensive, and unhealthy, so that's not an option for me.

I don't have the korean ability to eat out. Where I am, the only places with an English menu are: Mcdonalds, Dominoes, Pizza hut, and Lotteria. A few places have pictures, but I'm a very fussy eater, so I need to know what is going into / onto my food. So I cook for myself so I know I'll enjoy it, and know that it will be (reasonably) healthy.
Saturday night I usually have Dominoes, but every other night I cook for myself. A pizza a week is good for the soul. :P

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1979 on: October 21, 2016, 12:20:46 PM »
I find it cheaper, but that's probably because I struggle to eat all the food I buy before it goes bad. Even when I try to only buy a little.

The tyranny of veggies in the fridge! Even when you want to eat out you can't because you gotta get through the tomatoes before they go bad! (never put tomatoes in the fridge, btw)

I bought a bunch of bananas on Tuesday to eat at school since I'm crap at packing lunch and everyone seems to be getting concerned over me not eating lunch.

I already know I'm not going to get through all of them before they turn brown, because while I thought I could eat two bananas per day I've only been eating one

Can you buy those little 3 organic banana packs where you are? I started buying them, but found they were still getting moldy 1 - 2 days after buying them (so was always throwing the 3rd one, and sometimes 2 of the 3, away) - no matter where I kept them as well.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment