September 22, 2017, 01:42:58 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 486198 times)

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1840 on: October 17, 2016, 03:39:29 PM »
Open classes for Korean teachers this week.  CT casually drops in that she's chosen our class as her open class (as opposed to the class she teaches alone).

There's a surprise.  No planning or preparation for her to do but she can reap the rewards of my hard work.

I point out that it's not fair that she's evaluated for work that isn't hers (third year in a row this has happened and I'm getting tired of scoring high points for other people). 

Cue a quick huddle and quiet discussion of teachers, then an explanation to me that open classes aren't important and that no one cares.

I'd quite like to stay another year but I don't know how to stop my head from exploding when stuff like this happens.  Any tips?  :laugh:
I take it as a compliment when they ask to due their open-class with me, as they have other options.

I know this is a rant/vent thread, but a rethink might not be such a bad idea.

We most definitely view this situation differently, as imitation is flattery.

Think about it, if she thought your class was "crap" she wouldn't my jumping on your train.

That's something I never considered; good point!

This sounds like a great way to have your coteacher hate you for the rest of the year.

Another fair point but I'm usually very, very relaxed, pleasant and polite to her and all my CTs.  As I've said before, they get a very easy ride because I do all the work and it would be nice to get a little respect back from them (in the form of being attentive and helping at least a little during my classes).

Sometimes I can't hold my tongue and have to "speak frankly"  :wink:

Online Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1841 on: October 17, 2016, 03:56:11 PM »
Open classes for Korean teachers this week.  CT casually drops in that she's chosen our class as her open class (as opposed to the class she teaches alone).

There's a surprise.  No planning or preparation for her to do but she can reap the rewards of my hard work.

I point out that it's not fair that she's evaluated for work that isn't hers (third year in a row this has happened and I'm getting tired of scoring high points for other people). 

Cue a quick huddle and quiet discussion of teachers, then an explanation to me that open classes aren't important and that no one cares.

I'd quite like to stay another year but I don't know how to stop my head from exploding when stuff like this happens.  Any tips?  :laugh:

They aren't important and no one cares. Simple as that. They're a facade. The score is given no consideration to your teaching ability. It's a you scratch my back I'll scratch yours set up. You or your CT will get 99/100 and they will reciprocate the other teachers.

Haha yea that's probably true!  Although I remember last year one teacher was distraught over the feedback and scores from other teachers.

I just hate the casual nature of passing off my work as theirs.  That "well I don't have to worry about it because The Arm will do it" attitude.  I'd be more forgiving if they actually did something during my lessons other than wonder around in a trance, chatting to students. 

It seems that KETs are the group that benefit the most from NETs being here!

Make a fake lesson plan to bring with you to the lesson, get your co-teacher to lead the lesson (since it is her open class - if she doesn't agree to that, pretend she was going to lead it, and get really confused if she doesn't), and whenever she gets you to do an activity / say some words, pretend it isn't part of the lesson / that you don't know the activity. Have your fake lesson plan, and say this is what you were given.

(Now I'm not saying you *should* do something like this, as it would be pretty unprofessional, but... it would be nice to do something like that if she isn't pleasant / is just mooching off your efforts)

Online Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1842 on: October 17, 2016, 04:01:21 PM »
I know its a little thing, but man does it grind my gears when you make the students do something and they do it so grudgingly, saying 아이씨 and 진짜 the whole time.

I don't know the Korean, but it sounds like my last class of today. They are preparing a presentation for next week. Only 2 students done something, the rest of the time they were just yelling and running around; and where is the co-teacher? Laughing and chatting with them and encouraging the behaviour. >.< When I tried to get them to do something, they would start, and start being Yahoo's again once I move to the next group. >.< - this was grade 2 middle as well. >.<

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1843 on: October 17, 2016, 04:18:48 PM »
I have some students (some in grade 3, some in grade 1) that sometimes get looks on their faces that clearly express "아이씨" or "진짜" but they're at least polite enough not to say it aloud.

The sentiment is still clearly there though. One kid I know gets frustrated because he's the best in the class at English but is in the same class as a kid who can't read along with others who read slowly. Finding the balance is difficult

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #1844 on: October 17, 2016, 04:25:05 PM »

I take it as a compliment when they ask to due their open-class with me, as they have other options.

Think about it, if she thought your class was "crap" she wouldn't my jumping on your train.

This sounds like a great way to have your coteacher hate you for the rest of the year.

Another fair point but I'm usually very, very relaxed, pleasant and polite to her and all my CTs.  As I've said before, they get a very easy ride because I do all the work and it would be nice to get a little respect back from them (in the form of being attentive and helping at least a little during my classes).

I completely understand your frustration... however you have to think of the cost-reward basis to this action. Korean's really don't like confrontation, and by confronting her and telling her she is "lazy," essentially one of the worst traits in confusionism, you have made an enemy and possibly drama in the workplace. Also, you embarrassed her in front of her peers.

I am sure you are a great teacher and created a great open class and your students will appreciate it. Instead, maybe you could politely ask her to help you make a power-point or prop next time?

Anyway, Monday is almost over... :cry:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1845 on: October 17, 2016, 04:29:46 PM »
Can it be Wednesday yet? So I can just be at my middle schools?

Offline sligo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1846 on: October 17, 2016, 04:34:45 PM »

How many sick days do you have?  Maybe that day could be the day you see the doctor about that niggling little problem that you may or may not have....

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1847 on: October 17, 2016, 04:43:30 PM »

How many sick days do you have?  Maybe that day could be the day you see the doctor about that niggling little problem that you may or may not have....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1848 on: October 17, 2016, 04:57:28 PM »

I take it as a compliment when they ask to do their open-class with me, as they have other options.

The teachers at your school are 100% correct, open classes don't count for squat.

Earlier this year, one of my CTs had not only the most catastrophic open classes I've ever seen, but arguably the worst class I'd ever seen. The degree to which she f***ed up was biblical. She'd just returned from 2 months of teacher training in New Zealand and 4 months at a Korean University. The open class was attended by about 20 teachers from different schools in the city, the VP, the principal, as well as 2 officials from the MOE and one from the POE. It was her chance to show what she'd learned. Here's a brief summary of what happened, luckily, I was only observing:

(5th grade class of 8 students)

- The students have conversations while she's talking
- She speaks in broken English
- The students shout "몰라요!" at her
- Everyone is talking and shouting at the same time
- She tries to drill the vocab. and key expression, the students don't want to cooperate, some
  start punching each other, others put their heads down and others are drawing on the desk.
- She lines the students up for a game
- Nobody, including myself understands her instructions for the activity
- The students quickly get bored and start running around the classroom, chasing each other
   and throwing things.
- She spends 15min chasing students around the class, trying to get them to put the plushy
  toys they're hitting eachother with back, and explaining the rules of the game.
- Eventually, she gets through one quick round of the game by playing it for them and telling
  them what to say, word for word. They either mumble the key expressions or mock her by
  trying to mimic her voice, while speaking. 
- She decides to start activity 2. In the middle of explaining the instructions, the bell rings.
- In an effort to redeem herself, she tries to review the key expressions from the students.
  The simply shout 몰라요! 몰라요! to everything she says.

Throughout the ordeal, I was watching the reactions of the audience.
The principal and VP looked furious. The other teachers, POE and MOE were looking anywhere but straight ahead.

After a few nervous moments, cheers and applause!
Apparently, my CT got full marks.

I understand your feelings and I too guard the material I've made. I'll only give lessons to CTs who help me, during lessons. Depending on your personality, simply giving your materials to this CT might save you some trouble, but it would upset and frustrate someone like me, especially if I did it on a regular basis. Ultimately, I'd begin to hate my workplace.
Do whatever you think is best.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1849 on: October 17, 2016, 05:04:17 PM »
open classes don't count for squat.

They're a good excuse for a pat-yourself-on-the-back huishik after weeks of nerve-wracking preparation. :afro:

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1850 on: October 18, 2016, 11:16:59 AM »
Open class today. I get to my classroom a little bit early. Move all the desks. Clean up a little bit. Get all my materials out and ready. Stand at the front of the classroom, looking good and ready for anything. Five minutes go by. Nobody shows up. No students, no teachers, no parents. Fifteen minutes and the homeroom teacher of my open class shows up. The students are practicing for a festival in a couple of weeks or something. Zero people showed up to my open class. Why did I prepare again?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1851 on: October 18, 2016, 11:31:07 AM »
I have some students (some in grade 3, some in grade 1) that sometimes get looks on their faces that clearly express "아이씨" or "진짜" but they're at least polite enough not to say it aloud.

The sentiment is still clearly there though. One kid I know gets frustrated because he's the best in the class at English but is in the same class as a kid who can't read along with others who read slowly. Finding the balance is difficult
Well this was because they didn't bring their notebooks and talked the entire period, completely disregarding the entire lesson.

I know its a little thing, but man does it grind my gears when you make the students do something and they do it so grudgingly, saying 아이씨 and 진짜 the whole time.

I don't know the Korean, but it sounds like my last class of today. They are preparing a presentation for next week. Only 2 students done something, the rest of the time they were just yelling and running around; and where is the co-teacher? Laughing and chatting with them and encouraging the behaviour. >.< When I tried to get them to do something, they would start, and start being Yahoo's again once I move to the next group. >.< - this was grade 2 middle as well. >.<
It basically means "Really, I can't believe they are making me do this." But rudely.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #1852 on: October 18, 2016, 02:53:11 PM »

How many Nobel winners can you name and how many have you read?

A Nobel winner doesn't need to be someone known by everyone. It's probably better if it's someone who isn't well known and deserves more recognition.

A Nobel is usually given to someone who, in addition to pushing boundaries within their given genre, also has some social and cultural impact. Or maybe it's just the latter.

I think it's cool that a musician won the Nobel Prize for Lit. That's a good precedent.

Bob Dylan deserves recognition, but probably someone less well known would have been better. Then the prize would have achieved some material good. More people in America learning about a non-American writer, for example.

I don't think it's that important, really. Awards are subjective and mostly meaningless. No one likes American Beauty anymore. I think the committee did a good thing, but could have done a better thing.

Well that's certainly a balanced view that I could go along with.

I just have more of an issue with the Bob Dylan/Rock fanboys and girls who assume that what is popular and influential in certain elements of society in certain countries=universal appeal and influence.

It's like an American who thinks Babe Ruth and baseball is the biggest thing ever to happen to sports, not realizing that a bunch of the world doesn't give a crap about baseball or Babe Ruth.

Online Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1853 on: October 18, 2016, 04:26:45 PM »

Well this was because they didn't bring their notebooks and talked the entire period, completely disregarding the entire lesson.

It basically means "Really, I can't believe they are making me do this." But rudely.

I'm not sure if my students say that, but they sigh a lot whenever they are asked to do something. Even with games. They usually just want my class to sleep haha.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1854 on: October 18, 2016, 06:25:46 PM »
I was going to make a more funny/in-depth post about this but I don't think I can right now. I'm all wound up.

You know, I ate the bread. It was a gift from the principal yesterday. There were no bugs. I'm a competent adult who can determine whether or not food is good to eat.

Boss coteacher and I were having an argument about something to do with class - basically as usual she thinks I can't do my job right. I try to listen to all her input and follow it but she frequently gives conflicting suggestions or advice, but more often than not she just tells me I'm not doing good enough with no suggestions or advice. I've been adjusting my lessons accordingly throughout the year.

She said that I don't listen to her. I said I do, but it's hard to understand what she wants because she won't tell me clearly. She thinks I'm not listening because I can't understand what she wants. She says, no, she knows that I don't listen to her, you know why?

BECAUSE I ATE THE BREAD THE PRINCIPAL GAVE ME INSTEAD OF THROWING IT AWAY.

I give up.

I think I'll talk to the principal.

At least I have a nice one now.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1855 on: October 18, 2016, 06:34:51 PM »
I was going to make a more funny/in-depth post about this but I don't think I can right now. I'm all wound up.

You know, I ate the bread. It was a gift from the principal yesterday. There were no bugs. I'm a competent adult who can determine whether or not food is good to eat.

Boss coteacher and I were having an argument about something to do with class - basically as usual she thinks I can't do my job right. I try to listen to all her input and follow it but she frequently gives conflicting suggestions or advice, but more often than not she just tells me I'm not doing good enough with no suggestions or advice. I've been adjusting my lessons accordingly throughout the year.

She said that I don't listen to her. I said I do, but it's hard to understand what she wants because she won't tell me clearly. She thinks I'm not listening because I can't understand what she wants. She says, no, she knows that I don't listen to her, you know why?

I give up.

Sorry, moonbrie, but I'm going to have to side with your co-teacher on this one. Why would you eat the bread? You are not a competent adult--you are a foreigner in a foreign country. If you leave bread out overnight, it starts to grow some pretty funky stuff; you just can't see it. Eating them will cause hallucinations and you definitely don't want to have hallucinations in the middle of class. You know what, now that I think about it, maybe that is why your lessons are not good enough--because you've been eating old bread and you have been hallucinating on the job.

Signed, Dr. Yirgacheffe.

P.S. I'm going to prescribe some old kimchi to cleanse your body of old bread. Take it with each meal three times daily for seven days.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1856 on: October 18, 2016, 06:37:38 PM »

I give up.

Sorry, moonbrie, but I'm going to have to side with your co-teacher on this one. Why would you eat the bread? You are not a competent adult--you are a foreigner in a foreign country. If you leave bread out overnight, it starts to grow some pretty funky stuff; you just can't see it. Eating them will cause hallucinations and you definitely don't want to have hallucinations in the middle of class. You know what, now that I think about it, maybe that is why your lessons are not good enough--because you've been eating old bread and you have been hallucinating on the job.

Signed, Dr. Yirgacheffe.

P.S. I'm going to prescribe some old kimchi to cleanse your body of old bread. Take it with each meal three times daily for seven days.

Also, as you know, many breads are sweet. That means they contain sugar.

Sugar is basically poison.

I know foreigners like to eat bread often and cannot eat spicy food, but you should listen to Yirgacheffe and eat some kimchi. It is good for well-being.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #1857 on: October 18, 2016, 06:39:19 PM »

I know foreigners like to eat bread often and cannot eat spicy food, but you should listen to Yirgacheffe and eat some kimchi. It is good for well-being.
You are in Korea, please pronounce it as 웰빙
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1858 on: October 18, 2016, 06:41:11 PM »

You are in Korea, please pronounce it as 웰빙

Yes. Let's be careful.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1859 on: October 18, 2016, 08:43:43 PM »
Dr. You're-a-giraffe. That's all I see  :laugh:

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment