November 19, 2017, 08:24:39 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564610 times)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1840 on: October 20, 2016, 02:33:23 PM »
I find it cheaper, but that's probably because I struggle to eat all the food I buy before it goes bad. Even when I try to only buy a little.

The tyranny of veggies in the fridge! Even when you want to eat out you can't because you gotta get through the tomatoes before they go bad! (never put tomatoes in the fridge, btw)

I bought a bunch of bananas on Tuesday to eat at school since I'm crap at packing lunch and everyone seems to be getting concerned over me not eating lunch.

I already know I'm not going to get through all of them before they turn brown, because while I thought I could eat two bananas per day I've only been eating one

YoungMin

« Reply #1841 on: October 20, 2016, 02:36:05 PM »
I find it cheaper, but that's probably because I struggle to eat all the food I buy before it goes bad. Even when I try to only buy a little.

The tyranny of veggies in the fridge! Even when you want to eat out you can't because you gotta get through the tomatoes before they go bad! (never put tomatoes in the fridge, btw)

I bought some bananas on Saturday, by Sunday night I had a plague of fruit flies resembling Saruman's army from the lord of the rings flying around me house. Never again will I have fruit in the house.

Offline pokute

• Veteran
« Reply #1842 on: October 20, 2016, 02:36:47 PM »
Have you ever gotten a letter addressed to you (either from government/business or personal) and you find it already ripped open on your desk or something at school?  It's the letter that has all the financial details of my pension.

Every time I've got a letter from NPS (pension office) the admins at my school always open it without my knowledge.  Seems a tad unprofessional.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1843 on: October 20, 2016, 02:45:01 PM »
I bought some bananas on Saturday, by Sunday night I had a plague of fruit flies resembling Saruman's army from the lord of the rings flying around me house. Never again will I have fruit in the house.
http://www.wikihow.com/Store-Bananas

http://lifehacks.stackexchange.com/questions/7508/how-to-store-bananas-and-keep-fruit-flies-away

We use this DIY trap.

Fruit flies are no fun.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1844 on: October 20, 2016, 03:03:44 PM »
Have you ever gotten a letter addressed to you (either from government/business or personal) and you find it already ripped open on your desk or something at school?  It's the letter that has all the financial details of my pension.

Every time I've got a letter from NPS (pension office) the admins at my school always open it without my knowledge.  Seems a tad unprofessional.

I actually just received an NPS letter today. It was sealed but after I opened it a travel teacher from another school saw me looking at my letter and swiped it from my hands to peruse it (out of curiosity?? he's pretty nosy).  :undecided:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1845 on: October 20, 2016, 03:05:27 PM »
Eating out is too expensive, and unhealthy, so that's not an option for me.

My motivation to eat healthily isn't as high as it should be ever since I got some blood work done. I was eating like shit at the time and yet all of my nutrient etc levels were really good. In theory eating really healthily might give me more energy or whatever but seeing as it's not that important in terms of my body's actual nutrition I'm just like... meh

I mean, at the very, very cheapest, eating out is going to be minimum 5,000 won per meal, and it's probably going to be loaded with sodium, and low on nutrients, and super high in calories. I can't justify that for myself, despite how convenient it would be.

It's easy to finish all your food before it goes bad if you only buy enough for two or three meals at a time. Like, if you buy four apples, a bag of spinach, a carton of milk, a thing of yogurt, and a few blocks of tofu, there's no way that'll go bad before you can finish it - apples don't spoil quickly, spinach (just for example) could be a salad for dinner, and then a sandwich the next day (open face, to double bread efficiency and halve calories) and then tofu if you need some protein.

Of course, if you want to buy meat, that's okay, but that's going to be less healthy, and more expensive. Meat is sort of a special-occasion food.

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1846 on: October 20, 2016, 03:06:20 PM »

I actually just received an NPS letter today. It was sealed but after I opened it a travel teacher from another school saw me looking at my letter and swiped it from my hands to peruse it (out of curiosity?? he's pretty nosy).  :undecided:

I would have stern words with anyone who opened my personal mail. That's completely unacceptable.

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1847 on: October 20, 2016, 03:06:58 PM »

Why weren't your bananas in the fridge?

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1848 on: October 20, 2016, 03:08:47 PM »

And you can't keep the plastic on them (as if that would keep the buggers out) because they would become over-ripe in a matter of hours. I find keeping my food trash in the freezer until it's ready to be tossed out helps.

Mr. Nut, what is that concoction in the bottom on that contraption? Just some vinegar?

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #1849 on: October 20, 2016, 03:10:32 PM »
So I got my pension letter through today, not that it's of any use.

Anyway, it made me think I haven't actually looked at a payslip yet since I have been here so I asked my co to get me my previous months. As I am looking at it, I can see that I have not been getting tax taken out. I asked her why? As I know I should be paying a small amount each month. She rings the admin office and apparently the 'new' guy has been forgetting to take my taxes out so he was going to take it all in a big chunk in December/January. Cheers mate, thanks for the heads up!! So I asked okay how much will that be roughly? 'Oh he does't know' ... Well thats great. This is a public school by the way. Is this normal? I know the end of year tax settlement is in Feb also so I am basically going to get F**ed!

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1850 on: October 20, 2016, 03:14:42 PM »

Never put bananas in the fridge (for different reasons than tomatoes)!!!!

YoungMin

« Reply #1851 on: October 20, 2016, 03:16:04 PM »

Anyway, it made me think I haven't actually looked at a payslip yet since I have been here so I asked my co to get me my previous months. As I am looking at it, I can see that I have not been getting tax taken out. I asked her why? As I know I should be paying a small amount each month. She rings the admin office and apparently the 'new' guy has been forgetting to take my taxes out so he was going to take it all in a big chunk in December/January. Cheers mate, thanks for the heads up!! So I asked okay how much will that be roughly? 'Oh he does't know' ... Well thats great. This is a public school by the way. Is this normal? I know the end of year tax settlement is in Feb also so I am basically going to get F**ed!

My school is worse than that. Every time payday falls on a weekend they pay me on the Monday. Won't take taxes either. Apparently it can't be done. lol. Despite 99.9% of the teachers in Korea paying taxes monthly it "can't be done".

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1852 on: October 20, 2016, 03:16:38 PM »

Not the thing you want to hear, probably, but my first year, I didn't have taxes taken out (I thought the pension was the tax... oops) and I ended up having to pay 850K. Last year, I had approximately 55K taken out in income and residence tax and only paid 50K. Just save a couple hundred per month starting with your next pay to lessen the blow.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1853 on: October 20, 2016, 03:19:51 PM »

From what I've heard, I think it's all up to your administrator. If your admin. is lazy and/or doesn't know what he's/she's doing, you may get stuck with the large sum at the end. That sucks, man.

YoungMin

« Reply #1854 on: October 20, 2016, 03:20:05 PM »

Never put bananas in the fridge (for different reasons than tomatoes)!!!!

While I'm here. I went to pour some milk into a cup of tea the other day and I checked the date on the carton and it had expired on the 12th of September so I poured it down the sink with my fingers covering my nose in preperation of what horror was about to come out of that carton. Anyhow, it came out like water, not a single lump or sign of curdling. What the **** is milk made from here?

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1855 on: October 20, 2016, 03:23:18 PM »

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #1856 on: October 20, 2016, 03:28:58 PM »

Not the thing you want to hear, probably, but my first year, I didn't have taxes taken out (I thought the pension was the tax... oops) and I ended up having to pay 850K. Last year, I had approximately 55K taken out in income and residence tax and only paid 50K. Just save a couple hundred per month starting with your next pay to lessen the blow.

Yeah, it's so annoying I am going to have to pay it all in one go and wasn't expecting it. I am going home in January also for vacation so its took the shine of a bit knowing im gonna be a bit short of cash. So frustrating that if I hadn't of asked they were just going  to take it.

YoungMin

« Reply #1857 on: October 20, 2016, 03:29:21 PM »

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1858 on: October 20, 2016, 03:32:50 PM »
To answer seriously:
They use UHT (ultra high temperature? I think) pasteurizing here, which keeps milk good for much much longer than the low temperature pasteurization process.

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #1859 on: October 20, 2016, 03:34:05 PM »

My school is worse than that. Every time payday falls on a weekend they pay me on the Monday. Won't take taxes either. Apparently it can't be done. lol. Despite 99.9% of the teachers in Korea paying taxes monthly it "can't be done".

So how much do you typically pay at the end if you don't mind me asking?  I'm just trying to get an idea of what I might be hit with lol