October 20, 2017, 01:19:35 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 523367 times)

YoungMin

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1820 on: October 17, 2016, 12:59:35 PM »
Open classes for Korean teachers this week.  CT casually drops in that she's chosen our class as her open class (as opposed to the class she teaches alone).

There's a surprise.  No planning or preparation for her to do but she can reap the rewards of my hard work.

I point out that it's not fair that she's evaluated for work that isn't hers (third year in a row this has happened and I'm getting tired of scoring high points for other people). 

Cue a quick huddle and quiet discussion of teachers, then an explanation to me that open classes aren't important and that no one cares.

I'd quite like to stay another year but I don't know how to stop my head from exploding when stuff like this happens.  Any tips?  :laugh:

They aren't important and no one cares. Simple as that. They're a facade. The score is given no consideration to your teaching ability. It's a you scratch my back I'll scratch yours set up. You or your CT will get 99/100 and they will reciprocate the other teachers.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #1821 on: October 17, 2016, 01:00:16 PM »
First, let's not overstate Dylan's influence on people of power. Do you think they wouldn't be who they are now if it wasn't for Bob Dylan? Obama also enjoys Jay-Z and Beyonce. Obama listened to more musicians than Bob Dylan. Let's not get carried away here. If Bob Dylan didn't exist, things would still be the same. The 60s was happening with or without him. Counterculture was happening with or without him. If anything Berry Gordy as a producer was more influential in music and changing people's minds. Without him Motown WOULD NOT EXIST as a genre. It's crossover appeal had a far greater impact on race relations and changing people's minds and promoting black musicians. It actually promoted real integration because you'd have truly diverse crowds (ones in which black people and white people were at levels close to 50-50, like sports).

I wouldn't say Justin Bieber or Rihanna is loved by the world, but I would say Michael Jackson was probably the true musical icon of the world. Way more than Bob Dylan. And yes the soundtrack to our lives is different for more people and Bob Dylan has spoken to way less people than you think. You seem to believe that everyone around the world is into Bob Dylan and has had their lives truly affected by him, when in fact that's not the case and his influence is actually close to zilch.

Also, the story of the Civil Rights movement and the stars are not white people. It is the black Americans who suffered and fought for it. Yes, it's great that white people finally decided treat black people like normal human beings, but the focus shouldn't be on that change of mind. It should be on how black people forced that conversation upon them.

Not loved by who?

Probably something like 90% of the population of the world.

but it is where it is today partly because of him

Music would be where it is today with or without Dylan. He didn't contribute anything in terms of redefining music or creating a new sound, unless "guy who can't sing and plays guitar" didn't exist before him. "Great lyrics" would have been there either way (and his lyrics aren't that great, lay off the weed/drink). If Bob Dylan didn't exist, it would be some other person along his lines that would be getting all this love.

Do you guys seriously think black folks all over America are listening to Chapman and Hendrix and Dylan? (I will give you the Stevie). When your local station's 'Battle of the Old School' is happening on Sat. nights, do you think it's Bob Dylan vs. Jimi Hendrix?

Get a clue people, these things you think are universal, aren't as universal as you think they are.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1822 on: October 17, 2016, 01:02:12 PM »
Me: "Expensive!"
Class: "Expensive!"
CoT: "ExpensivUH."
Class: "Expensiv...uh?"
Me: "Expensive."
Class: "Expensive!"
CoT: "ExpensivUH."
Me: "ExpenSIVE."

Me: "Invented!"
CoT: "InventedUH."
Class: "Inventeduh?"
Me: "Invented!"
Class: "Invented!"
CoT: "InventedUH."
Me: "InvenTED."

:blank: :blank: :blank:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #1823 on: October 17, 2016, 01:11:06 PM »
First, let's not overstate Dylan's influence on people of power. Do you think they wouldn't be who they are now if it wasn't for Bob Dylan? Obama also enjoys Jay-Z and Beyonce. Obama listened to more musicians than Bob Dylan. Let's not get carried away here. If Bob Dylan didn't exist, things would still be the same. The 60s was happening with or without him. Counterculture was happening with or without him. Why care about anything? Life goes on with or without you.  If anything Berry Gordy as a producer was more influential in music and changing people's minds. Without him Motown WOULD NOT EXIST as a genre. It's crossover appeal had a far greater impact on race relations and changing people's minds and promoting black musicians. It actually promoted real integration because you'd have truly diverse crowds (ones in which black people and white people were at levels close to 50-50, like sports). People who win Nobel prizes need black fans and white fans.

I wouldn't say Justin Bieber or Rihanna is loved by the world, but I would say Michael Jackson was probably the true musical icon of the world. Way more than Bob Dylan. And yes the soundtrack to our lives is different for more people and Bob Dylan has spoken to way less people than you think. You seem to believe that everyone around the world is into Bob Dylan and has had their lives truly affected by him, when in fact that's not the case and his influence is actually close to zilch. Instead of recognising talent in an individual, we have to make sure that everyone around the world knows them. 

Also, the story of the Civil Rights movement and the stars are not white people. It is the black Americans who suffered and fought for it. Yes, it's great that white people finally decided treat black people like normal human beings, but the focus shouldn't be on that change of mind. It should be on how black people forced that conversation upon them.
Yeah, let's factor this into someone who writes literature, only this. It can't just be a great song or poem IT NEEDS TO ADDRESS AMERICAN RACE RELATIONS OVERTLY.  

Not loved by who?

Probably something like 90% of the population of the world.

but it is where it is today partly because of him

Music would be where it is today with or without Dylan. Therefore, he doesn't deserve an award. Waygook would be where it is right ow without you, too.  He didn't contribute anything in terms of redefining music or creating a new sound, unless "guy who can't sing Therefore, he can't WRITE great prose and plays guitar" didn't exist before him. "Great lyrics" would have been there either way (and his lyrics aren't that great, lay off the weed/drink). If Bob Dylan didn't exist, it would be some other person along his lines that would be getting all this love. And they would be getting a Nobel in his place.

Do you guys seriously think black folks all over America are listening to Chapman and Hendrix and Dylan? Nobel prize winners need to be loved by Black Americans. (I will give you the Stevie). When your local station's 'Battle of the Old School' is happening on Sat. nights, do you think it's Bob Dylan vs. Jimi Hendrix? Yes

Get a clue people, these things you think are universal, aren't as universal as you think they are. Being listened to by Black Americans makes you universal.  :rolleyes:
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1824 on: October 17, 2016, 01:11:18 PM »
I know its a little thing, but man does it grind my gears when you make the students do something and they do it so grudgingly, saying 아이씨 and 진짜 the whole time.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1825 on: October 17, 2016, 01:13:05 PM »
Open classes for Korean teachers this week.  CT casually drops in that she's chosen our class as her open class (as opposed to the class she teaches alone).

There's a surprise.  No planning or preparation for her to do but she can reap the rewards of my hard work.

I point out that it's not fair that she's evaluated for work that isn't hers (third year in a row this has happened and I'm getting tired of scoring high points for other people). 

Cue a quick huddle and quiet discussion of teachers, then an explanation to me that open classes aren't important and that no one cares.

I'd quite like to stay another year but I don't know how to stop my head from exploding when stuff like this happens.  Any tips?  :laugh:

They aren't important and no one cares. Simple as that. They're a facade. The score is given no consideration to your teaching ability. It's a you scratch my back I'll scratch yours set up. You or your CT will get 99/100 and they will reciprocate the other teachers.

Haha yea that's probably true!  Although I remember last year one teacher was distraught over the feedback and scores from other teachers.

I just hate the casual nature of passing off my work as theirs.  That "well I don't have to worry about it because The Arm will do it" attitude.  I'd be more forgiving if they actually did something during my lessons other than wonder around in a trance, chatting to students. 

It seems that KETs are the group that benefit the most from NETs being here!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1826 on: October 17, 2016, 01:13:34 PM »
I know its a little thing, but man does it grind my gears when you make the students do something and they do it so grudgingly, saying 아이씨 and 진짜 the whole time.

What grade(s) are these kids?? That's rude.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1827 on: October 17, 2016, 01:16:24 PM »

Haha yea that's probably true!  Although I remember last year one teacher was distraught over the feedback and scores from other teachers.

I just hate the casual nature of passing off my work as theirs.  That "well I don't have to worry about it because The Arm will do it" attitude.  I'd be more forgiving if they actually did something during my lessons other than wonder around in a trance, chatting to students. 

It seems that KETs are the group that benefit the most from NETs being here!

Lol I remember my first open class. I was mildly stressed about it (even asked my coT what the dress code was) and my coT kept telling me not to worry and that it wasn't a big deal. She was totally right, only one parent dropped in for like a hot second (smiled, said hello, promptly left).

At one of my travel schools, my coT does open classes by herself so I get told I don't have to come in on those days. Which is more of a bummer than anything cause some of my favorite classes are at that school.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1828 on: October 17, 2016, 01:17:16 PM »

What grade(s) are these kids?? That's rude.
These were 3rd grade MS and very much in the wrong, so its not like they should have been surprised.

Offline sligo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1829 on: October 17, 2016, 01:28:39 PM »

tell your CoT that as they are assessing her, you should reverse roles.  She leads and you "assist"

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1830 on: October 17, 2016, 01:34:57 PM »

tell your CoT that as they are assessing her, you should reverse roles.  She leads and you "assist"
Yeah maybe since it's heropen class you could tell her that you will assist her, but she will be the leader and has to plan the class.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1831 on: October 17, 2016, 01:40:56 PM »

Yeah maybe since it's heropen class you could tell her that you will assist her, but she will be the leader and has to plan the class.

Thanks guys; yea I think that's fair so I explained that she should really be making her own material (she literally just told me to send my stuff to her).  It took her a while to understand the point I was making and I don't think she was happy.

Then I think she was sulking/punishing me by being really unhelpful during our class this morning.  Mature way of handling things  :rolleyes:

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1832 on: October 17, 2016, 01:50:11 PM »
I'm not at my main school on Fridays and whoever uses the English room then wrecks the place every week without fail. Last week, they left the door wide open. This week, every desk and chair has been haphazardly pushed up against the wall (after I painstakingly rearranged everything last Thursday) and the lights were left on all weekend. During the summer, the air conditioning was left on all weekend a number of times. I mention this to my co-teacher every week. Nothing changes. If anything ever goes missing or gets broken, I can imagine who's going to get the blame.

I've been left in such a "lurch" before. (couldn't help myself :angel:) The before-school dance program practices in the English room and always moves desks around to make space but then leaves the room 5 minutes before my first students arrive without reordering the desks. Also, the new Korean after-school teacher we have here doesn't seem to have any class management skills/concern as she can't even prevent the 5 students she has in her program from unlocking the closet and pulling out the wheeled chairs (that I put in there for the very purpose of them not messing around with them) to play bumper cars with, or riding the book dolly three-at-a-time around the room. I'm waiting for the day I walk in and see the glass doors shattered all over the floor. I made sure to mention what I saw to a coteacher, not because I expect anything to be done about it, but at least I can be on the record for expressing concern for that behavior.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1833 on: October 17, 2016, 02:01:06 PM »
I'm not at my main school on Fridays and whoever uses the English room then wrecks the place every week without fail. Last week, they left the door wide open. This week, every desk and chair has been haphazardly pushed up against the wall (after I painstakingly rearranged everything last Thursday) and the lights were left on all weekend. During the summer, the air conditioning was left on all weekend a number of times. I mention this to my co-teacher every week. Nothing changes. If anything ever goes missing or gets broken, I can imagine who's going to get the blame.

I've been left in such a "lurch" before. (couldn't help myself :angel:) The before-school dance program practices in the English room and always moves desks around to make space but then leaves the room 5 minutes before my first students arrive without reordering the desks. Also, the new Korean after-school teacher we have here doesn't seem to have any class management skills/concern as she can't even prevent the 5 students she has in her program from unlocking the closet and pulling out the wheeled chairs (that I put in there for the very purpose of them not messing around with them) to play bumper cars with, or riding the book dolly three-at-a-time around the room. I'm waiting for the day I walk in and see the glass doors shattered all over the floor. I made sure to mention what I saw to a coteacher, not because I expect anything to be done about it, but at least I can be on the record for expressing concern for that behavior.

On Lurch's issue, I had the same exact problem at a previous school. It was supposed to be my classroom for my sole use, but someone was coming into the classroom and using it for whatever while I wasn't there and leaving little messes behind. The worst thing was the A/C, though -- whoever it was kept leaving it on, and the school was blaming me for it. I kept getting lectured about it and my coT even got into the habit of showing up in the classroom before I left to remind me to turn off the A/C. No matter how many times I told them that I wasn't the one leaving it on and no matter how many times I complained about the messes getting left in my classroom, they never listened. It wasn't until I left my spare phone in there to record for one day I wasn't at the school that I finally had proof (as an adult, why do I need to provide proof for something like this, especially since they'd find the A/C left on overnight from a previous day that I was not at the school at all?). Turned out to be some students who had learned to rig the lock so that they could get into the classroom during lunch and break periods. Showed my coT, headteacher and VP the video, and they promptly had the knob and lock replaced. Never apologized, but they also never accused me of anything again.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #1834 on: October 17, 2016, 02:12:42 PM »
[/b] Why care about anything? Life goes on with or without you.
Boo to quoting in text.

People who win Nobel prizes need black fans and white fans.

My rant a the beginning was about The Beatles and Dylan in general and people who think they're (and rock music) are the greatest thing since sliced bread and the histrionics that ensue when you don't care for them. Sorry, they just aren't as good as you think they are.

As far as the Nobel Prize in Literature, which is one step away from the Peace Prize in being a sham, I'm not into much modern literature so I wouldn't be qualified, only that based on Dylan's lyrics, I don't see the level of brilliance that would earn him a Nobel. I don't think you need worldwide appeal, as literature can address a persons individual issues rather than global issues, but to say that "The world has been influenced by Bob Dylan and the world loves his music" is ridiculous.

Yeah, let's factor this into someone who writes literature, only this. It can't just be a great song or poem IT NEEDS TO ADDRESS AMERICAN RACE RELATIONS OVERTLY.   
The problem isn't that white people like Bob Dylan more than other people, that's fine. It's when people start to equate their love for Bob Dylan with some sort of universal appeal. It's when they make the story of the Civil Rights movement be about white people changing their mind, in large part thanks to people like Bob Dylan. The Beatles and Bob Dylan are not as universal and global as you think they are.

. Therefore, he doesn't deserve an award. Waygook would be where it is right ow without you, too.

Well usually Nobel prizes should go to something truly innovative and revolutionary. Bob Dylan contributed NOTHING to music. I hope you realize that. He may have contributed to artistry and culture, but musically he contributed NOTHING.

Therefore, he can't WRITE great prose
He's famous for his lyrics, which frankly aren't THAT great. Are they better than average Beach Boys stuff? Sure. Does that raise them to a truly legendary level? Nope.

In 100 years, one or two Bob Dylan songs might remain and no one will give a crap about him.

And they would be getting a Nobel in his place.

Speaks to what a washed out hack job the Nobel Prize has become, not their virtue as pillars of literature.

When your local station's 'Battle of the Old School' is happening on Sat. nights, do you think it's Bob Dylan vs. Jimi Hendrix? Yes

Omg...

Battle of the Old School would be the Temptations vs. The Four Tops. Marvin Gay vs. Smokey Robinson. Cincinnati vs. Motown. The Supremes vs. Martha & the Vandellas. Aretha Franklin vs. Patti Labelle. Maybe Hawkins vs. Winans

There would be no Dylan and Hendrix.

Being listened to by Black Americans makes you universal.

Not being listened to by Black Americans and Africa and being a "meh presence outside of the Anglo world means you are not universal. Anglo does not equal universal. It's not that white or Anglo is bad, just stop calling it universal and thinking everything starts and stops with it.

You don't have to apologize for it or feel bad over it, just have some perspective. I like niche music. EDM is global and it ranks near the bottom with Smooth Jazz for me. I just know when something is truly universal and has worldwide appeal and when its fans perhaps overstate its global popularity ala Kpop. Is Bob Dylan an international star? Yes. Is he the voice of the world when it comes to music? Hell no. As I've said time and time again, I think that has to go to Michael Jackson. I'm not sure who comes after Michael. Probably Bob Marley and then maybe Lennon/McCartney. After that? Maybe Madonna. Then, and I know people will disagree, it's probably Snoop Dogg (simply as the most recognized person in rap, probably the most influential genre in the last 30 years), then maybe Kanye as loathe as I am to say it, then perhaps Dylan. Maybe Cher, Stevie Wonder, and Bono would round out the Top 10, talking popular music of the last 50 years.

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #1835 on: October 17, 2016, 02:54:20 PM »

This sounds like a great way to have your coteacher hate you for the rest of the year.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1836 on: October 17, 2016, 02:59:40 PM »
Boo to quoting in text.

My rant a the beginning was about The Beatles and Dylan in general and people who think they're (and rock music) are the greatest thing since sliced bread and the histrionics that ensue when you don't care for them. Sorry, they just aren't as good as you think they are.

As far as the Nobel Prize in Literature, which is one step away from the Peace Prize in being a sham, I'm not into much modern literature so I wouldn't be qualified, only that based on Dylan's lyrics, I don't see the level of brilliance that would earn him a Nobel. I don't think you need worldwide appeal, as literature can address a persons individual issues rather than global issues, but to say that "The world has been influenced by Bob Dylan and the world loves his music" is ridiculous.

The problem isn't that white people like Bob Dylan more than other people, that's fine. It's when people start to equate their love for Bob Dylan with some sort of universal appeal. It's when they make the story of the Civil Rights movement be about white people changing their mind, in large part thanks to people like Bob Dylan. The Beatles and Bob Dylan are not as universal and global as you think they are.

. Therefore, he doesn't deserve an award. Waygook would be where it is right ow without you, too.

Well usually Nobel prizes should go to something truly innovative and revolutionary. Bob Dylan contributed NOTHING to music. I hope you realize that. He may have contributed to artistry and culture, but musically he contributed NOTHING.

He's famous for his lyrics, which frankly aren't THAT great. Are they better than average Beach Boys stuff? Sure. Does that raise them to a truly legendary level? Nope.

In 100 years, one or two Bob Dylan songs might remain and no one will give a crap about him.

Speaks to what a washed out hack job the Nobel Prize has become, not their virtue as pillars of literature.

When your local station's 'Battle of the Old School' is happening on Sat. nights, do you think it's Bob Dylan vs. Jimi Hendrix? Yes

Omg...

Battle of the Old School would be the Temptations vs. The Four Tops. Marvin Gay vs. Smokey Robinson. Cincinnati vs. Motown. The Supremes vs. Martha & the Vandellas. Aretha Franklin vs. Patti Labelle. Maybe Hawkins vs. Winans

Not being listened to by Black Americans and Africa and being a "meh presence outside of the Anglo world means you are not universal. Anglo does not equal universal. It's not that white or Anglo is bad, just stop calling it universal and thinking everything starts and stops with it.

You don't have to apologize for it or feel bad over it, just have some perspective. I like niche music. EDM is global and it ranks near the bottom with Smooth Jazz for me. I just know when something is truly universal and has worldwide appeal and when its fans perhaps overstate its global popularity ala Kpop. Is Bob Dylan an international star? Yes. Is he the voice of the world when it comes to music? Hell no. As I've said time and time again, I think that has to go to Michael Jackson. I'm not sure who comes after Michael. Probably Bob Marley and then maybe Lennon/McCartney. After that? Maybe Madonna. Then, and I know people will disagree, it's probably Snoop Dogg (simply as the most recognized person in rap, probably the most influential genre in the last 30 years), then maybe Kanye as loathe as I am to say it, then perhaps Dylan. Maybe Cher, Stevie Wonder, and Bono would round out the Top 10, talking popular music of the last 50 years.

Yikes.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1837 on: October 17, 2016, 03:07:58 PM »

I take it as a compliment when they ask to do their open-class with me, as they have other options.

I know this is a rant/vent thread, but a rethink might not be such a bad idea.

We most definitely view this situation differently, as imitation is flattery.

Think about it, if she thought your class was "crap" she wouldn't my jumping on your train.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 03:59:43 PM by Pecan »

Offline atemporaryaccount

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1838 on: October 17, 2016, 03:13:30 PM »
Boo to quoting in text.

Omg...

Yikes.

How many Nobel winners can you name and how many have you read?

A Nobel winner doesn't need to be someone known by everyone. It's probably better if it's someone who isn't well known and deserves more recognition.

A Nobel is usually given to someone who, in addition to pushing boundaries within their given genre, also has some social and cultural impact. Or maybe it's just the latter.

I think it's cool that a musician won the Nobel Prize for Lit. That's a good precedent.

Bob Dylan deserves recognition, but probably someone less well known would have been better. Then the prize would have achieved some material good. More people in America learning about a non-American writer, for example.

I don't think it's that important, really. Awards are subjective and mostly meaningless. No one likes American Beauty anymore. I think the committee did a good thing, but could have done a better thing.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1839 on: October 17, 2016, 03:15:24 PM »
I'm reminded of why I don't bother speaking any Korean at elem. school. My middle schools? Totally fine, everyone is chill and supportive. Elem? My coT gets annoying about it either (WOW you know how to say this simple WORD?? Wow! You know this is [insert same food we've had multiple times over the course of this year and that I've already told you multiple times before that I had growing up as my mother cooked both Korean and American food]??!) or she/other teachers get overly involved saying that what I said was incorrect or a phrase that doesn't exist at all and that no, it can't be a regional difference because x region and y region are the same. (Which they're not...)

Even though I know what I said is an existing phrase. It's one thing to say I didn't use it correctly, it's another to say it doesn't exist entirely.  :undecided: I also said the exact same thing at my middle school literally the other day and my coworker understood perfectly.

Then as the non-English teacher tries to teach me a new phrase, my coT starts going "oh, I think it's too hard." The same coddling attitude she has for the students in class.  :rolleyes: >:(

Can I just work full time at my middle schools?  :cry:

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment