September 22, 2017, 01:41:02 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 486192 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1800 on: October 15, 2016, 08:09:25 PM »
Drank with a score of Frenchmen last night. I feel like Psy and Snoop the morning after.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1801 on: October 15, 2016, 08:18:51 PM »
Drank with a score of Frenchmen last night. I feel like Psy and Snoop the morning after.

It's 6 in the evening, bruh~

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1802 on: October 15, 2016, 08:25:44 PM »

Ha! Hope you're ready for round two tonight.

I've linked that track here before so I won't again but damn that vid always makes me smile, and crave some ramyun if I'm still feeling the effects of the previous night.  ;D

Too bad it won't win snoop any awards though  :cry:

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #1803 on: October 15, 2016, 10:40:27 PM »

I woke up at 4 and immediately sought sundaeguk. hahaha

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1804 on: October 16, 2016, 12:09:57 AM »

I woke up at 4 and immediately sought sundaeguk. hahaha

Is sundaeguk a good hangover meal? I always thought 뼈해장국 to be the cure.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #1805 on: October 16, 2016, 10:04:42 AM »
Yes, the whole thing must be rigged.

Or...Bob Dylan is an amazing lyricist whose writing has benefitted humanity more than the writing of Snoop Dogg.

Hmmm, I wonder which it is.

The standard for the Nobel Prize in Literature is "benefited humanity more than Snoop Dogg". Right.

As far as benefiting humanity, what percentage is that? Billions of people around the world havd never listened or cared about Bob Dylan. Are their lives more empty or meaningless because they haven't appreciated his alleged brilliance?

Get over Bob Dylan. He's not as big a deal as you think. And Snoop Dogg is not the right comparison. How about Chuck D. and Public Enemy? I think they better represent the global trend and character than Bob Dylan.

Get over yourselves guitar people.

Bob Dylan is probably the most influential musician of the modern era.  he has had a 50+ year career, and is still putting out music.  his last album reached no.7 in the US chart, and no.5 in the UK. 

Who doesn't listen to his music, is less important, than those who do.  Gordon Ramsey has 3 michelin stars, and is considerred a culinary genius, and most people respect the accolades despite having nnever, or will never sample his food. 

Dylan had his finger on the pulse throughout the 1960's, not just documenting, buut influencing the attitudes of the times, "The times they are a changing"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Times_They_Are_a-Changin%27_(album)

says it all about the social attituudes of the time.

He also managed to portray people at their best, he writes women as people, regardless of how he feels about them

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bobdylan/justlikeawoman.html

No bitches or ho's in Dylan's songs.

As for influence:  remember this from love actually:

Dylan created it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subterranean_Homesick_Blues

As for literature, his writing has at times been nothing short of magnificent:

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

The oly question regarding Dylan's prize, is why did it take so long?
Overrated clap clap clapclapclap.

And a big meh to those lyrics. They're not as brilliant as you think they are.

Who doesn't listen to his music is less important than those who do=people of the world and minorities are less important than Europeans and North Americans of European descent.

If you're going to give a Nobel to a musician for what they "contribute to the world", it really should be a musician loved by ALL the world.

Lastly, Bob Dylan did not represent or capture the spirit of the 60s. He captured the spirit of the 60s for white people. For black people in the 60s, the people who you know were going through everything white people were going through AND dealing with Jim Crow, their soundtrack is a lot different than yours. Yes, he was a voice for Civil Rights and helped change white people's minds, but white people changing their minds is not the center of the Civil Rights story. The center is black people protesting and asserting themselves. And while Dylan the man was appreciated, his music was not loved.

Music does not start and stop with rock and Bob Dylan.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 10:15:22 AM by Mr.DeMartino »

Offline sligo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1806 on: October 16, 2016, 01:31:12 PM »
Yes, the whole thing must be rigged.

Or...Bob Dylan is an amazing lyricist whose writing has benefitted humanity more than the writing of Snoop Dogg.

Hmmm, I wonder which it is.

The standard for the Nobel Prize in Literature is "benefited humanity more than Snoop Dogg". Right.

As far as benefiting humanity, what percentage is that? Billions of people around the world havd never listened or cared about Bob Dylan. Are their lives more empty or meaningless because they haven't appreciated his alleged brilliance?

Get over Bob Dylan. He's not as big a deal as you think. And Snoop Dogg is not the right comparison. How about Chuck D. and Public Enemy? I think they better represent the global trend and character than Bob Dylan.

Get over yourselves guitar people.

Bob Dylan is probably the most influential musician of the modern era.  he has had a 50+ year career, and is still putting out music.  his last album reached no.7 in the US chart, and no.5 in the UK. 

Who doesn't listen to his music, is less important, than those who do.  Gordon Ramsey has 3 michelin stars, and is considerred a culinary genius, and most people respect the accolades despite having nnever, or will never sample his food. 

Dylan had his finger on the pulse throughout the 1960's, not just documenting, buut influencing the attitudes of the times, "The times they are a changing"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Times_They_Are_a-Changin%27_(album)

says it all about the social attituudes of the time.

He also managed to portray people at their best, he writes women as people, regardless of how he feels about them

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bobdylan/justlikeawoman.html

No bitches or ho's in Dylan's songs.

As for influence:  remember this from love actually:

Dylan created it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subterranean_Homesick_Blues

As for literature, his writing has at times been nothing short of magnificent:

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

The oly question regarding Dylan's prize, is why did it take so long?
Overrated clap clap clapclapclap.

And a big meh to those lyrics. They're not as brilliant as you think they are.

Who doesn't listen to his music is less important than those who do=people of the world and minorities are less important than Europeans and North Americans of European descent.

WOW!  You  inferred that?  Many European and north American people don't like Dylan, that doesn't matter, the point was, his songs have influence people of power of all antionalities.

If you're going to give a Nobel to a musician for what they "contribute to the world", it really should be a musician loved by ALL the world.

In a world of manufactured pop, the only acts that are "loved by ALL the world" are plastic images the media wants the world to embrace, shall we give an award to Justin Bieber, or Rhianna?

I'll just leave this here:
http://app.yonhapnews.co.kr/YNA/Basic/ForeignGallery/view.aspx?lang=EN&contents_id=PYH20161014151100341

Lastly, Bob Dylan did not represent or capture the spirit of the 60s. He captured the spirit of the 60s for white people.

As these "white people" had the power, this is where the change could happen.  These are the ears that needed to listen in oorder to affect change.  Speaking to those without power may stir up revolt, but it is those wioth the power who affect the changes.

For black people in the 60s, the people who you know were going through everything white people were going through AND dealing with Jim Crow, their soundtrack is a lot different than yours.

Barring the fact that i wasn't born until much later, this is the first thing you have said that makes the slightest bit of sense.  No 2 people in any walk of life can have the same experiences or takes on events they share.  Everyone has a different soundtrack to their lives, just some songs sing louder and to more people.

Yes, he was a voice for Civil Rights and helped change white people's minds, but white people changing their minds is not the center of the Civil Rights story.

Maybe not, but as i said before, as the white people have the power, and the power to make the changes that are wanted, surely the "changing of the guards" is right at the centre of the Civil Rights' story, this is the whole point of it, to make white people change their minds

The center is black people protesting and asserting themselves. And while Dylan the man was appreciated, his music was not loved.

Not loved by who?

Music does not start and stop with rock and Bob Dylan.

I couldn't agree more, but it is where it is today partly because of him

Is it that hard to accept that a man who has been (successfully) writing songs for over 50 years has been given an award recognising his talents?

Idiot wind blowing every time your move your mouth
Blowing down the backroads heading south
Idiot wind blowing every time you move your teeth
You're an idiot babe
It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 02:15:04 PM by sligo »

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1807 on: October 16, 2016, 09:02:49 PM »
He captured the spirit of the 60s for white people.

Not just white people.

https://www.izlesene.com/video/bob-dylan-blowin-in-the-wind-newport-folk-festival-1963/7733850

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OUJ_ODGlCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLV4_xaYynY

"I remember in college listening to Bob Dylan and my world opening up because he captured something about this country that was so vital." -Barack Obama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IscZ4Q0Rz9A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgLD4FXesew

"There is not a bigger giant in the history of American music." -Barack Obama

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1808 on: October 16, 2016, 09:30:47 PM »
If you pick a random Nobel Laureate of Literature you will find they don't live up to the standards set out by Steelrails.
Wole Soyinka, a Nigerian and the first African to win the prize is barely known outside of specific academic circles. I read him at university and his work while brilliant, is almost entirely Afro-centric (and why wouldn't it be, he's African). You would struggle to fill a bus with his readers in the whole of East Asia.
Do we strike him from the list? His work doesn't speak to billions upon billions of people. No, because if that were the criteria JK Rowling would be the only one to win the thing and even she would struggle.
There is definitely a valid argument that the prize is dominated by certain cultural backgrounds. But De Martino is just being a douche. He's too busy pretending to listen to Reggaeton, to construct coherent ideas.
DeMartino, enlighten us with your shortlist of possible laureates.

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #1809 on: October 16, 2016, 09:38:14 PM »
Is it that hard to accept that a man who has been (successfully) writing songs for over 50 years has been given an award recognising his talents?

Idiot wind blowing every time your move your mouth
Blowing down the backroads heading south
Idiot wind blowing every time you move your teeth
You're an idiot babe
It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe
+1 for Idiot Wind. Made me laugh quite a bit.

DeMartino, you sound like a kid who didn't get candy. "Did you know there are also black people?" Yeah, no shit. When Denzel Washington won his Oscar, I didn't say, "Hey, did you know there are Asian actors too? Why are no Kyrgyzstan actors nominated?" 

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1810 on: October 16, 2016, 09:56:18 PM »
"Congratulations to one of my favorite poets, Bob Dylan, on a well-deserved Nobel." -Barack Obama

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1811 on: October 16, 2016, 10:59:04 PM »

Offline sligo

• Super Waygook
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 01:13:49 AM by sligo »

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1813 on: October 17, 2016, 03:27:23 AM »
Where is Syd Barrett's Nobel prize?

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1814 on: October 17, 2016, 08:56:05 AM »
Won't happen. Only living people can be nominated. And to win a nobel prize for literature, one must be an extremely good lyricist. Prominent writers should be saying, "best of all time". No one's saying that about Snoop.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1815 on: October 17, 2016, 10:46:05 AM »
Dylan winning the Nobel for literature is dumb. This is coming from someone who's paid money to go to a Dylan concert, owns multiple Dylan LPs and really enjoys his music.

Why's it dumb? Because he is not a brilliant poet or lyricist. A very good one, yes, but certainly not what should be considered world-class literature.

Among all the authors and poets who are currently creating contemporary, dynamic-changing literature, there are countless better candidates to receive an award like this in 2016.

That's my statement on the Nobel biz.

Second, everyone who says disparaging things about popular current artists such as Snoop, Rihanna, or Bieber, and the whole "Baw pop music is just manufactured for the sheep of today bawwwww it's not even real they don't even write their own songs or sing without autotune bawwww", get over yourselves. Just because because something is popular doesn't mean it's without artistic merit, or that it's not entertaining and good.

In a competition who is more deserving of a Nobel for Literature, Justin Bieber, or Bobby Dylan, obviously Dylan would be the more deserving of the prize, because yes, his work is more literary. But when you're talking about which artist is more deserving of getting play on the radio or on the personal listening devices of the masses, they're both equally deserving.

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #1816 on: October 17, 2016, 10:50:22 AM »
Dylan winning the Nobel for literature is dumb. This is coming from someone who's paid money to go to a Dylan concert, owns multiple Dylan LPs and really enjoys his music.

Why's it dumb? Because he is not a brilliant poet or lyricist. A very good one, yes, but certainly not what should be considered world-class literature.

Among all the authors and poets who are currently creating contemporary, dynamic-changing literature, there are countless better candidates to receive an award like this in 2016.

Second, everyone who says disparaging things about popular current artists such as Snoop, Rihanna, or Bieber, and the whole "Baw pop music is just manufactured for the sheep of today bawwwww it's not even real they don't even write their own songs or sing without autotune bawwww", get over yourselves. Just because because something is popular doesn't mean it's without artistic merit, or that it's not entertaining and good.

In a competition who is more deserving of a Nobel for Literature, Justin Bieber, or Bobby Dylan, obviously Dylan would be the more deserving of the prize, because yes, his work is more literary. But when you're talking about which artist is more deserving of getting play on the radio or on the personal listening devices of the masses, they're both equally deserving.
Which is what the Nobel Prize for Literature is NOT. hahahaha Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift deserve every People's Choice Award and Billboard Award they get.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1817 on: October 17, 2016, 10:54:58 AM »

Which is what the Nobel Prize for Literature is NOT. hahahaha Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift deserve every People's Choice Award and Billboard Award they get.

Amen. But yeah. I still think it's kind of silly that Bob Dylan was awarded it over some of the poets and authors that are currently writing and creating Nobel-worthy lit.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1818 on: October 17, 2016, 11:04:34 AM »
I'm not at my main school on Fridays and whoever uses the English room then wrecks the place every week without fail. Last week, they left the door wide open. This week, every desk and chair has been haphazardly pushed up against the wall (after I painstakingly rearranged everything last Thursday) and the lights were left on all weekend. During the summer, the air conditioning was left on all weekend a number of times. I mention this to my co-teacher every week. Nothing changes. If anything ever goes missing or gets broken, I can imagine who's going to get the blame.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1819 on: October 17, 2016, 12:37:04 PM »
Open classes for Korean teachers this week.  CT casually drops in that she's chosen our class as her open class (as opposed to the class she teaches alone).

There's a surprise.  No planning or preparation for her to do but she can reap the rewards of my hard work.

I point out that it's not fair that she's evaluated for work that isn't hers (third year in a row this has happened and I'm getting tired of scoring high points for other people). 

Cue a quick huddle and quiet discussion of teachers, then an explanation to me that open classes aren't important and that no one cares.

I'd quite like to stay another year but I don't know how to stop my head from exploding when stuff like this happens.  Any tips?  :laugh:

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment