October 20, 2017, 01:24:41 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 523386 times)

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1780 on: October 14, 2016, 06:25:16 PM »
If someone tells you Korean is the most scientific language and you're a fool for not being fluent, explain the grammar is tough, as it hearing and replicating the many sounds of the language.

I proceed to lecture them on the meaning of scientific. Then they never talk to me again.

Win, win really.

How and when is that stock phrase engrained in Korean's minds. I'v heard it many times.

"It's a scientific language"

ok great...but like...how exactly?

This is a misquote/misconception. It's not Korean they are talking about, it's Hangul.

Side rant to my rant a few pages previous about acoustic guitars and rock and such- People who freak out that you don't think The Beatles and Bob Dylan are the greatest thing ever. I can't stand either one of them (with a few exceptions for songs). . I have plenty of rock bands I like, but man people freak out if you say you don't like either one of them.

I guess it's like how I freak out when people say they didn't care for Deadwood or Better Call Saul. :sad:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1781 on: October 14, 2016, 06:26:43 PM »
Maybe it's because I'm at an intermediate level of Korean, I don'tget many people saying "you should study more."

I get this every once in a while even though I am fluent. Obviously, I don't know all of the hanja words and I can't always follow political discussions but that's true of English as well. :laugh: Actually, that's kind of sad. :sad: Back to the point, I scored a level 6 on the TOPIK so a lot of Korean people assume that I've mastered all of Korean vocabulary and get disappointed when I come across a word I don't know. :rolleyes:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1782 on: October 14, 2016, 06:28:23 PM »
All this talk of Korean reminds me... that I ought to study.

I've not done so in a very long while. FOR SHAME  :cry:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1783 on: October 14, 2016, 06:31:03 PM »
If someone tells you Korean is the most scientific language and you're a fool for not being fluent, explain the grammar is tough, as it hearing and replicating the many sounds of the language.

I proceed to lecture them on the meaning of scientific. Then they never talk to me again.

Win, win really.

How and when is that stock phrase engrained in Korean's minds. I'v heard it many times.

This is a misquote/misconception. It's not Korean they are talking about, it's Hangul.

Side rant to my rant a few pages previous about acoustic guitars and rock and such- People who freak out that you don't think The Beatles and Bob Dylan are the greatest thing ever. I can't stand either one of them (with a few exceptions for songs). . I have plenty of rock bands I like, but man people freak out if you say you don't like either one of them.

I guess it's like how I freak out when people say they didn't care for Deadwood or Better Call Saul. :sad:

OMG STOP LIKING THINGS THAT I DON'T LIKE OMG.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1784 on: October 14, 2016, 06:34:21 PM »
Maybe it's because I'm at an intermediate level of Korean, I don'tget many people saying "you should study more."

I get this every once in a while even though I am fluent. Obviously, I don't know all of the hanja words and I can't always follow political discussions but that's true of English as well. :laugh: Actually, that's kind of sad. :sad: Back to the point, I scored a level 6 on the TOPIK so a lot of Korean people assume that I've mastered all of Korean vocabulary and get disappointed when I come across a word I don't know. :rolleyes:

Lol. This happens to everyone. My girlfriend is born and raised Korean and also distressingly intelligent. And yet even she was at a loss for a word in Korean. She didn't know what 'cardboard' was called. I showed her a cardboard box and was like, "What is this stuff called?" And she was like, "I don't know. We don't even have a word for that."

Also, I DO totally get the 'study more.' My Korean is passable for conversation and getting stuff done online, reading forms, whatever. But like, I've been in Korea for six years and never studied. If I'd ever actually taken the time and initiative to study regularly, I'd probably be close to fluent now.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1785 on: October 14, 2016, 06:45:35 PM »

Lol. This happens to everyone. My girlfriend is born and raised Korean and also distressingly intelligent. And yet even she was at a loss for a word in Korean. She didn't know what 'cardboard' was called. I showed her a cardboard box and was like, "What is this stuff called?" And she was like, "I don't know. We don't even have a word for that."

Also, I DO totally get the 'study more.' My Korean is passable for conversation and getting stuff done online, reading forms, whatever. But like, I've been in Korea for six years and never studied. If I'd ever actually taken the time and initiative to study regularly, I'd probably be close to fluent now.

My point is that it's obvious that I can't know every word in the Korean lexicon--not even Koreans born and raised in Korea can do that--but if I come across a word that I don't know but the other person does know it, they can just explain to me what it means instead of being condescending and implying that I can't really speak Korean that well.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1786 on: October 14, 2016, 11:03:51 PM »

Win, win really.

Point still stands. Hangul is also not scientific. Highly consistent and logical yes, scientific no.

I do you get you on the Bob Dylan thing. There's a teachers guitar club at my school that is obsessed with him. They ask me the meaning of his songs and I'm just at a loss. I'm pretty sure his music is from before my parents time....

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1787 on: October 14, 2016, 11:28:02 PM »
He just won the Nobel Prize.

Which is the most prestigious award anywhere.

Roughly a million dollars.

He's the first musician in history to get it.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1788 on: October 15, 2016, 01:13:40 AM »

Get ready for more musicians to win it.  I suspect the Beatles are next, maybe the Doors. And in the future you can look forward to Snoop Dog winning the prize. The Nobel committee needs writers man. That being said, why didn't they look into the past for other influential writers of literature?

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1789 on: October 15, 2016, 01:21:37 AM »

Get ready for more musicians to win it.  I suspect the Beatles are next, maybe the Doors. And in the future you can look forward to Snoop Dog winning the prize. The Nobel committee needs writers man. That being said, why didn't they look into the past for other influential writers of literature?

Not sure if I agree with B.D.'s nod but as far as musicians go it's not a bad choice.

What's wrong with Snoop, some of his shit is classic? What's the criteria/cutoff for admission to this jam?

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1790 on: October 15, 2016, 01:31:14 AM »
Alfred Nobel left his fortune to finance annual prizes to be awarded "to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind."

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1791 on: October 15, 2016, 01:33:39 AM »

Not sure if I agree with B.D.'s nod but as far as musicians go it's not a bad choice.

What's wrong with Snoop, some of his shit is classic? What's the criteria/cutoff for admission to this jam?

Well, I admit that Snoop is pretty deserving of the award. That's why I used his name in juxtaposition with the others.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1792 on: October 15, 2016, 01:39:48 AM »
Alfred Nobel left his fortune to finance annual prizes to be awarded "to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind."

Nobel was a moron. If he wasn't, then he would clearly be able to see that mankind has different ideas about 'benefit'. I'm sure those arguments existed in his day as well.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1793 on: October 15, 2016, 01:54:46 AM »
Nomination forms are sent by the Nobel Committee to about 3,000 individuals. These individuals are generally prominent academics working in a relevant area.

I have a feeling you won't be among the 3,000 receiving a nomination form. Just a wild guess. But what do those guys (and gals) know anyways? Snoop should get the Nobel Prize. After all, he's the most eloquent living writer out there right now.  :rolleyes:

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1794 on: October 15, 2016, 02:34:07 AM »
Nomination forms are sent by the Nobel Committee to about 3,000 individuals. These individuals are generally prominent academics working in a relevant area.

I have a feeling you won't be among the 3,000 receiving a nomination form. Just a wild guess. But what do those guys (and gals) know anyways? Snoop should get the Nobel Prize. After all, he's the most eloquent living writer out there right now.  :rolleyes:

Then why did they pick a musician? Can't they find somebody in their own field? The truth is, they couldn't find any writer to win the award. Are you telling me that a majority of 3,000 experts in the field of literature decided Bob Dylan is the one to get this award? I smell fish and it's not because I live in Korea.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1795 on: October 15, 2016, 08:33:00 AM »
Yes, the whole thing must be rigged.

Or...Bob Dylan is an amazing lyricist whose writing has benefitted humanity more than the writing of Snoop Dogg.

Hmmm, I wonder which it is.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1796 on: October 15, 2016, 09:24:12 AM »

Look here bitch
You fine and I dig your style
Come fuck with a nigga
Do it doggystyle
I'll be gentle, sentimental
Shit, we fucked in a rental
Lincoln Continental
Coast to coast
L.A. to Chicago
I get this pussy everywhere that I go
(Yeah nigga you know what's happening man)
Ask the bitches in your hood cause they know
(These bitches know what time it is)
I get this pussy everywhere that I go

Give this man a Nobel Prize. :blank: I can't think of anyone more deserving. 

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #1797 on: October 15, 2016, 11:38:33 AM »

Or...Bob Dylan is an amazing lyricist whose writing has benefitted humanity more than the writing of Snoop Dogg.

The standard for the Nobel Prize in Literature is "benefited humanity more than Snoop Dogg". Right.

As far as benefiting humanity, what percentage is that? Billions of people around the world havd never listened or cared about Bob Dylan. Are their lives more empty or meaningless because they haven't appreciated his alleged brilliance?

Get over Bob Dylan. He's not as big a deal as you think. And Snoop Dogg is not the right comparison. How about Chuck D. and Public Enemy? I think they better represent the global trend and character than Bob Dylan.

Get over yourselves guitar people.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 11:49:51 AM by Mr.DeMartino »

Offline sligo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1798 on: October 15, 2016, 02:43:28 PM »

The standard for the Nobel Prize in Literature is "benefited humanity more than Snoop Dogg". Right.

As far as benefiting humanity, what percentage is that? Billions of people around the world havd never listened or cared about Bob Dylan. Are their lives more empty or meaningless because they haven't appreciated his alleged brilliance?

Get over Bob Dylan. He's not as big a deal as you think. And Snoop Dogg is not the right comparison. How about Chuck D. and Public Enemy? I think they better represent the global trend and character than Bob Dylan.

Get over yourselves guitar people.

Bob Dylan is probably the most influential musician of the modern era.  he has had a 50+ year career, and is still putting out music.  his last album reached no.7 in the US chart, and no.5 in the UK. 

Who doesn't listen to his music, is less important, than those who do.  Gordon Ramsey has 3 michelin stars, and is considerred a culinary genius, and most people respect the accolades despite having nnever, or will never sample his food. 

Dylan had his finger on the pulse throughout the 1960's, not just documenting, buut influencing the attitudes of the times, "The times they are a changing"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Times_They_Are_a-Changin%27_(album)

says it all about the social attituudes of the time.

He also managed to portray people at their best, he writes women as people, regardless of how he feels about them

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bobdylan/justlikeawoman.html

No bitches or ho's in Dylan's songs.

As for influence:  remember this from love actually:

Dylan created it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subterranean_Homesick_Blues

As for literature, his writing has at times been nothing short of magnificent:

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

The oly question regarding Dylan's prize, is why did it take so long?

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1799 on: October 15, 2016, 08:01:39 PM »
It's almost like art appreciation is a completely subjective experience  :shocked:

I was being mildly facetious with the Snoop example, I enjoy some of his tracks but by no means think his contribution to "literature" outweigh Bobby D's.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment