December 12, 2017, 06:44:32 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 595665 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1760 on: October 18, 2016, 05:43:43 PM »
Dr. You're-a-giraffe. That's all I see  :laugh:

Offline lazerbullet

• Veteran
  • Welcome to ghost time
« Reply #1761 on: October 19, 2016, 08:47:37 AM »
I hate high school sometimes ...

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1762 on: October 19, 2016, 08:59:22 AM »
I don't understand why it's so difficult for my co to explain how to play Apples to Apples to the kids. It's a simple game, I've explained it to her,and  our office practiced it together so she knows how to play, but somehow the kids (5th graders who were quietly listening to her directions) didn't understand how to play at all. Are they just that bad at understanding directions in Korean, or is she missing something? I'm going to have to figure out how we can explain it better. Maybe quiz the kids on how to play after we explain it or something.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1763 on: October 19, 2016, 09:07:12 AM »
Is there a demonstration included in these directions or is it purely just spoken instructions? Visuals and examples can help immensely. Play a few rounds with a group to show, rather than tell, how to play.

Also, I dunno what version of Apples to Apples you are using, but perhaps the language is too difficult for your students?

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1764 on: October 19, 2016, 09:18:15 AM »
What the actual **** is going on today.  We have a different schedule, but the bell is ringing at random not in accordance to the new schedule.  People are running around.  My ct told me today and tomorrow's first grades were switched but when I showed up for class both she and the students had basically evaporated so I just came back to my desk.  There's supposedly a national earthquake drill, but we have random exams at that time.  Idek.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1765 on: October 19, 2016, 09:33:17 AM »
Is there a demonstration included in these directions or is it purely just spoken instructions? Visuals and examples can help immensely. Play a few rounds with a group to show, rather than tell, how to play.

Also, I dunno what version of Apples to Apples you are using, but perhaps the language is too difficult for your students?

Here ya go.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1766 on: October 19, 2016, 09:34:05 AM »
Oops, meant to quote the above person.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1767 on: October 19, 2016, 09:48:54 AM »

Here ya go.
Yes I demonstrate everything. I do play a round with the kids sitting at the front to show the rest of the class but somehow we're still missing something. I do have a ppt to help explain but I'm going to rework it. That ppt you posted won't quite work because the version of AtoA I'm using is an ESL version and doesn't use the official cards. The words are at their level (and there are corresponding pictures on every word card) and once they understand how to play they have a blast, it's just getting there that's the trouble. I've been going around to each group and playing a round with them which seems to help but I'd like to help them understand in the beginning.

I imagine we'll get there eventually, it'll just take a bit more trial and error to figure out what they need. (And if my co would stop standing there like a deer in the headlights when they ask her a question that would be great too. :P)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:34:44 AM by chelseajk »

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1768 on: October 19, 2016, 09:59:40 AM »
I have so much work to do.

But all I want to do is sleep.

And I want to buy fairy or string-globe lights and it looks like I'll have to order them online, and that pisses me off for some reason. Why can't I ever find what I'm looking for in a local store? I hate waiting for the mail. I want instant gratification, damn it.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1769 on: October 19, 2016, 11:05:31 AM »
Why can't I ever find what I'm looking for in a local store?

This is an endless source of ire. The worst are computer stores. They'll build PCs for customers and put the bloody empty boxes on their shelves so it looks like they've got all kinds of stock. A few months ago, I wanted a new video card. I went to at least six different places in town, and not one of them had an actual video card lying around. Plenty of boxes on the shelves though. They can order you one at a mark up. How they stay in business is a complete mystery to me.

Offline HabsFanInKorea

• Veteran
« Reply #1770 on: October 19, 2016, 11:24:33 AM »
Why can't I ever find what I'm looking for in a local store?

This is an endless source of ire. The worst are computer stores. They'll build PCs for customers and put the bloody empty boxes on their shelves so it looks like they've got all kinds of stock. A few months ago, I wanted a new video card. I went to at least six different places in town, and not one of them had an actual video card lying around. Plenty of boxes on the shelves though. They can order you one at a mark up. How they stay in business is a complete mystery to me.

They probably get lots of orders online....  That being said, I really don't understand why they even bother to have a brick and mortar store when the vast majority of their sales come from online.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1771 on: October 19, 2016, 11:39:59 AM »
I swear the creeper at work purposely brushes by me at lunch when going back for seconds.  >:( And I sit as close to the table as I possibly can. Like I know there isn't a lot of aisle room but teachers bigger than him manage to pass through the aisle without touching me at all. 

Knowing his attitude, it wouldn't surprise me if this was some pathetic passive aggressive form of retaliation for not wanting to be "friends."

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1772 on: October 19, 2016, 11:48:24 AM »
I had a meeting with the principal last night because I was just so upset by boss cot's treatment of me. She was very nice and understanding. She suggested having a meeting with the three of us, but that would definitely end up making me cry, so our temporary solution (unless boss cot starts shit again) is that I will only communicate with her on cool messenger. No more going to her desk and asking her feelings or opinions. Cool messenger only. The hope is that in typing out her ideas/opinions she might have to communicate more clearly.

The principal also expressed great concern about why I'm so tired, told me I should pray to God for strength, and gave me a basin to soak my feet in warm water to help me sleep at night.

Bout to type up my message to boss cot and then get the hell out of here because the cold that was biding its time has finally come out in full force and I can barely stand without stumbling whoo

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1773 on: October 19, 2016, 11:53:04 AM »
The principal also expressed great concern about why I'm so tired, told me I should pray to God for strength, and gave me a basin to soak my feet in warm water to help me sleep at night.

My gosh. Your principal is a saint. Did she send you home with a tupperware container of homemade kimchi as well?~

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1774 on: October 19, 2016, 11:59:24 AM »

My gosh. Your principal is a saint. Did she send you home with a tupperware container of homemade kimchi as well?~

Haha, that would have been lovely, but she didn't. This morning she called me down and gave me some tea, a boiled egg, a red bean bun, and a piece of sweet potato though.

Honestly I would probably have been out of here if it weren't for her fluttering in like a fairy godmother lol.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1775 on: October 19, 2016, 12:28:20 PM »
I've been here for nearly three years and have Googled it so many times I've lost count, but...

I still don't understand Apples to Apples  :sad:

Come to think of it, that Mafia game too!   8)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1776 on: October 19, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
Mafia/werewolf is a great party game but I never remember the specifics offhand because I haven't played it since high school. I think it'd be great for camp though, so I'd better review the rules hahah

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1777 on: October 19, 2016, 01:07:19 PM »
I've been here for nearly three years and have Googled it so many times I've lost count, but...

a round of Apples to Apples is basically like a multiple choice question, but where each team gets to anonymously submit a possible answer to the choosing team, but the "right" answer isn't objective; It's just the answer the choosing team liked the most, and the team that submitted that answer gets the point for that round. The choosing team is then rotated from round to round. Dunno if that explanation was any better than the internet.

Mafia:
Look, the internet. I think I made a powerpoint on the rules once that  I could try to dredge it up for you~
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 01:12:08 PM by donovan »

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1778 on: October 19, 2016, 01:23:51 PM »
40 seconds before the bell rings for my final class of the day:

"Kayos-teacher, what have you prepared for today's lesson, all the students except 3 in this class, are away on a sports trip."
I was prepared for them to do their project presentation, with a small game for when we finished early. I also have lessons planned for the next 2 weeks, but it won't work with 3 people. I don't have anything planned for only 3 students, and can't prepare anything for this class because the bell has just rung.
"Oh... Is it okay for them to just watch a movie then after they do the presentation?"
I just said, as long as you are okay with it, I have no problem with it.

*get to the classroom and 2 of the 3 students are my super low level students that don't even know the alphabet*
I wanted to just watch the movie and move the presentation to next week when the students would be back. Instead, the co-teacher gets the 1 student to do all 3 presentations, and then we watch about 30~ minutes of a movie.

I feel like a sports thing would have been planned, and they have my phone number and email address. If given a heads up, I could have planned something.
I feel like a bad (internet gaming slang for someone who isn't very good at a game) for not being prepared for when only 3 students out of the class will be there.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1779 on: October 19, 2016, 01:30:33 PM »

a round of Apples to Apples is basically like a multiple choice question, but where each team gets to anonymously submit a possible answer to the choosing team, but the "right" answer isn't objective; It's just the answer the choosing team liked the most, and the team that submitted that answer gets the point for that round. The choosing team is then rotated from round to round. Dunno if that explanation was any better than the internet.

Mafia:
Look, the internet. I think I made a powerpoint on the rules once that  I could try to dredge it up for you~

I suppose I understand the games but it's more trying to get my head around how they would work here and how the nuances of the games could be explained to the students.

Maybe oglop and eggieguffer can chime in and tell us how they would set up, explain and play them without a CT or any Korean translation, using only mimes and gestures  :wink: