December 11, 2017, 11:52:27 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 594296 times)

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1700 on: October 14, 2016, 11:34:07 PM »
Nomination forms are sent by the Nobel Committee to about 3,000 individuals. These individuals are generally prominent academics working in a relevant area.

I have a feeling you won't be among the 3,000 receiving a nomination form. Just a wild guess. But what do those guys (and gals) know anyways? Snoop should get the Nobel Prize. After all, he's the most eloquent living writer out there right now.  :rolleyes:

Then why did they pick a musician? Can't they find somebody in their own field? The truth is, they couldn't find any writer to win the award. Are you telling me that a majority of 3,000 experts in the field of literature decided Bob Dylan is the one to get this award? I smell fish and it's not because I live in Korea.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1701 on: October 15, 2016, 05:33:00 AM »
Yes, the whole thing must be rigged.

Or...Bob Dylan is an amazing lyricist whose writing has benefitted humanity more than the writing of Snoop Dogg.

Hmmm, I wonder which it is.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1702 on: October 15, 2016, 06:24:12 AM »

Look here bitch
You fine and I dig your style
Come fuck with a nigga
Do it doggystyle
I'll be gentle, sentimental
Shit, we fucked in a rental
Lincoln Continental
Coast to coast
L.A. to Chicago
I get this pussy everywhere that I go
(Yeah nigga you know what's happening man)
Ask the bitches in your hood cause they know
(These bitches know what time it is)
I get this pussy everywhere that I go

Give this man a Nobel Prize. :blank: I can't think of anyone more deserving. 

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #1703 on: October 15, 2016, 08:38:33 AM »

Or...Bob Dylan is an amazing lyricist whose writing has benefitted humanity more than the writing of Snoop Dogg.

The standard for the Nobel Prize in Literature is "benefited humanity more than Snoop Dogg". Right.

As far as benefiting humanity, what percentage is that? Billions of people around the world havd never listened or cared about Bob Dylan. Are their lives more empty or meaningless because they haven't appreciated his alleged brilliance?

Get over Bob Dylan. He's not as big a deal as you think. And Snoop Dogg is not the right comparison. How about Chuck D. and Public Enemy? I think they better represent the global trend and character than Bob Dylan.

Get over yourselves guitar people.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 08:49:51 AM by Mr.DeMartino »

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1704 on: October 15, 2016, 11:43:28 AM »

The standard for the Nobel Prize in Literature is "benefited humanity more than Snoop Dogg". Right.

As far as benefiting humanity, what percentage is that? Billions of people around the world havd never listened or cared about Bob Dylan. Are their lives more empty or meaningless because they haven't appreciated his alleged brilliance?

Get over Bob Dylan. He's not as big a deal as you think. And Snoop Dogg is not the right comparison. How about Chuck D. and Public Enemy? I think they better represent the global trend and character than Bob Dylan.

Bob Dylan is probably the most influential musician of the modern era.  he has had a 50+ year career, and is still putting out music.  his last album reached no.7 in the US chart, and no.5 in the UK. 

Who doesn't listen to his music, is less important, than those who do.  Gordon Ramsey has 3 michelin stars, and is considerred a culinary genius, and most people respect the accolades despite having nnever, or will never sample his food. 

Dylan had his finger on the pulse throughout the 1960's, not just documenting, buut influencing the attitudes of the times, "The times they are a changing"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Times_They_Are_a-Changin%27_(album)

says it all about the social attituudes of the time.

He also managed to portray people at their best, he writes women as people, regardless of how he feels about them

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bobdylan/justlikeawoman.html

No bitches or ho's in Dylan's songs.

As for influence:  remember this from love actually:

Dylan created it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subterranean_Homesick_Blues

As for literature, his writing has at times been nothing short of magnificent:

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

The oly question regarding Dylan's prize, is why did it take so long?

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #1705 on: October 15, 2016, 05:01:39 PM »
It's almost like art appreciation is a completely subjective experience  :shocked:

I was being mildly facetious with the Snoop example, I enjoy some of his tracks but by no means think his contribution to "literature" outweigh Bobby D's.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #1706 on: October 15, 2016, 05:09:25 PM »
Drank with a score of Frenchmen last night. I feel like Psy and Snoop the morning after.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1707 on: October 15, 2016, 05:18:51 PM »
Drank with a score of Frenchmen last night. I feel like Psy and Snoop the morning after.

It's 6 in the evening, bruh~

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #1708 on: October 15, 2016, 05:25:44 PM »

Ha! Hope you're ready for round two tonight.

I've linked that track here before so I won't again but damn that vid always makes me smile, and crave some ramyun if I'm still feeling the effects of the previous night.  ;D

Too bad it won't win snoop any awards though  :cry:

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #1709 on: October 15, 2016, 07:40:27 PM »

I woke up at 4 and immediately sought sundaeguk. hahaha

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1710 on: October 15, 2016, 09:09:57 PM »

I woke up at 4 and immediately sought sundaeguk. hahaha

Is sundaeguk a good hangover meal? I always thought 뼈해장국 to be the cure.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #1711 on: October 16, 2016, 07:04:42 AM »

Bob Dylan is probably the most influential musician of the modern era.  he has had a 50+ year career, and is still putting out music.  his last album reached no.7 in the US chart, and no.5 in the UK. 

Who doesn't listen to his music, is less important, than those who do.  Gordon Ramsey has 3 michelin stars, and is considerred a culinary genius, and most people respect the accolades despite having nnever, or will never sample his food. 

Dylan had his finger on the pulse throughout the 1960's, not just documenting, buut influencing the attitudes of the times, "The times they are a changing"

He also managed to portray people at their best, he writes women as people, regardless of how he feels about them

Dylan created it:

Overrated clap clap clapclapclap.

And a big meh to those lyrics. They're not as brilliant as you think they are.

Who doesn't listen to his music is less important than those who do=people of the world and minorities are less important than Europeans and North Americans of European descent.

If you're going to give a Nobel to a musician for what they "contribute to the world", it really should be a musician loved by ALL the world.

Lastly, Bob Dylan did not represent or capture the spirit of the 60s. He captured the spirit of the 60s for white people. For black people in the 60s, the people who you know were going through everything white people were going through AND dealing with Jim Crow, their soundtrack is a lot different than yours. Yes, he was a voice for Civil Rights and helped change white people's minds, but white people changing their minds is not the center of the Civil Rights story. The center is black people protesting and asserting themselves. And while Dylan the man was appreciated, his music was not loved.

Music does not start and stop with rock and Bob Dylan.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 07:15:22 AM by Mr.DeMartino »

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1712 on: October 16, 2016, 10:31:12 AM »

Dylan created it:

Overrated clap clap clapclapclap.

And a big meh to those lyrics. They're not as brilliant as you think they are.

Who doesn't listen to his music is less important than those who do=people of the world and minorities are less important than Europeans and North Americans of European descent.

WOW!  You  inferred that?  Many European and north American people don't like Dylan, that doesn't matter, the point was, his songs have influence people of power of all antionalities.

If you're going to give a Nobel to a musician for what they "contribute to the world", it really should be a musician loved by ALL the world.

In a world of manufactured pop, the only acts that are "loved by ALL the world" are plastic images the media wants the world to embrace, shall we give an award to Justin Bieber, or Rhianna?

I'll just leave this here:
http://app.yonhapnews.co.kr/YNA/Basic/ForeignGallery/view.aspx?lang=EN&contents_id=PYH20161014151100341

Lastly, Bob Dylan did not represent or capture the spirit of the 60s. He captured the spirit of the 60s for white people.

As these "white people" had the power, this is where the change could happen.  These are the ears that needed to listen in oorder to affect change.  Speaking to those without power may stir up revolt, but it is those wioth the power who affect the changes.

For black people in the 60s, the people who you know were going through everything white people were going through AND dealing with Jim Crow, their soundtrack is a lot different than yours.

Barring the fact that i wasn't born until much later, this is the first thing you have said that makes the slightest bit of sense.  No 2 people in any walk of life can have the same experiences or takes on events they share.  Everyone has a different soundtrack to their lives, just some songs sing louder and to more people.

Yes, he was a voice for Civil Rights and helped change white people's minds, but white people changing their minds is not the center of the Civil Rights story.

Maybe not, but as i said before, as the white people have the power, and the power to make the changes that are wanted, surely the "changing of the guards" is right at the centre of the Civil Rights' story, this is the whole point of it, to make white people change their minds

The center is black people protesting and asserting themselves. And while Dylan the man was appreciated, his music was not loved.

Not loved by who?

Music does not start and stop with rock and Bob Dylan.

I couldn't agree more, but it is where it is today partly because of him

Is it that hard to accept that a man who has been (successfully) writing songs for over 50 years has been given an award recognising his talents?

Idiot wind blowing every time your move your mouth
Blowing down the backroads heading south
Idiot wind blowing every time you move your teeth
You're an idiot babe
It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 11:15:04 AM by sligo »

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1713 on: October 16, 2016, 06:02:49 PM »
He captured the spirit of the 60s for white people.

Not just white people.

https://www.izlesene.com/video/bob-dylan-blowin-in-the-wind-newport-folk-festival-1963/7733850

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OUJ_ODGlCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLV4_xaYynY

"I remember in college listening to Bob Dylan and my world opening up because he captured something about this country that was so vital." -Barack Obama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IscZ4Q0Rz9A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgLD4FXesew

"There is not a bigger giant in the history of American music." -Barack Obama

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1714 on: October 16, 2016, 06:30:47 PM »
If you pick a random Nobel Laureate of Literature you will find they don't live up to the standards set out by Steelrails.
Wole Soyinka, a Nigerian and the first African to win the prize is barely known outside of specific academic circles. I read him at university and his work while brilliant, is almost entirely Afro-centric (and why wouldn't it be, he's African). You would struggle to fill a bus with his readers in the whole of East Asia.
Do we strike him from the list? His work doesn't speak to billions upon billions of people. No, because if that were the criteria JK Rowling would be the only one to win the thing and even she would struggle.
There is definitely a valid argument that the prize is dominated by certain cultural backgrounds. But De Martino is just being a douche. He's too busy pretending to listen to Reggaeton, to construct coherent ideas.
DeMartino, enlighten us with your shortlist of possible laureates.

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #1715 on: October 16, 2016, 06:38:14 PM »
Is it that hard to accept that a man who has been (successfully) writing songs for over 50 years has been given an award recognising his talents?

Idiot wind blowing every time your move your mouth
Blowing down the backroads heading south
Idiot wind blowing every time you move your teeth
You're an idiot babe
It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe
+1 for Idiot Wind. Made me laugh quite a bit.

DeMartino, you sound like a kid who didn't get candy. "Did you know there are also black people?" Yeah, no shit. When Denzel Washington won his Oscar, I didn't say, "Hey, did you know there are Asian actors too? Why are no Kyrgyzstan actors nominated?" 

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1716 on: October 16, 2016, 06:56:18 PM »
"Congratulations to one of my favorite poets, Bob Dylan, on a well-deserved Nobel." -Barack Obama

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1717 on: October 16, 2016, 07:59:04 PM »

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 10:13:49 PM by sligo »

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1719 on: October 17, 2016, 12:27:23 AM »
Where is Syd Barrett's Nobel prize?