October 19, 2017, 03:35:30 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 521481 times)

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1660 on: October 13, 2016, 04:52:22 PM »

...but these guys hover around me, try to "sneak" peeks down my shirt or at my crotch (I had to drape a towel across my lap because of this), a few try to chat me up and it's pretty damn clear that they're bothering me but they never take the hint, and it's all just super weird and annoying. The owner notices but doesn't say anything.

I am livid just reading this. And of course I'm sure you're the wanton foreigner-whore who is reveling in their attention. Fuuuuuuck these men.

Call it the JYP effect. I feel like he just comes off as old and creepy here. The song itself sounds dated. He's definitely lost his mojo.

Aaaand another recent music video that condones harassment at the gym -- and some victim blaming to boot!  But hey, it's all in good fun!! :laugh: (about 1:20 in)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1661 on: October 13, 2016, 04:53:09 PM »

Obligatory #basedcowboyshirt post:

Candy is basically poison. Don't eat it. It's bad. All candy. Poison. Gross.

It's so bad but it tastes so good!  :cry: (not candy corn. Certain candies in general)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1662 on: October 13, 2016, 04:54:19 PM »
People who compulsively look at their phone to the point of not being able to carry a conversation drive me nuts, but I also can't wrap my head around people who are like, "I don't even need a phone at all, because I like to live in the present and look at birds and smell people and stuff like that. I use an antique flip phone and even that's more tech horsepower than I need, because I'm not a slave to a pocket rectangle."

There's absolutely zero denying that having access to such a staggering amount of information as what's on the internet is a vast improvement over not having that. Before I got a smartphone, I had to rely on a physical book to translate things when I first came to Korea. I had to carry physical maps of the subway lines. I had to carry a separate camera if I wanted to take a decent picture. If I didn't have things like that with me, I had to waste tons of time looking for stuff, figuring out how to go somewhere, etc etc.

With a phone, you can just find the answer and then spend your time doing something you actually enjoy.

Like, imagine you had to meet a friend for dinner. They told you where they are, but you're not sure how to get there. What's better? 1) Wander around trying to find them for an hour, or 2) Just go directly to them.

Gosh.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1663 on: October 13, 2016, 04:54:40 PM »
This is a site for "teachers", yet some think it's appropriate to be alone with a student...

I sure hope you are trolls and not being sincere.

I think this is very subjective. I don't think you should NEVER be alone with a student. If you have a close relationship with said student then I don't think there is any issue. If it was a student who you don't really know or maybe a trouble student then yes being alone COULD cause an issue. Though I think it is highly unlikely. So yeah I think it just takes an assessment of the particular situation.
It's the opposite, in my opinion. The closer you are to a student, the larger that physical gap should be. If someone walks past a classroom and sees you in it talking really close with a student who is known to be one of your favorites, it casts suspicion on you.
I'm not saying the obvious (don't molest kids). I'm trying to say don't do anything that's gonna make anyone suspect you of anything inappropriate.
Ajahya,

You nailed it!

This isn't a "subjective" thing in the least.  It is standard school policy, so not sure what JR is on about in stating as much.

What is "standard school policy"?  The law?  An unwritten rule?

I think JR's point is that having a one on one class with a known troublemaker would be more of an issue than with a top student who you already know well and have a good relationship with. 

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1664 on: October 13, 2016, 04:55:45 PM »
She just can't keep herself from bugging me, though, apparently.

On our way up to the classroom, she told me she thinks it's inappropriate to bring coffee to the classroom. I've been here 7 months and no one, including her, ever said anything about it being bad to bring coffee to the classroom before today. Actually, she used to bring me coffee to my classroom.

Your coT is full of it. Maybe she has control issues and thus feels the need to nitpick on you? Or maybe she spilled something and has now decided it's inappropriate.

One time a coT spilled her tea all over my lesson plans. At least it wasn't coffee. Hasn't stopped her from bringing drinks to the classroom(s).

I really don't know what her deal is. Probably just the standard "I'm the oldest/I'm the boss" Korean mentality that makes them think every tiny opinion they have is the right one and everyone else should adhere to it.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #1665 on: October 13, 2016, 04:56:08 PM »
Didn't want to hijack the Candy Corn thread, but candy corn tastes like crap. All me and my friends did with them when we were kids was to use them as projectiles. I suspect they'll suffer a similar fate here.

Circus peanuts taste like crap too. There's a reason this candy is so unpopular its sold in a plain cellophane bag with "Candy Corn" on top.

What about candy corn flavored stuff? Like candy corn Oreos?

Those exist??? Oof.  Well at least they're in the vanilla oreo cookie. The only oreos I care for are either the vanilla ones or the mint ones.

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #1666 on: October 13, 2016, 04:57:27 PM »
This is a site for "teachers", yet some think it's appropriate to be alone with a student...

I sure hope you are trolls and not being sincere.

I think this is very subjective. I don't think you should NEVER be alone with a student. If you have a close relationship with said student then I don't think there is any issue. If it was a student who you don't really know or maybe a trouble student then yes being alone COULD cause an issue. Though I think it is highly unlikely. So yeah I think it just takes an assessment of the particular situation.
It's the opposite, in my opinion. The closer you are to a student, the larger that physical gap should be. If someone walks past a classroom and sees you in it talking really close with a student who is known to be one of your favorites, it casts suspicion on you.
I'm not saying the obvious (don't molest kids). I'm trying to say don't do anything that's gonna make anyone suspect you of anything inappropriate.
Ajahya,

You nailed it!

This isn't a "subjective" thing in the least.  It is standard school policy, so not sure what JR is on about in stating as much.

I was never made aware of any school policy that I should never be alone with a student. As I am writing this now there is a student in the office printing stuff out for revision for his exams all the other teachers are on a business trip, should I go get someone so I am not alone with him? That would be pretty ridiculous. I get your point, both of you. I am just saying sometimes it just takes a little common sense. AND to be honest I never really thought of this beforehand as the thought of being accused of anything like what you are suggesting is just so completely beyond me. But I guess it is something that should be considered.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1667 on: October 13, 2016, 04:58:21 PM »
None of my pants fit comfortably, I'm too big for small shirts, and mediums are too big and fit poorly.

if you start going to the gym again you might have an even worse problem. i work out and find it really difficult to find clothes that fit. and i'm not even that huge at all. same height as you and weigh 75kg. but often i'll go clothes shopping and the biggest shirt size they'll have is some super-skinny fit 105, which feels like my lats would just rip it apart if i bent over.

don't even get me started on pants. i have a 32 inch waist but most 32 inch pants here are way too tight in my thighs. i have a HUGE problem pants shopping. a 'regular' fit is fine, but regular fit is waaayyy too baggy for me. i can go up to a 34 inch 'slim fit' and cinch the waist with a belt, and that's okay in the thigh, but often it's too big at the bottom of my leg, from the knee down.

i'm really not that huge of a guy in terms of musculature, but on the bright side going clothes shopping here makes me feel like Arnold Schwarzenneger  :laugh:

That's super confusing. You only weigh 4-5kg more than me, but I wear a size 29-30 in jeans, and 95-100 in shirts. Usually in the 30/100 bracket, these days, though. Literally all my weight is in my stomach and now I have gross back fat love handles.

where do you shop? or what brands do you usually buy? maybe i'm just shopping in the wrong places. i have noticed though that a lot of clothes here don't seem to be designed for guys with any type of musculature. a lot of it is super-slim/skinny fit. there are some really skinny koreans dude out there but i think the majority aren't as skinny - at least anymore - as the clothing manufacturers would like to believe.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1668 on: October 13, 2016, 04:59:19 PM »
People who compulsively look at their phone to the point of not being able to carry a conversation drive me nuts, but I also can't wrap my head around people who are like, "I don't even need a phone at all, because I like to live in the present and look at birds and smell people and stuff like that. I use an antique flip phone and even that's more tech horsepower than I need, because I'm not a slave to a pocket rectangle."

There's absolutely zero denying that having access to such a staggering amount of information as what's on the internet is a vast improvement over not having that. Before I got a smartphone, I had to rely on a physical book to translate things when I first came to Korea. I had to carry physical maps of the subway lines. I had to carry a separate camera if I wanted to take a decent picture. If I didn't have things like that with me, I had to waste tons of time looking for stuff, figuring out how to go somewhere, etc etc.

With a phone, you can just find the answer and then spend your time doing something you actually enjoy.

Like, imagine you had to meet a friend for dinner. They told you where they are, but you're not sure how to get there. What's better? 1) Wander around trying to find them for an hour, or 2) Just go directly to them.

Gosh.

Fun fact: a guy cancelled our date because I wanted to meet a little later to charge my phone, so it wouldn't die when I was on the subway leaving me no way to contact him if we had an issue meeting up.

Honestly the only thing worse than people who are completely glued to their phones are the people who act like the massive convenience of our current technology is nothing more than a frivolity.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1669 on: October 13, 2016, 04:59:56 PM »

How many times have you seen......

Hey, guys! Just a lazy Tuesday afternoon at A Twosome Place.

Generic image of a cafe latte.

#lovelife #coffee #whydontihaveajob? #pleasevalidatemethroughlikesandshares

#tooreal #triggered

Why do people post pictures of the most basic food? Like, a franchise latte? Really? That's something you should be hiding in shame, not displaying proudly.

Like, if you go ham on some mad ribs or like, a gnarly burger or something, cool. If you're drinking a basic latte or like, buying a bottle of (not fancy) water or something, nobody cares, get that trash out of my feed so I can look at something cool.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1670 on: October 13, 2016, 05:00:57 PM »
My co often takes students out of the classroom for 1-on-1 lessons during the day. She goes into an empty classroom down the hall. Sometimes she'll start with about 3 students and send the other two back to their classrooms and keep the one. It never occurred to me that it would seem nefarious to anyone  :huh:
Nefarious?

Not sure what you are on about, but it is a matter of school policy.

I wouldn't concern myself with what others are doing, like your coteacher.

I'm simply talking about taking care of your own by completely avoiding anything that would give the appearance of impropriety.

I mean, would you have a student over to your house, give them a ride home, touch them, or the like?

Where the heck are some of you "nuts" from that think any of the above would be OK?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1671 on: October 13, 2016, 05:01:18 PM »

Enjoy the simple things that a day brings. Stop crushing candy in the bathroom.

With all the talk of candy corn and it being Halloween season, I thought you literally meant crushing candy and was thoroughly confused. Like is this an expression for drugs or something?

Then I realized it's a mobile game.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:03:22 PM by yirj17 »

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1672 on: October 13, 2016, 05:02:38 PM »

Gosh.

Fun fact: a guy cancelled our date because I wanted to meet a little later to charge my phone, so it wouldn't die when I was on the subway leaving me no way to contact him if we had an issue meeting up.

Honestly the only thing worse than people who are completely glued to their phones are the people who act like the massive convenience of our current technology is nothing more than a frivolity.

Oh... oh. That's it. That's the best post.

Moonbrie, you articulated that so much better and more eloquently than I ever could've. Smartphones are so #based because it literally gives you access to the collective knowledge and resources of the entire population. That's pretty neat.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1673 on: October 13, 2016, 05:03:50 PM »
My co often takes students out of the classroom for 1-on-1 lessons during the day. She goes into an empty classroom down the hall. Sometimes she'll start with about 3 students and send the other two back to their classrooms and keep the one. It never occurred to me that it would seem nefarious to anyone  :huh:
Nefarious?

I'm simply talking about taking care of your own by completely avoiding anything that would give the appearance of impropriety.

I mean, would you have a student over to your house, give them a ride home, touch them, or the like?

Where the heck are some of you "nuts" from that think any of the above would be OK?
\

Not sure why you're having a go at me. A few people posted that it's a well known rule that teachers shouldn't be alone with students, but my co is often alone with students and I didn't think anything of it. That's all I said, but you must be bored or something.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1674 on: October 13, 2016, 05:05:01 PM »

I was never made aware of any school policy that I should never be alone with a student. As I am writing this now there is a student in the office printing stuff out for revision for his exams all the other teachers are on a business trip, should I go get someone so I am not alone with him? That would be pretty ridiculous. I get your point, both of you. I am just saying sometimes it just takes a little common sense. AND to be honest I never really thought of this beforehand as the thought of being accused of anything like what you are suggesting is just so completely beyond me. But I guess it is something that should be considered.
What TEFL/TESOL course did you take? I can almost guarantee it was stated somewhere in there. If you got an actual teaching certification, then they should have taught you that. Anyone who has ever learned to teach in a formal setting, or even online, should have been taught not to be alone with the kids. How much time was spent drilling that into peoples' heads, however, depends on how much the instructor thought it was common sense.
I know when you're not a creep, this doesn't necessarily occur to you. You're alone with a student and it doesn't matter because you're not a creep. But it doesn't matter who you are and what you wouldn't do. This is about appearances and not making teacher/parents suspect you.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1675 on: October 13, 2016, 05:07:11 PM »
I used to be against having a smartphone personally because I just prefer the tactile feel of buttons.

Now that I have one, I appreciate being able to look up maps and translations w/o having to haul physical books around. Also, sometimes I like looking out the window and sometimes I enjoy playing mindless games. Or even reading books or listening to music. To each, his/her own. I think having so many features in a compact device is rather awesome.

However I do think it polite to avoid using phones at mealtimes when in the company of others.

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #1676 on: October 13, 2016, 05:09:04 PM »
Nefarious?

Are you okay?

You don't seem to be.

Let's clear something up then. So I don't think anyone here thinks having students round your home, or touching them is okay. Okay, so glad we got that out the way.

Secondly, the discussion was about if you should be alone with students, E.g. Teaching them 1 v 1 or maybe discussing something after class or after school. Which in my opinion is completely fine. Unless, you're highly paranoid, highly suspicous, highly tempted to... feel them?

If I saw a student in a class alone with a teacher, I'm pretty sure the last thing I would think is that something innapropriate is going on.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1677 on: October 13, 2016, 05:09:41 PM »

How many times have you seen......

Hey, guys! Just a lazy Tuesday afternoon at A Twosome Place.

Generic image of a cafe latte.

#lovelife #coffee #whydontihaveajob? #pleasevalidatemethroughlikesandshares

#tooreal #triggered

Why do people post pictures of the most basic food? Like, a franchise latte? Really? That's something you should be hiding in shame, not displaying proudly.

Like, if you go ham on some mad ribs or like, a gnarly burger or something, cool. If you're drinking a basic latte or like, buying a bottle of (not fancy) water or something, nobody cares, get that trash out of my feed so I can look at something cool.

Bump. Like I'ma post a picture of this sweet stingray I had in Singapore but a basic coffee? SNORE!

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1678 on: October 13, 2016, 05:12:50 PM »
Call it the JYP effect. I feel like he just comes off as old and creepy here. The song itself sounds dated. He's definitely lost his mojo.

(JYP Music Video)

Yeah, he got a lot of flack for that music vid from the global community, but a lot of the criticism was because he kept talking about nicely-built round asses and the women he used in the vid were basically concave down there. Like only one of them had a legit ass, and she wasn't the one they kept focusing on.

When he was questioned about this criticism, he commented something along the lines of, "I don't like girls with big butts." And the follow-up was, "Yeah, well, you apparently prefer girls with no butts."

ANYWAY, I think he's pretty creepy.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:14:40 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1679 on: October 13, 2016, 05:12:50 PM »
JR,

I have yet to work for a school district where that wasn't listed within the "Code of Conduct" that all employees had to sign.

Do you have any of your students sit on your lap?

Seriously, this has really got me "spun" to read some of the nonsense here.

I pray you are trolling.

I can only imagine all of the other inappropriate things that some do.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment