September 25, 2017, 05:14:02 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 490121 times)

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1640 on: October 13, 2016, 04:27:04 PM »
Didn't want to hijack the Candy Corn thread, but candy corn tastes like crap. All me and my friends did with them when we were kids was to use them as projectiles. I suspect they'll suffer a similar fate here.

Circus peanuts taste like crap too. There's a reason this candy is so unpopular its sold in a plain cellophane bag with "Candy Corn" on top.

What about candy corn flavored stuff? Like candy corn Oreos?

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #1641 on: October 13, 2016, 04:27:26 PM »
Talking about gyms ...
Seriously can you just not play the game for an hour or so haha!

I don't want to self righteous, although I know I will, but it's so refreshing. I recommend trying it. Going out for dinner with a friend in your neighbourhood? Just leave your phone at home for a few hours. Waiting for a train? Just watch the people in the station. Think about tomorrow. Look at all the gorgeous Koreans walking around. Phones are super useful, there's no denying that, but to look at it every second you're not doing something active is a detriment to your health, mentally.

Enjoy the simple things that a day brings. Stop crushing candy in the bathroom.

RANT OVER

Totally agree with you, lately I catch myself on my phone all the time! I'm 100% addicted but I am aware of it. Me and my mates back in the U.K. put all our phones in the middle of the table when we are out at a bar or pub. First one to pick theirs up downs their drink haha

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1642 on: October 13, 2016, 04:29:16 PM »
Talking about gyms ...
I broke my phone in March this year and I decided, "You know what? I'll wait to get another one." And I did. Until last week. I got a rental phone from SK and it's so shit it literally is slow at running Kakao. I love it.

I can just be there. I can just wait for the subway. I can just sit still. I can do nothing. I never realised how glued I was to that damn thing in the years prior. My GF and I got to the station last week and she had her phone out with a game within 45 secs of getting on the platform. We don't need to be talking all of the time but is it too much to ask to just be together?

I don't want to self righteous, although I know I will, but it's so refreshing. I recommend trying it. Going out for dinner with a friend in your neighbourhood? Just leave your phone at home for a few hours. Waiting for a train? Just watch the people in the station. Think about tomorrow. Look at all the gorgeous Koreans walking around. Phones are super useful, there's no denying that, but to look at it every second you're not doing something active is a detriment to your health, mentally.

RANT OVER

I have never had a smartphone for that particular reason.  I even leave my 2g phone at home for that reason.  I'll never understand why it has become such a focal point for people when they have some down time.  I want to look outside and see the things going on.  I sit on the bus and look at the scenery go by.  I'm not interrupted by calls the whole time or messages arriving because I don't send many myself.  I can sit and 'be'.  I love nothing more than that.  Like you said it is almost like an emotional connection you have with it, without it leaves people anxious.  But when you do try and live without it you feel freer.

Stop crushing candy in the bathroom.

I'm sure there is a poo joke in there somewhere.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1643 on: October 13, 2016, 04:29:29 PM »
Aha! I bet it was probably due to some canceled meals.

On the subject of candy corn, I never particularly liked them except for the caramel apple ones. Those were strangely kind of tasty. Overall never saw the popularity of them other than having "Halloweeny" colors?

I feel like, like a lot of other candies, they were "tasty" when first invented but now people think they're shit, like a lot of other iconic candies. I don't know how anyone ever thought conversation hearts or those funny sugar wafer disk things were tasty, but they were invented around the heyday of large-scale candymaking, so I guess they're just so culturally entrenched now and that's the only reason they haven't disappeared.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1644 on: October 13, 2016, 04:32:25 PM »

...but these guys hover around me, try to "sneak" peeks down my shirt or at my crotch (I had to drape a towel across my lap because of this), a few try to chat me up and it's pretty damn clear that they're bothering me but they never take the hint, and it's all just super weird and annoying. The owner notices but doesn't say anything.

I am livid just reading this. And of course I'm sure you're the wanton foreigner-whore who is reveling in their attention. Fuuuuuuck these men.
Speaking of the gym, I used to go three to four times every week for about 3 years in a row.

Then I started working at a school where I was worked to exhaustion every day and haven't been to the gym in about two and a half years. And now I'm fat. It sucks. Starting again is so hard.
I've never worked out. I was just naturally skinny. And then a couple years ago I started getting "womanly", but now I'm just getting fat. Starting for the first time is also freaking hard.

I gained weight when I was little after my mom died, lost 20 pounds by starving myself when I was 9, then was skinny and conventionally attractive all through middle and high school....until mandatory gym class ended. Since then I've pretty consistently gained 15 pounds a year, and it wasn't until I reached 200 that I was like "oh shit this is a problem" since it takes a lot before I "look fat." Even now people tell me I'm not fat though I very clearly am.

I'm planning to join a gym but I'm so intimidated haha. Especially because there's no way I'm doing cardio in order to save my knees for dance. And lifting especially for a total beginner requires a trainer...ughhhhhh

That last part isn't quite true. If you start with comically light weights and some youtube tutorials just until you get a bit of muscle memory for the motions, you'll be fine. I lifted exclusively and never did much standalone cardio, and I never had a trainer or anyone to show me how to do it. Just make sure you start with weights that are way, way, way below the weight where it might strain you. At first.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1645 on: October 13, 2016, 04:32:44 PM »

...this... this is real? What kind of abomination is this?

3.4 stars on Amazon... most useful review says, "You will hate yourself for eating these." Hahahha

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1646 on: October 13, 2016, 04:34:23 PM »

On the subject of candy corn, I never particularly liked them except for the caramel apple ones. Those were strangely kind of tasty. Overall never saw the popularity of them other than having "Halloweeny" colors?

I feel like, like a lot of other candies, they were "tasty" when first invented but now people think they're shit, like a lot of other iconic candies. I don't know how anyone ever thought conversation hearts or those funny sugar wafer disk things were tasty, but they were invented around the heyday of large-scale candymaking, so I guess they're just so culturally entrenched now and that's the only reason they haven't disappeared.

Those conversation hearts taste like chalk. I feel like they're only popular due to being heart-shaped nostalgia with words on them.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1647 on: October 13, 2016, 04:34:51 PM »
None of my pants fit comfortably, I'm too big for small shirts, and mediums are too big and fit poorly.

if you start going to the gym again you might have an even worse problem. i work out and find it really difficult to find clothes that fit. and i'm not even that huge at all. same height as you and weigh 75kg. but often i'll go clothes shopping and the biggest shirt size they'll have is some super-skinny fit 105, which feels like my lats would just rip it apart if i bent over.

don't even get me started on pants. i have a 32 inch waist but most 32 inch pants here are way too tight in my thighs. i have a HUGE problem pants shopping. a 'regular' fit is fine, but regular fit is waaayyy too baggy for me. i can go up to a 34 inch 'slim fit' and cinch the waist with a belt, and that's okay in the thigh, but often it's too big at the bottom of my leg, from the knee down.

i'm really not that huge of a guy in terms of musculature, but on the bright side going clothes shopping here makes me feel like Arnold Schwarzenneger  :laugh:

That's super confusing. You only weigh 4-5kg more than me, but I wear a size 29-30 in jeans, and 95-100 in shirts. Usually in the 30/100 bracket, these days, though. Literally all my weight is in my stomach and now I have gross back fat love handles.

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #1648 on: October 13, 2016, 04:35:05 PM »
[\quote]
I have never had a smartphone for that particular reason.  I even leave my 2g phone at home for that reason.  I'll never understand why it has become such a focal point for people when they have some down time.  I want to look outside and see the things going on.  I sit on the bus and look at the scenery go by.  I'm not interrupted by calls the whole time or messages arriving because I don't send many myself.  I can sit and 'be'.  I love nothing more than that.  Like you said it is almost like an emotional connection you have with it, without it leaves people anxious.  But when you do try and live without it you feel freer.

[/quote]

UHM HELLO!?!?!

KAKAO, WHATS APP, YOUTUBE, INSTAGRAM, TINDER, TUMBLR, NPR, FACEBOOK, SUBWAY APP, BUS APP. How do you keep up with what's current???

This is 2016. Resistance is futile, Neo.

I do, however, however object to using cell phones while at dinner. I'm not on my phone constantly. I do devote a set amount of time a day to catch up on all of the social media.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 04:39:03 PM by FreddyPrinceWilliam »

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1649 on: October 13, 2016, 04:35:32 PM »
I posted in the happy thread about how my boss coteacher actually said something sort of nice (if you squint) today.

She just can't keep herself from bugging me, though, apparently.

On our way up to the classroom, she told me she thinks it's inappropriate to bring coffee to the classroom. I've been here 7 months and no one, including her, ever said anything about it being bad to bring coffee to the classroom before today. Actually, she used to bring me coffee to my classroom.

I asked another coteacher if she thought it was inappropriate, and she seemed confused as to why it would be. When I explained to her about boss coteacher being on my case she said "maybe it looks dangerous? you could use a tumbler"

I know these are just little things but when you get harassed at least a few times a week for minor crap, including doing the same things other people do, and have had other, more serious run-ins with the same person.... ughhhhh. It just drains me.

Online sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1650 on: October 13, 2016, 04:37:44 PM »
Talking about gyms ...

RANT OVER

Totally agree with you, lately I catch myself on my phone all the time! I'm 100% addicted but I am aware of it. Me and my mates back in the U.K. put all our phones in the middle of the table when we are out at a bar or pub. First one to pick theirs up downs their drink haha

That's a really cute rule haha

I've become so addicted to my phone since I came to Korea. It started out as me finding ways to avoid the eyes of people staring at me on the subway, but now, even if I'm out with someone I really like, I feel like I need to do shit on my phone. I feel so rude but for a while I didn't even notice it. Now I control myself but if I'm with someone and they get up to use the bathroom I reach for my phone SO quick like a junkie sneaking a high. It's sad.

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #1651 on: October 13, 2016, 04:37:55 PM »
On the topic of teachers being alone with a student:
If I was asked to do one - to one classes I would insist on doing them in the office or at the back of the home room classroom with the home room teacher there. I would not be comfortable being alone with a student. Not because I'm a deviant, and not because anyone should assume foreign teachers/male teachers/any teacher should not be trusted to be alone with a child but because that child can accuse me of anything for any reason, and with no witnesses to defend me, there is no way I would be able to continue working in schools (depending on the nature of the accusation).

Yes, there is a child protection issue with an adult being alone with a child but you also need to protect yourself as a teacher. When one to one teaching has to happen, it should be in an open area where other people can see you/frequently walk passed. I thought that was standard...

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1652 on: October 13, 2016, 04:40:32 PM »

I gained weight when I was little after my mom died, lost 20 pounds by starving myself when I was 9, then was skinny and conventionally attractive all through middle and high school....until mandatory gym class ended. Since then I've pretty consistently gained 15 pounds a year, and it wasn't until I reached 200 that I was like "oh shit this is a problem" since it takes a lot before I "look fat." Even now people tell me I'm not fat though I very clearly am.

I'm planning to join a gym but I'm so intimidated haha. Especially because there's no way I'm doing cardio in order to save my knees for dance. And lifting especially for a total beginner requires a trainer...ughhhhhh

That last part isn't quite true. If you start with comically light weights and some youtube tutorials just until you get a bit of muscle memory for the motions, you'll be fine. I lifted exclusively and never did much standalone cardio, and I never had a trainer or anyone to show me how to do it. Just make sure you start with weights that are way, way, way below the weight where it might strain you. At first.

I'm also not super confident and have massive trouble learning anything without any guidance. In a class-type setting I'm a superstar, but self-teaching is just out of my depth. There's this gym that opened recently near my house where they have been advertising by having the super buff trainers hang out by the Lotte, so I'm thinking of checking that one out haha.

Online sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1653 on: October 13, 2016, 04:42:20 PM »
My co often takes students out of the classroom for 1-on-1 lessons during the day. She goes into an empty classroom down the hall. Sometimes she'll start with about 3 students and send the other two back to their classrooms and keep the one. It never occurred to me that it would seem nefarious to anyone  :huh:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1654 on: October 13, 2016, 04:44:42 PM »
This is 2016. Resistance is futile, Neo.

I do, however, however object to using cell phones while at dinner. I'm not on my phone constantly. I do devote a set amount of time a day to catch up on all of the social media.

You're right!

I hate social media.  Really couldn't give a sh*t.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1655 on: October 13, 2016, 04:44:48 PM »

Obligatory #basedcowboyshirt post:

Candy is basically poison. Don't eat it. It's bad. All candy. Poison. Gross.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1656 on: October 13, 2016, 04:45:40 PM »
This is a site for "teachers", yet some think it's appropriate to be alone with a student...

I sure hope you are trolls and not being sincere.

I think this is very subjective. I don't think you should NEVER be alone with a student. If you have a close relationship with said student then I don't think there is any issue. If it was a student who you don't really know or maybe a trouble student then yes being alone COULD cause an issue. Though I think it is highly unlikely. So yeah I think it just takes an assessment of the particular situation.
It's the opposite, in my opinion. The closer you are to a student, the larger that physical gap should be. If someone walks past a classroom and sees you in it talking really close with a student who is known to be one of your favorites, it casts suspicion on you.
I'm not saying the obvious (don't molest kids). I'm trying to say don't do anything that's gonna make anyone suspect you of anything inappropriate.
Ajahya,

You nailed it!

This isn't a "subjective" thing in the least.  It is standard school policy, so not sure what JR is on about in stating as much.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1657 on: October 13, 2016, 04:50:42 PM »
She just can't keep herself from bugging me, though, apparently.

On our way up to the classroom, she told me she thinks it's inappropriate to bring coffee to the classroom. I've been here 7 months and no one, including her, ever said anything about it being bad to bring coffee to the classroom before today. Actually, she used to bring me coffee to my classroom.

Your coT is full of it. Maybe she has control issues and thus feels the need to nitpick on you? Or maybe she spilled something and has now decided it's inappropriate.

One time a coT spilled her tea all over my lesson plans. At least it wasn't coffee. Hasn't stopped her from bringing drinks to the classroom(s).

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1658 on: October 13, 2016, 04:51:06 PM »

...this... this is real? What kind of abomination is this?

3.4 stars on Amazon... most useful review says, "You will hate yourself for eating these." Hahahha

You'll never escape the candy corn, it infests everything and will take over your soul.

There's also this: http://www.grubstreet.com/2016/09/brachs-terrifying-brunch-candy-corn.html

My brother really likes the chocolate flavored candy corn.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 04:55:56 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #1659 on: October 13, 2016, 04:52:17 PM »
You're right!

I hate social media.  Really couldn't give a sh*t.

How many times have you seen......

Hey, guys! Just a lazy Tuesday afternoon at A Twosome Place.

Generic image of a cafe latte.

#lovelife #coffee #whydontihaveajob? #pleasevalidatemethroughlikesandshares
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment