November 19, 2017, 09:12:33 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 563980 times)

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1640 on: October 14, 2016, 10:49:02 AM »
2 minutes into 4th period:

"Maybe 4th period will be canceled."

MAYBE?!?!?!?!?  It either is or it isn't.

I guess I'll just sit here waiting uncomfortably.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1641 on: October 14, 2016, 10:59:31 AM »
My Grade 3's came into my classroom with banners and signs saying '우리 말' and '한글' shouting 'No English'.

It was kinda funny, and was meant in jest I believe...but it also felt a little uncomfortable and sad.

This is weird... even if it was in jest, the way their grudges against other countries and their victim complexes are fostered at even young ages makes me sick. They make them believe Korea is better than everywhere else, us vs them, other countries are moral-less bullies blah blah and then force them to study English for years and years to the point where they hate it. Okay... what are they trying to accomplish here?

Offline atemporaryaccount

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1642 on: October 14, 2016, 11:10:40 AM »
My Grade 3's came into my classroom with banners and signs saying '우리 말' and '한글' shouting 'No English'.

It was kinda funny, and was meant in jest I believe...but it also felt a little uncomfortable and sad.

This is weird... even if it was in jest, the way their grudges against other countries and their victim complexes are fostered at even young ages makes me sick. They make them believe Korea is better than everywhere else, us vs them, other countries are moral-less bullies blah blah and then force them to study English for years and years to the point where they hate it. Okay... what are they trying to accomplish here?

I believe uri-mal is the name of a contest that many Korean schools do. The contest has to do with the Korean language and some kind of riddle-like questions, I think.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1643 on: October 14, 2016, 11:33:26 AM »

Oh man it drives me nuts how "maybe" is almost always used as "definitely." But you can never be sure because, you know, maybe means maybe.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1644 on: October 14, 2016, 11:33:54 AM »

I believe uri-mal is the name of a contest that many Korean schools do. The contest has to do with the Korean language and some kind of riddle-like questions, I think.

I can neither confirm nor deny that, but "우리 말" is just one of the ways they refer to their language. I'm reasonably sure that's the context in which they were using it for their little "prank."

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1645 on: October 14, 2016, 11:41:59 AM »

The number of adult (especially teachers at my school) who have expressed their hatred of English when talking to me is unsettling. Eve more so when they are then all buddy buddy let's go play volleyball and drink.

Yeah, no thanks.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1646 on: October 14, 2016, 11:47:12 AM »
My CT works up and down the senile scale. We've been having a really good run the past couple of months. Today was not good. Maybe it's because I only had that one class but goddammit.

Walk in to start prepping stuff (game's fairly extensive today). We've been having the kids write the list of words in their notebook for the game all week (5 times). No, today they need a special piece of paper. So, I'm drawing 4x4 grids on scrap paper.

Then the kids come 5 minutes late. She gets confused and thinks its still break time for 5 more minutes.... realizes it with 1 minute before that 5 minute break should be up (9 minutes into class). Proceeds to play songs anyways. I didn't bother explaining, not worth the effort.

My inner zen master just got another level up today. My dad and grandfathers are super chill and I never understood how. I might end up like them someday.

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1647 on: October 14, 2016, 11:56:45 AM »

The number of adult (especially teachers at my school) who have expressed their hatred of English when talking to me is unsettling. Eve more so when they are then all buddy buddy let's go play volleyball and drink.

Yeah, no thanks.

Maybe it's because they view it as just another subject. I know, many times, I find myself vocalizing my hatred for math

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1648 on: October 14, 2016, 12:00:42 PM »

Yeah, no thanks.

Maybe it's because they view it as just another subject. I know, many times, I find myself vocalizing my hatred for math

Quite possibly this. In schools where a 2nd language is part of the required curriculum, not everyone is going to like it, much like any other subject.

Offline strugglebunny

• Veteran
« Reply #1649 on: October 14, 2016, 12:01:17 PM »

Yeah, no thanks.

That's what you get when you force a (let's be honest, almost useless to everyone here) subject onto an unwilling, but unable to resist, audience. Imagine if you had a colleague that you could only communicate with via calculus or something. You might resent that person, too. I'd probably go out of my way to never speak with him.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1650 on: October 14, 2016, 12:03:52 PM »

Yeah, no thanks.

I could definitely see that. I wouldn't think twice before telling a math teacher I hate math haha.

However, with how attached people here are to almost all aspects of their culture to the point where foreigners are afraid to admit they don't like kimchi in front of a Korean, you'd think they would be able to understand hearing how much they hate your entire reason for being here might be a bit uncomfortable.

Just kidding, that would require empathy and imply the idea that all cultures are equal  :rolleyes:

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1651 on: October 14, 2016, 12:03:57 PM »

Yeah, no thanks.

Do you vocalize your hatred of math to the math teachers you work with?

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1652 on: October 14, 2016, 12:14:34 PM »

Oh man it drives me nuts how "maybe" is almost always used as "definitely." But you can never be sure because, you know, maybe means maybe.

Maybe is used because of the constant changing of plans. I wouldn't be any more sure if 'definitely' was used.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1653 on: October 14, 2016, 12:19:41 PM »

Yeah, no thanks.

That's what you get when you force a (let's be honest, almost useless to everyone here) subject onto an unwilling, but unable to resist, audience. Imagine if you had a colleague that you could only communicate with via calculus or something. You might resent that person, too. I'd probably go out of my way to never speak with him.

this is a fair point, but i think the issue here is that the homeroom teacher is indoctrinating 3rd grade students to hate english and favor korean. that's hugely problematic especially since they aren't in the 'i hate english' stage yet. not sure about anyone else's students but my 3rd and 4th grade students love english.

what this homeroom teacher did is just another example of blind korean nationalism, and how korean kids are indoctrinated into it. in my school the 3rd grade students appear to have made posters proclaiming "dokdo uri ttang" last semester which are hanging all over the school.

Offline strugglebunny

• Veteran
« Reply #1654 on: October 14, 2016, 01:02:05 PM »

this is a fair point, but i think the issue here is that the homeroom teacher is indoctrinating 3rd grade students to hate english and favor korean. that's hugely problematic especially since they aren't in the 'i hate english' stage yet. not sure about anyone else's students but my 3rd and 4th grade students love english.

what this homeroom teacher did is just another example of blind korean nationalism, and how korean kids are indoctrinated into it. in my school the 3rd grade students appear to have made posters proclaiming "dokdo uri ttang" last semester which are hanging all over the school.

Ah, I thought it was 3rd grade middle school students.

Yeah, maybe doing that with 3rd grade elementary school students kind of sucks. I also hate the dumb Liancourt Rocks (I hate calling them 'Dokdo') garbage they indoctrinate the kids with here, too. It just seems petty and pathetic when something so insignificant becomes a point of national identity.

I kind of wish Japan would be the better country and just give up its claim, but then we'd hear an endless stream of nonsense of how Korea heroically defeated its honor over the tyrannical Japanese. (Plus I know there are possible claims to resources underneath the sea which is the real reason the two counties even give a crap about those rocks.)

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1655 on: October 14, 2016, 01:12:11 PM »

This is what I was going to say.

I don't like a lot of things. I've always managed to not mention it to the people doing those things.

My first day here my CT introduced me to all the teachers in our office;

One of them said 'Hi, I'm _____. I hate English.' (Very happy and smiley.)
Me: Uh, nice to meet you?

One of the things I'm consistently surprised by here is the number of people who seem to think that I will care about their opinion. (Ie. Why say something when you can say nothing.)

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1656 on: October 14, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »

I kind of wish Japan would be the better country and just give up its claim, but then we'd hear an endless stream of nonsense of how Korea heroically defeated its honor over the tyrannical Japanese. (Plus I know there are possible claims to resources underneath the sea which is the real reason the two counties even give a crap about those rocks.)

Japan has offered to take it to a neutral international court of arbitration and to honor the results of the hearing whatever they end up being, but Korea refused. I kinda suspect many Koreans are subconsciously happier having it as a contentious issue to hate Japan over than they'd be if Japan actually just gave it to them.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1657 on: October 14, 2016, 01:15:05 PM »

Yeah, no thanks.

Oh, I agree. I fully understand there resentment and dislike of it. I've even said and had most of my CTs agree that teaching English to everyone is absolutely pointless.

I can even understand avoiding them. I do it all the time myself.

Offline strugglebunny

• Veteran
« Reply #1658 on: October 14, 2016, 01:17:08 PM »

Japan has offered to take it to a neutral international court of arbitration and to honor the results of the hearing whatever they end up being, but Korea refused. I kinda suspect many Koreans are subconsciously happier having it as a contentious issue to hate Japan over than they'd be if Japan actually just gave it to them.

Never knew about that. Now I hate the whole thing even more. Can't wait to get out of this country...

Of course, if I go back to the U.S., I'll just have another brand of stupid nationalism to deal with.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 01:19:20 PM by strugglebunny »

Offline defenderoftherealm

• Super Waygook
  • Unleash the gangster.
« Reply #1659 on: October 14, 2016, 01:18:08 PM »

This is what I was going to say.

I don't like a lot of things. I've always managed to not mention it to the people doing those things.

My first day here my CT introduced me to all the teachers in our office;

One of them said 'Hi, I'm _____. I hate English.' (Very happy and smiley.)
Me: Uh, nice to meet you?

One of the things I'm consistently surprised by here is the number of people who seem to think that I will care about their opinion. (Ie. Why say something when you can say nothing.)

You should have said, "And English hates you too." (영어는 너를 싫해요.)