November 24, 2017, 03:28:05 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 571370 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1620 on: October 13, 2016, 03:08:53 PM »
This is seriously my favorite post so far. I'm quoting you just so I can find this again later because it's going to be in my sig someday in the future.

I relish the thought. Thanks.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1621 on: October 13, 2016, 03:15:23 PM »
Like, I genuinely challenge anyone to say that this isn't absolutely top-tier talent and artistry.

Sure, talent is on show there. But the song itself is nothing special. I would never go out my way to listen to it again.

It's almost as though musical taste is subjective.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1622 on: October 13, 2016, 03:16:54 PM »
This is seriously my favorite post so far. I'm quoting you just so I can find this again later because it's going to be in my sig someday in the future.

Too much positivity in here. Shouldn't someone be complaining about kimchi or something?

I don't like relish.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1623 on: October 13, 2016, 03:23:10 PM »

Too much positivity in here. Shouldn't someone be complaining about kimchi or something?

I don't like relish.

I don't like bubble tea.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1624 on: October 13, 2016, 03:26:22 PM »

I don't like relish.

I don't like bubble tea.

I don't relish the housing bubble.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #1625 on: October 13, 2016, 03:43:30 PM »
Let's get back off topic here:

Is there anything worse than people who insist that the only 'real' music is more than a few decades old, and that 'all this modern stuff isn't even music'?

Seriously. The worst. Do I enjoy classic rock? Yes, I do. Is classic rock the Platonic ideal of music? No. Is a Brittney Spears or 2NE1 track in any way 'less' musical than, say, Abbey Road? No. Is Abbey Road a better album? Probably, yeah. Is that in any way due to its age, or the fact that it has lots of guitars and no computers were involved in making it? No.

Seriously - people who think any music that isn't a couple guitars, drums, and a bass is somehow inferior are the most insufferable.

Also, Kanye West is one of the most talented artists of the past decade.

But I turn on mainstream radio and it's all pop! There's no good music anymore...................

Don't you know the collective population of the world listened to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin back in the 70s? Now the collective population of the world listens to Kesha and Iggy Azalea.

#lewronggeneration #whycantIbea60yearoldrightnow?

Ugh. This is rant worthy. No, the collective population of the world did not listen to Pink Floyd. The collective white population of the world maybe, but not everyone. And no, not everyone's 90s was defined by Alternative and Pearl Jam and Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins (great as they were). For some it was NWA, No Limit, Tupac, Biggie, etc. And as much as people rag on rap, and pop like BSB, Britney, Janet Jackson, and so on, at least it brought everyone together and it was the only stuff you could play at Homecoming or Prom night that didn't cause half the school to walk out and go smoke a joint in their car.

On a side note, nothing is worse than you've got rap or reggaeton on at your house party and somebody decides to turn it off and start playing some depressing wailing love song on their acoustic guitar and expect everyone to listen to them. At least have the lyrics be really dirty and funny so everyone can laugh or drink along or something.

I've been to multiple house parties where acoustic guitar guy started and everyone was just like eff this, and went clubbing. Note to acoustic guitar people: Not everyone digs that ****, especially if 60% of the party is black, brown, and yellow.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1626 on: October 13, 2016, 04:05:26 PM »

On a side note, nothing is worse than you've got rap or reggaeton on at your house party and somebody decides to turn it off and start playing some depressing wailing love song on their acoustic guitar and expect everyone to listen to them. At least have the lyrics be really dirty and funny so everyone can laugh or drink along or something.

I've been to multiple house parties where acoustic guitar guy started and everyone was just like eff this, and went clubbing. Note to acoustic guitar people: Not everyone digs that ****, especially if 60% of the party is black, brown, and yellow.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1627 on: October 13, 2016, 04:12:31 PM »
Anyway, here's Wonderwall. (I have a lot of house parties and my friends always beg me to play it for everyone.)

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #1628 on: October 13, 2016, 04:16:22 PM »

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1629 on: October 14, 2016, 07:34:20 AM »
I used to work in a large office back home so I'm used to that "it's not my job" attitude that so many people had.  They would never do anything to help you if it was a millimetre outside of their job description.

But at least in the UK no one ever actually said to my face "it's not my job".

Another one of those times when I can't believe what I'm hearing. 

Online Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1630 on: October 14, 2016, 07:50:40 AM »
But like, how many times when you've been eating breakfast have you needed to know when the next subway was coming, or how to get a bus from your current location to where you want to go, or when the last bus or subway is running? Or find a decent restaurant? Or enter an expense in your budget for that coffee you probably just bought using literal physical cash?

Like, I don't need a phone for checking my FB every minute, but like, I need internet access when I'm outside the house doing things and being productive a lot more than I need it when I'm at home relaxing.

What gets me is that it's perfectly possible to do all the things the anti-smartphone crowd says we should do instead of being glued to our phones whether or not we have a smart phone. Having a smartphone in my pocket doesn't mean I have to look at it instead of enjoying the scenery or having a conversation with a friend. If a person can't do anything without his nose stuck to his phone, the problem isn't the phone, it's the person. I'd much rather be out enjoying the scenery while having a smartphone in case something comes up than the alternative.

Semi-related: It's a bit like when people complain about social media. If someone is annoyed by all the e-drama and lame posts he sees, the problem isn't FB. The problem is the annoying people he's friends with.  :laugh:

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1631 on: October 14, 2016, 07:53:31 AM »

There are 250 different kinds of Kimchi!! Whyyyyyy?! D:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1632 on: October 14, 2016, 07:56:31 AM »

And 100+ yet to be discovered. It's like pokemon. There were a number of original kinds and then another generation created more and now they're learning to just pickle anything.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1633 on: October 14, 2016, 08:49:51 AM »

And 100+ yet to be discovered. It's like pokemon. There were a number of original kinds and then another generation created more and now they're learning to just pickle anything.

When you explain it like that, it makes me start liking Kimchi - even if I would never eat it because I don't love the taste. I love Pokemon! :D (Nice sandshrew picture btw! My favourite Pokemon is a 3 way tie between: Tyranitar, Darkrai, and Greninja! I love dark types!)

Offline Falling_Sky

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1634 on: October 14, 2016, 09:25:37 AM »
My Grade 3's came into my classroom with banners and signs saying '우리 말' and '한글' shouting 'No English'.

It was kinda funny, and was meant in jest I believe...but it also felt a little uncomfortable and sad.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1635 on: October 14, 2016, 09:27:52 AM »
My Grade 3's came into my classroom with banners and signs saying '우리 말' and '한글' shouting 'No English'.

It was kinda funny, and was meant in jest I believe...but it also felt a little uncomfortable and sad.

Let's just hope the homeroom teachers weren't involved in that.

Offline Falling_Sky

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1636 on: October 14, 2016, 09:29:50 AM »

I assume she was,as the signs were made under her watch in her classroom.

Strange thing is - her English is really good, and the kids love English. I believe it genuinely was made in good humour....but it felt all sorts of wrong.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1637 on: October 14, 2016, 09:39:18 AM »

And they wonder why English education is failing in Korea :cry:

Yeah. That's something I might smile at while at the same time feel a pit in my stomach.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 11:16:27 AM by donovan »

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #1638 on: October 14, 2016, 09:46:26 AM »

Strange thing is - her English is really good, and the kids love English. I believe it genuinely was made in good humour....but it felt all sorts of wrong.

I don't really see the humour  :sad:

Seems like a weird way to greet the English teacher. Hopefully there's a little more context to this story than what we see here.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1639 on: October 14, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »

If I were you, I would probably express to them that something like that is kind of hurtful. After all, you wouldn't want them to think they can keep doing it.