November 24, 2017, 03:29:54 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 571376 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1600 on: October 13, 2016, 02:14:06 PM »
People who compulsively look at their phone to the point of not being able to carry a conversation drive me nuts, but I also can't wrap my head around people who are like, "I don't even need a phone at all, because I like to live in the present and look at birds and smell people and stuff like that. I use an antique flip phone and even that's more tech horsepower than I need, because I'm not a slave to a pocket rectangle."

Totally agree. Things like messenging and maps are so essential to life now, as are phones themselves.

I'm so glad I took a nice long vacation from it though. The main concern I had was not being able to live now without it, and it also ruining social experiences in a group.

There's definitely a healthy balance that a lot of people can't seem to find, and I still think it swings towards the neo-luddite flip phone crowd. hahaha

But yeah, slef righteous, look at the birds and be happy people are insufferable, too. That's why I mentioned that I didn't want to sound self righteous, even though I knew I would. hahaha

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #1601 on: October 13, 2016, 02:14:46 PM »
JR,

I have yet to work for a school district where that wasn't listed within the "Code of Conduct" that all employees had to sign.

Do you have any of your students sit on your lap?

Seriously, this has really got me "spun" to read some of the nonsense here.

I pray you are trolling.

I can only imagine all of the other inappropriate things that some do.

Yeah, but only at Christmas and I wear a fake white beard

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1602 on: October 13, 2016, 02:16:42 PM »
What about candy corn flavored stuff? Like candy corn Oreos?

Those exist??? Oof.  Well at least they're in the vanilla oreo cookie. The only oreos I care for are either the vanilla ones or the mint ones.

Candy corn lurk everywhere, even where you wouldn't expect them to be.

So are you saying you would try a candy corn flavored oreo?

I would try it and promptly hate myself for it. I enjoy the novelty of trying new things and as horrific as this sounds, there's assuredly worse.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1603 on: October 13, 2016, 02:16:42 PM »
People who compulsively look at their phone to the point of not being able to carry a conversation drive me nuts, but I also can't wrap my head around people who are like, "I don't even need a phone at all, because I like to live in the present and look at birds and smell people and stuff like that. I use an antique flip phone and even that's more tech horsepower than I need, because I'm not a slave to a pocket rectangle."

There's absolutely zero denying that having access to such a staggering amount of information as what's on the internet is a vast improvement over not having that. Before I got a smartphone, I had to rely on a physical book to translate things when I first came to Korea. I had to carry physical maps of the subway lines. I had to carry a separate camera if I wanted to take a decent picture. If I didn't have things like that with me, I had to waste tons of time looking for stuff, figuring out how to go somewhere, etc etc.

With a phone, you can just find the answer and then spend your time doing something you actually enjoy.

Like, imagine you had to meet a friend for dinner. They told you where they are, but you're not sure how to get there. What's better? 1) Wander around trying to find them for an hour, or 2) Just go directly to them.

Gosh.

Fun fact: a guy cancelled our date because I wanted to meet a little later to charge my phone, so it wouldn't die when I was on the subway leaving me no way to contact him if we had an issue meeting up.

Honestly the only thing worse than people who are completely glued to their phones are the people who act like the massive convenience of our current technology is nothing more than a frivolity.

Oh... oh. That's it. That's the best post.

Moonbrie, you articulated that so much better and more eloquently than I ever could've. Smartphones are so #based because it literally gives you access to the collective knowledge and resources of the entire population. That's pretty neat.

Now all we need to do is integrate it with biology so we don't even have to carry the thing around.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1604 on: October 13, 2016, 02:20:31 PM »
What about candy corn flavored stuff? Like candy corn Oreos?

Those exist??? Oof.  Well at least they're in the vanilla oreo cookie. The only oreos I care for are either the vanilla ones or the mint ones.

Candy corn lurk everywhere, even where you wouldn't expect them to be.

So are you saying you would try a candy corn flavored oreo?

I would try it and promptly hate myself for it. I enjoy the novelty of trying new things and as horrific as this sounds, there's assuredly worse.

xD

I don't like it by itself, it has a distinctly sweet-wax flavor to it that I can't get used to, but they've been bringing it back every year since its intro so I guess there are people out there who like to eat their way into self-loathing during the Halloween month.

But it's bearable when crushed in ice cream. You can pretend that it belongs in your mouth that way.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1605 on: October 13, 2016, 02:20:46 PM »
JR,

I have yet to work for a school district where that wasn't listed within the "Code of Conduct" that all employees had to sign.

Do you have any of your students sit on your lap?

Seriously, this has really got me "spun" to read some of the nonsense here.

I pray you are trolling.

I can only imagine all of the other inappropriate things that some do.

Yeah, but only at Christmas and I wear a fake white beard
Thank you! I'm glad to know you were simply trolling.

You really had me going there.

It takes all kinds and is hard to read others attempt at "taking the piss" out of others.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1606 on: October 13, 2016, 02:21:07 PM »
Let's get back off topic here:

Is there anything worse than people who insist that the only 'real' music is more than a few decades old, and that 'all this modern stuff isn't even music'?

Seriously. The worst. Do I enjoy classic rock? Yes, I do. Is classic rock the Platonic ideal of music? No. Is a Brittney Spears or 2NE1 track in any way 'less' musical than, say, Abbey Road? No. Is Abbey Road a better album? Probably, yeah. Is that in any way due to its age, or the fact that it has lots of guitars and no computers were involved in making it? No.

Seriously - people who think any music that isn't a couple guitars, drums, and a bass is somehow inferior are the most insufferable.

Also, Kanye West is one of the most talented artists of the past decade.

But I turn on mainstream radio and it's all pop! There's no good music anymore...................

Don't you know the collective population of the world listened to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin back in the 70s? Now the collective population of the world listens to Kesha and Iggy Azalea.

#lewronggeneration #whycantIbea60yearoldrightnow?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1607 on: October 13, 2016, 02:21:42 PM »

Honestly the only thing worse than people who are completely glued to their phones are the people who act like the massive convenience of our current technology is nothing more than a frivolity.

Oh... oh. That's it. That's the best post.

Moonbrie, you articulated that so much better and more eloquently than I ever could've. Smartphones are so #based because it literally gives you access to the collective knowledge and resources of the entire population. That's pretty neat.

omg I've been complimented by #basedcowboyshirt

my day is made haha

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1608 on: October 13, 2016, 02:22:39 PM »
Call it the JYP effect. I feel like he just comes off as old and creepy here. The song itself sounds dated. He's definitely lost his mojo.

(JYP Music Video)

Yeah, he got a lot of flack for that music vid from the global community, but a lot of the criticism was because he kept talking about nicely-built round asses and the women he used in the vid were basically concave down there. Like only one of them had a legit ass, and she wasn't the one they kept focusing on.

When he was questioned about this criticism, he commented something along the lines of, "I don't like girls with big butts." And the follow-up was, "Yeah, well, you apparently prefer girls with no butts."

ANYWAY, I think he's pretty creepy.

It's one of my guilty pleasure songs, like "Blurred Lines". It's just so catchy I can't help but like it, but ....  :lipsrsealed: :cry:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1609 on: October 13, 2016, 02:26:26 PM »
If you think there's no good music, you ain't trying.

Best song of 2016 (thus far)

Best Song of 2015

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1610 on: October 13, 2016, 02:36:31 PM »
It's one of my guilty pleasure songs, like "Blurred Lines". It's just so catchy I can't help but like it, but ....  :lipsrsealed: :cry:

You and a couple of my friends. One also can't help but love the song "Get Low". She hates herself for it, but that's her reality. xD

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1611 on: October 13, 2016, 02:38:52 PM »
If you think there's no good music, you ain't trying.

Best song of 2016 (thus far)

Best Song of 2015

Literally, I just can't listen to Tame Impala. My friends back all dig it, and while I don't dislike them at all, it just doesn't trigger any feeling in my brain at all. Like, absolutely 100% forgettable to me.

Also, how do you embed youtube videos? I'm bad.

I don't know if you care, but it's not them, it's just him, hahaha. One man making all that brouhaha.

When you want to embed just copy the link address, paste it into your comment and highlight it.  Hit the "Insert Hyperlink" button, it's under the italicize button. (The globe with the sheet of paper.) It will say https://, delete the s in the address you're using. DONE

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1612 on: October 13, 2016, 02:42:05 PM »
Call it the JYP effect. I feel like he just comes off as old and creepy here. The song itself sounds dated. He's definitely lost his mojo.

(JYP Music Video)

Yeah, he got a lot of flack for that music vid from the global community, but a lot of the criticism was because he kept talking about nicely-built round asses and the women he used in the vid were basically concave down there. Like only one of them had a legit ass, and she wasn't the one they kept focusing on.

When he was questioned about this criticism, he commented something along the lines of, "I don't like girls with big butts." And the follow-up was, "Yeah, well, you apparently prefer girls with no butts."

ANYWAY, I think he's pretty creepy.

UGH MY F'ING GOD I CANNOT STAND JYP. He's a piece-of-s*** human being who tries too hard to be sexy but is actually just creepy as hell and looks like Dr. Frankenstein's monster. JYP can go to hell.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1613 on: October 13, 2016, 02:43:36 PM »
But like, how many times when you've been eating breakfast have you needed to know when the next subway was coming, or how to get a bus from your current location to where you want to go, or when the last bus or subway is running? Or find a decent restaurant? Or enter an expense in your budget for that coffee you probably just bought using literal physical cash?

Like, I don't need a phone for checking my FB every minute, but like, I need internet access when I'm outside the house doing things and being productive a lot more than I need it when I'm at home relaxing.

I am not denying the usefulness of smartphones for some things for people.  But as my life is in a small city in rural Korea, we have no subway, I have a car, so these are things that don't really affect me.  Before I go on holiday I can do checks on what we can do and things to do from the internet at home or school.  But I also like the adventure and unknown side of things once we are there.  Also, I'm not wanting to sound like one of them self-righteous ones either.  I couldn't give a poop.

My wife has all these things.  I love her Kakaotalk thing whereby she gets messages from her friends, but they are Anipang invites or some game thing.  No actual meaningful contact.

As for expense on my budget?   :huh:  Erm, I have no budget. 

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1614 on: October 13, 2016, 02:46:05 PM »
This is late, and I am quite obviously in the minority, but I love candy corn. I'm having my mom send me a package of them, haha. I also want to try a few of those candy corn flavored things in the article that was linked...

ALso, JYP is gross and that song was even more so.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1615 on: October 13, 2016, 02:51:01 PM »
Just testing the instructions by CO2 to see if it works.

Edit: It works!! Thank you! :laugh:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1616 on: October 13, 2016, 02:56:17 PM »
Every Powerpoint you take,
Every health comment you make,
Every comment chain you break,
I'll be watching you

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1617 on: October 13, 2016, 03:02:16 PM »
She just can't keep herself from bugging me, though, apparently.

On our way up to the classroom, she told me she thinks it's inappropriate to bring coffee to the classroom. I've been here 7 months and no one, including her, ever said anything about it being bad to bring coffee to the classroom before today. Actually, she used to bring me coffee to my classroom.

Your coT is full of it. Maybe she has control issues and thus feels the need to nitpick on you? Or maybe she spilled something and has now decided it's inappropriate.

One time a coT spilled her tea all over my lesson plans. At least it wasn't coffee. Hasn't stopped her from bringing drinks to the classroom(s).

I don't know your co teacher, but I can picture them thinking this: It was only on the NET's lesson plans, so nothing important.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1618 on: October 13, 2016, 03:02:40 PM »
Every Powerpoint you take,
Every health comment you make,
Every comment chain you break,
I'll be watching you

This is seriously my favorite post so far. I'm quoting you just so I can find this again later because it's going to be in my sig someday in the future.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1619 on: October 13, 2016, 03:04:04 PM »
rant: part of our ongoing construction hell is that there are TWO MISSING WALLS that lead to the outside on floors 2 and 3

it's getting cold

when are they going to finish

never

construction hell forever