September 21, 2017, 09:36:40 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 485080 times)

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1600 on: October 13, 2016, 01:18:06 PM »
Rant: I haven't been to the gym in a week because I haven't been able to make it there in the morning before work due to reasons, and I'm really feeling it now.

I'm seriously considering just going in after work instead. It would be so much easier on my schedule.

But the last time I did this it was extremely uncomfortable because of all the ajjeosshis. They're pretty bold when there's a bunch of them around. I really need to recruit a workout partner, preferably a man.

@ gidget: That's some super childish and petty bullshit, and I'm so sorry that you have to deal with that. Where's Nanny McPhee when you need her?

By the sounds of it, though, even with being rightly upset about it, you're handling the situation fairly well.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:20:00 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1601 on: October 13, 2016, 01:29:03 PM »
Rant: I haven't been to the gym in a week because I haven't been able to make it there in the morning before work due to reasons, and I'm really feeling it now.

I'm seriously considering just going in after work instead. It would be so much easier on my schedule.

But the last time I did this it was extremely uncomfortable because of all the ajjeosshis. They're pretty bold when there's a bunch of them around. I really need to recruit a workout partner, preferably a man.

I always went to my gym after work. There were a lot of ahjeosshis, but they basically all left me alone. A lot of them would look at me because the females never really did much but walk on the treadmill, bot otherwise, I just had one guy (who ended up being the owner) show me how to use a machine more appropriately- according to him.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1602 on: October 13, 2016, 01:44:50 PM »
Finally catching the cold that the other three people in my office has had. The admonishment from one of them - "be careful" - hasn't done shit for my immune system oddly enough. How about just don't show up? Ugh.   >:(

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1603 on: October 13, 2016, 01:45:42 PM »
I always went to my gym after work. There were a lot of ahjeosshis, but they basically all left me alone. A lot of them would look at me because the females never really did much but walk on the treadmill, bot otherwise, I just had one guy (who ended up being the owner) show me how to use a machine more appropriately- according to him.

Yeah, I've been told similar things about the other gyms around here by other ladies, and they never really have too many problems, but there's just something about the guys at my gym that aren't as harmless.

I don't know if it has to do with the area or the community or whatever, but these guys hover around me, try to "sneak" peeks down my shirt or at my crotch (I had to drape a towel across my lap because of this), a few try to chat me up and it's pretty damn clear that they're bothering me but they never take the hint, and it's all just super weird and annoying. The owner notices but doesn't say anything.

I don't have this problem in the morning because there aren't as many of these types of guys around then and the ahjummas keep those few who are in line.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1604 on: October 13, 2016, 01:53:10 PM »

...but these guys hover around me, try to "sneak" peeks down my shirt or at my crotch (I had to drape a towel across my lap because of this), a few try to chat me up and it's pretty damn clear that they're bothering me but they never take the hint, and it's all just super weird and annoying. The owner notices but doesn't say anything.

I am livid just reading this. And of course I'm sure you're the wanton foreigner-whore who is reveling in their attention. Fuuuuuuck these men.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1605 on: October 13, 2016, 01:55:47 PM »

...but these guys hover around me, try to "sneak" peeks down my shirt or at my crotch (I had to drape a towel across my lap because of this), a few try to chat me up and it's pretty damn clear that they're bothering me but they never take the hint, and it's all just super weird and annoying. The owner notices but doesn't say anything.

I am livid just reading this. And of course I'm sure you're the wanton foreigner-whore who is reveling in their attention. Fuuuuuuck these men.

Right? I just want my own posse of ahjummas. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1606 on: October 13, 2016, 02:00:25 PM »

That's what they want.  :)

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1607 on: October 13, 2016, 02:15:12 PM »
i never understood the need to have two teachers in the same classroom

I kinda see it as more if an assiastant type thing. Idk about the US but in the U.K. It's common in primary school to have a teaching assistant (the school I worked at in the uk had pm one assistant per class for lower years and then one or two assistants per unit in upper juniors). One teacher can't meet the needs of 30 kids and at early years it's important to meet their needs as much as possible. English is a subject with huge disparity in levels, one foreign teacher is not going to be able to meet the needs of 30 kids who range from barely knowing the alphabet to being able to have conversations, considering we teach 100% in English and often don't have enough Korean to explain stuff to the lower level students. In my classes I view my Korean teacher as a teaching assistant type role, there to help lower level students.

The problem with this is that the Korean teacher doesn't always take the innitiative to assist lower level students, and the way classes are set up and typically run (and the fact we teach 20-22 different classes of around 30 students once a week for 40 minutes with no system of tracking students' progress or weaknesses) it's hard to run differentiated tasks, so you can't ask the KT to work with the lower level students because you will have a handful in the class sat at opposite sides of the classroom.
Alternatively we can take an assistant role, if your KT prefers to be leading the class (lol)

Yea I agree with this.

In fact, I'm stunned by the amount of people here who apparently teach without a CT even in the room. 

I don't mean classroom management, I mean how do you actually teach the material without any translation?  Do elementary and middle school textbooks have Korean in them or are they written completely in English?

The students really suffer in these cases and it's due to my coteachers' laziness.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1608 on: October 13, 2016, 02:29:35 PM »
Does anyone elses school just take money out of your Bank without asking?

I got asked to go on a school trip next week, which I said yes to. I wasn't told I had to pay for myself. They took 55,000 won, without even asking me or telling me. It's not a lot. No big deal. But surely if you ask someone if they want to go on the trip you would mention 'oh btw you need to pay x amount' not just take it from my account?

Don't know how comfortable I am with that to be honest, that they can just access my money like that.

Two accounts. One for pay and then transfer it over.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1609 on: October 13, 2016, 02:32:02 PM »
I wouldn't want our children (if we had any) to ever be alone with some of the folks brought over here to "teach".  It's frightening.

because having your child alone with a korean teacher who frequents room salons, gets blasted on soju every night, never comes prepared for class because they're 'SO BUSY', and might well end up sexually assaulting your child (i think everyone is aware of the preference a vast number of korean men have for children) is a much more appealing prospect?
Hold up!

Koby, don't get it twisted.  There is NEVER a time when any student should be ALONE with any "teacher" or teacher.

That is covered in great detail when completing one's teacher certification.

Door open.  Have a colleague or another student in the room, etc.  One needs to protect themselves from any perceived impropriety.

When I have my after school class, and only one student shows up, we do the class in the teachers' office, where other teachers are.

Got it?

BTW, I totally agree with your comments about Korean teachers.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1610 on: October 13, 2016, 02:47:52 PM »

That's what they want.  :)

You're right.

They can go f*ck themselves. Works better for everyone.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1611 on: October 13, 2016, 03:04:11 PM »

That's miserable. Guys are gross.

When I used to go to the gym regularly, which was a poor, community health center gym full of olds, they had a separate floor for women and men. Of course, the women's floor only had hula hoops and tread mills, while all the free weights and machines were in the men's section.

Still, creeping on someone when they're trying to work out is so uncool.

Speaking of the gym, I used to go three to four times every week for about 3 years in a row.

Then I started working at a school where I was worked to exhaustion every day and haven't been to the gym in about two and a half years. And now I'm fat. It sucks. Starting again is so hard.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1612 on: October 13, 2016, 03:21:31 PM »

Right? I just want my own posse of ahjummas. I don't think that's too much to ask.

maybe check if there's a "women's only" gym near where you are. seems to be a few of these these days. probably due to the situation you described.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1613 on: October 13, 2016, 03:23:02 PM »

When I used to go to the gym regularly, which was a poor, community health center gym full of olds, they had a separate floor for women and men. Of course, the women's floor only had hula hoops and tread mills, while all the free weights and machines were in the men's section.

Speaking of the gym, I used to go three to four times every week for about 3 years in a row.

Then I started working at a school where I was worked to exhaustion every day and haven't been to the gym in about two and a half years. And now I'm fat. It sucks. Starting again is so hard.
Wow, that really is super gross. Have you tried later at night instead of right after school? I feel like more younger people would be there and therefore maybe less problems.

@basedcowboyshirt- It really is. I had to have 3 shoulder surgeries at the end of last year and the beginning half of this year and had to stop going to the gym because of it. Now I'm all cleared for working out, but starting back into the practice is so dang hard. That combined with the fact that I don't pay for the gym anymore since I can use my school gym really takes away motivation.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1614 on: October 13, 2016, 03:25:40 PM »

I've never worked out. I was just naturally skinny. And then a couple years ago I started getting "womanly", but now I'm just getting fat. Starting for the first time is also freaking hard.

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #1615 on: October 13, 2016, 03:31:59 PM »
Talking about gyms ...

I don't know about anybody elses gym but in mine the Koreans do f**k all! Literally walk on the treadmill slower than you would walk normally? Lift weights that literally take no effort what so ever. I'm not sure what most of them think they are achieving from their workouts. Most of their time is spent flicking between channels on the tele. I see some ridiculous stuff, like playing games on their phones in between sets. Seriously can you just not play the game for an hour or so haha!

Saying that though, the older generation here seme a lot more active than the one back home in U.K. most people hit 55 and thats it become a cabbage. Here, I see them out hiking, walking (sometimes backwards, I thought I was seeing life in rewind when I first saw this), stretching and there are a lot more public exercise equipment in parks etc than back home. Although I fail to see the point of a lot of the machines you see, kind of just swing your body around  haha but I suppose it's something!

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1616 on: October 13, 2016, 03:31:59 PM »
Perhaps you need to look in the mirror.
Not sure why you take issue with my post.

Not everyone here knows how to be professional or understands what is appropriate behavior inside and outside of the classroom.

Some are better, some are worse, either way, I have seen my share of "crazy" here since '95.

You are probably too young or too new, but they used to hire folks with fake degrees, criminal records, and substance abuse problems when the demand for EFL was at its peak.

Again, I didn't say "all" or "most", I said "some", OK?

BTW, I'm not Korean, so I rarely look in the mirror.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1617 on: October 13, 2016, 03:32:45 PM »
I wouldn't want our children (if we had any) to ever be alone with some of the folks brought over here to "teach".  It's frightening.

because having your child alone with a korean teacher who frequents room salons, gets blasted on soju every night, never comes prepared for class because they're 'SO BUSY', and might well end up sexually assaulting your child (i think everyone is aware of the preference a vast number of korean men have for children) is a much more appealing prospect?
Hold up!

Koby, don't get it twisted.  There is NEVER a time when any student should be ALONE with any "teacher" or teacher.

That is covered in great detail when completing one's teacher certification.

Door open.  Have a colleague or another student in the room, etc.  One needs to protect themselves from any perceived impropriety.

When I have my after school class, and only one student shows up, we do the class in the teachers' office, where other teachers are.

Got it?

BTW, I totally agree with your comments about Korean teachers.

Are you joking?

Do the other teachers look at you like you're mental when you're having your class in the middle of their office?

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1618 on: October 13, 2016, 03:38:27 PM »
I'm only 5'10", and I used to weigh about 180lbs when I was in university.

I managed to get my weight down to 140 in my first few years here, and now it's back up to about 155, and I feel disgusting.

None of my pants fit comfortably, I'm too big for small shirts, and mediums are too big and fit poorly.

This is all just whining. But it sucks when you go from fat, to reasonably fit, back to kind of fat again.

And yeah - I know if I go back to the gym, I'm going to be so pissed off that all the lifts and stuff I'm doing are like 50% of what I was doing when I was in shape.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1619 on: October 13, 2016, 03:43:02 PM »
Do they take it out of your salary each month or take it out of your actual bank account?

I suppose they could have helped you to set up a direct debit for school lunches but how could they have taken money for the school trip directly from your bank account?  A bit worrying  :huh:

Mine does the same thing, but it's usually like 10,000 so I don't worry about it, but come to think of it, yeah how is that possible?  They also occasionally give me odd sums of money and I have no idea why.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment