November 19, 2017, 01:41:34 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 563766 times)

Offline jomi

• Veteran
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1500 on: October 13, 2016, 07:16:51 AM »
i never understood the need to have two teachers in the same classroom

I kinda see it as more if an assiastant type thing. Idk about the US but in the U.K. It's common in primary school to have a teaching assistant (the school I worked at in the uk had pm one assistant per class for lower years and then one or two assistants per unit in upper juniors). One teacher can't meet the needs of 30 kids and at early years it's important to meet their needs as much as possible. English is a subject with huge disparity in levels, one foreign teacher is not going to be able to meet the needs of 30 kids who range from barely knowing the alphabet to being able to have conversations, considering we teach 100% in English and often don't have enough Korean to explain stuff to the lower level students. In my classes I view my Korean teacher as a teaching assistant type role, there to help lower level students.

The problem with this is that the Korean teacher doesn't always take the innitiative to assist lower level students, and the way classes are set up and typically run (and the fact we teach 20-22 different classes of around 30 students once a week for 40 minutes with no system of tracking students' progress or weaknesses) it's hard to run differentiated tasks, so you can't ask the KT to work with the lower level students because you will have a handful in the class sat at opposite sides of the classroom.
Alternatively we can take an assistant role, if your KT prefers to be leading the class (lol)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1501 on: October 13, 2016, 07:44:49 AM »
I mean, again, being a teacher here isn't really where I harvest my self-worth so it's fine. But why am I even wasting my voice? Why can't we just sit in relative silence, and follow the wisdom of "let's not and say we did?"

This is how I feel about some of my classes too. Honestly I feel like the best advice for people who want to teach in Korea is: If you actually care about teaching... don't come. Haha.

I was super stressed and depressed towards the beginning of my time here because even though I was doing my best I quickly realized that my classes don't really "matter" to my kids' education. Then I started throwing myself into some new hobbies and I feel much better about myself.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1502 on: October 13, 2016, 07:47:49 AM »

Not to put anybody down, but consider this from the parent's perspective.

NETs do not usually have training as teachers, so there is only one teacher in the classroom.

Right. There always needs to be a (certified) teacher in the classroom for legal/liability issues. I imagine it would also prevent schools from taking unfair advantage in the hiring of temporary workers over permanent employees.

And just think of all the AIDS being spread if foreigners were allowed to be unsupervised with children.
Why, oh why. Why did you have to take it there?

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1503 on: October 13, 2016, 07:51:30 AM »

Not to put anybody down, but consider this from the parent's perspective.

NETs do not usually have training as teachers, so there is only one teacher in the classroom.

Right. There always needs to be a (certified) teacher in the classroom for legal/liability issues. I imagine it would also prevent schools from taking unfair advantage in the hiring of temporary workers over permanent employees.

And just think of all the AIDS being spread if foreigners were allowed to be unsupervised with children.
Why, oh why. Why did you have to take it there?

Sorry. Just trying to point out the often unreasonable and unwarranted distrust and discomfort a lot of people have with foreigners here. I wasn't sure if anyone had pointed that out on the forum here before.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1504 on: October 13, 2016, 07:53:48 AM »

I kinda see it as more if an assiastant type thing. Idk about the US but in the U.K. It's common in primary school to have a teaching assistant (the school I worked at in the uk had pm one assistant per class for lower years and then one or two assistants per unit in upper juniors). One teacher can't meet the needs of 30 kids and at early years it's important to meet their needs as much as possible. English is a subject with huge disparity in levels, one foreign teacher is not going to be able to meet the needs of 30 kids who range from barely knowing the alphabet to being able to have conversations, considering we teach 100% in English and often don't have enough Korean to explain stuff to the lower level students. In my classes I view my Korean teacher as a teaching assistant type role, there to help lower level students.

The problem with this is that the Korean teacher doesn't always take the innitiative to assist lower level students, and the way classes are set up and typically run (and the fact we teach 20-22 different classes of around 30 students once a week for 40 minutes with no system of tracking students' progress or weaknesses) it's hard to run differentiated tasks, so you can't ask the KT to work with the lower level students because you will have a handful in the class sat at opposite sides of the classroom.
Alternatively we can take an assistant role, if your KT prefers to be leading the class (lol)

Yea I agree with this.

In fact, I'm stunned by the amount of people here who apparently teach without a CT even in the room. 

I don't mean classroom management, I mean how do you actually teach the material without any translation?  Do elementary and middle school textbooks have Korean in them or are they written completely in English?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1505 on: October 13, 2016, 07:55:37 AM »
I'm not the tidiest person. I know that. My desk might be the messiest in the whole office. I usually leave the textbooks and papers/materials I'm using for the week on the desk top, rather than putting them in the cubby. I was feeling recently that it was a bit too messy, though, and planned to clean it today since I only have 3 classes and plenty of free time.

Horrifically, I came to school to find someone had cleaned my desk. How embarrassing. I knew it was a mess and I planned to clean it today, but now I can't even redeem myself. My boss said she had thought about telling me to clean it, but hadn't, because (in a rare moment of tact and self-restraint) she thought I wouldn't like being told to clean up like a child.

Can anyone guess who cleaned my desk? Yes, that's right, it was the principal. Now I feel like I'm supposed to thank her but actually it's just kinda.........  :undecided:

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1506 on: October 13, 2016, 07:57:15 AM »
Anybody have students who stare at them in a way that transcends the "you're a foreigner" gaze? I'm talking mouth open, blank expression, kind of like you just gave birth to a golden retriever? I can let a lot roll off my back but this look just unsettles me to my core.

This is making me think of those cringe-worthy moments when the students are either particularly unresponsive or unruly and then you have those two or three students, usually girls, who try even harder to be on their best behavior to make up for everyone else and you can tell they kind of feel sorry for you and you're simultaneously mortified and mentally panicking. This happens to me at least twice a semester. There are bad days and then there are those kinds of days. Does this happen to anyone else? Where the good students feel bad for you on the days when you lose control? :sad: :blank:

Yes, like you said it's almost always the girls and the looks they give me say something like, "Teacher! Please don't make me sit next to these maniacs." It makes me feel worse because you can tell they are interested in learning and the rest of the class is screwing off. These situations seem to be happening more to me lately.  Maybe cos the year is coming to an end soon. I don't know.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1507 on: October 13, 2016, 07:59:11 AM »
I don't mean classroom management, I mean how do you actually teach the material without any translation?  Do elementary and middle school textbooks have Korean in them or are they written completely in English?

:P :P :P :P :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Fu*k no.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1508 on: October 13, 2016, 08:01:15 AM »

Fu*k no.

My middle school textbooks are written completely in English

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1509 on: October 13, 2016, 08:03:32 AM »
Yea I agree with this.

In fact, I'm stunned by the amount of people here who apparently teach without a CT even in the room. 

I think it depends on what is expected from their native teacher, and whether they are expected to go through the textbook.  Just going through the textbook page by page would need a co-teacher because a. it is boring and the kids will more than likely start losing interest b. you want all the students to understand everything and there is too much there.

On the other hand, if the native teacher is told to concentrate on the speaking part then they can make their own worksheet and for the class have an understandable introduction, main activity, and other activities after to help reinforce what they learnt.  This is not really dependent on the co-teacher but more on the simplicity of language and delivery by the teacher.  This second way is easily the best as the kids are learning through listening to your instructions and also learning methods that are not usually used in Korean schools. 

It really does depend on the native teachers though, grading your language and keeping things simple.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1510 on: October 13, 2016, 08:06:35 AM »

Fu*k no.

My middle school textbooks are written completely in English

Ah, ok. I was talking about Elementary. The books are like, 70% goddamn English, it's stupid.

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1511 on: October 13, 2016, 08:24:42 AM »

Yea I agree with this.

when would you ever need korean translations? i'm against any use of korean in the classroom, and never had a problem with understanding that couldn't be solved (i used to teach on my own when i worked for smoe)

i'd argue that textbooks should always be 100% english too

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1512 on: October 13, 2016, 08:39:50 AM »

Yea I agree with this.

when would you ever need korean translations? i'm against any use of korean in the classroom, and never had a problem with understanding that couldn't be solved (i used to teach on my own when i worked for smoe)

I would normally agree, but I really do think there are a few times when a translation is needed. Usually, it can get taken care of by the upper level students in the class, but sometimes it's just too tricky. However, that does then depend on what level the KT is too...

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1513 on: October 13, 2016, 08:41:23 AM »

Yea I agree with this.

I suppose I only know what I've experienced personally.  Standing in front of students that understand maybe 5% of everything I say (even with heavy, heavy grading) and can't answer questions like "What did you do last night" without me prompting them every step of the way for their answer.

That's why I think translation is absolutely essential.

100% English just doesn't work in many situations (like mine).

For example, how would you teach "You should have/You shouldn't have..." to students who don't understand a word you're saying and with no CT in the room?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1514 on: October 13, 2016, 08:44:14 AM »

Yea I agree with this.

I suppose I only know what I've experienced personally.  Standing in front of students that understand maybe 5% of everything I say (even with heavy, heavy grading) and can't answer questions like "What did you do last night" without me prompting them every step of the way for their answer.

That's why I think translation is absolutely essential.

100% English just doesn't work in many situations (like mine).

For example, how would you teach "You should have/You shouldn't have..." to students who don't understand a word you're saying and with no CT in the room?
Yeah, I have been in these situations too, even at my high school where some of them have a vocabulary of maybe 20 words. There is no way those kids will do anything without a translation.

gidget

« Reply #1515 on: October 13, 2016, 08:50:31 AM »
This is a sullen vent: CT left and I have had to suddenly teach with the homeroom teachers.

There was a week and a half of discussion before we started teaching together and in that week and a half, about 4 times a day, I had to hear, "The homeroom teachers say they hate English, they don't want to speak it, they don't want to teach it, they hate that you're in the school and they hate you."

I've been here long enough to... accept... their dislike of English, but to suddenly turn around and say they hate me? I pointed out that was unfair, insulting and very cruel to say. I was told the teachers didn't mean they hated me personally, they just hated the idea of me because I represented everything English. That I had to understand the teachers' feelings and that I should understand that Korean teachers don't want to teach English. Because they hate English.

See? No. Just, no. That, "I hate Gidget" part? That can't be explained away. Don't even bother.

These are adults. We've spoken before, never had problems; they have to teach with me and then they throw their toys out of the cot.
These are hysterical middle-aged adults throwing tempter tantrums. Temper tantrums!

We were told to sit down and talk over how we were going to do things. I offered solutions: we coteach, I lead, they lead, we plan together, I plan alone, we discuss the plan, we don't discuss the plan, we do it on an individual basis according to each individual's preferences... Each. Time. They. Looked. At. Me. They. Shouted. & cried. "어떻게 [I'm not writing the other expletives]! I hate English. I don't want to speak English. I don't want to teach English. I don't want to teach English with Gidget. Why does our school have a native teacher? They could've watched movies. I hate English. I hate Gidget. Can't we do something else? They go to hagwons. The hagwons can teach them!"

Stop overreacting. I don't have leprosy. I have English.  Teaching with me won't kill you.

**Disclaimer:
1. not all the teachers. Just most. Two teachers are still behaving like death is imminent and must be protested against volubly.
2. The vent wasn't as sullen as I thought because I'm more upset than I realised.

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #1516 on: October 13, 2016, 08:51:01 AM »
Does anyone elses school just take money out of your Bank without asking?

I got asked to go on a school trip next week, which I said yes to. I wasn't told I had to pay for myself. They took 55,000 won, without even asking me or telling me. It's not a lot. No big deal. But surely if you ask someone if they want to go on the trip you would mention 'oh btw you need to pay x amount' not just take it from my account?

Don't know how comfortable I am with that to be honest, that they can just access my money like that.

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #1517 on: October 13, 2016, 08:59:16 AM »

I got asked to go on a school trip next week, which I said yes to. I wasn't told I had to pay for myself. They took 55,000 won, without even asking me or telling me. It's not a lot. No big deal. But surely if you ask someone if they want to go on the trip you would mention 'oh btw you need to pay x amount' not just take it from my account?

Don't know how comfortable I am with that to be honest, that they can just access my money like that.

I'm showing my ignorance her, but how is this possible for them to access your account?
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline JackRoxby

• Veteran
« Reply #1518 on: October 13, 2016, 09:05:35 AM »

I'm showing my ignorance her, but how is this possible for them to access your account?

Well they take money out each month for lunch costs. So I guess they just did the same thing they do for that for the school trip money. Just thought they would have told me considering they asked me to go. Weird that I have to pay as well, considering its a 'School trip'

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1519 on: October 13, 2016, 09:09:47 AM »
Do they take it out of your salary each month or take it out of your actual bank account?

I suppose they could have helped you to set up a direct debit for school lunches but how could they have taken money for the school trip directly from your bank account?  A bit worrying  :huh: