December 11, 2017, 08:24:26 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 593941 times)

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1480 on: October 12, 2016, 03:37:16 PM »
Update. The English teacher of the Public School linked with my Ed Center has moved me out of the "office of war". She has given new guidelines as to how work needs to be split, especially considering the unique teaching situation I am in. Yes, you read that correctly. She understands my unique situation.

Anyway, I am extremely grateful to the teacher who intervened, and hopefully the new setup will create a less tension filled environment. Also, considering that my CT told me I was the worst foreigner she had ever met, I really appreciated the other English teacher who said the complete opposite.

It is quite satisfying hearing the printer in my CT's office working to the max, as well as drawers and doors being slammed. Yep, yep. Work work work. Feel the burn.

It's been quite a ride... and it is only Wednesday.

Brilliant news!

I felt for you and am so glad you managed to find one of the many awesome (and more free/open minded)  teachers out there to help. So now you have experienced both ends of the spectrum! Live and learn eh! :)

Okay, so I have just had my CT and the other teacher come back to me and a new proposal is that I work in the classroom, and I only teach 30 minutes of my class, in which time, my CT will not be in the classroom with me (we have never actually had a problem in the classroom, I can't fault her for anything when she is in the classroom) then she will teach for 20 min ALONE, she blatantly stated she WILL NOT have me in the classroom during that time. Okay, I'm down with that.... then they say, so therefore you aren't doing your 22 hours and will have to teach 30 minutes of some of her classes, so I say ok.

But now this raises a question...... If they are considering that only 30 minutes per class goes toward my in class teaching hours (I am required to do min 22 hours as per contract) then I am only completing 17 hours 20 minutes of teaching time. Also all this in and out of my classroom means that I have no where to go when my CT teaches for 20 minutes every class.....

Part of me is grateful, part of me is confused, and part of me is terrified that I am being completely screwed over here.

When I asked my CT why she didn't want me in the classroom, she refused to answer me, staing it is just personal. I just walked into the main office to do printing, because my CT has my classroom for a class right now, and the old pc has been diconnected from the printer.

I am not a conspiracy theorist at all, but something just feels odd with all this.

F*%k I just want things to not be crazy. Is it me.... because I literally am starting to lose my mind and think that this is all me and maybe I just am the problem... I mean here are solutions, shouldn't I just be okay with that?

Sounds like you're getting shafted.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline annataleen

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1481 on: October 12, 2016, 03:47:05 PM »
Update. The English teacher of the Public School linked with my Ed Center has moved me out of the "office of war". She has given new guidelines as to how work needs to be split, especially considering the unique teaching situation I am in. Yes, you read that correctly. She understands my unique situation.

Anyway, I am extremely grateful to the teacher who intervened, and hopefully the new setup will create a less tension filled environment. Also, considering that my CT told me I was the worst foreigner she had ever met, I really appreciated the other English teacher who said the complete opposite.

It is quite satisfying hearing the printer in my CT's office working to the max, as well as drawers and doors being slammed. Yep, yep. Work work work. Feel the burn.

Brilliant news!

I felt for you and am so glad you managed to find one of the many awesome (and more free/open minded)  teachers out there to help. So now you have experienced both ends of the spectrum! Live and learn eh! :)

Okay, so I have just had my CT and the other teacher come back to me and a new proposal is that I work in the classroom, and I only teach 30 minutes of my class, in which time, my CT will not be in the classroom with me (we have never actually had a problem in the classroom, I can't fault her for anything when she is in the classroom) then she will teach for 20 min ALONE, she blatantly stated she WILL NOT have me in the classroom during that time. Okay, I'm down with that.... then they say, so therefore you aren't doing your 22 hours and will have to teach 30 minutes of some of her classes, so I say ok.

But now this raises a question...... If they are considering that only 30 minutes per class goes toward my in class teaching hours (I am required to do min 22 hours as per contract) then I am only completing 17 hours 20 minutes of teaching time. Also all this in and out of my classroom means that I have no where to go when my CT teaches for 20 minutes every class.....

Part of me is grateful, part of me is confused, and part of me is terrified that I am being completely screwed over here.

When I asked my CT why she didn't want me in the classroom, she refused to answer me, staing it is just personal. I just walked into the main office to do printing, because my CT has my classroom for a class right now, and the old pc has been diconnected from the printer.

I am not a conspiracy theorist at all, but something just feels odd with all this.

F*%k I just want things to not be crazy. Is it me.... because I literally am starting to lose my mind and think that this is all me and maybe I just am the problem... I mean here are solutions, shouldn't I just be okay with that?
Usually the 22 hours is just the lesson time. For elementary teachers, it is 40 minutes. Older grades are longer.
I would ask about this, unless you don't want to make waves, then don't.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1482 on: October 12, 2016, 03:49:50 PM »

Brilliant news!

Your CT sounds miserable. It would've been good to suggest that your CT act like a professional grown-up [in politer terms], rather than acting like a complete baby [again, politer terms] but - yeah. This is ridiculous sounding. It's terrible for the students. It's inconvenient for you. And... somehow your coteacher is getting credit for teaching classes when she's only doing 20 minutes after you're finished, meanwhile you're going to have to make up the extra time?

That's a cluster and a half.

Also, putting aside the "you're not teaching a full teaching hour because your co-t is a baby" BS, why are you expected to make up 30 minutes for 20 minutes of lost time??

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1483 on: October 12, 2016, 04:03:27 PM »
Glad to know I'm not the only one but what gets me is that this behavior usually only happens when the co-teacher is not present. It doesn't happen every time I'm alone, but when it does happen, I am always alone. (Lol, this is making me think of that meme: I don't always teach alone, but when I do, chaos ensues. :sad: :sad: :sad:) I mean, I get it. The KT isn't there so to them it feels like there is no teacher but that makes me mad.

Haha yeah I actually prefer teaching alone whenever it happens but I admit, sometimes I hope the kids don't notice it's just us. Kind of like when Wile E. Coyote doesn't realize he's run off a cliff until he looks down. I mean, whatever. I get that my classes don't matter -- no ego about that. I think what burns my biscuit is having to carry on the charade. Had a grade 3 at the very end of the day where they were all allowed to sit with their friends and they were just total shits. Meanwhile, my teaching was really getting in the way of my co-t grading papers in the back of the room.

I mean, again, being a teacher here isn't really where I harvest my self-worth so it's fine. But why am I even wasting my voice? Why can't we just sit in relative silence, and follow the wisdom of "let's not and say we did?"

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1484 on: October 12, 2016, 04:09:39 PM »
@MataHari

That deal sounds ridiculous.  So convoluted! 

So how many periods (the newly proposed 30 minute classes) will you actually be teaching per week now?  I suppose if it's 22 or under then you can't get over it.

But logistically, how is splitting the classes like that going to work?  Are your 30 minutes supposed to supplement what your CT has been teaching and vice versa?

I really feel for you in this situation  :sad:

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1485 on: October 12, 2016, 04:28:39 PM »
To those who write travel blogs:

When you're giving directions to the thing/place/activity, you have to be exact and precise.  It makes me want to smash my laptop to bits when I see things like

"So yea, just go to XXX subway station and take the bus from there!" 

Which exit?  Which bus?  Which direction?

"Walking from XXX just head towards the big crossing, turn right and cross the second road!"

Ok, thanks for the barnstorming directions.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1486 on: October 12, 2016, 04:58:07 PM »
It sounds like you did some irreparable damage, if she doesn't want you to be in the classroom while she is teaching.

What had you done before when she was leading?

What did she do when you were leading?

Would you care to explain how things got so out of hand?

If you are SMOE, you might consider signing-up for the training course for foreigners and their coteachers next week.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #1487 on: October 12, 2016, 05:05:32 PM »
To those who write travel blogs:

When you're giving directions to the thing/place/activity, you have to be exact and precise.  It makes me want to smash my laptop to bits when I see things like

"So yea, just go to XXX subway station and take the bus from there!" 

Which exit?  Which bus?  Which direction?

"Walking from XXX just head towards the big crossing, turn right and cross the second road!"

Ok, thanks for the barnstorming directions.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

AAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

"Go to the store with the chickens and there's a road that's past that. Go straight and then you'll see, like a bus, stop. It's to the left of that."

WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT.

It's the same with a video I saw about street food in Hanoi. It's interesting to some people sure, but I was literally going to Hanoi the following month and it would have been REALLY USEFUL to tag the names of the restos in the description or the address. We all have google maps now, you don't even need to give me the name of the resto to search it, I realise these are holes in the wall in Vietnam, but the address of the building will work every time!

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1488 on: October 12, 2016, 05:22:39 PM »
It's very likely a lot of those bloggers wouldn't for the life of them know how to get back to the place they had stumbled upon.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #1489 on: October 12, 2016, 05:27:04 PM »
It's very likely a lot of those bloggers wouldn't for the life of them know how to get back to the place they had stumbled upon.

On google maps you can star your location and tag it with a personal description. As a blogger, this should be the route to take. Unless you're blogging about bars. That's exempt. hahaha

Online Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1490 on: October 12, 2016, 06:01:48 PM »
Matahari,

What level are you teaching?  Elementary, middle or high?

If you teach 30 minutes and she teaches 20 minutes that would suggest you are high school.  If you are not high school then this makes no sense as it is not possible. 

22 hours teaching does not literally mean 22 hours.  In all my time here I have never heard of teaching added up like that.  Korean teachers in my high school as well as myself, work 50 minutes and breaktime and that is the hour.  I do 18 normal scheduled classes, most other teachers do 14/16 that's it.  SO where they have got this maths from I have no idea, it would seem they don't really understand the contract.  In her mental state, your crazy co-t has come up with something ridiculous that doesn't even seem slightly workable, just in her stupid revenge-ridden head. 

If they insist on this schedule then I don't see any problem with being somewhere else while she is dicking around in the class.  Maybe go to the library or something, or the teachers room. 

But don't panic.  Stay professional and keep doing your job.  Soon winter holidays. 

Offline stevebarker

• Adventurer
« Reply #1491 on: October 12, 2016, 06:26:14 PM »
Anybody have students who stare at them in a way that transcends the "you're a foreigner" gaze? I'm talking mouth open, blank expression, kind of like you just gave birth to a golden retriever? I can let a lot roll off my back but this look just unsettles me to my core.

This is making me think of those cringe-worthy moments when the students are either particularly unresponsive or unruly and then you have those two or three students, usually girls, who try even harder to be on their best behavior to make up for everyone else and you can tell they kind of feel sorry for you and you're simultaneously mortified and mentally panicking. This happens to me at least twice a semester. There are bad days and then there are those kinds of days. Does this happen to anyone else? Where the good students feel bad for you on the days when you lose control? :sad: :blank:

Had one of 'those' days yesterday. My co-teacher couldn't make it to school (don't know why) and the home room teachers wouldn't stay in the class with me, so I was flying solo the entire day. My final class of the day, saw there was no co / homeroom teacher, so just went nuts. This one girl, tried really hard to help me get them to quiten down and listen, to do their work etc. She was like the only quiet student / only person doing work the entire lesson. She came to me and apologized for the class near the end too.

Next week, a bulk of the class is going to be in trouble with the coTeacher when she gets back. She freaks even me out when she gets mad too; She's small, cute, and quiet, but super scary when angry / mad haha. :P I'm hoping I can be out of the room when she gets mad at them, as I get pretty uncomfortable during those rare times that students get disciplined here.

ha, that's so cute of your student. I ended up apologizing to my students the other day for other students' behavior. Felt like I was letting the one's who want to learn English down.
Unrelated: I gave my class the classic "what's black and white and read all over riddle" and was surprised to get the correct answer but in such a manner that I felt like I was riddling with Blaine the mono.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1492 on: October 12, 2016, 06:45:39 PM »
I had a temporary sub-coteacher a few years back that I would have preferred never came to class, because when it was my time to lead, she would go around chatting with the students and distracting them, when they were to be following me during the presentation and practice phase of our lesson.

I spoke to her about it after class, and she claimed to understand, yet she continued to do it.

After a few more discussions about it, I asked her why she continued to do it, and she "played" ignorant.

Rather than endure, the next day, as soon as she starting disrupting, I immediately stopped the class and waited for her conversation to end.  As soon as she stopped chatting, I started again.  However, she immediately started in, so I stopped the class again.

She started laughing and I "smiled" and we all waited.

The students were 100% aware of what was taking place.

This continued for about 8 minutes, until pair practice and the production stage of the lesson began.

After the lesson, I was in no condition to speak with her (I was seeing red), so I asked her if we could have a meeting in the afternoon.

Long story short, I'm so grateful she was a temp/sub, as the only conclusion I could draw was that she was intentionally winding me up for kicks, she was a bit "bat $hit" crazy, or she was lonely and incapable of keeping her trap closed for more than a minute at a time.

I don't envy you.

Gasian

« Reply #1493 on: October 12, 2016, 07:34:28 PM »
It sounds like you did some irreparable damage, if she doesn't want you to be in the classroom while she is teaching.

What had you done before when she was leading?

What did she do when you were leading?

Would you care to explain how things got so out of hand?

If you are SMOE, you might consider signing-up for the training course for foreigners and their coteachers next week.

Fair enough. Yeah, perhaps the damage is irreparable and yes, I cannot in any situation claim that I cannot shoulder part of the blame and could very well do with some guidance, clearly, otherwise I would not be in the situation I am in. For clarity I lead all the classes. She floats and translates in those instances where the students need it.

Offline stevebarker

• Adventurer
« Reply #1494 on: October 12, 2016, 08:49:46 PM »
i'm probably a bit late to the party, never having co-taught before in Korea before, but some of these teachers must love teaming up with you guys when all they need to do is translate a few words and then just sit back :S

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1495 on: October 12, 2016, 09:01:09 PM »
i'm probably a bit late to the party, never having co-taught before in Korea before, but some of these teachers must love teaming up with you guys when all they need to do is translate a few words and then just sit back :S

There are definitely some that do. One of my coTs is happy to study English in the back of the classroom and pipe in on occasion if there's a translation issue or if the kids have a question they can't articulate in English to me. This works out really well for me though!

On the other hand, I have another coT who I think feels underutilized-- on more than one occasion she's asked me what she can do to help me more.

Then I have a coT who is sometimes just fine, sometimes way overbearing, and sometimes practically non-existent.

Offline oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1496 on: October 12, 2016, 09:21:21 PM »
i never understood the need to have two teachers in the same classroom

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1497 on: October 13, 2016, 06:30:31 AM »

Not to put anybody down, but consider this from the parent's perspective.

NETs do not usually have training as teachers, so there is only one teacher in the classroom.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1498 on: October 13, 2016, 06:43:42 AM »

Not to put anybody down, but consider this from the parent's perspective.

NETs do not usually have training as teachers, so there is only one teacher in the classroom.

Right. There always needs to be a (certified) teacher in the classroom for legal/liability issues. I imagine it would also prevent schools from taking unfair advantage in the hiring of temporary workers over permanent employees.

And just think of all the AIDS being spread if foreigners were allowed to be unsupervised with children.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:52:31 AM by donovan »

Online Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1499 on: October 13, 2016, 07:08:55 AM »

There are definitely some that do. One of my coTs is happy to study English in the back of the classroom and pipe in on occasion if there's a translation issue or if the kids have a question they can't articulate in English to me. This works out really well for me though!

On the other hand, I have another coT who I think feels underutilized-- on more than one occasion she's asked me what she can do to help me more.

Then I have a coT who is sometimes just fine, sometimes way overbearing, and sometimes practically non-existent.

Yes, this has always been the general theme.  The hits, mostly hits and rarely the complete personality clash misses.  In almost all the middle schools I taught in, were small so the English teacher and me would split the classes into A and B.  When she taught one I taught the other. 

Now in high school, with the second level students I have two classes with two different teachers and two different kinds of classes.  The one older male teacher wants me to teach speaking, he sits with the students and enjoys joining in as he can practice his speaking which isn't really very good.  But he lets me get on with it.  The other class is using texts from the university entrance test books.  I find a text and then make a worksheet with different activities for the students to make the text more interesting, these texts are usually used in their tests.  We get on really well, and have some kind of fallings out but in a fun way.  Her English is really good, and we've known each other for a long time.  The students find how we talk to each other really funny.  For the first grade students, it is free choice for me and the teachers generally sit at the back.  Outside of class I have a lot of joking with those teachers.  But compare to my elementary hell a couple of years back with the 'lights are on, but no on is home' teacher, I feel happy now being like a proper teacher.  But I think everyone who's been here for a while will have taken the rare rough with the usual smooth.