December 11, 2017, 11:59:30 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 594322 times)

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1440 on: October 11, 2016, 03:13:14 PM »
I feel like I've been trying to lose my belly fat for like 3 years. It wont budge! everywhere else I lose weight and I don't know what gives. I eat healthy food most of the time, I workout 5 or 6 days a week, some strength training with Pilates and cardio with H.I.I.T training. I'm.  So.  Frustrated.  :sad:

Instead of eating healthy food most of the time, how about all the time? For one month. Studies show overweight people overestimate how healthfully they are eating. So for thirty days, try this: no alcohol, no white rice, no white flour, and no sugar. It will be hard, but you will lose belly fat.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-fallible-mind/201502/5-reasons-alcohol-makes-you-fat

http://www.nowloss.com/does-alcohol-make-you-fat.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYqsWAjvEbI

I used to think I ate pretty healthy most of the time, until I started making a food diary. Turns out I never made it a single full day without eating something greasy/full of sugar. Like, I was rewarding myself on the weekends for being healthy all week, but during the week I was eating hella bread, coffee (with cream and sugar), and the occasional candy from my teaching stash.
Also, the interwebs say that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise, and I believe it.

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1441 on: October 11, 2016, 03:26:22 PM »
@MataHari

i would offer to resign in exchange for a Letter of Release. with a Letter of Release you can change to a D-10 (Work Seeking) visa, and find a new job. resigning sounds preferable to me than continuing to work with The World's Biggest Moron. sounds like you hate that women and are pretty unhappy at that school, so why not move on to greener pastures?

if you are on an F-visa then you can resign and find a new job at any time, no Letter of Release or D-10 needed.

if they refuse a Letter of Release then tell them they will have to fire you. you said you were a private hire, and AFAIK most private hires use them same or very similar contracts to standard EPIK hires. if that's the case the school will have to give you 3 official warning letters before firing you. just check your contract. if they start trumping up BS warning letters you can challenge them with the MOE/POE, or even the Labor Board for unfair termination. it could get very difficult and be a very long and drawn-out process for the school to fire you. worth pointing out to them when negotiating for the Letter of Release.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1442 on: October 11, 2016, 03:31:36 PM »
MataHari, I hope you can figure something out. I had a really big fight with one of my coteachers towards the beginning of the year that ended with me sobbing for almost a whole class period. Just lots of nasty stuff. Since then things have cooled off and she mostly doesn't hassle me, but no matter what other people suggest only you can decide if the best decision is to tough it out or figure out how you can leave.

My own vent: I'm really trying to figure out how I can integrate little games/activities into my regular classes to entertain my particularly unmotivated classes. I had one of them today and as usual, whatever goes GREAT in any other class just completely falls flat for them. I give up.

Gasian

« Reply #1443 on: October 11, 2016, 08:16:18 PM »
Thank you everyone for your advice. I am taking it all on board. I managed to get hold of a teacher who sat and listened to me and who was surprisingly sympathetic and we are going to meet again tomorrow to discuss options and she has come up with a few options that may at least ease off the tension while I work out my contract.

I will update as things progress. Right now I am just exhausted in a way I never thought possible and know that my emotions are running too high to think logically and rationally.

I can't tell you how much I do appreciate having this forum, and specifically this thread, to come to just to get any and all feedback.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 09:05:57 AM by MataHari »

Offline west coast tatterdemalion

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1444 on: October 11, 2016, 09:06:48 PM »
They are now pushing me for a letter of resignation. I have told them that I will deal with it once I have spoken to my coordinator....  I have no idea who this person is as I am school hired.

Yes, I know. i should have shut up and walked away. I didn't. My bad.

But really, so I resign, then that would mean I cannot work until such time as the end of my contract correct?

Also, the other woman in the office to witnessed the whole scene, blatantly said in Korean that she will back my CT up with whatever she says.

Tell you co-teacher you want to talk to her regarding the earlier conversation.  When you meet before anything is said, place your phone on the table and say you are recording it for the record, ask her to air any grievance.  Tell her you will foorward a copy to her later. 

This way you will have a copy of any Korean that can be played back to The VP or P, and you can fact check anything she says about you.  Also, if she is prone to not being in/participating in classes, you can ask her why this is so, again, the VP or P may be interested. 

You must tell her she is being recorded, as consent is an issue.  Also, keep a calm tone, do not rise to nay bait, and ask her to explain any accusations against you.  She may forget the conversation is being recorded, but you surely wont.  She willl sound like an angry nut, and you appear the victim on the moral high ground.

Don't do this.
A) It's not going to work.
B) She doesn't like you and doesn't have to comply with this.
C) It's not going to matter what she says on the recording.

Just don't sign any resignation form. They won't have to release you and therefore you won't be able to get a different job. Just stick it out to the end and don't sign anything.

Agreed. Terrible advice by the previous poster. This teacher hates his guts..and Koreans hold grudges(see Japan). She'll hate him forever. If I were him, I'd ignore this bitch during the rest of my time there. Not acknowledge her in any way. And yes, do not sign a resignation letter...put the onus on them.  They will try to pressure you, but stick to your guns.

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #1445 on: October 12, 2016, 07:34:48 AM »
Started prepping for today's lessons when I realized that due to all the school activities that have canceled a couple of classes, I have 2 groups that are just behind enough that I have to figure out how to condense their classes before midterms which happen to be next week. Not a great way to start a Wednesday morning.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1446 on: October 12, 2016, 08:52:01 AM »
Not really a rant, more just bummed out about it. My travel middle coT goes on maternity leave starting in December and told me that I didn't need to come to classes for that whole month.

But... I like middle school.   :sad: & the end of the year is when I have time for fun/free classes.

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1447 on: October 12, 2016, 08:56:29 AM »
Not really a rant, more just bummed out about it. My travel middle coT goes on maternity leave starting in December and told me that I didn't need to come to classes for that whole month.

But... I like middle school.   :sad: & the end of the year is when I have time for fun/free classes.
Wow, thats actually really surprising. They aren't bringing in another replacement CoT?

Offline strugglebunny

• Veteran
« Reply #1448 on: October 12, 2016, 09:06:47 AM »

Feel free to take mine. I'd give my arm to pawn my middle school off on someone else.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1449 on: October 12, 2016, 09:19:05 AM »
This is the second time this year that my credit card has been copied and used.  In the winter, it was used while I was in Sweden.  They tried putting 500 won first for somewhere in Canada to see if it worked so my card company stopped it quick smart as that flagged up possible fraud.  This morning, I am invigilating my students and got a message about 200 dollars in Pizza Hut in Peoria, and then 5 dollars in Subway.  Then I didn't have enough left for another 200 dollars they tried to put through. F*cking wankers.  Will see what my card company come back with after they checked with the seller.  I'm sure the message service is there for that reason that if I get messages for things I'm not doing, and I call up directly, then surely I shouldn't be liable for the fraudulent use.  C*nts!

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1450 on: October 12, 2016, 09:31:45 AM »
This is the second time this year that my credit card has been copied and used.  In the winter, it was used while I was in Sweden.  They tried putting 500 won first for somewhere in Canada to see if it worked so my card company stopped it quick smart as that flagged up possible fraud.  This morning, I am invigilating my students and got a message about 200 dollars in Pizza Hut in Peoria, and then 5 dollars in Subway.  Then I didn't have enough left for another 200 dollars they tried to put through. F*cking wankers.  Will see what my card company come back with after they checked with the seller.  I'm sure the message service is there for that reason that if I get messages for things I'm not doing, and I call up directly, then surely I shouldn't be liable for the fraudulent use.  C*nts!
Thats an awful lot of pizza.

Gasian

« Reply #1451 on: October 12, 2016, 09:48:28 AM »
Update. The English teacher of the Public School linked with my Ed Center has moved me out of the "office of war". She has given new guidelines as to how work needs to be split, especially considering the unique teaching situation I am in. Yes, you read that correctly. She understands my unique situation.

Anyway, I am extremely grateful to the teacher who intervened, and hopefully the new setup will create a less tension filled environment. Also, considering that my CT told me I was the worst foreigner she had ever met, I really appreciated the other English teacher who said the complete opposite.

It is quite satisfying hearing the printer in my CT's office working to the max, as well as drawers and doors being slammed. Yep, yep. Work work work. Feel the burn.

It's been quite a ride... and it is only Wednesday.

Gasian

« Reply #1452 on: October 12, 2016, 09:52:47 AM »

I don't have a credit card, thank god. But yeah I would think that a message service that lets you know about activity is exactly there so that you can phone and say "hey this isn't me" and then they would have to do something about it....

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1453 on: October 12, 2016, 10:05:34 AM »
Update. The English teacher of the Public School linked with my Ed Center has moved me out of the "office of war". She has given new guidelines as to how work needs to be split, especially considering the unique teaching situation I am in. Yes, you read that correctly. She understands my unique situation.

Anyway, I am extremely grateful to the teacher who intervened, and hopefully the new setup will create a less tension filled environment. Also, considering that my CT told me I was the worst foreigner she had ever met, I really appreciated the other English teacher who said the complete opposite.

It is quite satisfying hearing the printer in my CT's office working to the max, as well as drawers and doors being slammed. Yep, yep. Work work work. Feel the burn.

I've been following this.  I'm happy to hear things are working out for you.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1454 on: October 12, 2016, 10:36:45 AM »

I've been following this.  I'm happy to hear things are working out for you.

+1  ;D

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1455 on: October 12, 2016, 10:39:34 AM »

Wow, thats actually really surprising. They aren't bringing in another replacement CoT?

My guess is that they're bringing in a replacement at the start of next semester. She said she'll prepare materials for all of December for them...

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #1456 on: October 12, 2016, 10:41:28 AM »
http://www.korean.go.kr/front_eng/roman/roman_01.do

Cann evrywon reed this? You cant just spel things hau yu wont.

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1457 on: October 12, 2016, 10:42:36 AM »

My guess is that they're bringing in a replacement at the start of next semester. She said she'll prepare materials for all of December for them...
Oh, gotcha. Well that's a bummer that it's for the school you like!

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1458 on: October 12, 2016, 10:44:31 AM »

I don't have a credit card, thank god. but yeah I would think that a message service that lets you know about activity is exactly there so that you can phone and say "hey this isn't me" and then they would have to do something about it....

It's actually a smoother process to claim fraud on a credit card than on a debit card. I don't know how it is in Canada (or Korea, for that matter, but Korea makes everything difficult), but I've experienced both when I was in the states and although I prefer to avoid the situation in general, if I had to choose, I'd rather have fraudulent transactions on my credit card.

Edit: Also, I'm glad your situation worked out at school :D Hopefully things will be less stressful.

Online Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1459 on: October 12, 2016, 01:02:11 PM »

I don't have a credit card, thank god. but yeah I would think that a message service that lets you know about activity is exactly there so that you can phone and say "hey this isn't me" and then they would have to do something about it....

It's actually a smoother process to claim fraud on a credit card than on a debit card. I don't know how it is in Canada (or Korea, for that matter, but Korea makes everything difficult), but I've experienced both when I was in the states and although I prefer to avoid the situation in general, if I had to choose, I'd rather have fraudulent transactions on my credit card.

Edit: Also, I'm glad your situation worked out at school :D Hopefully things will be less stressful.

I only have a debit card myself. However, I debilerately keep it low on funds, because if someone gets the info, they won't be able to buy much - like ~$11 from my account. (I usually leave it around that mark, as the bank I'm with has a $10 per year fee for the card).
If I need to use it, I transfer money to it, then use it right away.