November 22, 2017, 08:52:13 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 569022 times)

Offline jomi

• Veteran
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1420 on: October 11, 2016, 08:52:27 AM »
I really enjoy how my coteachers do the absolute bare minimum. They are good enough to stay for the duration of my classes but sit at the back doing nothing, sparingly assist in tasks, barely ever assist lower level students in tasks and this week failed to tell me about an open class I had to submit a lesson plan for and acted as if I should have miraculously know. I had to write said plan in a specific format for submission, and later admitted "you weren't told because taking charge of the foreign teacher is a job no one wants"

Really?? I do not require a lot of effort literally all you need to do to take charge of me it tell me when I need to do something so I can do it. I am not a problem waygooki , I am not a problem teacher, I do my job with the minimum amount of fuss and most of the time my coteachers don't need to do anything. I plan my classes, I make my materials, I don't ask for anything, I don't cause any problems ALL I require is that I am TOLD when I need to do anything and my coteachers assist students in classes.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1421 on: October 11, 2016, 08:57:18 AM »
I really enjoy how my coteachers do the absolute bare minimum. They are good enough to stay for the duration of my classes but sit at the back doing nothing, sparingly assist in tasks, barely ever assist lower level students in tasks and this week failed to tell me about an open class I had to submit a lesson plan for and acted as if I should have miraculously know. I had to write said plan in a specific format for submission, and later admitted "you weren't told because taking charge of the foreign teacher is a job no one wants"

Really?? I do not require a lot of effort literally all you need to do to take charge of me it tell me when I need to do something so I can do it. I am not a problem waygooki , I am not a problem teacher, I do my job with the minimum amount of fuss and most of the time my coteachers don't need to do anything. I plan my classes, I make my materials, I don't ask for anything, I don't cause any problems ALL I require is that I am TOLD when I need to do anything and my coteachers assist students in classes.

Did you say anything when they told you that (a job no one wants)?  I would have gone mental at that.

If it makes you feel better I'm in the same boat and could have written the exact same rant!

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #1422 on: October 11, 2016, 09:49:04 AM »

Did you say anything when they told you that (a job no one wants)?  I would have gone mental at that.

If it makes you feel better I'm in the same boat and could have written the exact same rant!

No. I did what I always do, smiled, said okay, put my earphones back in and carried on with what I was doing. This was said in an "Dont misunderstand me" thing from one of my coteachers after she told me I needed to script out the open class lesson plan. Basically the open classbisnt with that particular coteacher and currently my "handler" is a homeroom teacher so I never see her (she got reassigned at the start of the year). The coteacher who will be doing the open class with me had just spent her afternoon napping on the sofa in our office and left for a meeting and I get the feeling that right now none of the KTs I actually teach with think it's their responsibility to 'handle' me in terms of informing me of shit.
And I learned in my first year here that showing when my KTs annoy me is a sure fire way for them to not give me that 80% mark I need to renew my contract at the end of the year (my first set of coteachers tried it, I got my contract renewal anyway)

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1423 on: October 11, 2016, 10:22:39 AM »

No. I did what I always do, smiled, said okay, put my earphones back in and carried on with what I was doing. This was said in an "Dont misunderstand me" thing from one of my coteachers after she told me I needed to script out the open class lesson plan. Basically the open classbisnt with that particular coteacher and currently my "handler" is a homeroom teacher so I never see her (she got reassigned at the start of the year). The coteacher who will be doing the open class with me had just spent her afternoon napping on the sofa in our office and left for a meeting and I get the feeling that right now none of the KTs I actually teach with think it's their responsibility to 'handle' me in terms of informing me of shit.
And I learned in my first year here that showing when my KTs annoy me is a sure fire way for them to not give me that 80% mark I need to renew my contract at the end of the year (my first set of coteachers tried it, I got my contract renewal anyway)

Yea that all sounds familiar.  Smiling and nodding is usually the best course of action!

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1424 on: October 11, 2016, 10:34:55 AM »
Even the ATMs try to save face here.

I tried my KEB Global card in 3 different machines this morning and got an error message in Korean.  Tried 2 different Canadian cards and got a "wrong pin" message.

I think the ATM didn't want to admit that she wasn't working.

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #1425 on: October 11, 2016, 10:38:11 AM »

Yea that all sounds familiar.  Smiling and nodding is usually the best course of action!

Yeah I've long accepted that in order to keep my job here and have a reasonly easy life is to smile and nod and do whatever I'm asked to do (within reason) but to do that my coteachers need to actually tell me what they want me to do and not wait for me to magically pick it up through telepathy. :rolleyes:

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1426 on: October 11, 2016, 11:25:14 AM »

Oh boy, she would have caught the tongue-lashing of her life for that one. She basically said she couldn't be bothered to do her job, because she didn't want to. Like, nobody cares that you didn't want to do it, it's your freaking job (insert KT name here).

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1427 on: October 11, 2016, 11:48:20 AM »

Oh boy, she would have caught the tongue-lashing of her life for that one. She basically said she couldn't be bothered to do her job, because she didn't want to. Like, nobody cares that you didn't want to do it, it's your freaking job (insert KT name here).

It isn't her job though, I mean she's a dick for saying it but the point here is no one has that job because no one wants it.

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #1428 on: October 11, 2016, 11:50:29 AM »

To be fair it was not this particular KTs responsibility. The KT who I am doing this open class with STILL hasn't so much as spoken to me at all this week so far. The problem is that the head CT/my "handler" got moved and doesn't teach with me or share the office with us anymore and is a himeroom teacher now instead, but none of my actual KTs got told they now had to take charge of me. Which I hate being in a person not an elephant I don't need a handler and I think basic communication is part of being my coteacher.

I do dream occasionally about going off on my coteachers about they all have fewer classes than I do, if we factor in the fact that I lead our joint classes, with most of them only having to prepare for 2 of their own classes per week. all I expect them to do for my class is show up, assist the students particularly the lower level students, and inform me of any changes to the schedule I need to know or if they require anything of me. I'd say ONE KT does this and provides materials for students and walks the classroom assisting struggling students when they are doing a task. Two sit at the back of the class and...study? Prepare for heir solo classes? Idk and the one who hasn't spoken to me just hangs out at the back and will give crackers or whatever to students at the end of the class if their team won points or whatever.

Sadly it's not my job to tell them how to do their jobs and they'd likely be super offended if I tried so all I can do is just put up with it, smile and carry on.

But if when my review rolls around they've got anything to say...
Though I do feel like I'm just extra irritable because I miss my old school, my old coteachers and my old students. my current school is fine. But I never wanted to be here and was really happy at my old school.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 11:56:00 AM by jomi »

Gasian

« Reply #1429 on: October 11, 2016, 12:08:44 PM »
I have no idea where to put this. I lost it today. I cannot take anymore. I got attacked for not handing in full lesson plans for open classes this morning, when the schedule clearly says by tomorrow. I had already given them a basic outline for 5 classes and a full in depth one for our main open class. I had not completed the others due to disruptions to class schedules on Thursday due to a picnic that 90% of my students went on.  I was informed about on the day.

Ergo, lesson plans had to be changed.

I couldn't understand what my CT was talking about at one point so I asked for clarity at which point she started shouting at me about a bunch of stuff, shouting and speaking so quickly in Korean that I could not understand and despite me asking over and over again that she slow down because I could not understand her she just continued to do so. She followed this up swiftly with "I am friends with many foreigners, you are the only one that has ever been a problem.  Long story short I ended up screaming back and once she had literally screamed at me to the point of tears, I somehow agreed to resign because it is better for everyone.

They are now pushing me for a letter of resignation. I have told them that I will deal with it once I have spoken to my coordinator....  I have no idea who this person is as I am school hired.

Yes, I know. i should have shut up and walked away. I didn't. My bad.

But really, so I resign, then that would mean I cannot work until such time as the end of my contract correct?

Also, the other woman in the office to witnessed the whole scene, blatantly said in Korean that she will back my CT up with whatever she says.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1430 on: October 11, 2016, 12:44:53 PM »
I have no idea where to put this. I lost it today. I cannot take anymore. I got attacked for not handing in full lesson plans for open classes this morning, when the schedule clearly says by tomorrow. I had already given them a basic outline for 5 classes and a full in depth one for our main open class. I had not completed the others due to disruptions to class schedules on Thursday due to a picnic that 90% of my students went on.  I was informed about on the day.

I couldn't understand what my CT was talking about at one point so I asked for clarity at which point she started shouting at me about a bunch of stuff, shouting and speaking so quickly in Korean that I could not understand and despite me asking over and over again that she slow down because I could not understand her she just continued to do so. She followed this up swiftly with "I am friends with many foreigners, you are the only one that has ever been a problem.  Long story short I ended up screaming back and once she had literally screamed at me to the point of tears, I somehow agreed to resign because it is better for everyone.

They are now pushing me for a letter of resignation. I have told them that I will deal with it once I have spoken to my coordinator....  I have no idea who this person is as I am school hired.

But really, so I resign, then that would mean I cannot work until such time as the end of my contract correct?

Also, the other woman in the office to witnessed the whole scene, blatantly said in Korean that she will back my CT up with whatever she says.

Sorry to hear that Matahari.  Take a deep breath.  Contact the coordinator and then take it from there.  Don't think about your crazy mental co-teacher.  By 'they' are pushing for resignation letter, do you mean school?  or just her?  Don't resign yet.  Explore your avenues first.  See what your position is.  Don't take any crap about 'you being the only problem' from some stupid hopeless co-teacher.  We've all been there with the hopeless idiots, so can easily understand.  But you verbally saying you will quit means nothing.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1431 on: October 11, 2016, 12:50:43 PM »

If it is just your co-teachers telling you, I wouldn't do it unless you actually want to. Make sure you decide if you want to or not once you calm down and are in the right state of mind.
Also, talk to the people you need to talk to about this.

Sorry things got so bad. :(

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1432 on: October 11, 2016, 01:03:31 PM »

Is there anyone at your school who you get on with? Someone you can talk to?

I had a row with a co-teacher in my first year that ended in shouting and generalizations about 'foreigners' from the KET. I was convinced it was the end for me, but it worked out. I suggest writing down your grievances as plainly as possible as well as a report of exactly what happened today. Again, treat it clinically; acting more professional than your co-teacher is going to do you a lot of favors. For me the co-teacher also started directly threatening my future employment but it ended up being her who was moved on. The way I had it explained to me was the VP and P are basically allergic to drama. They're happiest when you don't bring them problems.
I wrote an explanation and an insincere apology to my colleague and sent it through Cool Messenger so there was a saved and dated copy. When I was asked what happened I explained it honestly and pointed them to my efforts to resolve the situation in a professional manner. Our future lessons were tense but conflict-free and renewal happened without a problem.

Tl:dr It's probably not the end! Have a cooling off period and reassess.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1433 on: October 11, 2016, 01:37:29 PM »

Tell you co-teacher you want to talk to her regarding the earlier conversation.  When you meet before anything is said, place your phone on the table and say you are recording it for the record, ask her to air any grievance.  Tell her you will foorward a copy to her later. 

This way you will have a copy of any Korean that can be played back to The VP or P, and you can fact check anything she says about you.  Also, if she is prone to not being in/participating in classes, you can ask her why this is so, again, the VP or P may be interested. 

You must tell her she is being recorded, as consent is an issue.  Also, keep a calm tone, do not rise to nay bait, and ask her to explain any accusations against you.  She may forget the conversation is being recorded, but you surely wont.  She willl sound like an angry nut, and you appear the victim on the moral high ground.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1434 on: October 11, 2016, 01:48:11 PM »
Maya,

Lots of terrible advice being thrown around.

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for, so I hope you disregard many of the nutty responses you have received thus far.

IMHO, your best bet might be to do/say nothing and to simply pretend that it never happened.

Keep your head down, do your job to the best of your ability, and discontinue being confrontational.

While doing the above, look for a new job for when your current position ends (as you won't be getting renewed).

Offline mountainman

• Veteran
« Reply #1435 on: October 11, 2016, 02:31:56 PM »
Maya,

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for, so I hope you disregard many of the nutty responses you have received thus far.

IMHO, your best bet might be to do/say nothing and to simply pretend that it never happened.

Keep your head down, do your job to the best of your ability, and discontinue being confrontational.

While doing the above, look for a new job for when your current position ends (as you won't be getting renewed).

Best advice here.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1436 on: October 11, 2016, 02:32:15 PM »

Tell you co-teacher you want to talk to her regarding the earlier conversation.  When you meet before anything is said, place your phone on the table and say you are recording it for the record, ask her to air any grievance.  Tell her you will foorward a copy to her later. 

This way you will have a copy of any Korean that can be played back to The VP or P, and you can fact check anything she says about you.  Also, if she is prone to not being in/participating in classes, you can ask her why this is so, again, the VP or P may be interested. 

You must tell her she is being recorded, as consent is an issue.  Also, keep a calm tone, do not rise to nay bait, and ask her to explain any accusations against you.  She may forget the conversation is being recorded, but you surely wont.  She willl sound like an angry nut, and you appear the victim on the moral high ground.

Don't do this.
A) It's not going to work.
B) She doesn't like you and doesn't have to comply with this.
C) It's not going to matter what she says on the recording.

Just don't sign any resignation form. They won't have to release you and therefore you won't be able to get a different job. Just stick it out to the end and don't sign anything.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1437 on: October 11, 2016, 02:33:34 PM »
Maya,

Best advice here.
+1

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1438 on: October 11, 2016, 02:58:08 PM »
I feel like I've been trying to lose my belly fat for like 3 years. It wont budge! everywhere else I lose weight and I don't know what gives. I eat healthy food most of the time, I workout 5 or 6 days a week, some strength training with Pilates and cardio with H.I.I.T training. I'm.  So.  Frustrated.  :sad:

Instead of eating healthy food most of the time, how about all the time? For one month. Studies show overweight people overestimate how healthfully they are eating. So for thirty days, try this: no alcohol, no white rice, no white flour, and no sugar. It will be hard, but you will lose belly fat.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-fallible-mind/201502/5-reasons-alcohol-makes-you-fat

http://www.nowloss.com/does-alcohol-make-you-fat.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYqsWAjvEbI

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1439 on: October 11, 2016, 03:09:45 PM »
I feel like I've been trying to lose my belly fat for like 3 years. It wont budge! everywhere else I lose weight and I don't know what gives. I eat healthy food most of the time, I workout 5 or 6 days a week, some strength training with Pilates and cardio with H.I.I.T training. I'm.  So.  Frustrated.  :sad:

Do you eat breakfast?  Always a good start.  Also, I've found that my body burns fats in different areas at different rates.  Usually, the bum and tums are the last to go.  I work out a lot and am active but for some reason couldn't lose my stomach.  After the summer holidays,  I came back with a visible stomach, and I didn't feel light about 90 kgs.  I took to eating oatmeal porridge for breakfast on the weekdays, with a normal lunch and dinner.  During the week, I'd go to the gym on Monday after school, then Tuesday go hiking (usually an hour and a half), back to the gym on Wednesday, then hiking on Thursday, then on Saturday maybe both gym and hiking.  I didn't really notice anything off the stomach until mid-September, and since then my weight has dropped to 84 kgs.  Which is really good.  I don't really believe in faddy diets.  It is possible to adapt a regime in your lifestyle which is much more sustainable and enjoyable.