September 27, 2017, 03:27:48 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 492538 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1340 on: September 29, 2016, 06:56:53 PM »
Yeah, normally I'm all about getting the students to at least try and it doesn't matter if you aren't good at the language as long as you try... but not only does this kid not try but he is a sophomore in high school and can't understand go.
I fukk up everything I say in Korean, but my effort and charm is more important to my communication than nailing everything spot on. No one learns a language by not speaking it. Speaking it and trying is 70% of the whole experience of learning it.

Everyone loves my Korean because I just wing it. A lot of Koreans have told me it makes them look at their own language in a new way because when I don't know something I'll just construct a sentence out of what I know and see if it sticks.

Like when my GF said er uncle was a Fly Soldier.  :huh:

She meant he was in the Airforce.  :cheesy: But, hey! She tried and I got it.

Yeah. I'm the same way. If I don't know a word, I just stitch together some other words and people usually get it.

And that is the beauty of language but Koreans seem to think that language is only acceptable when it is correct. Which is ironic because a lot of them don't even know their own language that well.
Thank you for fixing the quote chain, haha.

I have been told by a lot that I speak like a child in Korean, so while they may laugh, they can usually at least understand my gist. I also understand that a lot of the kids get beaten down by the system, but still.

Offline coxy15

• Waygookin
« Reply #1341 on: September 29, 2016, 07:01:11 PM »
Erm... what is TEE?

Teaching English English. Brits love to use it, it means "Real English."

Do we? I'm a Brit... never heard of it

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1342 on: September 29, 2016, 07:51:42 PM »
Yeah, normally I'm all about getting the students to at least try and it doesn't matter if you aren't good at the language as long as you try... but not only does this kid not try but he is a sophomore in high school and can't understand go.
I fukk up everything I say in Korean, but my effort and charm is more important to my communication than nailing everything spot on. No one learns a language by not speaking it. Speaking it and trying is 70% of the whole experience of learning it.

Everyone loves my Korean because I just wing it. A lot of Koreans have told me it makes them look at their own language in a new way because when I don't know something I'll just construct a sentence out of what I know and see if it sticks.

Yeah. I'm the same way. If I don't know a word, I just stitch together some other words and people usually get it.

And that is the beauty of language but Koreans seem to think that language is only acceptable when it is correct. Which is ironic because a lot of them don't even know their own language that well.

I have been told by a lot that I speak like a child in Korean, so while they may laugh, they can usually at least understand my gist. I also understand that a lot of the kids get beaten down by the system, but still.

I was told by a Korean friend that Koreans give UN Secretary Genreal Moon a 3/10 grade for English, but English Speakers give him a 9/10.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #1343 on: September 29, 2016, 07:54:58 PM »
Erm... what is TEE?

Teaching English English. Brits love to use it, it means "Real English."

Do we? I'm a Brit... never heard of it

He was joking. TEE is  a Korean term meaning what I said before.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1344 on: September 30, 2016, 11:33:00 AM »

I was told by a Korean friend that Koreans give UN Secretary Genreal Moon a 3/10 grade for English, but English Speakers give him a 9/10.
Oh really? Wow, that is pretty harsh.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1345 on: September 30, 2016, 12:39:41 PM »
Koreans count mistakes, so to look at my previous sentence,

I misspelled (at least) one word, and had an extra capital letter, so 0/10 for me.  Some would even insist that I should have repeared "grade for English" at the end, and other would insist that it is a "grade in English."

The average English speaker might not have noticed any of this, and even an English teacher would likely give me a some marks for it.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1346 on: September 30, 2016, 12:41:30 PM »
Yesterday, after months of somehow managing to avoid installing a bunch of 'security' and 'privacy' programs that every school PC has to have, they finally came to my desk with a USB stick and made me install them on my already-struggling, more-than-a-decade old PoS. Clicked 'finish' on the final install and it crashed. They're determined to make every single school PC run as poorly as possible. I'm going back to paper.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1347 on: September 30, 2016, 01:05:20 PM »
I hate speaking tests. so. much.

This seems pretty universal. Why? I kind of dig them, personally.

Well for myself, they're incredibly monotonous, especially since I've got to do it for over 600 students.

I also think they're a big waste of time -- most of the students just give a lot of pre-memorized answers, and that doesn't really reflect conversation ability. Only a handful of students have decent English speaking ability, and an even smaller pool of them choose to use what they know in an engaging manner. I do get a lot of funny answers from kids who are relaxed enough to spit them out (these actually come from my lower level students), but... yeah.

If I had fewer students and didn't have to finish the exams within such a short space of time, this could be a fun project/activity opportunity, but with so many students and the small amount of time they give me to complete the tests, it's just dull and tedious.

Offline wblancha

• Waygookin
« Reply #1348 on: September 30, 2016, 01:22:34 PM »

Well for myself, they're incredibly monotonous, especially since I've got to do it for over 600 students.

I also think they're a big waste of time -- most of the students just give a lot of pre-memorized answers, and that doesn't really reflect conversation ability. Only a handful of students have decent English speaking ability, and an even smaller pool of them choose to use what they know in an engaging manner. I do get a lot of funny answers from kids who are relaxed enough to spit them out (these actually come from my lower level students), but... yeah.

If I had fewer students and didn't have to finish the exams within such a short space of time, this could be a fun project/activity opportunity, but with so many students and the small amount of time they give me to complete the tests, it's just dull and tedious.

It's the same for me.  I have 30 students to test in 45 minutes.  It's so repetitive.  I ask the same questions about 500 times and get the same answer maybe 475 times.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1349 on: September 30, 2016, 01:34:47 PM »
Ct told me on Wednesday that she'll tell me "later" if Friday's class is canceled.  20 minutes to class time and I'd still love to know...

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1350 on: September 30, 2016, 01:35:48 PM »

It's the same for me.  I have 30 students to test in 45 minutes.  It's so repetitive.  I ask the same questions about 500 times and get the same answer maybe 475 times.

You should vary the questions so the students who take it later in the period don't have an unfair advantage.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1351 on: September 30, 2016, 01:39:00 PM »
I'm super emotional lately and feel like crying at almost everything, good, bad, cute animals - all of it. So annoying. Why, hormones?  :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1352 on: September 30, 2016, 01:40:50 PM »
I hate speaking tests. so. much.

This seems pretty universal. Why? I kind of dig them, personally.

Funny you say that.
Last week, I did my own surprise listening test. I made a list of 5 common, yet simple, English words and 5 basic English sentences. I also had 3 questions where students had to write down one noun, verb and adjective, I emphasise these figures of speech in almost every lesson. Finally, I gave a bonus question, where the students had to make their own sentence using the noun, verb and adjective they wrote down. I teach at 4 different school, here's how it went:

- I explained that the test wasn't for marks, they'd mark it themselves and it was simply a way for them to see where they were struggling and how they could improve, there was absolutely no reason to cheat... Still, an average of 30% of the students cheated.

- Half of my CTs tried to help the students, even after telling the students, themselves, not to cheat... WTF?

- One CT kept giving the damn answers, even after I told her numerous times to stop, and kept bugging me to make the questions easier.

- Some students did fairly well, however no student got full marks. Not a single student, even
  my high level students, could write a grammatically correct sentence, using a verb a noun and an adjective... The sum of 1000s of hours at hagwons and "study".

Most alarmed with my announcement of the surprise test were my CTs, not the students. I suspect they don't want any students to get shitty marks and complain to their parents how the nasty foreigner and CT gave them hard tests. I'm reminded on a daily basis that I'm probably the only person who cares about effectively teaching/learning English, at my schools, and everyone else is playing along with this vulgar farce.

Offline wblancha

• Waygookin
« Reply #1353 on: September 30, 2016, 01:43:19 PM »

You should vary the questions so the students who take it later in the period don't have an unfair advantage.
I think I was exaggerating a bit on that one.  I do try to vary the questions a bit but it's still quite a bit as there is only a pool of five questions I have to choose from.  I also have to provide example answers which they are allowed to use in the test.  This means most of the answer are the ones that I have written...

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1354 on: September 30, 2016, 01:55:43 PM »

I think I was exaggerating a bit on that one.  I do try to vary the questions a bit but it's still quite a bit as there is only a pool of five questions I have to choose from.  I also have to provide example answers which they are allowed to use in the test.  This means most of the answer are the ones that I have written...

Speaking test rants. Oh yes, I have a few...  >:(

I give my coteachers handouts two weeks before the test. On the handout are around 25-30 questions. Every single one of those questions are lifted directly from the textbook, with the relevant page number at the end of the question. The students 'study' that work sheet for 2 weeks.
   Come test time, I ask 2 or 3 random questions from the sheet.

Of the 1,100 students who are tested by me (oh man, soooo burned out after that last student....) only about 5 or 6 have perfect scores. The average real score is about 50-60%, which through mathematical magic, is transfigurated to 80%.

My rant is... why do sooo many students completely bomb the exam after having all the answers handed to them, and having had 1 or 2 classes devoted exclusively to going over the work sheet? It just blows my mind.  :sad:

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1355 on: September 30, 2016, 02:07:14 PM »
I give my coteachers handouts two weeks before the test. On the handout are around 25-30 questions. Every single one of those questions are lifted directly from the textbook, with the relevant page number at the end of the question. The students 'study' that work sheet for 2 weeks.

Of the 1,100 students who are tested by me (oh man, soooo burned out after that last student....) only about 5 or 6 have perfect scores. The average real score is about 50-60%, which through mathematical magic, is transfigurated to 80%.

My rant is... why do sooo many students completely bomb the exam after having all the answers handed to them, and having had 1 or 2 classes devoted exclusively to going over the work sheet? It just blows my mind.  :sad:

Reminds me of a 6th grade after school class I used to teach. I saw them twice a week: Mondays and Fridays. On one Monday, I taught them the English names of a handful of European countries. We went over them all together several times, filled out maps, did some word searches, etc.

I told them that that coming Friday they were going to have a quiz. I told them the quiz was just going to be the exact same map they had just filled out, except instead of having to write the country names, they only had to match the names from a list to the letters on the countries. That's it. A matching exercise based on a map & list of countries they all had. To sweeten the pot, I even told them I'd give them each one m&m for every answer they got right.

Friday arrives, they all take the quiz, and of 13 students, one student aced it. Most others were in the 60% range, and a couple students only got one or two right. I made different answer sheets so that no students sitting next to each other would have the same answers and therefore couldn't cheat, which they didn't realize, and the only reason those students didn't get 0% was because they managed to fuck up copying their friends and accidentally got a few right.  :laugh:

Gasian

« Reply #1356 on: September 30, 2016, 02:44:33 PM »
SIX f*%king open classes

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1357 on: September 30, 2016, 02:59:39 PM »
nice to know even the lunch ladies at my school don't wash their hands after using the toilet. and they have no shame either, walking right out of the stall and right by other teachers. but all the other teachers do it too so i guess it doesn't matter. i don't understand this obsession with rinsing the feet but hands are paid no attention even if you work with food. i remember my hairdresser using the bathroom and coming out to work on my hair without washing her hands and i've been in food places that have bathrooms with no sinks... this kind of stuff is so nasty to me.

Gasian

« Reply #1358 on: September 30, 2016, 03:04:57 PM »

Speaking test rants. Oh yes, I have a few...  >:(

1100 students!  :shocked: Not sure I would manage to retain my sanity through that.  Much respect!

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1359 on: September 30, 2016, 03:14:08 PM »
nice to know even the lunch ladies at my school don't wash their hands after using the toilet. and they have no shame either, walking right out of the stall and right by other teachers. but all the other teachers do it too so i guess it doesn't matter. i don't understand this obsession with rinsing the feet but hands are paid no attention even if you work with food. i remember my hairdresser using the bathroom and coming out to work on my hair without washing her hands and i've been in food places that have bathrooms with no sinks... this kind of stuff is so nasty to me.

I have a pretty thick skin when it comes to the little things people flip out about on here, but this is so gnarly. I literally can't fathom how an entire country that is nowhere near the poverty line forgot about soap. The students don't use it. People don't use it. It's like a weird afterthought in washrooms. Holy Hannah Montana, seriously - wash your dang hands, y'all.

Literally every student leaves their street shoes in a locker and puts on school slippers in elementary school. For cleanliness. But nobody has gotten people habituated to washing their hands? How? How is that literally possible, oh my god?

Washing your hands is not difficult. You rub soap and water on them. And then you save tons of time and money and misery by not getting sick and not getting other people sick.

What even do people think when they don't wash their hands, especially when they see other people literally washing their hands in a washroom? Do they think, "This is okay. What I'm doing is literally okay" as they walk around with their filthy hands?

Jesus.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment