September 21, 2017, 09:34:06 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 485074 times)

Online Pecan

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1240 on: September 27, 2016, 05:40:33 PM »
I'm not sure why the obsession with ramen, either.

It is served in the Business Class Lounge at the airport, so people obviously don't view it as complete crap food.

More surprising, Korean passengers will actually steal the packages and smuggle them inside their carry-on luggage.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1241 on: September 27, 2016, 05:45:45 PM »
Oftentimes when I try to divide the class in a certain way, my coT tries to change it. As usual, I reiterated that smaller groups means that individual students get more speaking practice (and they may be less rowdy). This seems to be a big ordeal for her because *gasp* one or two students might need to move a little!! Oh no!! So much work!!  :rolleyes:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #1242 on: September 27, 2016, 05:49:04 PM »
Oftentimes when I try to divide the class in a certain way, my coT tries to change it. As usual, I reiterated that smaller groups means that individual students get more speaking practice (and they may be less rowdy). This seems to be a big ordeal for her because *gasp* one or two students might need to move a little!! Oh no!! So much work!!  :rolleyes:

Then she'll explain the rules for 7 mins, even though the kids get it.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1243 on: September 27, 2016, 05:53:47 PM »
^ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1244 on: September 27, 2016, 05:56:04 PM »
She'll also persist in saying numbers in Korean even though the chilluns can obviously count upwards of 5  :rolleyes: >:(

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #1245 on: September 27, 2016, 05:58:28 PM »
She'll also persist in saying numbers in Korean even though the chilluns can obviously count upwards of 5  :rolleyes: >:(

:police: Okay, number 1?

:-* 일번

:police: Next, number 2?

:-* 이번

:police: *shudders inside* Now, number 3.

:-* 삼번

WHY? THEY ARE IN GRADE 5. If they haven't learned 1, 2 and 3 by now, that's on them. CHRIST
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1246 on: September 27, 2016, 06:02:41 PM »
Are our coTs twins?? I feel like they must be related.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1247 on: September 27, 2016, 06:34:21 PM »
I'm not sure why the obsession with ramen, either.

It is served in the Business Class Lounge at the airport, so people obviously don't view it as complete crap food.

More surprising, Korean passengers will actually steal the packages and smuggle them inside their carry-on luggage.

Or traveling with ramen and soju in your luggage because western food is unhealthy  :rolleyes:

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1248 on: September 27, 2016, 06:39:29 PM »
Lunch today was:

Mystery meat slop mixed with tentacles
Soup that tasted like a scoop of the ocean
Noodles (for the mystery meat slop)
Rice of course

I know I shouldn't complain about a pre-prepared hot meal but I am starting to wonder why I am paying almost $80 a month for this. Today I just ate a big ball of rice but would be loads happier with a yogurt and hard boiled egg whites or something. Going to start drafting my excuses now.

I don't know. Most of the food at schools here I feel ranges from mediocre to good. I've never had cafeteria or school food that was actually bad. The worst is when they give you something like 'spaghetti' that is literally just noodles with a ketchup-based 'sauce,' or when half the meal is fried.

I think a lot of people go a little far with their disparaging descriptions of school food. They are kind of fun to read, though. "Soup that tastes like a scoop of the ocean," was fun.

Nah, sometimes it really is that bad. It depends on your school. My first school had horrible lunches that left me hungry every afternoon. There was no variety and simply not enough food. Most of the time each side dish would only have on ingredient, usually some boiled leaf or soggy cucumber. We had the same two or three soups rotated out, usually without little to no meat in them. The fish were all bones. The only dependable thing was the rice.

But after that school, lunch got a lot better. These days I almost look forward to it. We have variety and sometimes more options than there is room on the plate. From what I've seen on Facebook, some of my friends have even better lunches than I do. But trust me, it can get bad. I don't know exactly what factors play into good vs bad school food, but some students are being fed slop and not even enough of it to keel them full :/

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1249 on: September 27, 2016, 06:40:00 PM »
I just had a 2nd grade MS class, which is the worst one in the whole school. A couple of them were literally running around screaming in class, chasing another student. In the end, I took one of their phones and took it back to the office with me after class. She came to ask for it and brought a translator friend, who apologized and asked for the phone back. Meanwhile, the screaming girl just stood there the whole time. When I asked why she was the one asking, not the girls whose phone I took, the girl started crying and sighing like she was being persecuted. For 25 minutes this went on. Why not just talk and get it over with! Eventually, another teacher in the office just told her to talk already, but she carried on for another 5ish minutes before saying sorry teacher.

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #1250 on: September 28, 2016, 11:44:38 AM »
Why are the kids practicing Rudolphe the Red Nosed Freaking Reindeer on those stupid recorder like things. It's still September! And it sounds terrible! STOP IT!   :evil:

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1251 on: September 28, 2016, 01:09:10 PM »
Why are the kids practicing Rudolphe the Red Nosed Freaking Reindeer on those stupid recorder like things. It's still September! And it sounds terrible! STOP IT!   :evil:
I guess the idea is for them to sound not terrible by December.

Gasian

« Reply #1252 on: September 28, 2016, 01:18:07 PM »
We went to another teacher's open class the other day and I felt really bad for the foreign teacher. Her CT translated every little thing she said and then pretty much dominated the class, speaking Korean. I pointed out to my CT that doing this did not give the students time to process what they have heard in English and understand it, they only look to the CT to translate so they don't bother listening to the foreign teacher. I also pointed out that two teachers giving instructions and talking caused teacher talk time to increase and student talk time decreases.

She clearly doesn't care about that and  since then has begun translating everything I say. I have put up with it for 2 days now and I can no longer continue to allow it to happen.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1253 on: September 28, 2016, 01:53:03 PM »
My elem. coT: "What is the most important? For students to practice speaking English."

This same coT then proceeds to unnecessarily translate everything down to numbers lower than 5. Even the kids who can't read can count upwards of 5  :rolleyes: She also likes to blather on and often likes to have the "last pronunciation" on things.

Thankfully my middle school coTs are great or I'd have lost my mind long ago. They hop in when actually necessary for a translation issue and otherwise just let me do what I want, offering constructive criticism.

Worried about next year... might be nice if my elem. coT transferred (though the replacement could definitely be worse) and one middle coT is leaving due to pregnancy and the other is uncertain if she's staying another year. The year of change approaches  :cry:

Also, apparently the county decided they want to build a new apt building for all the teachers (which is kind of a big deal since this is an island and we don't really have those already) but this involves obliterating like 4 existing houses... I asked my coworkers where they'd live during construction. They laughed and said they didn't know... I honestly don't know how this is going to work. We don't even have a hotel or jimjjilbang here and there's no extra housing. It's hella rural. They were joking that those of us whose houses are unaffected are gonna have new roommates...  :undecided:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1254 on: September 28, 2016, 02:51:09 PM »
It's so annoying when a coteacher insists on making me explain the rules of an activity or game in English to third and fourth grade students, when the language in the instructions isn't part of the target language, and it's a game they haven't played before. Like, instead of forcing the students to listen to a minute or two of unrelated vocabulary that they can't understand, why not just explain the game to them in Korean? Or let me say a bit in English, then some Korean, then some English, then some Korean?

Being told instructions for a game in English is not improving the language skills of beginner students. It just wastes time and intimidates them.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1255 on: September 28, 2016, 03:14:07 PM »
Just found out that I'm a judge for some speech contest thing happening today. yay.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1256 on: September 28, 2016, 03:20:58 PM »
URG going back to talking about how rice and noodles are stupid and even stupider together, today my school served me noodles ON TOP of rice  :rolleyes:.  Those stupid slimy clear noodles.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1257 on: September 28, 2016, 03:50:01 PM »
URG going back to talking about how rice and noodles are stupid and even stupider together, today my school served me noodles ON TOP of rice  :rolleyes:.  Those stupid slimy clear noodles.

Noodles and rice are "stupid."

Imagine literally believing that two of the most common foods on earth are stupid.

If we want to talk about a stupid food, let's talk about cupcakes. They're so bad for you, they taste awful, and they're borderline poison. There is zero reason for cupcakes to exist.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1258 on: September 28, 2016, 03:54:44 PM »
It's so annoying when a coteacher insists on making me explain the rules of an activity or game in English to third and fourth grade students, when the language in the instructions isn't part of the target language, and it's a game they haven't played before. Like, instead of forcing the students to listen to a minute or two of unrelated vocabulary that they can't understand, why not just explain the game to them in Korean? Or let me say a bit in English, then some Korean, then some English, then some Korean?

Being told instructions for a game in English is not improving the language skills of beginner students. It just wastes time and intimidates them.

Agreed!

But I've never understood the general Waygook consensus of NO KOREAN TO BE SPOKEN IN MY CLASSROOM BY ANYONE AT ANY TIME!!!!!!!

Seems like madness to me  :-[

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1259 on: September 28, 2016, 03:58:02 PM »
She clearly doesn't care about that and  since then has begun translating everything I say. I have put up with it for 2 days now and I can no longer continue to allow it to happen.

So you're going to kill her?  :shocked:

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment