November 19, 2017, 09:13:21 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 563984 times)

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1220 on: September 28, 2016, 01:50:20 PM »
URG going back to talking about how rice and noodles are stupid and even stupider together, today my school served me noodles ON TOP of rice  :rolleyes:.  Those stupid slimy clear noodles.

Noodles and rice are "stupid."

Imagine literally believing that two of the most common foods on earth are stupid.

If we want to talk about a stupid food, let's talk about cupcakes. They're so bad for you, they taste awful, and they're borderline poison. There is zero reason for cupcakes to exist.

I admire your penchant for healthy foodstuffs but what cupcakes did you eat that tasted so horrid?? Store bought ones, sure, but have you never had a good (homemade/bakery made) one?? Ever??  :huh:  If they're made well, they just seem like mini cakes to me. Though I will say that I generally don't like the icing that's put on them. That usually gets scraped off.
I agree with sixtieshappy. I don't like cupcakes and actually I don't like cake either. When I eat them, I usually only eat the icing (if it's good), and spend the rest of my week sugar-free.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1221 on: September 28, 2016, 02:00:47 PM »
It's so annoying when a coteacher insists on making me explain the rules of an activity or game in English to third and fourth grade students, when the language in the instructions isn't part of the target language, and it's a game they haven't played before. Like, instead of forcing the students to listen to a minute or two of unrelated vocabulary that they can't understand, why not just explain the game to them in Korean? Or let me say a bit in English, then some Korean, then some English, then some Korean?

Being told instructions for a game in English is not improving the language skills of beginner students. It just wastes time and intimidates them.

Agreed!

But I've never understood the general Waygook consensus of NO KOREAN TO BE SPOKEN IN MY CLASSROOM BY ANYONE AT ANY TIME!!!!!!!

Seems like madness to me  :-[

Probably because any dissenting opinion is shouted down.

In general, but especially for lower level kids, I always try consider the time it would take to adequately explain the game in English as opposed to Korean and the bang for the buck I get wrt that time investment.  There are a number of cases where (imo) the time investment in explaining in English is not worth the loss in English practice time.

There's always the option to inadequately explain it in English (or Korean) which should never be the go to.

And Cowboy, I get you. I also have the opposite. My CT actually tells the kids to speak Korean when answering my questions...

Me: How are you today?
Student: Good, I ....
Her: 한국어. English is too hard.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1222 on: September 28, 2016, 02:25:36 PM »
I think you kind of answered your own question. One of the main things that makes a cupcake a cupcake is the icing. And the icing is gross. It's literally just sugar, colouring, and sometimes some flavour. Even you said you usually scrape off a large portion of a cupcake, because you don't like it. They're just an unnecessary food, that doesn't even taste good. It's like someone made super spongy bread, and just added a ton of sugar, and then a thick layer of sugar on top.

Ahh. I also like cake without icing though. I think the only two frostings i enjoy are cream cheese based or light whipped kinds.

So I still think of cupcakes as cupcakes even if I don't eat the icing.  :cheesy:

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #1223 on: September 28, 2016, 02:26:55 PM »
Yes, I'm aware. I was saying that a lot of new Korean teachers do believe in TEE, until they start getting some classroom experience. So the problem of people trying to use TEE isn't just limited to western teachers, or Korean teachers. There are lots of people who believe in it, at least until they learn what they're doing.

There are also lots of countries where TEE is used exclusively due to mixed nationality classrooms, and the kids there seem to learn English just fine.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1224 on: September 28, 2016, 02:49:24 PM »
I think you kind of answered your own question. One of the main things that makes a cupcake a cupcake is the icing. And the icing is gross. It's literally just sugar, colouring, and sometimes some flavour. Even you said you usually scrape off a large portion of a cupcake, because you don't like it. They're just an unnecessary food, that doesn't even taste good. It's like someone made super spongy bread, and just added a ton of sugar, and then a thick layer of sugar on top.

Ahh. I also like cake without icing though. I think the only two frostings i enjoy are cream cheese based or light whipped kinds.

So I still think of cupcakes as cupcakes even if I don't eat the icing.  :cheesy:
Cupcakes without icing are basically tiny muffins.

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #1225 on: September 28, 2016, 03:10:56 PM »
I hate the fact that I receive these improvement recommendations that are just shy of being helpful. "You need to plan the lessons more perfectly." Do you want me to make lesson plans for all of my classes now or should I boost the book's content with more non-book things? Have the homework prepared before hand - okay, can do, but when is it going to be translated? There isn't enough time in the work day for me to do the tasks and have my coT review and approve it.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1226 on: September 28, 2016, 03:21:19 PM »

Actually, muffins have, during my lifetime, been corrupted to be basically cupcakes.

They used to be bran-filled things that grandfathers ate for roughage.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1227 on: September 28, 2016, 03:28:22 PM »
I hate the fact that I receive these improvement recommendations that are just shy of being helpful. "You need to plan the lessons more perfectly." Do you want me to make lesson plans for all of my classes now or should I boost the book's content with more non-book things? Have the homework prepared before hand - okay, can do, but when is it going to be translated? There isn't enough time in the work day for me to do the tasks and have my coT review and approve it.

You get improvement recommendations?...

My wife is Korean and works in graphic design and gets the same kind of content-less criticism from her higher-ups, usually from people who wouldn't know the first thing about design. There's probably really know wrong with your work (as far as they can tell) but since they've gotta say something, might as well make it highly negative and dismotivating for the underling/ego-boosting for themselves. :lipsrsealed:

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1228 on: September 28, 2016, 03:28:33 PM »

Actually, muffins have, during my lifetime, been corrupted to be basically cupcakes.

They used to be actual food that was good.

Corrected that for you.

Thanks.  😊

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1229 on: September 28, 2016, 03:51:32 PM »
This is an ultra tepid rant but I'm curious if anyone has advice for this kind of situation:

Around exam season, I'll get questions from my CoT about grammar/asked to scan for errors on the test. There's almost always at least one or two tiny things (missing articles, tense confusion, whatever). I try to point it out in a laid-back way but they are always so hard on themselves when it happens. Like I'm going to judge them for not being perfectly fluent in two languages when I can hardly order coffee in Korean.

Anyway, outside of delivering awkward reassurance, what do y'all do? Just let it go? It's gotten to the point where I'm tempted to just let the errors slide (of course I could never) because it seems to bring out so much self-loathing.

Gasian

« Reply #1230 on: September 28, 2016, 03:59:59 PM »
She clearly doesn't care about that and  since then has begun translating everything I say. I have put up with it for 2 days now and I can no longer continue to allow it to happen.

So you're going to kill her?  :shocked:

yes. :blank:

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1231 on: September 28, 2016, 04:08:41 PM »
... when I can hardly order coffee in Korean.

ProTip: Italian confuses them, so use Korean-accented Italian. 

Offline coxy15

• Waygookin
« Reply #1232 on: September 28, 2016, 04:18:10 PM »
Yes, I'm aware. I was saying that a lot of new Korean teachers do believe in TEE, until they start getting some classroom experience. So the problem of people trying to use TEE isn't just limited to western teachers, or Korean teachers. There are lots of people who believe in it, at least until they learn what they're doing.

There are also lots of countries where TEE is used exclusively due to mixed nationality classrooms, and the kids there seem to learn English just fine.

Erm... what is TEE?

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #1233 on: September 28, 2016, 04:22:27 PM »

Erm... what is TEE?

Teaching English in English

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1234 on: September 28, 2016, 04:39:48 PM »
The food delivery service I used to use went out of business.  :cry:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1235 on: September 28, 2016, 04:50:01 PM »
Erm... what is TEE?

Teaching English English. Brits love to use it, it means "Real English."

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1236 on: September 28, 2016, 05:04:03 PM »
Some Millennials cry about corrupt politicians avoiding taxes and that they need to pay higher tax rates while they illegally tutor and don't pay tax. Then whine when their home country wants a piece too.

Funny how these millennials think.

Feel the bern... :)

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #1237 on: September 28, 2016, 05:44:42 PM »
Some Millennials cry about corrupt politicians avoiding taxes and that they need to pay higher tax rates while they illegally tutor and don't pay tax. Then whine when their home country wants a piece too.

U madd, bro?
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1238 on: September 28, 2016, 06:47:25 PM »

U madd, bro?

Yes, I'm ranting and raving!

Some millennials need to practice what they preach.

Big corporations are avoiding taxes blah blah blah...
Then when they do it "I'm just tutoring I don't need to pay taxes"

I love being angry and letting out a good rant once in a blue moon.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1239 on: September 28, 2016, 07:32:16 PM »

[/quote]
I love being angry and letting out a good rant once in a blue moon.
[/quote]

Don't you mean once in a black moon?  :wink:

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/29224/20160926/black-moon-2016-what-where-when-see.htm