October 20, 2017, 01:20:50 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 523376 times)

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1200 on: September 26, 2016, 06:11:48 PM »
Well, first of all, I'll start with what annoyed me about South Korea, which would be feeling useless. I don't need to explain to anyone here that we ESL teachers are essentially babysitters. That can be a real emotional drain on someone; it was on me. I really cared about teaching and often felt handcuffed by the South Korean education system.

That being said, things like public transportation are absolutely reasons why I miss South Korea. It's just so much better than where I live now. Things were cheaper as well. I miss my friends and some of my better students. I miss being able to work with kids and see them develop as English speakers, even if I wasn't always able to fully serve in my capacity as a teacher. I lived in South Korea for nearly a decade, so it certainly grew on me in many ways.

Oh, and I'll add to this previous statement, that being able to walk to 김밥천국 at 1 am when I need some food is a huge, but easily overlooked plus. I can't believe how many things close at 9 pm where I live now, don't deliver, or are too far to get to late at night.

It's gonna take more than Gimbap Heaven to convince me~ :afro:

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1201 on: September 26, 2016, 06:14:47 PM »
Well, first of all, I'll start with what annoyed me about South Korea, which would be feeling useless. I don't need to explain to anyone here that we ESL teachers are essentially babysitters. That can be a real emotional drain on someone; it was on me. I really cared about teaching and often felt handcuffed by the South Korean education system.

That being said, things like public transportation are absolutely reasons why I miss South Korea. It's just so much better than where I live now. Things were cheaper as well. I miss my friends and some of my better students. I miss being able to work with kids and see them develop as English speakers, even if I wasn't always able to fully serve in my capacity as a teacher. I lived in South Korea for nearly a decade, so it certainly grew on me in many ways.

Oh, and I'll add to this previous statement, that being able to walk to 김밥천국 at 1 am when I need some food is a huge, but easily overlooked plus. I can't believe how many things close at 9 pm where I live now, don't deliver, or are too far to get to late at night.

Hey, to each his own. Living in South Korea was a huge part of my life. I can understand why some people don't like it, but it's easy to overlook a lot of the little positives over there.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1202 on: September 26, 2016, 06:15:34 PM »
@Mister Tim:

if possible i would really recommend taking an in-class korean class. i'm kinda the same, have no motivation at all to self-study korean but if a take a class it kinda forces you to study during the class periods.

I'd really like to, since I tend to thrive in language classroom environments. Unfortunately, the only class in my area that I know about is a 35 minute bus ride away on a Saturday morning. I have a desire to learn Korean, but so far my desire to not wake up early on Saturday to take a crowded bus to school seems to be winning.  :laugh:

I might see what I can find by way of a tutor, though.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1203 on: September 26, 2016, 06:16:22 PM »

I've been looking forward to going back home at the end of the school year but now you're reminding me of all the things I'm gonna miss haha

Still, not sure staying here is worth the loneliness and lack of job satisfaction.

Offline pokute

• Veteran
« Reply #1204 on: September 26, 2016, 06:20:45 PM »

EDIT: again a multitude of reasons could be causing your lack of interest in improvement.  It's really a complex psychological process and just to name a few factors: isolation, depression, alienation, etc... if you struggle with any of these then productivity really decreases.

That's pretty on-the-nose, I think. The problem there is that most of the solutions I can come up with to those problems would be made easier were I more fluent in the language. I'd be less lonely if I could meet more people, I could meet more people if I could speak Korean, I could learn more Korean if I weren't so lonely, etc etc. That sort of thing. It's frustrating.  :laugh:

Well Tim, I hope you find waygook to be a good start for taking care of the loneliness part.  I struggle with it as well.  Community building is just that much more of a chore in this kind of setting and it's expected.

Offline strugglebunny

• Veteran
« Reply #1205 on: September 26, 2016, 06:21:19 PM »

I'd really like to, since I tend to thrive in language classroom environments. Unfortunately, the only class in my area that I know about is a 35 minute bus ride away on a Saturday morning. I have a desire to learn Korean, but so far my desire to not wake up early on Saturday to take a crowded bus to school seems to be winning.  :laugh:

iTalki is a pretty good place for getting a language tutor. I felt like I was making pretty good progress between self study and my online lessons that I had twice a week. I would have kept it up, but I really don't use Korean enough out in the wild to justify the expense.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1206 on: September 26, 2016, 06:22:39 PM »
@Mister Tim:

if possible i would really recommend taking an in-class korean class. i'm kinda the same, have no motivation at all to self-study korean but if a take a class it kinda forces you to study during the class periods.

100% recommend finding a tutor. I pay 20,000 per hour for one and it's helped me so much. Its nice to have someone to practice with and she keeps me on track so I actually study.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1207 on: September 26, 2016, 06:24:45 PM »
I am so sad, lonely, and depressed in this country.

I know the job is easy. I know I shouldn't be complaining.

But every single day is a struggle and I still have 161 left on my countdown app.

(more of a whine/moan than a rant/vent, but whatever)

I sympathize with your misery. It's sad that you're unhappy. I wish you were happy.

But - anyone who says this job is 'easy' probably either a) doesn't care about their job very much, or b) is really bad and lazy at their job.

I don't think either of those apply to you. But, yeah. People who go on about how easy teaching English in Korea is are generally bad teachers.

I'm pretty unhappy here myself. I negotiated a location that is close to my friends in the interview, but when I got here, put me in the opposite side of the country to where we negotiated. :\ Now because of the distance, I can't meet my friends as conveniently as I'd like, and I'm finding it very difficult to make new friends here.

As for your comment about easy being a sign of a bad teacher. I agree a bit. I find this job easy, but also incredibly frustrating at times. I think I'm a bad teacher, but I am trying very hard to improve. Bad as in, I still haven't found my lessons to be effective. Even my co-teachers note they can tell I am trying hard to improve though!
However, after 5 months here, they are still not telling me where I need to improve, even though they have the English level to do so, even when asked directly. :( As I get told "some parts are good, other parts need to be changed."

I get the same thing Kayos. They'll tell me I need to make changes but refuse to tell me what to change... and then get mad when I don't change it "good enough" or just don't make changes at all because I don't know what to do. Most of my improvement has come from talking to my epik-appointed mentor and just copying what another really successful teacher at my school does.

It sucks doesn't it. I had a 90 minute meeting with my 2 co-teachers, that speak enough English to help me, and after 90 minutes I got nothing useful out of it, while they got some creative ideas from me, that they might be able to use for their lessons. :\ (the focus of the meeting was meant to help me improve my lessons).

One of the newer teachers here is a real teacher, so I'm planning on asking for advice (we work in the same school on a Tuesday and share an office space). I wish I had a mentor I could ask haha. Also, one of the teachers is friends with the teacher I replaced, and I've been given contact info. I also got told that their lessons were a lot better than mine so, I figured if I can find out what they have done different, I'll be able to try and replicate them so they will be better.

I've been asking other teachers here for what they do (not lessons, but ideas for lessons), most work from the book though, which isn't helpful to me, as I'm not allowed to do the book. The 1 teacher here who doesn't gave me a quick run down of what he does. I've tried to mirror it, and I'm not sure if I would call it a success or not. I went from like 5% of the students doing work, to about 90% - they really enjoy it, but I think confusion has gone up a lot too (as I'm not sure they are understanding what they have been writing - there are a few that are).

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #1208 on: September 26, 2016, 06:25:48 PM »
My 3rd graders have discovered the F-bomb and the middle finger. Awesome lesson  >:(

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1209 on: September 26, 2016, 06:29:43 PM »

I'm pretty unhappy here myself. I negotiated a location that is close to my friends in the interview, but when I got here, put me in the opposite side of the country to where we negotiated. :\ Now because of the distance, I can't meet my friends as conveniently as I'd like, and I'm finding it very difficult to make new friends here.

As for your comment about easy being a sign of a bad teacher. I agree a bit. I find this job easy, but also incredibly frustrating at times. I think I'm a bad teacher, but I am trying very hard to improve. Bad as in, I still haven't found my lessons to be effective. Even my co-teachers note they can tell I am trying hard to improve though!
However, after 5 months here, they are still not telling me where I need to improve, even though they have the English level to do so, even when asked directly. :( As I get told "some parts are good, other parts need to be changed."

I get the same thing Kayos. They'll tell me I need to make changes but refuse to tell me what to change... and then get mad when I don't change it "good enough" or just don't make changes at all because I don't know what to do. Most of my improvement has come from talking to my epik-appointed mentor and just copying what another really successful teacher at my school does.

It sucks doesn't it. I had a 90 minute meeting with my 2 co-teachers, that speak enough English to help me, and after 90 minutes I got nothing useful out of it, while they got some creative ideas from me, that they might be able to use for their lessons. :\ (the focus of the meeting was meant to help me improve my lessons).

One of the newer teachers here is a real teacher, so I'm planning on asking for advice (we work in the same school on a Tuesday and share an office space). I wish I had a mentor I could ask haha. Also, one of the teachers is friends with the teacher I replaced, and I've been given contact info. I also got told that their lessons were a lot better than mine so, I figured if I can find out what they have done different, I'll be able to try and replicate them so they will be better.

I've been asking other teachers here for what they do (not lessons, but ideas for lessons), most work from the book though, which isn't helpful to me, as I'm not allowed to do the book. The 1 teacher here who doesn't gave me a quick run down of what he does. I've tried to mirror it, and I'm not sure if I would call it a success or not. I went from like 5% of the students doing work, to about 90% - they really enjoy it, but I think confusion has gone up a lot too (as I'm not sure they are understanding what they have been writing - there are a few that are).

Ah, yeah, that definitely makes it harder - not being able to use the book. I use the book for 2/3 lessons. Coming up with creative ideas can really be a pain. I've had a few lessons which were really successful though. What level do you teach?

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #1210 on: September 26, 2016, 06:35:04 PM »
I hate it when one thinks of a totally awesome, witty, cutting, sarcastic comment to post on a thread, but when one gleefully goes to hit the 'reply' button, one finds that it has disappeared.

MODS! YOU CAN'T LOCK A THREAD UNTIL I GET MY 2 CENTS IN DANGNAMIT!!!  >:(  :cry:

Offline pokute

• Veteran
« Reply #1211 on: September 26, 2016, 06:37:34 PM »

Hey, to each his own. Living in South Korea was a huge part of my life. I can understand why some people don't like it, but it's easy to overlook a lot of the little positives over there.

Things I dislike about Korea as a single female:  endless attention of ajjossis, feeling vulnerable if I dress a certain way.  In my rural area I'm the only western looking person and it attracts more attention that I am comfortable with.   There are a  lot of male immigrant workers and that makes it even worse.  I never stay out after dark anymore.  Say what you will.

Staring and standing out in general.  This is the hardest thing that is ongoing.  It's turned me very inward and hyper alert of my surroundings all the time.  It' s something that I really struggle with because I'm just very introverted and self conscious and don't want to stand out.

English and foreignness is still very much a strange thing here, and the paradox of Korean industrialization, (technology, the epic Incheon airport, public services, transportation, fashion, pop culture) and economic power in contrast to its conservative and uneducated society is frustrating.  I think it's similar in rural America as well.  But just there's being here in Korea, and it's a unique thing.

Korean education system: tiring, tired of baby sitting, suffocating, rigid, too much hierarchy.

Things I like about Korea and appreciate: Quickness of getting things done (though it's at the expense of quality), but they get done to some fashion.  Transit, banking, cheaper healthcare for common things and easy to have health insurance.  Nice people in general when you get to know them.  Strong work ethic or sense of responsibility (excluding drinking culture and driving, older generation things, public hygiene).  Easy to not be lazy by walking a lot, healthier and cheaper local food (but more fast food and junk food is appearing here).  The list goes on..

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1212 on: September 26, 2016, 08:52:48 PM »
I know some people would prefer if their coTs talked to them, but with one I would be happier if she would stop asking me questions. The way she does it just seems nosy. Today at lunch she said the secretary wanted to know what my favorite American food was, to which I replied, "I don't have just one." She told me to just pick one and started saying typical ones, like "pizza? hamburger? etc." I repeated myself.

Then she asked me, "Do you like vegetables? Or meat?"   :blank:
"I like both."
"What?"
"I like both."
"Hmm, yes, that's good."

:blank: :blank: :blank:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #1213 on: September 27, 2016, 10:42:34 AM »
I feel sad when people disrespect Lil B. Lil B loves all of us and wants to be our friend.

TY basedgod.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1214 on: September 27, 2016, 10:45:36 AM »
Dear Korean Drivers,

If you're planning on making a left or right turn in the near future, get in the respective lane. There's a reason there is a giant line of cars in that lane, and no matter how special you think you are, your time is worth no more or less than those who are patiently waiting in that lane. If I see you driving up in the other lane and then suddenly deciding you want to get in it, I'm not letting you in front of me. I only wish that more people would do the same. Didn't anyone teach you that butting in line is childish and rude regardless of your culture?

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #1215 on: September 27, 2016, 11:01:01 AM »
Dear Korean Drivers,

If you're planning on making a left or right turn in the near future, get in the respective lane. There's a reason there is a giant line of cars in that lane, and no matter how special you think you are, your time is worth no more or less than those who are patiently waiting in that lane. If I see you driving up in the other lane and then suddenly deciding you want to get in it, I'm not letting you in front of me. I only wish that more people would do the same. Didn't anyone teach you that butting in line is childish and rude regardless of your culture?

My guess is, no.

Or they are just overgrown children.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #1216 on: September 27, 2016, 11:04:03 AM »
80f today and my school won't turn on AC for the rest of the year. My office is on the 5th floor of the school. Gonna be a long day  :huh:

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1217 on: September 27, 2016, 11:28:01 AM »
I'm having one of those "I don't know if I can do this anymore" days.

Way back in April I posted about how frustrating it was when my co would say "yeah" or "uh" every other word, and I thought I would get used to it but I still haven't. I'm trying to explain some changes we need to make for our open class plan and my co goes "mm mm mm" literally the entire time I'm talking. We finished our "conversation" and she's understood maybe 25% of what I've said. Her English is horrid and if she doesn't agree with what I'm saying or doesn't care she just pretends not to hear. I wanted to stay another year at this school but if she is still here I don't know if I can.

I'm tired of the food. The hierarchy is irritating. I don't like to stay cooped up but it takes ages to go anywhere. (And of course I understand that since buses don't have a direct route to where I want to go it will take a bit longer, but I'm just tired of being on public transport so much.)

I do like the kids and even though classes are huge I enjoy teaching, I'm just having an autumn slump or something, which is ridiculous because we've just had a couple of breaks so shouldn't I be more energized? I dunno.

I think things will start to look up once this inane open class is over. And if my co says she's not going to stay here for another year.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1218 on: September 27, 2016, 11:52:31 AM »
I'm having one of those "I don't know if I can do this anymore" days.

Way back in April I posted about how frustrating it was when my co would say "yeah" or "uh" every other word, and I thought I would get used to it but I still haven't. I'm trying to explain some changes we need to make for our open class plan and my co goes "mm mm mm" literally the entire time I'm talking. We finished our "conversation" and she's understood maybe 25% of what I've said. Her English is horrid and if she doesn't agree with what I'm saying or doesn't care she just pretends not to hear. I wanted to stay another year at this school but if she is still here I don't know if I can.

I'm tired of the food. The hierarchy is irritating. I don't like to stay cooped up but it takes ages to go anywhere. (And of course I understand that since buses don't have a direct route to where I want to go it will take a bit longer, but I'm just tired of being on public transport so much.)

I do like the kids and even though classes are huge I enjoy teaching, I'm just having an autumn slump or something, which is ridiculous because we've just had a couple of breaks so shouldn't I be more energized? I dunno.

I think things will start to look up once this inane open class is over. And if my co says she's not going to stay here for another year.

Maybe you need a change of schools? Maybe if you get a job elsewhere, closer to your home, it seems like it would eliminate most of the annoyances.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1219 on: September 27, 2016, 12:39:38 PM »

Ah, yeah, that definitely makes it harder - not being able to use the book. I use the book for 2/3 lessons. Coming up with creative ideas can really be a pain. I've had a few lessons which were really successful though. What level do you teach?

All 3 middle school grades and grade 6 elementary. My elementary co, just wants whatever I do for my middle schools, as I'm only there 1 day a week. We do make it a bit easier for them, even though I think they are a bit better at English than my middle school students.
They want me to build my own curriculum, however, I'm not really creative enough to do that well. I feel like I'd be much better suited to making things around the book.

I've had a couple of my lessons be successful, but most have been flops. Also, my middle school co-teachers don't give me any useful feedback. My elementary co gives me lots of useful stuff, but she is the last person to have my lessons, so I only get useful stuff once I won't be using it again for the year (it's good for the future though haha)

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment