September 25, 2017, 08:08:27 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 489454 times)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2016, 05:52:28 PM »
Everything is pissing me off today, and it's not just because it's Monday. Note, I'm not PMSing for anyone who's curious.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2016, 05:54:45 PM »
After 3+ in a relationship, taking her home to meet my family in the US last January, i basically told her it's time to sh*t or get off the pot.

I have made it very clear that i love her but i have not been happy here for two years, only staying for her. Yet no progress has been made to get us moving back home together.

Ultimatums are never good but i told her that we either need to get married by next Spring or i am gone after this contract.

Well, 8 more months until legal weed, live rock n roll, and football. What a waste.

If she marries you because you gave her an ultimatum, your marriage won't be a happy one. (Take that with a grain of salt, as I'm in a foul mood today. I don't mean any offense to you.)

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2016, 05:57:42 PM »
Everything is pissing me off today, and it's not just because it's Monday. Note, I'm not PMSing for anyone who's curious.

I was gonna say that that doesn't seem like something people here would be curious about but after reading that pregnancy scare thread I guess nothing is TMI for waygook.org.  :undecided:

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2016, 06:01:28 PM »

I'm leaving in five weeks. It honestly feels weirdly liberating and kinda nice to just say "OH GOSH REALLY? SORRY! MY BAD!" and then continue your day like nothing happened.

I'm not leaving anytime soon but I'm already kinda at that place. I won't go outta my way to be rude but I don't really worry about the inconsequential stuff anymore.

I wonder what I'll be saying when I'm 5 weeks out from leaving though  :laugh:

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2016, 06:21:59 PM »
After 3+ in a relationship, taking her home to meet my family in the US last January, i basically told her it's time to sh*t or get off the pot.

I have made it very clear that i love her but i have not been happy here for two years, only staying for her. Yet no progress has been made to get us moving back home together.

Ultimatums are never good but i told her that we either need to get married by next Spring or i am gone after this contract.

Well, 8 more months until legal weed, live rock n roll, and football. What a waste.

If she marries you because you gave her an ultimatum, your marriage won't be a happy one. (Take that with a grain of salt, as I'm in a foul mood today. I don't mean any offense to you.)

I think he is implying that she left him...

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2016, 06:24:09 PM »

I'm leaving in five weeks. It honestly feels weirdly liberating and kinda nice to just say "OH GOSH REALLY? SORRY! MY BAD!" and then continue your day like nothing happened.

I'm not leaving anytime soon but I'm already kinda at that place. I won't go outta my way to be rude but I don't really worry about the inconsequential stuff anymore.

I wonder what I'll be saying when I'm 5 weeks out from leaving though  :laugh:

I am in the same place. I'm out in Feb and can't even pretend to care about anything that isn't immediate life threatening.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2016, 06:42:19 PM »

People who assume that when a woman is having a bad day, it's due to PMS, are literally low-quality people.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2016, 06:45:28 PM »

Getting married and moving back to your spouse's country, permanently, has got to be mad spooky. We come over here, and we know we can always just bounce if things get unpleasant. But like, literally leaving your country because you're getting married - that's going to be pretty serious biz. I've only been thinking about this lately, because eventually my girlfriend and I plan on moving back to Canada, too.

I wish you guys the best of luck.

Offline toddingumi

• Veteran
« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2016, 06:59:12 PM »

Getting married and moving back to your spouse's country, permanently, has got to be mad spooky. We come over here, and we know we can always just bounce if things get unpleasant. But like, literally leaving your country because you're getting married - that's going to be pretty serious biz. I've only been thinking about this lately, because eventually my girlfriend and I plan on moving back to Canada, too.

I wish you guys the best of luck.

None taken. Basically said it out of complete frustration and unhappiness with living here. Just couldn't keep waiting year after year. The fact that i am 41 adds to the situation. If i were a young whipper snapper like some of you guys i could handle being here a few more years.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2016, 12:23:30 PM »

I think he is implying that she left him...

Apparently I can't read between the lines when I'm angry. I think you are right.

None taken. Basically said it out of complete frustration and unhappiness with living here. Just couldn't keep waiting year after year. The fact that i am 41 adds to the situation. If i were a young whipper snapper like some of you guys i could handle being here a few more years.

I'm sorry about that... I was in a long-term relationship that ended recently as well so I understand. I hope things get better from here for you. :)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2016, 12:26:07 PM »

People who assume that when a woman is having a bad day, it's due to PMS, are literally low-quality people.

Yeah. Not trying to imply that anyone here does it, although I'm sure there are some who do, but I sometimes feel compelled to add that as a little disclaimer to let people know that I am genuinely having a bad day, even in real life.

Gasian

« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2016, 12:46:45 PM »
Go to use photo-copier and it's not working. Flashing error message is all in Korean but includes the number 3. Open door number 3 on the photocopier and remove piece of paper that's clearly jammed in there. Close door. Photocopier immediately resumes functioning as normal. Continue with my day.

Fast forward a few hours and everyone in the office is yammering about the photocopier and a random guy is standing there looking very displeased and talking very angrily. They ask me if I've used the photocopier today and I told them yeah, there was some paper jammed in there so I took it out. It's fine now.

Oh. We called an engineer because it was broken. You wasted his time. You should not have touched the photocopier.

Oh. Ok. I'm very sorry. Next time there's a single sheet of A4 paper stuck in a readily accessible compartment, and the screen is flashing in your face directing you how to easily resolve this issue, I'll be sure to instead cancel my class because I can't provide the worksheets I need and call an engineer immediately.

My bad. My bad.

Fck me. I'm angry for you.

I, too, know the feeling of doing something fairly straightforward and it blows my co-workers minds. In my case it's usually positive, but it's something so easy and straightforward, and you get stared at like you cured cancer.

Yup. Like when the kids play around with the touch screen and they adjust the RBG so that the screen is green.  Teachers freak out. I say "hey I can fix it". They shake their heads "no you can't, must call someone". I lean forward adjust the RBG settings to default...... Apparently I should not have done that because now it means I have set EVERYTHING to default and things won't work correctly. I shrug and walk away. Important screen man  arrives to solve the waygook problem, teachers tell him what I did. He says it's okay, and leaves. *smirk

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2016, 01:27:12 PM »
I've been playing the werewolf mafia game with my students since finals have finished, and while it's been chaotic, for the most part it's gone pretty well. Enter one of my low-level third-grade classes, taught by my corporal punishment coteacher. They don't pay attention when I'm explaining, because they're convinced that since they know it's a mafia game they know the rules. No, you don't, this is a variation. I tell them this several times. They proceed to mess up during gameplay (not knowing who was supposed to wake up when, even though this is fairly straightfoward....if they had listened to the instructions) and when I chastise them, one of them shoots back at me that I ought to speak Korean.

It hasn't happened that many times, but I am just so ****** sick of being told by my students in my English class to speak Korean. They know I don't speak Korean, let alone enough to lead class in Korean, and besides, this is English class. Then even though they tell me to speak Korean they act SHOCKED when I write Korean words on the board. And like... Jesus, this is your country, you are able to easily get around because you speak Korean, you think I don't wish I was fluent or at least conversational enough for decent Korean interaction? Obviously it would make my life easier! And I study every day! As you little shits should know, learning a language is hard. If I could speak Korean, I could really give you a piece of my mind.

In the end I told them: sorry, we're never playing this game again because you were so rude.

Offline reudibeat

• Veteran
« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2016, 01:33:55 PM »
When you ask your co to help demonstrate a game and, even though we've already had a successful run of it in another class, they **** it up so everyone gets confused.  >:(

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2016, 01:38:34 PM »
I've been playing the werewolf mafia game with my students since finals have finished, and while it's been chaotic, for the most part it's gone pretty well. Enter one of my low-level third-grade classes, taught by my corporal punishment coteacher. They don't pay attention when I'm explaining, because they're convinced that since they know it's a mafia game they know the rules. No, you don't, this is a variation. I tell them this several times. They proceed to mess up during gameplay (not knowing who was supposed to wake up when, even though this is fairly straightfoward....if they had listened to the instructions) and when I chastise them, one of them shoots back at me that I ought to speak Korean.

It hasn't happened that many times, but I am just so ****** sick of being told by my students in my English class to speak Korean. They know I don't speak Korean, let alone enough to lead class in Korean, and besides, this is English class. Then even though they tell me to speak Korean they act SHOCKED when I write Korean words on the board. And like... Jesus, this is your country, you are able to easily get around because you speak Korean, you think I don't wish I was fluent or at least conversational enough for decent Korean interaction? Obviously it would make my life easier! And I study every day! As you little shits should know, learning a language is hard. If I could speak Korean, I could really give you a piece of my mind.

In the end I told them: sorry, we're never playing this game again because you were so rude.

Oh god, I understand your pain. In my case, I'm fluent but I'm not allowed to let the students know. It takes everything within me to keep from exploding at the kids in Korean, and I've been told my speaking style in Korean is rather intimidating even when I don't mean to be. :angel: I don't really even drink but sometimes the kids make me want to.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #135 on: July 12, 2016, 01:41:13 PM »
This is pretty picky but I find myself exhausted by the lack of scientific awareness here. It's as if people in this country never want to know the reasons behind what they believe or what they do. For example, I've been seeing a lot of dogs shaved down to the skin because it's summer. They think their dogs can't breathe/are overheating because they are panting or seem hot. A quick Google search will tell you that's dangerous and you could risk your dog getting sunburned! Actually the complete lack of awareness re: animals is baffling at times, even just the basics. I've mentioned wanting a pet and the responses I get are "so get one!" and I tell them I'm not home enough and my apartment is too small. I'd rather wait until I get home and have a yard/don't live in a shoe box so the animal can have a free and clean living space. The responses? "Ah but as long as you give the animal lots of love it's okay!" ... that's not how it works.

It's exhausting because people are constantly dishing out advice, telling me to eat this or do this for my health or some specific benefit. The truth is I ignore them until I get a chance to google it because WHO KNOWS what their thought process is. They don't give a f*ck about the science of ANYTHING. I'm tired of hearing "It's summer, but I'm sick... how!? It's hot!" How have people in this country not realized the weather isn't in total control of your health?? Wash your hands every now and then/stop sharing soup with people who are ill/allow people to take sick days and maybe you wouldn't be sick so damn often.

I'm tired of having conversations with people spouting bullshit because they never learned to check their sources. It's more than just science/health related too, it seems like they'll believe any rumor about something another culture does and leave it at face value. Like, a Korean friend will send me some obviously fake/staged video and be like "this is happening in ______!" or some cheesy Japanese paranormal show "they found a ghost!" and I say it seems fake and they're like "Ah.. yeah maybe." MAYBE? Gullible is an understatement. Don't they have information on Naver? I keep hearing about how much better Naver is than Google so... use it!

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #136 on: July 12, 2016, 01:41:48 PM »

Oh god, I understand your pain. In my case, I'm fluent but I'm not allowed to let the students know. It takes everything within me to keep from exploding at the kids in Korean, and I've been told my speaking style in Korean is rather intimidating even when I don't mean to be. :angel: I don't really even drink but sometimes the kids make me want to.
Yeah it's like... even if I could speak Korean, since I'm the "native" English teacher, I'm only supposed to speak English with you (unlike the Korean teachers who only seem to speak Korean with you  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: )

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #137 on: July 12, 2016, 01:43:16 PM »
My visiting school lunch is absolute shite. But I don't have time to make lunches at home because of grad school :(

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2016, 01:53:11 PM »

Yeah it's like... even if I could speak Korean, since I'm the "native" English teacher, I'm only supposed to speak English with you (unlike the Korean teachers who only seem to speak Korean with you  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: )

Ugh, honestly, and the thing about KTs using so much Korean during class that just riles me up is that it encourages the kids to actively seek them out rather than trying to use English with the NET, even if it's just to ask a simple question. Why use English when the KT will respond in Korean, right?

Which brings me to the next point: if the KT will be using so much Korean, anyway, why can't I just use Korean (obviously only when it's needed) and just do the class on my own? It's kind of pointless to have the KT there when I can just do everything myself IF ONLY YOU WOULD LET ME USE KOREAN OMFG.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2016, 02:05:47 PM »
I have been told to do activities with the students post-exams. Okay, that's easy enough. It just stings when I look across the hall and see Despicable Me: Part Whatever playing on the television.  :cry:

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment