September 22, 2017, 01:28:26 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 486142 times)

Online yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1180 on: September 26, 2016, 05:21:54 PM »
Why do people open up a sheaf of papers and then only put some of them in the printer tray...
It's designed to accept all of the papers that com in one set of plastic wrap.

Laziness, I imagine.

I think my school fears paper jams so they think putting in less paper at a time will somehow help.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1181 on: September 26, 2016, 05:23:20 PM »
Why do people open up a sheaf of papers and then only put some of them in the printer tray...
It's designed to accept all of the papers that com in one set of plastic wrap.

Laziness, I imagine.

I think my school fears paper jams so they think putting in less paper at a time will somehow help.
Mine only fits about half the pack for some reason.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1182 on: September 26, 2016, 05:25:16 PM »
I am so sad, lonely, and depressed in this country.

I know the job is easy. I know I shouldn't be complaining.

But every single day is a struggle and I still have 161 left on my countdown app.

(more of a whine/moan than a rant/vent, but whatever)

I sympathize with your misery. It's sad that you're unhappy. I wish you were happy.

But - anyone who says this job is 'easy' probably either a) doesn't care about their job very much, or b) is really bad and lazy at their job.

I don't think either of those apply to you. But, yeah. People who go on about how easy teaching English in Korea is are generally bad teachers.

I'm pretty unhappy here myself. I negotiated a location that is close to my friends in the interview, but when I got here, put me in the opposite side of the country to where we negotiated. :\ Now because of the distance, I can't meet my friends as conveniently as I'd like, and I'm finding it very difficult to make new friends here.

As for your comment about easy being a sign of a bad teacher. I agree a bit. I find this job easy, but also incredibly frustrating at times. I think I'm a bad teacher, but I am trying very hard to improve. Bad as in, I still haven't found my lessons to be effective. Even my co-teachers note they can tell I am trying hard to improve though!
However, after 5 months here, they are still not telling me where I need to improve, even though they have the English level to do so, even when asked directly. :( As I get told "some parts are good, other parts need to be changed."

I get the same thing Kayos. They'll tell me I need to make changes but refuse to tell me what to change... and then get mad when I don't change it "good enough" or just don't make changes at all because I don't know what to do. Most of my improvement has come from talking to my epik-appointed mentor and just copying what another really successful teacher at my school does.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1183 on: September 26, 2016, 05:28:13 PM »
I really, really want to improve my Korean. I'm coming up on the end of my fifth year here, and it's a bit embarrassing how fluent I'm not. I mean, I'm not completely lacking in skills or anything like that. I can get by. Shopping, "where is the blabla," restaurants, those kinds of situations: I can hold my own. I can even have extremely basic conversational exchanges of the small talk variety.

None of that, however, is really enough to have a meaningful friendship with someone whose English is the same as or worse than my Korean. The number of NETs I know is dwindling as time goes by, so if I want to have any sort of social life here, it would behoove me to be able to communicate more effectively in Korean.

All that said, though (and here's the rant/vent part): I just can't for the life of me force myself to give a sh!t about the language. Whenever I try to find Korean music or TV I like, I'm met with disappointment. Whenever I sit down to study it, my eyes just glaze over. When I actually power my way through a chapter from a Korean coursebook, I forget by the end of the week.

I love languages and linguistics, so this is extra frustrating for me. Hell, one of the reasons I wanted to come teach in another country was to have the opportunity to learn a new language in the country where it's spoken. At first I thought I was just averse to studying on my own at home, but I started using a Japanese Kanji learning program last winter and I've managed to stick with it every day for eight months straight now.

There's just.... I don't know....  something about Korean that just makes me... not care?

Anyone else feel the same way? Has anyone felt the same way, but managed to overcome that and learn it anyway? I'd love to hear how you managed.

Online kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1184 on: September 26, 2016, 05:28:50 PM »
Only finished half my classes for the day and already have a headache.  Is it just me, or is the school building an absolute zoo some days?  (I teach rural elementary). Kids completely out of control between AND during English class and their teacher is often nowhere to be seen.  It feels  exactly like  a preschool for big kids.  It's also a small school and there is no English classroom, so I have to go to individual classes to teach them.  I'm not willing to put on a circus show when I come in just so they'll hold their attention.   Is it just me?  :sad:

Sometimes it does seem like a zoo. In my school, there are no teachers in the hallways to monitor what the students are doing. It's a free for all - screaming, running, hitting, students breaking things, throwing their books etc. When I first got here, my CT asked me about the behavior of American students vs Korean students. She was shocked to hear that rules such as no screaming/running/hitting were actually enforced (at least where I grew up and where I taught later on) She was like "do the students actually listen?" and I just looked at her like... "that's what the teachers and hall monitors are for..."

Here is a tangent, but it's pretty interesting the way Korean schools seem wild to me because I don't see things like order/respect/silence/safety put very highly on the list of importance, but my CTs think American schools are free for alls because girls can wear lip gloss and teachers don't try to break couples up when they inevitably form.

You make a very real point here. I have always subconsciously been amazed at the lack of supervision of students and rule enforcement.  Isn't it pretty similar out in public as well?  Meaning little to no enforcement of driving rules as well.  It's something that people here just are not aware of yet.  And yet they wonder why they are so stressed out all the time, at least in terms of students' behavior.

Amen!

Half the kids are little buttholes! They're constantly fighting each other at my school and I know its play fighting but it's like no Max, you're not allowed to look like you're choking out Conner just because the bell hasn't gone off yet and class hasn't officially started. I tell them English room, English rules and if they don't want to follow the rules on their free time then get out. I only have a co teacher 4 times a week and she lets them run wild in the class but I'm not dealing with that.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1185 on: September 26, 2016, 05:31:34 PM »

Sometimes it does seem like a zoo. In my school, there are no teachers in the hallways to monitor what the students are doing. It's a free for all - screaming, running, hitting, students breaking things, throwing their books etc. When I first got here, my CT asked me about the behavior of American students vs Korean students. She was shocked to hear that rules such as no screaming/running/hitting were actually enforced (at least where I grew up and where I taught later on) She was like "do the students actually listen?" and I just looked at her like... "that's what the teachers and hall monitors are for..."

Here is a tangent, but it's pretty interesting the way Korean schools seem wild to me because I don't see things like order/respect/silence/safety put very highly on the list of importance, but my CTs think American schools are free for alls because girls can wear lip gloss and teachers don't try to break couples up when they inevitably form.

For real!! Koreans make a big deal out of how respect is so important in their culture, but I sure don't see any of it in my school. From students screaming in my face, to refusing to do things when asked, and even disrespecting their classmates' personal space. In the class I just finished teaching one kid kept punching another and he kept looking at me (the punched one, that is) and he was like teacher!! punch punch punch! no punch!!! I tried telling the other kid not to punch, tried to appeal to his sense of pride ("gentlemen don't punch"), told him that when our friends say "don't touch me!" we STOP TOUCHING THEM, but nothing got a response. Meanwhile my coteacher is right there like "eh, whatever"

That would get you a trip to the principal's office awful fast back in America

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1186 on: September 26, 2016, 05:37:58 PM »
I really, really want to improve my Korean. I'm coming up on the end of my fifth year here, and it's a bit embarrassing how fluent I'm not. I mean, I'm not completely lacking in skills or anything like that. I can get by. Shopping, "where is the blabla," restaurants, those kinds of situations: I can hold my own. I can even have extremely basic conversational exchanges of the small talk variety.

None of that, however, is really enough to have a meaningful friendship with someone whose English is the same as or worse than my Korean. The number of NETs I know is dwindling as time goes by, so if I want to have any sort of social life here, it would behoove me to be able to communicate more effectively in Korean.

All that said, though (and here's the rant/vent part): I just can't for the life of me force myself to give a sh!t about the language. Whenever I try to find Korean music or TV I like, I'm met with disappointment. Whenever I sit down to study it, my eyes just glaze over. When I actually power my way through a chapter from a Korean coursebook, I forget by the end of the week.

I love languages and linguistics, so this is extra frustrating for me. Hell, one of the reasons I wanted to come teach in another country was to have the opportunity to learn a new language in the country where it's spoken. At first I thought I was just averse to studying on my own at home, but I started using a Japanese Kanji learning program last winter and I've managed to stick with it every day for eight months straight now.

There's just.... I don't know....  something about Korean that just makes me... not care?

Anyone else feel the same way? Has anyone felt the same way, but managed to overcome that and learn it anyway? I'd love to hear how you managed.

I definitely found Korean much more difficult than any of the other languages I've taken (and I've taken a bunch), even harder than Japanese which has super similar vocab and grammar. In Korea though, I think the issue is that many Koreans just don't want to speak Korean with foreigners, or even when you say something really easy and comprehensible they are constantly like hmm?? what did you say??? did you say [ x ] which sounds totally different from what you actually said??

I found learning Korean in America much easier than learning Korean in Korea :/
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 05:43:55 PM by moonbrie »

Offline pokute

• Veteran
« Reply #1187 on: September 26, 2016, 05:38:50 PM »

I had to rephrase my initial reply.  I think 1. spending most of productive time at work (which is not easy work either) 2. I think there are things we encounter as outsiders that are off-putting or unattractive (cultural differences, behavior, ideas), and in turn it makes it feel not worth the effort to learn???

That said, I personally have learned that patience, perseverance and self-development and self care become absolute essentials in this situation.  Don't get yourself down for not being good enough when you are struggling to meet your more basic needs first.  Once you meet those needs you'll feel more motivated to study and retain the language.  It's not easy or quick, but finding a lifestyle that equates to balance and moderation will help you overcome most, if not all of the internal and external negativity.  No being outside yourself has the right to dictate your worth, ever.  It doesn't matter what you do or don't do, as long as you have your head and heart in the right place for you.

Sorry if this got a bit jumbled up.  But I'm in the same boat (on my sixth year) and it's a major life and career struggle for likes of us.  I think the locals and people not in your shoes are not able to appreciate just how much will power, strength and intelligence it takes to do this for so long. :)  It's good that you can share it here.

EDIT: again a multitude of reasons could be causing your lack of interest in improvement.  It's really a complex psychological process and just to name a few factors: isolation, depression, alienation, etc... if you struggle with any of these then productivity really decreases.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 05:50:27 PM by pokute »

Offline Whatgook

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1188 on: September 26, 2016, 05:43:48 PM »

for me, I just had to suck it up and pay for lessons. i did two years here and my korean was still so basic. Then, start of third year, i started classes with a buddy. two of us, twice a week for an hour, 30,000 a week. I've been doing it for a year now, so it's cost me a little over a million (factoring vacations etc) and I'm getting towards fluency. Maybe try lessons, It willl probably help hugely!

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1189 on: September 26, 2016, 05:46:18 PM »

I'm curious-- would you mind sharing what Japanese Kanji learning program you're using? I hope to pick up Japanese again during my 2nd year here, when I have more time. (I studied a little back in school but it fell to the wayside)

As for the rest... I know I need to focus on building vocabulary but I suppose I'm really disinterested in rote memorization. I enjoy going through online lessons and learning about grammar but when it comes to memorizing vocab... I guess I just don't like studying. There's not much Korean media I'm interested in either, so it's more difficult to be motivated. If I could have an in-class course of study, it would be best but I'm far too rural at the moment.

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1190 on: September 26, 2016, 05:48:47 PM »
I went back to America a few months ago and really miss South Korea. Just droppin' in to say hello to the ol' Waygook.org gang. Since returning to the US, I've been quickly reminded why I preferred South Korea. That's not to overlook the problems, but boy did I find it easier to live there.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #1191 on: September 26, 2016, 05:52:11 PM »
I went back to America a few months ago and really miss South Korea. Just droppin' in to say hello to the ol' Waygook.org gang. Since returning to the US, I've been quickly reminded why I preferred South Korea. That's not to overlook the problems, but boy did I find it easier to live there.

I'm ready to be convinced, mrc45. Tell me why I should stay? I'm prone to imagining greener pastures.

Offline pokute

• Veteran
« Reply #1192 on: September 26, 2016, 05:53:28 PM »

Would you mind giving some examples which you feel comfortable sharing?  I'm curious.  I'm guessing a few are cost of living, health insurance/fees, transportation....what else is better in Korea in your experience?

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1193 on: September 26, 2016, 06:00:31 PM »
Well, first of all, I'll start with what annoyed me about South Korea, which would be feeling useless. I don't need to explain to anyone here that we ESL teachers are essentially babysitters. That can be a real emotional drain on someone; it was on me. I really cared about teaching and often felt handcuffed by the South Korean education system.

That being said, things like public transportation are absolutely reasons why I miss South Korea. It's just so much better than where I live now. Things were cheaper as well. I miss my friends and some of my better students. I miss being able to work with kids and see them develop as English speakers, even if I wasn't always able to fully serve in my capacity as a teacher. I lived in South Korea for nearly a decade, so it certainly grew on me in many ways.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1194 on: September 26, 2016, 06:00:49 PM »
I'm curious-- would you mind sharing what Japanese Kanji learning program you're using? I hope to pick up Japanese again during my 2nd year here, when I have more time. (I studied a little back in school but it fell to the wayside)

As for the rest... I know I need to focus on building vocabulary but I suppose I'm really disinterested in rote memorization. I enjoy going through online lessons and learning about grammar but when it comes to memorizing vocab... I guess I just don't like studying. There's not much Korean media I'm interested in either, so it's more difficult to be motivated. If I could have an in-class course of study, it would be best but I'm far too rural at the moment.

https://www.wanikani.com/

It's a great program, but it isn't free. I think there's a free trial period, but after that there's a fee. I paid a (hefty) one-time fee so I'll have permanent access to it, but there are  shorter-term, more affordable options.

It's fairly straightforward. It goes through the Kanji starting by teaching the most basic radicals first and then gradually getting into the more complex ones as you increase in level. The upside to that is you can progress more quickly as you build a solid foundation. The downside is that some super common words in Japanese have fairly complex kanji, so you'll find yourself learning some pretty random stuff before you learn more important things. I know the kanji for "testicle" but not "sleep," for example.  :laugh:

It uses goofy mnemonic explanations to help you remember definitions & pronunciations, and review quizzes based on spaced repetition to help you retain what you've learned. It's working really well for me, so I'm comfortable recommending it despite it not being free.

Oh, almost forgot: You'll need to have your hiragana down pat to get any use out of it. That's the only writing system it uses to give you the pronunciations. Katakana have popped up a couple times, too, but only rarely.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:07:28 PM by Mister Tim »

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1195 on: September 26, 2016, 06:04:26 PM »

EDIT: again a multitude of reasons could be causing your lack of interest in improvement.  It's really a complex psychological process and just to name a few factors: isolation, depression, alienation, etc... if you struggle with any of these then productivity really decreases.

That's pretty on-the-nose, I think. The problem there is that most of the solutions I can come up with to those problems would be made easier were I more fluent in the language. I'd be less lonely if I could meet more people, I could meet more people if I could speak Korean, I could learn more Korean if I weren't so lonely, etc etc. That sort of thing. It's frustrating.  :laugh:

Offline pokute

• Veteran
« Reply #1196 on: September 26, 2016, 06:08:04 PM »
Well, first of all, I'll start with what annoyed me about South Korea, which would be feeling useless. I don't need to explain to anyone here that we ESL teachers are essentially babysitters. That can be a real emotional drain on someone; it was on me. I really cared about teaching and often felt handcuffed by the South Korean education system.

That being said, things like public transportation are absolutely reasons why I miss South Korea. It's just so much better than where I live now. Things were cheaper as well. I miss my friends and some of my better students. I miss being able to work with kids and see them develop as English speakers, even if I wasn't always able to fully serve in my capacity as a teacher. I lived in South Korea for nearly a decade, so it certainly grew on me in many ways.

I wholeheartedly emphathise with you on the feeling like a babysitter part!!! I also care a lot about my job and most of the time it's such a drain!!  :sad:   However, I'm really sensitive so it's just extra challenging for me.  Yes I'm sure it's clear as crystal how good Koreans public transit is, but then again they are totally different countries in many ways thoughI certainly think the US can do better with its public services.    I'm over half a decade here now.  I've just realized how expensive it is to make a decent living  in a western country, I definitely don't take it for granted here anymore.

Thanks for sharing your views. :) 

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1197 on: September 26, 2016, 06:09:30 PM »

Oh, and I'll add to this previous statement, that being able to walk to 김밥천국 at 1 am when I need some food is a huge, but easily overlooked plus. I can't believe how many things close at 9 pm where I live now, don't deliver, or are too far to get to late at night.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1198 on: September 26, 2016, 06:10:30 PM »
HaLo,

I was told the same thing years ago, so I showed up and feigned interest.

After several weeks, I decided to stay in my office to see what would happen.

Not a word was mentioned.

Perhaps you could give it a try and see.

Hang tough.
Haha, I tried that for the last meeting two weeks ago and I got an urgent kakao message reminding me of the meeting. So unfortunately, that won't work, but thanks for the thought.

Try asking for a translation after every single sentence and saying you don't understand. Pretty sure after 1 meeting of interruptions they'll all agree that it's unnecessary for you to attend!
Hmm, thats annoying and petty enough it just might work!

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1199 on: September 26, 2016, 06:11:07 PM »
@Mister Tim:

if possible i would really recommend taking an in-class korean class. i'm kinda the same, have no motivation at all to self-study korean but if a take a class it kinda forces you to study during the class periods.

to add to your post about Kanji, this book is supposed to be excellent:

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment