November 19, 2017, 11:45:22 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564860 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1180 on: September 27, 2016, 11:49:03 AM »
Lunch today was:

Mystery meat slop mixed with tentacles
Soup that tasted like a scoop of the ocean
Noodles (for the mystery meat slop)
Rice of course

I know I shouldn't complain about a pre-prepared hot meal but I am starting to wonder why I am paying almost $80 a month for this. Today I just ate a big ball of rice but would be loads happier with a yogurt and hard boiled egg whites or something. Going to start drafting my excuses now.

I'll never understand days where we get both. Pick a carb and use it. It's white rice and refined wheat noodles, this shit is simple carb central. Even picking one would be bad enough for sugar levels and health, now you're giving us two? The 보건실 nurse should have a 50/50 say about what we eat, along with the lunchlady.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1181 on: September 27, 2016, 11:55:02 AM »
Lunches at my schools are generally pretty decent but oftentimes too spicy. I'm thinking of opting out my 2nd year but i'll have to be very prudent about grocery shopping on the weekends as my local mart has a very limited selection.

I'd also rather have simpler lunches of my own choosing.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1182 on: September 27, 2016, 12:00:09 PM »
Lunch today was:

Rice of course

I know I shouldn't complain about a pre-prepared hot meal but I am starting to wonder why I am paying almost $80 a month for this. Today I just ate a big ball of rice but would be loads happier with a yogurt and hard boiled egg whites or something. Going to start drafting my excuses now.

I'll never understand days where we get both. Pick a carb and use it. It's white rice and refined wheat noodles, this shit is simple carb central. Even picking one would be bad enough for sugar levels and health, now you're giving us two? The 보건실 nurse should have a 50/50 say about what we eat, along with the lunchlady.

I know! I opted out of the ball of noodles and was asked, "You don't like noodle?"  :undecided:

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1183 on: September 27, 2016, 12:00:24 PM »

Maybe you need a change of schools? Maybe if you get a job elsewhere, closer to your home, it seems like it would eliminate most of the annoyances.
Oh my school is just 20 minutes from my place, so I don't mind that so much. It's just if I want to do something in the evening it's difficult because it takes so long to get there, but I'm tired of just being at home in the evening. I'm just being whiny, I guess.

@Kayos thank you for your kinda words.  :smiley:

Another rant:Why donít these kids have recess? Their little bodies were not made to sit in a desk and stare at screen for hours on end. I think they would be better behaved in class if they had a chance to burn off some of their energy.
And one more thing (whew I have I lot to complain about today) why are so many students without glasses when they clearly need them? Donít their parents realize that their child canít see? If a student has to come up to the front of the class so they can see the board shouldnít their homeroom teacher realize that something is off and let the parents know?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1184 on: September 27, 2016, 12:02:24 PM »
Lunch today was:

Rice of course

I did really like my elementary school before, they had a nutritionist they hired to work with the lunch staff to come up with the meals. At my current school I just make lunch myself in the school kitchen.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1185 on: September 27, 2016, 12:04:12 PM »

Maybe you need a change of schools? Maybe if you get a job elsewhere, closer to your home, it seems like it would eliminate most of the annoyances.
Oh my school is just 20 minutes from my place, so I don't mind that so much. It's just if I want to do something in the evening it's difficult because it takes so long to get there, but I'm tired of just being at home in the evening. I'm just being whiny, I guess.

Another rant:Why donít these kids have recess? Their little bodies were not made to sit in a desk and stare at screen for hours on end. I think they would be better behaved in class if they had a chance to burn off some of their energy.
And one more thing (whew I have I lot to complain about today) why are so many students without glasses when they clearly need them? Donít their parents realize that their child canít see? If a student has to come up to the front of the class so they can see the board shouldnít their homeroom teacher realize that something is off and let the parents know?
As a kid who grew up with (often without) glasses I can kinda explain this one. Some kids just hate wearing them so much they will intentionally lose, break, or leave them behind just to get out of wearing glasses. Kids don't realize how much weirder it looks to squint at the board.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1186 on: September 27, 2016, 12:07:20 PM »

As a kid who grew up with (often without) glasses I can kinda explain this one. Some kids just hate wearing them so much they will intentionally lose, break, or leave them behind just to get out of wearing glasses. Kids don't realize how much weirder it looks to squint at the board.
I remember hiding my glasses one time and then legitimately forgetting where I had hidden them so I had to go get another pair. I also lost my glasses in the ocean one time when I was at the beach, though that time was an accident.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1187 on: September 27, 2016, 12:09:49 PM »
I grew up hating glasses too and my eyesight is horrid. In music class i would memorize the different rhythms on the board by listening and figuring out which one i would be tested on. Once i got older i stopped caring and started wearing glasses again.

One of my middle schoolers lost her glasses months ago and hasn't gotten a new pair. Finances may also be an issue?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1188 on: September 27, 2016, 12:13:26 PM »
I just got called on to take part in the other teachers very loud argument about baking soda and baking powder.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1189 on: September 27, 2016, 01:12:02 PM »
My CTs are incapable of coordination.
I am teaching 5 different lessons this week for grade 4 which has 6 classes. I'm not even sure how it's possible.

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #1190 on: September 27, 2016, 01:15:45 PM »
Lunch today was:

Rice of course

I did really like my elementary school before, they had a nutritionist they hired to work with the lunch staff to come up with the meals. At my current school I just make lunch myself in the school kitchen.

I can't relate at all to those who say that they hate the food that they are served in the cafeteria. My school also has a nutritionist that works with the lunch ladies. My meals are always balanced and delicious. Today: Rice, manduguk, fish pancake, seasoned ginseng, andof course, KIMCHI. I feel like Im getting a bargain for the $65 I am paying every month. I also love the fact tht the kids at school dont have to pay for any of it. Which was quite different for me growing up in America. You would pay for low quality garbage at the public schools that I went to.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1191 on: September 27, 2016, 01:26:28 PM »
I might get crucified for saying this but...I really don't like ramen.

I'm mystified at how revered it is in the foreign community here.  Facebook groups full of people looking for it, talking about it, eating it, planning to eat it, craving it, travelling to Japan just for it alone.  It's never ending.

When someone asks me "Hey The Arm, do you want to get ramen for dinner?", all I hear is "Hey The Arm, do you want to eat a bowl of hot water for dinner?"

Am I an uncultured swine?  :laugh:

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1192 on: September 27, 2016, 02:10:30 PM »
Not wanting to wear glasses could be a factor for some, but the boys I'm thinking of already have glasses but have to come up to the front to see. I think their prescription just needs to be updated. I suppose cost could be a factor. I hope they get new glasses soon though.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1193 on: September 27, 2016, 02:18:30 PM »
I might get crucified for saying this but...I really don't like ramen.

I'm mystified at how revered it is in the foreign community here.  Facebook groups full of people looking for it, talking about it, eating it, planning to eat it, craving it, travelling to Japan just for it alone.  It's never ending.

When someone asks me "Hey The Arm, do you want to get ramen for dinner?", all I hear is "Hey The Arm, do you want to eat a bowl of hot water for dinner?"

Am I an uncultured swine?  :laugh:

No I'm with you. I don't hate it but I have a very "ugh why" attitude toward it. It's a pain to eat, I've never seen anyone actually finish a bowl of it, and yeah, it's mostly noodles and salt water. I also know folks who are mad for it so I'll go along to get along but I consider it a wasted dinner opportunity.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1194 on: September 27, 2016, 02:25:31 PM »
Lunch today was:

Rice of course

rates of Type II Diabetes are completely exploding amongst koreans. the Type II diabetes rate here is actually higher than it is in the US now, despite the fact that the obesity rate here is lower.

and koreans are completely mystified as to why. because of course eating 60% of your macros from carbs 3 times a day and then snacking on nothing but carbs like ramyeon in between meals has nothing to do with it  :rolleyes:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1195 on: September 27, 2016, 02:28:51 PM »
Ramen is essentially the equivalent of murica's easy mac. Though one might be arguably "healthier."

I will say this though. Getting authentic Japanese ramen is a far cry from the packaged junk.

Also, whenever I had it growing up, my mom would always toss an egg in along with some veggies and minced garlic. She also never used the entire packet of salty powder. Far better than eating it as is.

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1196 on: September 27, 2016, 02:40:33 PM »
I also love the fact tht the kids at school dont have to pay for any of it. Which was quite different for me growing up in America. You would pay for low quality garbage at the public schools that I went to.

You have no idea how many English teachers we lost to pay for the kids school lunches!

The excuse at the time was it was embarrassing for the poor students to not pay, and the normal students to pay.

It was part of our dear leaders war on English, or rather a war on providing quality education to the lower classes.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #1197 on: September 27, 2016, 02:40:33 PM »
I'm not sure why the obsession with ramen, either.

It is served in the Business Class Lounge at the airport, so people obviously don't view it as complete crap food.

More surprising, Korean passengers will actually steal the packages and smuggle them inside their carry-on luggage.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1198 on: September 27, 2016, 02:45:45 PM »
Oftentimes when I try to divide the class in a certain way, my coT tries to change it. As usual, I reiterated that smaller groups means that individual students get more speaking practice (and they may be less rowdy). This seems to be a big ordeal for her because *gasp* one or two students might need to move a little!! Oh no!! So much work!!  :rolleyes:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #1199 on: September 27, 2016, 02:49:04 PM »
Oftentimes when I try to divide the class in a certain way, my coT tries to change it. As usual, I reiterated that smaller groups means that individual students get more speaking practice (and they may be less rowdy). This seems to be a big ordeal for her because *gasp* one or two students might need to move a little!! Oh no!! So much work!!  :rolleyes:

Then she'll explain the rules for 7 mins, even though the kids get it.