September 25, 2017, 08:00:05 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 489439 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #1040 on: September 19, 2016, 06:11:15 PM »
#basedcowboyshirt: I completely agree. I hate co-teaching and it doesn't even necessarily have to do anything with the KT. I only dislike one co-teacher at the moment but that doesn't even matter. I just hate co-teaching--period.

yirj17: One of my co-teachers last year actually tried to correct my pronunciation one time in the middle of class. :rolleyes: I didn't even bother telling her how stupid that was; I think the look I gave her was enough to get the message across.

I was once told that it's incorrect to pronounce the 't' in 'badminton,' and that it should be pronounced 'badmin'on' with a glottal stop. I disagreed, and she said "You don't know because you didn't study this. You're just going by your instinct as a native speaker."

Wrap your head around that.

To be completely honest, I don't think anyone around me has ever pronounced it without the 't'... Your KT is stupid.

I've literally never heard it pronounced without the 't'. I mean, people don't always enunciate it well, but ain't nobody saying 'Gonna go play me some badminon.'

Anyways. These days my coteachers are rad. So, everything #based. My ring is a mansion.

Offline itsalliecat

• Explorer
« Reply #1041 on: September 19, 2016, 06:12:55 PM »
Honestly, some co-teachers make no sense at all. I have one who prefers to handle all of the speaking bits, including listening and repeating..... Like, hello...? I'm the native speaker... Maybe it would be better if they heard my pronunciation... :rolleyes: And I appreciate that he tries to teach them phrases and vocabulary that aren't in the textbook, but it would be a lot better if he actually checked them with me so that he doesn't go and teach them grammatically incorrect phrases. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: It would be fine if he was actually good at English...

THIS. For some reason my elem. coT has decided that her speaking and pronunciation is much more important than mine in our grade 3 classes... it's as if she wants to impress upon them her own pronunciations instead of more correct ways. With grade 3s I feel it is especially important for them to listen to a, oh, I don't know, NATIVE SPEAKER.  >:(

I will pronounce things but then she'll keep trying to take over the class and force her own pronunciation on them. I will repeat pronunciation for the kids but sometimes she'll insist on having the last word (literally). The battles become time wasters so I have to just let it go a lot of the time.

But this is a teacher who mixes up L & R, F & V, even S and Th. Not to mention dropping articles and teaching the students incorrectly even after I've stated the correct way (ex. How many dog? Do you like a dog?  :blank:)

Do your students get confused with the pronunciation? I have these same types of battles with my CT over the word "finished", and the students faces when I correct them are like  :huh: :huh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1042 on: September 19, 2016, 06:16:23 PM »
Honestly, some co-teachers make no sense at all. I have one who prefers to handle all of the speaking bits, including listening and repeating..... Like, hello...? I'm the native speaker... Maybe it would be better if they heard my pronunciation... :rolleyes: And I appreciate that he tries to teach them phrases and vocabulary that aren't in the textbook, but it would be a lot better if he actually checked them with me so that he doesn't go and teach them grammatically incorrect phrases. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: It would be fine if he was actually good at English...

THIS. For some reason my elem. coT has decided that her speaking and pronunciation is much more important than mine in our grade 3 classes... it's as if she wants to impress upon them her own pronunciations instead of more correct ways. With grade 3s I feel it is especially important for them to listen to a, oh, I don't know, NATIVE SPEAKER.  >:(

I will pronounce things but then she'll keep trying to take over the class and force her own pronunciation on them. I will repeat pronunciation for the kids but sometimes she'll insist on having the last word (literally). The battles become time wasters so I have to just let it go a lot of the time.

But this is a teacher who mixes up L & R, F & V, even S and Th. Not to mention dropping articles and teaching the students incorrectly even after I've stated the correct way (ex. How many dog? Do you like a dog?  :blank:)

Do your students get confused with the pronunciation? I have these same types of battles with my CT over the word "finished", and the students faces when I correct them are like  :huh: :huh:

I can hear some of the students fixing their pronunciation to follow mine but some I think just aren't good at pronunciation [yet]. It's an uphill battle. If she would just shut up and stop yapping there could be some more improvement but...

Also, badmin'on?!? What dafuq!!

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #1043 on: September 19, 2016, 06:20:31 PM »
once I was teaching a version of battleship and she tried to interrupt and say "oh, but I think it's ok if they can see (each other's boards)" to which I shut her down and just told her no.  >:( The game literally does not work the way she wanted to play it.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: x 1000
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1044 on: September 19, 2016, 06:28:21 PM »
Right? And this is the coT who is stockpiling my materials... I shudder to think if she actually tries to use any of them herself when I'm gone.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1045 on: September 19, 2016, 06:39:11 PM »
Right? And this is the coT who is stockpiling my materials... I shudder to think if she actually tries to use any of them herself when I'm gone.

My annoying co-teacher from last year asked me for all my powerpoints before she left because she wants to coast through her classes at her new school (she literally said that...) and I told her that my USB was corrupted so I couldn't give her everything. The few I gave her, though... All I can say is good luck using them lol I customise all my PPTs to suit the way that I teach and explain. There are no notes and a lot of times there are no actual words so you have to know how the powerpoint is set up in order to use them. :laugh: A lot of times, I have a general script in my head and the order of the slides and animations reflect that unwritten script. :evil:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1046 on: September 19, 2016, 06:47:13 PM »

My annoying co-teacher from last year asked me for all my powerpoints before she left because she wants to coast through her classes at her new school (she literally said that...) and I told her that my USB was corrupted so I couldn't give her everything. The few I gave her, though... All I can say is good luck using them lol I customise all my PPTs to suit the way that I teach and explain. There are no notes and a lot of times there are no actual words so you have to know how the powerpoint is set up in order to use them. :laugh: A lot of times, I have a general script in my head and the order of the slides and animations reflect that unwritten script. :evil:

Another thing that annoys me-- this coT would insist I email her everything (lesson plans, ppts, materials) in advance but quickly stopped actually checking any of it (after which I sent her bunk). If she had actually checked my PPTs beforehand, she might understand the flow of the lesson. Instead, she often interrupts me to "tell them something" that actually comes up later in the PPT. A lot of times I cut her off and tell her that it's in the PPT but honestly I swear she just likes to hear herself talk  :rolleyes:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1047 on: September 19, 2016, 06:54:47 PM »

Another thing that annoys me-- this coT would insist I email her everything (lesson plans, ppts, materials) in advance but quickly stopped actually checking any of it (after which I sent her bunk). If she had actually checked my PPTs beforehand, she might understand the flow of the lesson. Instead, she often interrupts me to "tell them something" that actually comes up later in the PPT. A lot of times I cut her off and tell her that it's in the PPT but honestly I swear she just likes to hear herself talk  :rolleyes:

This conversation is making me so glad that my old co-teacher left. :laugh:

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1048 on: September 19, 2016, 08:13:08 PM »
#basedcowboyshirt: I completely agree. I hate co-teaching and it doesn't even necessarily have to do anything with the KT. I only dislike one co-teacher at the moment but that doesn't even matter. I just hate co-teaching--period.

yirj17: One of my co-teachers last year actually tried to correct my pronunciation one time in the middle of class. :rolleyes: I didn't even bother telling her how stupid that was; I think the look I gave her was enough to get the message across.

I was once told that it's incorrect to pronounce the 't' in 'badminton,' and that it should be pronounced 'badmin'on' with a glottal stop. I disagreed, and she said "You don't know because you didn't study this. You're just going by your instinct as a native speaker."

To be completely honest, I don't think anyone around me has ever pronounced it without the 't'... Your KT is stupid.

I've literally never heard it pronounced without the 't'. I mean, people don't always enunciate it well, but ain't nobody saying 'Gonna go play me some badminon.'

Anyways. These days my coteachers are rad. So, everything #based. My ring is a mansion.

I pronounce "badminton" with a glottal stop instead of a T. So does everyone in my family. It's also how I pronounce similar words, like the name "Quentin." However, I do realize that that's probably a regional thing, and I told my students about both pronunciations. I certainly wouldn't tell anyone that pronouncing the T was wrong.

Out of curiosity I just did a quick search about the common pronunciations of the word, and apparently it's also a thing for people to omit the N and pronounce it like "Bad-mitten."

D@mn, English! You crazy!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1049 on: September 19, 2016, 11:10:52 PM »

I pronounce "badminton" with a glottal stop instead of a T. So does everyone in my family. It's also how I pronounce similar words, like the name "Quentin." However, I do realize that that's probably a regional thing, and I told my students about both pronunciations. I certainly wouldn't tell anyone that pronouncing the T was wrong.

Out of curiosity I just did a quick search about the common pronunciations of the word, and apparently it's also a thing for people to omit the N and pronounce it like "Bad-mitten."

Sounds like scolding a naughty cat  :laugh:

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1050 on: September 19, 2016, 11:25:39 PM »

I might say 'badmin'on' if I was speaking really fast but even then I'd drop it to a d and say 'badminden.'

I'm not sure if it's a Canadian thing but you can always tell someone is not when they say Toron-To instead of Toronno.

On a related note to interesting KT corrections;

Once for a grade 5 class my KT insisted the spelling of cookie was actually cooky. I tried but failed to win that fight.

The following year with a different KT at some point the kids all had to spell cookie on a test and she came up to show me and asked if I knew what was going on.... ah fun times.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:51:37 PM by Loki88 »

Offline waywardtimelord

• Adventurer
« Reply #1051 on: September 19, 2016, 11:37:02 PM »
Y'all, I am really, really, REALLY not handling these earthquakes well.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #1052 on: September 19, 2016, 11:43:14 PM »

I might say 'badmin'on' if I was speaking really fast but even then I'd drop it to a d and say 'badminden.'

I'm not sure if it's a Canadian thing but you can always tell someone is not when they say Toron-To instead of Toronno.

Once for a grade 5 class my KT insisted the spelling of cookie was actually cooky. I tried but failed to win that fight.

The following year with a different KT at some point the kids all had to spell cookie on a test and she came up to show me and asked if I knew what was going on.... ah fun times.

You know you can modify your original comment, right? I get that waygook formatting isn't the most intuitive thing, but..............
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1053 on: September 19, 2016, 11:50:13 PM »

You know you can modify your original comment, right? I get that waygook formatting isn't the most intuitive thing, but..............

Yeah, not sure what happened. Fixed now.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1054 on: September 19, 2016, 11:54:39 PM »
And did you know you can just quote the most pertinent sentence(s) so there's not walls and walls of superfluous text? (After hitting the quote button, highlight the irrelevant bits then press the delete key.) It's a courtesy to other readers.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1055 on: September 19, 2016, 11:58:43 PM »

The following year with a different KT at some point the kids all had to spell cookie on a test and she came up to show me and asked if I knew what was going on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HpCJskJh0I

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1056 on: September 20, 2016, 03:06:00 AM »
What I find most funny is the fact that they are arguing about pronunciation at all! Speaking tests here carry about as much weight as 10 won or a feather. Listening tests are a bit above that, maybe 100 won. Writing tests, forget it. They are the most useless of all. Besides, the students get their hagwons to write it and they just memorize it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 03:18:18 AM by Somebody »

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1057 on: September 20, 2016, 10:29:44 AM »

The following year with a different KT at some point the kids all had to spell cookie on a test and she came up to show me and asked if I knew what was going on...

Well that explains it. Arguing against  Kpop is like trying to fight a lion with a toothpick.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #1058 on: September 20, 2016, 10:53:10 AM »

Well that explains it. Arguing against  Kpop is like trying to fight a lion with a toothpick.

That song is a blatant rip off of Toni Basil's 1981 hit 'Micky'

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1059 on: September 20, 2016, 11:23:07 AM »
Made 2 online Credit Card payments to buy airplane tickets, I have a KEB Hana credit card.

With PayPal or a non-Korean credit card the payment process is quick and painless. With a Korean credit card, after the payment process, you get redirected to a Korean payment verification, which is an absolute joke. First, if you have a Mac, forget about using it.
If you have a PC, first you'll need to restart the entire process since the Korean verification system only works on the oldest versions of Internet Explorer, and you'll need all those awesome plugins. Next work your way around countless passwords, ARS verification and figuring out how to write your own damn name (reverse, caps, no middle name?)

After struggling for almost 30min. The program crashed during the first verification process, I was busy entering my credit card number... What happened, you ask? Well, after it crashed, I got a message saying the payment had been approved...

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment