September 20, 2017, 08:23:37 PM

Author Topic: NASA is analyzing Korean Air to find out "Why is it so polluted?"  (Read 15362 times)

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
  • Today we are all root beer
Re: NASA is analyzing Korean Air to find out "Why is it so polluted?"
« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2017, 07:18:49 PM »
Anyone have an idea why AQICN has been down all week for South Korean pollution readings? Are Koreans yet again trying to make a problem go away by pretending it doesn't exist? The official government pollution website is a complete farce, last time I used it it had PM 2.5 numbers for my city of like 35 when it was like 150 on AQICN.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #181 on: July 15, 2017, 11:39:42 AM »
Anyone have an idea why AQICN has been down all week for South Korean pollution readings? Are Koreans yet again trying to make a problem go away by pretending it doesn't exist? The official government pollution website is a complete farce, last time I used it it had PM 2.5 numbers for my city of like 35 when it was like 150 on AQICN.

I believe the government pollution monitors come equipped with filters that naturally remove any particulate matter that you don't need to know about.  But yeah, weird that AQICN is down over the entire country.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On Your Bike, Watch Out for the Air

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/06/well/move/on-your-bike-watch-out-for-the-air.html

Many bicyclists are getting a bit over half of their daily air pollution dose in only 6 to 8 percent of their day during their daily commutes.

Early results indicate that bicyclists in lanes that are separated from active traffic by a row of parked cars breathe in a lot less pollution than those who use bike lanes adjacent to the traffic.
While the benefits from exercise are slightly diminished by pollution, it doesn’t negate them in healthy adults. “Exercise actually lowers the rate of inflammation in the body, which exposure to pollution raises. So the relationship is complicated.”

“In highly polluted cities like Delhi, you’ll benefit by outdoor exercise for about a half an hour, but after that the risks begins to outweigh the benefits,” she said. The good news for New York’s cyclists, said Dr. de Nazelle, is that studies conducted in European cities like Barcelona and London with roughly comparable pollution levels have shown that, even factoring in the risk from traffic accidents, people who bicycle statistically improve their health over all and extend their lives.

Still, cyclists would be wise to choose their routes and biking times carefully...and eat plenty of antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables to help counteract the impact of air pollution on the body.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 12:11:05 PM by donovan »

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #182 on: July 17, 2017, 04:23:06 PM »
Hmm seems like airkorea isn't working either...

http://eng.airkorea.or.kr/realtime/main.jsp

Their Korean site is of course working though:

http://www.airkorea.or.kr/index

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #183 on: July 19, 2017, 10:48:15 PM »
While some pollution does indeed come from China, I'd wager that the majority (50%+) would come from within Korea (Korean factories, coal power plants, cars etc...).

And you'd be right:

"According to the preliminary Korea US-Air Quality (KORUS AQ) study, conducted by NASA and Korea’s National Institute of Environmental Research, about 52 percent of Korea’s fine dust particles and other airborne pollutants have domestic origins. China was the origin of some 34 percent of the particles, while 9 percent came from North Korea."
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170719000994

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2017, 10:31:53 AM »

AQICN hasn't worked for ten days now.  It was easy to see during the downpours that it was clean but now we're getting back into the 'hmmm, looks a wee bit dusty out there' situation.  The Korean one is shit and this Japanese one is only for pm2.5

http://www.tenki.jp/particulate_matter/

Offline friendofcletus

• Adventurer
« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2017, 10:40:12 AM »

AQICN hasn't worked for ten days now.  It was easy to see during the downpours that it was clean but now we're getting back into the 'hmmm, looks a wee bit dusty out there' situation.  The Korean one is shit and this Japanese one is only for pm2.5

Down here in Gyeongsang, the air looks terrible. I emailed the folks at AQICN as to why there has been no readings for Korea, and have yet to get a response.

The Korean site says it is 보통, but my eyes say otherwise. How much of this haze is just water vapor versus fine particles of poison? I was under the impression that humid air traps more pollution. Anyone know?   

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2017, 11:21:46 AM »
While some pollution does indeed come from China, I'd wager that the majority (50%+) would come from within Korea (Korean factories, coal power plants, cars etc...).

And you'd be right:

"According to the preliminary Korea US-Air Quality (KORUS AQ) study, conducted by NASA and Korea’s National Institute of Environmental Research, about 52 percent of Korea’s fine dust particles and other airborne pollutants have domestic origins. China was the origin of some 34 percent of the particles, while 9 percent came from North Korea."

i love that the article stresses that it's a low time for pollution from china a few times. as if a higher percentage of pollutants from china during different times of the year erase the local pollution. i don't get the huge desire here to completely wipe their hands clean of it all. just work on what you can aka your own country and stop worrying about china for the time being.

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2017, 12:54:20 PM »

And you'd be right:

i love that the article stresses that it's a low time for pollution from china a few times. as if a higher percentage of pollutants from china during different times of the year erase the local pollution. i don't get the huge desire here to completely wipe their hands clean of it all. just work on what you can aka your own country and stop worrying about china for the time being.
Unfortunately, that type of thinking rarely occurs in SK.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2017, 03:02:20 PM »
If Koreans keep blaming China and people let them get away with it, they'll never have to clean up their own pollution.

That airkorea site says Daegu's pm2.5 is like 30. You can't even see anything a mile away, so I'm guessing it's more like 90 to 150.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2017, 03:37:46 PM »

the nodes are down for 'maintenance' (read: recalibration to make them less sensitive to try and hide just how bad korea's air really is)

http://10wontips.blogspot.kr/2017/07/korea-air-quality-measurement.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20blogspot%2FIYnMc%20(10%EC%9B%90%20Tips)

Offline friendofcletus

• Adventurer
« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2017, 10:42:54 AM »
the results are in...

http://koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2017/07/371_233295.html

No more blaming China for (all) the bad air here

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #191 on: July 21, 2017, 10:50:41 AM »

the nodes are down for 'maintenance' (read: recalibration to make them less sensitive to try and hide just how bad korea's air really is)

http://10wontips.blogspot.kr/2017/07/korea-air-quality-measurement.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20blogspot%2FIYnMc%20(10%EC%9B%90%20Tips)

Thanks for that.  2 months????  Guess it is going to be a case of using my eyes and the using the Japanese website.

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #192 on: July 21, 2017, 12:28:34 PM »
the results are in...

http://koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2017/07/371_233295.html

No more blaming China for (all) the bad air here

you see the study was done during a unique situation when there was less pollution from china, so who can really say.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #193 on: September 08, 2017, 09:57:28 AM »
Down here in Gyeongsang, the air looks terrible. I emailed the folks at AQICN as to why there has been no readings for Korea, and have yet to get a response.

The Korean site says it is 보통, but my eyes say otherwise. How much of this haze is just water vapor versus fine particles of poison? I was under the impression that humid air traps more pollution. Anyone know?

AQICN site still has no readings for Korea. It's been so long!

This has some info though: https://airvisual.com

(Air's getting bad today; I'm worried.)

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #194 on: September 09, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »

AQICN site still has no readings for Korea. It's been so long!

This has some info though: https://airvisual.com

(Air's getting bad today; I'm worried.)
It says it was up on aug. 30 but not since.

You don't really need it since you can see the poor air quality today.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2017, 01:01:06 AM »
KOREA FACE STATUS = SAVED

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #196 on: September 10, 2017, 02:12:21 AM »
1) Go to Google.

2) Type 'naver.com' in the search bar.

3) Click the first non-ad.

4a) At Naver's portal website, type 미세먼지* in the search bar.

*4b) If you're unsure what 미세먼지 is, a) copy (ctrl c) the following from this post--> 'How do you say 미세먼지 in English?' sans the quotes, b) open a new IE tab, c) go to naver.com, d) type 구글 into the search bar, e) click the first non-ad, f) paste (ctrl v) it into the search bar, and g) press enter.

5) You'll get an interactive map of Korea with air quality stats for your area. Click.

tl;dr: You can find air quality info on Naver and probably some other Korean sites as well. I wonder where they get their data from that aqicn doesn't have access to.

Note: this method doesn't work if you suspect Korea is cooking the books.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 02:21:07 AM by donovan »

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #197 on: September 10, 2017, 01:32:31 PM »
1) Go to Google.

2) Type 'naver.com' in the search bar.

3) Click the first non-ad.

4a) At Naver's portal website, type 미세먼지* in the search bar.

*4b) If you're unsure what 미세먼지 is, a) copy (ctrl c) the following from this post--> 'How do you say 미세먼지 in English?' sans the quotes, b) open a new IE tab, c) go to naver.com, d) type 구글 into the search bar, e) click the first non-ad, f) paste (ctrl v) it into the search bar, and g) press enter.

5) You'll get an interactive map of Korea with air quality stats for your area. Click.

tl;dr: You can find air quality info on Naver and probably some other Korean sites as well. I wonder where they get their data from that aqicn doesn't have access to.

I think most know this, plus there are phone apps. However, I think your note says it all regarding their usefulness.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2017, 10:03:02 AM »

Most of my co-teachers don't trust the AirKorea/Naver stuff.  Generally, they look at the Tenki one because they think the pm2.5 is the most harmful.  I use the Aqicn as well as my eyes.  Last weekend was horrible, and still, parents have their kids running around outside. 

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
KOREA FACE STATUS = SAVED

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2017/09/281_236682.html

(South) Korea has the worst air quality of any advanced country, with its fine dust level soaring over the past 17 years, according to an Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) report released Sunday.

Fine dust my ass! Just call it smog or deadly pollution already!

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment