April 23, 2017, 07:06:07 PM

Author Topic: Air Pollution: Is this going too far?  (Read 4239 times)

Offline donovan

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Air Pollution: Is this going too far?
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2017, 03:58:28 PM »
Why can't I access the "Pollution Blues" thread?
I did notice though that in the reading I was looking at, the PM10 particles exceeded the PM2.5 particle level, when it's usually the opposite. But that still wouldn't explain why they cancelled the outdoor activities, since PM2.5 are considered more threatening to health, no? I don't want to believe it's just because this dust happened to be colored yellow...

the high PM10 particles is exactly the reason why they cancelled it. for years the korean government only reported the (less dangerous, and usually lower) PM10 levels in an attempt to obscure the fact that the air pollution in korea is so bad.

as a result, a lot of korean websites and smartphone apps - even to this day - only list the PM10 concentration, or will list it first in big numbers with the PM2.5 reading smaller and tucked away somewhere.

since these korean websites and apps are the ones that koreans are going to be checking, that would explain why your sports day practice got cancelled when the PM10 particles were higher than the PM2.5.

Sure enough. Type 미세먼지 in the Naver search bar and you get a chart, but it's lacking in detail. At least when you type "미" "미세먼지" is the first auto-fill suggestion.

Offline sevenpm

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2017, 06:27:57 PM »
Koreans are telling me the air pollution is really bad lately, but according to my app it's not any worse than usual and still in the moderate range?

Do you guys know if some apps are better than others or why some wouldn't be reporting the bad air?

Offline gogators!

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2017, 09:55:08 PM »
Koreans are telling me the air pollution is really bad lately, but according to my app it's not any worse than usual and still in the moderate range?

Do you guys know if some apps are better than others or why some wouldn't be reporting the bad air?
This is what I use: http://aqicn.org/map/seoul/

Scroll down and you can focus in on where you live.

Offline gogators!

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2017, 09:57:09 PM »

I was supposed to have a couple classes cancelled yesterday because they were going to be practicing for sports day, but they ended up getting cancelled because I was told there were elevated levels of yellow dust in the air. Okay, fine, but then I checked the fine dust report myself and it was 'moderate'; actually a lot better than most days here recently, days when no outdoor activities are cancelled. I did notice though that in the reading I was looking at, the PM10 particles exceeded the PM2.5 particle level, when it's usually the opposite. But that still wouldn't explain why they cancelled the outdoor activities, since PM2.5 are considered more threatening to health, no? I don't want to believe it's just because this dust happened to be colored yellow...
Because they didn't really want to have a sports day and this was a good excuse not to?

Offline donovan

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2017, 11:19:29 PM »

I was supposed to have a couple classes cancelled yesterday because they were going to be practicing for sports day, but they ended up getting cancelled because I was told there were elevated levels of yellow dust in the air. Okay, fine, but then I checked the fine dust report myself and it was 'moderate'; actually a lot better than most days here recently, days when no outdoor activities are cancelled. I did notice though that in the reading I was looking at, the PM10 particles exceeded the PM2.5 particle level, when it's usually the opposite. But that still wouldn't explain why they cancelled the outdoor activities, since PM2.5 are considered more threatening to health, no? I don't want to believe it's just because this dust happened to be colored yellow...
Because they didn't really want to have a sports day and this was a good excuse not to?

Well, these were just a couple sports day practice sessions, but I do wonder if the school would have the guts to cancel the actual sports day over fine dust concerns.

Offline gogators!

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #45 on: Yesterday at 08:40:20 PM »

Well, these were just a couple sports day practice sessions, but I do wonder if the school would have the guts to cancel the actual sports day over fine dust concerns.
What goes into "just a couple" sports day practices? Seems to take all the fun/life out of it.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment