June 29, 2017, 04:32:36 AM

Author Topic: Air Pollution: Is this going too far?  (Read 5240 times)

Offline donovan

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Air Pollution: Is this going too far?
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2017, 03:58:28 PM »
Why can't I access the "Pollution Blues" thread?
I did notice though that in the reading I was looking at, the PM10 particles exceeded the PM2.5 particle level, when it's usually the opposite. But that still wouldn't explain why they cancelled the outdoor activities, since PM2.5 are considered more threatening to health, no? I don't want to believe it's just because this dust happened to be colored yellow...

the high PM10 particles is exactly the reason why they cancelled it. for years the korean government only reported the (less dangerous, and usually lower) PM10 levels in an attempt to obscure the fact that the air pollution in korea is so bad.

as a result, a lot of korean websites and smartphone apps - even to this day - only list the PM10 concentration, or will list it first in big numbers with the PM2.5 reading smaller and tucked away somewhere.

since these korean websites and apps are the ones that koreans are going to be checking, that would explain why your sports day practice got cancelled when the PM10 particles were higher than the PM2.5.

Sure enough. Type 미세먼지 in the Naver search bar and you get a chart, but it's lacking in detail. At least when you type "미" "미세먼지" is the first auto-fill suggestion.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2017, 06:27:57 PM »
Koreans are telling me the air pollution is really bad lately, but according to my app it's not any worse than usual and still in the moderate range?

Do you guys know if some apps are better than others or why some wouldn't be reporting the bad air?

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2017, 09:55:08 PM »
Koreans are telling me the air pollution is really bad lately, but according to my app it's not any worse than usual and still in the moderate range?

Do you guys know if some apps are better than others or why some wouldn't be reporting the bad air?
This is what I use: http://aqicn.org/map/seoul/

Scroll down and you can focus in on where you live.

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2017, 09:57:09 PM »

I was supposed to have a couple classes cancelled yesterday because they were going to be practicing for sports day, but they ended up getting cancelled because I was told there were elevated levels of yellow dust in the air. Okay, fine, but then I checked the fine dust report myself and it was 'moderate'; actually a lot better than most days here recently, days when no outdoor activities are cancelled. I did notice though that in the reading I was looking at, the PM10 particles exceeded the PM2.5 particle level, when it's usually the opposite. But that still wouldn't explain why they cancelled the outdoor activities, since PM2.5 are considered more threatening to health, no? I don't want to believe it's just because this dust happened to be colored yellow...
Because they didn't really want to have a sports day and this was a good excuse not to?

Offline donovan

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2017, 11:19:29 PM »

I was supposed to have a couple classes cancelled yesterday because they were going to be practicing for sports day, but they ended up getting cancelled because I was told there were elevated levels of yellow dust in the air. Okay, fine, but then I checked the fine dust report myself and it was 'moderate'; actually a lot better than most days here recently, days when no outdoor activities are cancelled. I did notice though that in the reading I was looking at, the PM10 particles exceeded the PM2.5 particle level, when it's usually the opposite. But that still wouldn't explain why they cancelled the outdoor activities, since PM2.5 are considered more threatening to health, no? I don't want to believe it's just because this dust happened to be colored yellow...
Because they didn't really want to have a sports day and this was a good excuse not to?

Well, these were just a couple sports day practice sessions, but I do wonder if the school would have the guts to cancel the actual sports day over fine dust concerns.

Offline gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2017, 08:40:20 PM »

Well, these were just a couple sports day practice sessions, but I do wonder if the school would have the guts to cancel the actual sports day over fine dust concerns.
What goes into "just a couple" sports day practices? Seems to take all the fun/life out of it.

Offline donovan

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2017, 03:27:37 PM »

What goes into "just a couple" sports day practices? Seems to take all the fun/life out of it.

Hah. I did wonder, but didn't think to ask. How to pass the baton, I guess? No clue. They did a pretty good job of taking the fun out of last year's games without any pre-gameday practices. Illustrative vignette: One game involved having all the students of a grade split into two teams and race against each other through their own sets of successive hula hoops which were being held upright by students' mothers. This goes well for the first 10 seconds until both sides slow down to the pace of their slowest teammate, after which it's about 4 minutes of both teams sauntering single-file to the finish line, taking a deep bow for each of the 10 hula hoops.

But that's neither here nor there.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2017, 03:43:50 PM »
Most of the worst has passed us as far as dust and pollution.  Readings more mild now.  Sky is still slightly hazy near the mountains due to pine tree dust (pollen).  Different from Chinese yellow dust.  This pollen is common in later April for a short time.  Nothing much to worry about.

Get out cycling to the countryside while the weather is nice for the next 3 weeks or so.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2017, 05:08:27 PM »
OECD countries ranked- best to worst air: level of atmospheric PM2.5 in micrograms per cubic meter

Australia 5.9

Norway 6

Finland 7

Iceland  7.2

Sweden 7.3

Ireland 7.9

New Zealand 8.6

Estonia  9.1

Portugal 9.9

United States 10.7

United Kingdom 10.8

Denmark 11.1

Spain 11.6

Mexico 11.9

Canada 12.1

Latvia 12.1

Slovenia 13.7

France 14.1

Russian Federation 14.2

South Africa 14.4

Austria 14.9

Luxembourg 15

Germany 15.4

Greece 15.4

Hungary 15.7

Japan 16

Slovak Republic 16

Czech Republic 16.5

Brazil 16.6

Netherlands 16.8

Poland 16.9

Turkey 17.2

Switzerland 17.3

Italy 18.3

Chile 18.5

Belgium 18.6

Israel 25.9

South Korea 29.1

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2017, 08:55:19 PM »
Every morning my throat burns from the dirty air if I don't wear a mask to sleep. Also when I wake up the mask has a visible grey layer. Glad I'm out soon

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2017, 02:47:27 PM »

Recent Lesson Plans

HAIKYU! Bomb Game by Mister Tim
[Yesterday at 07:18:12 PM]

Naruto Mystery Scroll Bomb Game by Mister Tim
[Yesterday at 07:02:51 PM]

Overwatch Themed Board Game! by kobayashi
[Yesterday at 06:40:40 PM]

Moana Camp by xenal
[Yesterday at 05:56:13 PM]

Short on Supplies Summer Camp by cuthza
[Yesterday at 05:53:57 PM]