December 11, 2017, 08:21:40 AM

Author Topic: South Korea's Air Quality is Terrible - Ranks 173rd out of 180 Countries  (Read 3483 times)

Offline hangook77

• Adventurer
Re: South Korea's Air Quality is Terrible - Ranks 173rd out of 180 Countries
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 09:51:44 PM »
I never kept track of the pollution levels until this year, but May and June have been looking good in comparison to January through April of this year.

Winter (and spring) is worse because of poor people in China and Mongolia burning coal for heat. Even tires and plastic and anything that'll burn.

Makes sense.  I guess diesel here too?

Offline Chester Jim

• Expert Waygook
  • Getter Done
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 10:22:16 PM »
Has anybody noticed a difference since the new president came into office? I never kept track of the pollution levels until this year, but May and June have been looking good in comparison to January through April of this year.

Intesseting
What your conspiracy theory?

The previous administration wa saying or the new one is being framed
Bonzai!

Offline Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 09:40:41 PM »
Wouldn't it be any wonder why I got cancer when I was in Korea?

I am in remission now and I am here in Canada working. I am not in a
major Canadian city but rather in a rural area by freshwater lakes.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 12:55:52 PM »
According to the World Health Organization, inhalation of fine dust particles causes 7 million people to die early every year, more than smoking. For every 5㎍/㎥ increase in the density of fine dust particles, the risk of lung cancer increases by 22 percent. Try not to go outside when fine dust levels are high, and wear a mask if you must.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2017/11/04/2017110400402.html

Offline Sir-Mark

• Waygookin
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 02:28:27 PM »
Despite the source, Korea is much better than many, outside of Seoul.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 03:19:34 PM »
New York City has an reading of AQI reading of 12.
http://aqicn.org/city/newyork/
Look at Korea in comparison- anywhere in Korea:
http://aqicn.org/map/southkorea
Ten times as high!  :huh: :sad:
Knowledge is power. If people understand the reality of the situation, they will be more motivated to work hard to affect change.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 11:00:59 AM »
Trump was going to do a surprise visit to the DMZ after all but cancelled it because of SMOG. They're lying as usual and claiming it was "fog," but PM 2.5 over Seoul currently is around 185 or so.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2017/11/120_238941.html

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 04:02:19 PM »
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2017/11/371_238949.html

Chinese fine dust rains down on western South Korea

Fog my ass!

Online Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2017, 07:22:30 AM »
We could go a live in Dehli where the readings are off the chart, they only go up to 999 so it could have been much more.

A public health emergency has been declared by doctors in Delhi as air quality in the world’s most polluted capital city plunged to levels likened to smoking at least 50 cigarettes in a single day.

Slow winds and colder temperatures have been blamed for a surge in airborne pollutants beyond what instruments in the city could measure with some recording an Air Quality Index (AQI) maximum of 999.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/07/delhi-india-declares-pollution-emergency-as-smog-chokes-city

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2017, 07:47:26 PM »
Do you actually have verification that it was in fact canceled because of smog or is this just a theory (not an unreasonable one)? I mean, do you actually have any proof of this?

I mean, were all U.S. helicopter flights involving the President grounded or was it just limited to travel to the DMZ?

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2017, 02:38:50 PM »
Do you actually have verification that it was in fact canceled because of smog or is this just a theory (not an unreasonable one)? I mean, do you actually have any proof of this?

I mean, were all U.S. helicopter flights involving the President grounded or was it just limited to travel to the DMZ?

They said they cancelled it because of fog. As I said, PM 2.5 was around 185 that day. That's not fog, it's smog. Also take note of the same-day Korea(n) Times article about "heavy Chinese fine dust blanketing Korea."

You can split hairs all you like and argue about when the fog starts and the smog begins but the fact is that it was  a smoggy day, and Koreans refuse to accept how smoggy their country is, and they refuse to take any responsibility for it even though Koreans (not dirty foreigners) in and out of the government have shown time and time again that most of the smog here is from South Korea.

Offline dandred

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2017, 05:54:41 PM »
I notice the local farmers are stubble burning the dead rice fields yet again. Some are actually ploughing their feilds but the majority are burning them... retards.
12 years teaching experience. CELTA, DELTA, MA TESOL, PhD candidate. Thank you.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2017, 08:34:28 PM »

They said they cancelled it because of fog. As I said, PM 2.5 was around 185 that day. That's not fog, it's smog. Also take note of the same-day Korea(n) Times article about "heavy Chinese fine dust blanketing Korea."

You can split hairs all you like and argue about when the fog starts and the smog begins but the fact is that it was  a smoggy day, and Koreans refuse to accept how smoggy their country is, and they refuse to take any responsibility for it even though Koreans (not dirty foreigners) in and out of the government have shown time and time again that most of the smog here is from South Korea.

Right but if Marine One did other flights that day in smoggy parts of Korea it would mean that indeed there was fog at the DMZ. I'm not saying it wasn't smog, but you have conjecture and coincidence not solid proof. It's certainly plausible though.

I mean if it was simply slightly hazy I don't see how it was bad enough to seriously affect visiblity. We aren't talking China levels off pure gray clouds you can't see through. Even when it's bad you still have at least a mile of visibility. On the other hand it is the President so I can imagine extra caution vs. say routine helicopter flights.

I just think you should put this as a theory rather than as a fact.