October 17, 2017, 04:48:57 PM

Author Topic: My Apt is loud at night!  (Read 5803 times)

Online CMceachern

• Waygookin
Re: My Apt is loud at night!
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 03:00:05 PM »
Ha! ha!  I live by coffee girls that must fight quite often over men!  It sounds like WWF some nights!! 

Offline grandfromage

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 03:27:09 PM »
A nice big fan works wonders.  For me a cockroach farting the next building over is enough to keep me up, so it's absolutely required.  I still have people shouting outside my apartment and keeping me up regularly, but the fan drowns out most other noise.

Offline Khuli

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 04:32:47 PM »
In this case you only two options; either you give it some time and get used to the level of noise, or you request that they get you a new apartment. I diddnt like my old apartment and I simply told my coteacher and I moved out....slight caveat-I had to find my own apartment

Offline StevenC264

• Waygookin
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 06:15:08 PM »
I'm too cheap to buy a fan, so I simply turn on the range hood to generate white noise.

Speaking of loud apartments, anyone else live next to a crazy lady? There's one above me who breaks into hysterical fits of screaming early in the morning 0_o

Offline IslandGook

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 01:51:30 PM »
Any suggestions on how to deal with fighting cats?  I've got a mostly quiet neighborhood, but there are 3-4 cats around that sometimes really get into it at night and wake me up.

I'm not sure how close they are, but sometimes it sounds like they are right outside the window or on the roof. 

Offline koreaimhere

• Explorer
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 02:08:53 PM »
My apartment is crazy loud at night. I've been there for over a year now and am pretty much used to it but friends can't believe how loud it is :) I started using earplugs which were great, you can still hear your alarm if it's close to you but as I sometimes shower at night, got an ear infection from not drying off properly I guess, it was painnnnnnnnn. If I need to I use a fan in summer anyway.

Offline alwaysgood

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 03:16:07 AM »
I agree about using a fan.  They were constructing a new building next to my old place and usually started around 5am. This was particularly annoying when they were working on the same floor.

Offline Horus

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 04:50:54 AM »
It's the sheer rudeness of people making the noise that annoys me. I can never really come to terms with how rude Koreans can be, and how inconsiderate of others they are.

Ochodnid

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 05:10:28 AM »
I live on the 8th floor and sound just bounces off the building across from me. I can't stand the yelling and screaming from people sometimes. Sundays are bad too, because this lady sits outside on a megaphone and blasts out advertisements. Let's not forget the 4 apartment building being built around me. I wake up a 6:30am every morning by habit, because a truck would deliver things at that time and the backup sound was SO LOUD. Let's not forget him honking his horn a few times as he got there. I am glad my neighbors are silent, thank God.

I've become rather use to things now. It still bothers me at times, but I just turn something on to make noise.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2011, 06:29:24 AM »
Mine is pretty loud most of the time as well, unfortunately. I live by a fairly busy road near a big retail area with a lot of shops and restaurants, so there's always people around, including people who stay out late acting boisterous in the middle of the night, much to my dismay.

Offline valstewart

• Waygookin
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2011, 09:36:50 PM »
I second the guy to posted about Ambiant noises.  Download to your ipod or iphone, get some cheap speakers at Home Plus (I have found for about 15,000won) and sleep well.  Couldn't get a good night's sleep without it.

Offline Jyang486

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2011, 09:49:06 PM »
Like clockwork, right outside of my window (I live on the 3rd floor), at 2 AM a noisy vehicle pulls up to the apartment and the guy gets out of his car but lets his car run and he doesn't come back til 30 or so minutes after.  Even with the window closed I can hear the damn vehicle.  I don't understand why people don't just switch off their cars when they have business to attend to.  Seems like a lot of drivers in Korea are ignorant to the fact that engines weren't designed to idle for long periods of time.

Offline randarchy

• Adventurer
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2011, 09:55:03 PM »
I love this website.. I just leave this on all night. It's a life saver.  Brown noise is my favorite  :laugh:

http://simplynoise.com/

Offline iwalkonwater

• Explorer
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 01:42:34 AM »

I think mine is worse than yours as I live above a busy street. The people who got drunk in the restaurants would talk loudly and sometime just sing on the top of their lung at the weirdest hours. There is really not much you can do maybe. Read a boring book and fall asleep in a jiffy

Offline Waygookingumisi

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 02:01:50 AM »
I had one night a very loud bunch of korean's older ones, drinking till 3-4am very loud but I shut the windows was just about ok. I also get woken by doors slamming and other stuff, its all part the experience.
"Independence? That's middle class blasphemy. We are all dependent on one another, every soul of us on earth."

Offline danitravels

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 02:59:10 AM »
You may or may not need the fireplace... But it helps!!

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/ca4bl/time_to_get_classy

Offline west coast tatterdemalion

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 03:34:48 AM »
I doubt noise ordinances exist in Korea. If they do, they are ignored. White noise is the best thing. A fan is good and gets the job done. Too bad you can't get a hold of someone like Freddy to take care of the kiddies. It would get real silent real fast.

Offline kneukels

• Veteran
  • Hugs not Drugs!
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 09:10:35 AM »
I'm too cheap to buy a fan, so I simply turn on the range hood to generate white noise.

Speaking of loud apartments, anyone else live next to a crazy lady? There's one above me who breaks into hysterical fits of screaming early in the morning 0_o

I am convinced that I live in a madhouse...
I live on the third floor of a beautiful little 4 floor building. In general it's very quiet around here, the nearest busy road is just far enough for me not to be bothered but my neighbours...ohlala!

I swear I have a banshee living upstairs...At least once a week World War 3 will break out upstairs and the screaming will start…all hours of the day. I’ve been woken up at 3 in the morning and once even at 8am as I was on my way to school. Constantly. At first I was like ‘wtf?’. I thought someone was being raped or murdered and I didn't know what to do, should I call the Police? By now I know this woman is pure mad (I've seen her staring at me through the window as I was walking outside, very eerie, hair over the face type of thing). Needless to say, at least she entertains me…my other neighbours are a different story.

Just downstairs are the hottest couple in Korea. Crazy mattress dance time whenever wherever. Loud LOUD noises. Close window. Switch on the fan noises. At first I thought it might just be a newly wed couple but THEN I saw a woman and a middle school kid coming out of that apartment…I’ve never seen an older man though…I’m not judging :P

And OMG way downstairs lives the next ‘Whitney Houston’. This girl has obviously never heard of a Noraebang, but everyone know this, she WILL be famous because she practices everyday! Constantly this singing…or more like ‘cat whose neck is being twisted around sounds’…madness, no one can sleep through that…windows closed, aircon and TV ON…

This all bothered me a lot at first, I used to tell my co teachers all these stories (I think they thought I was complaining, I wasn't I'm just so amazed). I've never had neighbours living so close to me before. South Africa is a big country, we've got space, away from our neighbours. My advice to you, just hang in there! After a while you become used to it and if you have an open mind you might even start enjoying it :P

Offline O.M.C.M.B.

• Adventurer
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 10:19:20 AM »
Where I can I find a decent pair of ear plugs? I bought some 3M ones, the orange, foamy type from E-mart, but I want some that are higher quality. Tanks, Tank you.

Offline freckleswin

• Adventurer
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 10:56:48 AM »
Apartments are always interesting.  Often, when they are in the city, there is more activity, especially regarding 'special' characters.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment