September 25, 2017, 06:52:12 PM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 174526 times)

Offline SkidMarx

• Veteran
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #880 on: August 22, 2016, 01:25:43 PM »
Double agreed. In any case, first day back, only to find the bathrooms all ripped up and a Goddamn payloader driving around the hallways. I knew the bathrooms were being renovated (the staff and kids actually voted on the designs before vacation, which is pretty cool) but I thought they'd be done by now. Asked the secretaries when the first day of class was and they said Wednesday so I just left. Kinda wish someone had told me though.

Seems like my school has a lot of cash kicking around these days. First the nurse's office gets rebuilt and doubled in size and now this. Hope they aren't blowing the NET budget.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 01:30:40 PM by SkidMarx »

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #881 on: August 22, 2016, 04:25:25 PM »
Halfway through my final contract!!! *happy dance* Just a little over six months left, but it's only about four and a half months to the end of the semester and the end of camp, and then it's a month and a half of vacation and deskwarming (I'll just be having coffee with one of the other teachers or reading the entire time) HALLELUJAH!!!

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #882 on: August 22, 2016, 11:30:36 PM »
Double agreed. In any case, first day back, only to find the bathrooms all ripped up and a Goddamn payloader driving around the hallways. I knew the bathrooms were being renovated (the staff and kids actually voted on the designs before vacation, which is pretty cool) but I thought they'd be done by now. Asked the secretaries when the first day of class was and they said Wednesday so I just left. Kinda wish someone had told me though.

Seems like my school has a lot of cash kicking around these days. First the nurse's office gets rebuilt and doubled in size and now this. Hope they aren't blowing the NET budget.

위어드. Sounds exactly like my school except we tore up our parking lot and replaced some of the classrooms door and window frames and opted to tear up the bathrooms during an extended winter vacation. Our principal held a vote among staff members as to whether they would prefer a longer winter/shorter summer vacation or vice versa for the bathroom repairs. Most everyone voted for a longer summer vacation but the principal went ahead with winter anyway :lipsrsealed: It's not just foreign teachers who have to change vacation plans based on capricious immutable dictums from above. They finished the paving in time for second semester, but the construction workers' discarded cigarette butts can still be spotted hither and thither in various corners of the school grounds. I sure hope that once they do get around to the bathroom repairs, all the shit smeared on the stall walls will be gone at last. Does anybody else's school have shit-smeared bathroom stalls? What drives such behavior? I'm talking multiple stalls on multiple floors that hasn't been washed off for weeeeks. I wouldn't blame the cleaning lady if she decided that's where she draws the line.

*Sorry this was neither raving nor happy, but it wasn't really ranting either. More of an aside. I'll try to stick to the forum topic better in the future~
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:48:50 AM by donovan »

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #883 on: August 23, 2016, 07:56:10 AM »
It's not just crusted on stall walls at my school, but it's down the front face of the actual toilets...like seriously sick students had violent bowels and weren't able to get their pants off and sit down in time before the eruption.

Why the school district isn't required to hire professionals to clean the schools seems criminal.

Our school employs one elderly lady to "clean" the entire school, which explains why our school is so filthy.  Her cleaning supplies, ability, etc. are seriously lacking.

She will use the same equipment to "clean" the urinals and then clean the sink, rather than clean the sink first and then the urinal.

Bottom line, whether you can see it or not with the naked eye, it's best to assume that every school is teaming with filth and germs.

Korea, sparkling ;)

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #884 on: August 23, 2016, 10:35:19 AM »
Went to Lotte Mart, yesterday, and amidst the soul crushing Lotte mart tunes, reverberating around the supermarket, I heard something strange. I walked past the bakery and the baker, was listening to Slipknot!
It was so refreshing to see this guy lightly bobbing his head, rolling the dough and listening to his Slipknot.

Offline Zaiterade

• Veteran
« Reply #885 on: August 23, 2016, 10:42:40 AM »
Agreed! I don't have classes until Wednesday. And then if all is the same, no classes Thurs. or Friday due to a field trip. So I can actually prep lessons in a non-frantic manner  :cheesy: at least for a while...

Also super excited for any down time or travel cause I have a shiny new 3DS now! Got both N64 Zelda remakes and A Link Between Worlds (which I'm stoked for because A Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda game!). Kinda went a little nuts getting games but figured it'd be much easier while visiting home.
Get the Fire Emblem games! You won't regret it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #886 on: August 23, 2016, 10:52:56 AM »
Agreed! I don't have classes until Wednesday. And then if all is the same, no classes Thurs. or Friday due to a field trip. So I can actually prep lessons in a non-frantic manner  :cheesy: at least for a while...

Also super excited for any down time or travel cause I have a shiny new 3DS now! Got both N64 Zelda remakes and A Link Between Worlds (which I'm stoked for because A Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda game!). Kinda went a little nuts getting games but figured it'd be much easier while visiting home.

I've heard good things! Got so many games on my to play list. And I just started one on my computer-- I am Setsuna. And I am digging it!  ;D Probably not the best idea to start new games when the semester is just kicking off, hahahah but oh well

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #887 on: August 23, 2016, 10:57:42 AM »

I've heard good things! Got so many games on my to play list. And I just started one on my computer-- I am Setsuna. And I am digging it!  ;D Probably not the best idea to start new games when the semester is just kicking off, hahahah but oh well

Sounds awesome!  I recently got a 3DS too; I love it.  Just finished New Super Mario Bros 2 and moving on to Ocarina next  :wink:

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #888 on: August 23, 2016, 10:59:10 AM »
I want to get an old NES. Should have bought one while I was back in the States.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #889 on: August 23, 2016, 11:48:20 AM »
I want to get an old NES. Should have bought one while I was back in the States.

DID YOU KNOW... There will soon be a new mini NES with built in games? http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/14/12187296/nintendo-nes-classic-edition-announced-price-games

And it's cheaper than getting a used NES from most places (though I don't think you can play old cartridges on the new mini).

I'm just gonna be sitting here waiting for a new mini SNES  ;D

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #890 on: August 23, 2016, 12:04:48 PM »

DID YOU KNOW... There will soon be a new mini NES with built in games? http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/14/12187296/nintendo-nes-classic-edition-announced-price-games

And it's cheaper than getting a used NES from most places (though I don't think you can play old cartridges on the new mini).

WHHHHHAAAT ~!

Thanks for this, I'm sending that link to my brother.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #891 on: August 23, 2016, 12:05:29 PM »

I don't understand why people would pay money for an emulator.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #892 on: August 23, 2016, 12:07:27 PM »

Because it's cheaper than the original (the ones that are in good enough condition to be worth it anyway), won't break down as often, and works better than what's available online.

Plus, this particular one is actually by Nintendo with the classic NES look.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 12:09:23 PM by Chinguetti »

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #893 on: August 23, 2016, 12:11:14 PM »

Because it's cheaper and won't break down as often?

But like... I'm assuming these same people also probably download things like music, TV, movies, etc.

Emulators and emulator files can also be downloaded for free, and you're getting the exact same thing.

I guess the novelty of a little plastic NES replica is fun for some people, but ehhh, it's basically like buying a USB drive with emulators loaded on it.

I guess it's like how I don't understand why people pay for iTunes files. I totally understand buying a CD, cassette or LP, because you're getting a premium product, but paying to download a lossy audio file in a proprietary format is weird.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #894 on: August 23, 2016, 12:16:56 PM »

For the pretty packaging of course  :wink:

And more easily portable-- though I have a friend who has done wonders with the raspberry pi. But I'm not savvy with that kinda stuff.

Personally I have always preferred having the original console and controllers to an emulator if I can help it, but that's just me. It's not always the most economical, I'm aware.

Offline Zaiterade

• Veteran
« Reply #895 on: August 23, 2016, 12:27:27 PM »

But like... I'm assuming these same people also probably download things like music, TV, movies, etc.

Emulators and emulator files can also be downloaded for free, and you're getting the exact same thing.

I guess the novelty of a little plastic NES replica is fun for some people, but ehhh, it's basically like buying a USB drive with emulators loaded on it.

I guess it's like how I don't understand why people pay for iTunes files. I totally understand buying a CD, cassette or LP, because you're getting a premium product, but paying to download a lossy audio file in a proprietary format is weird.
When it comes to games (especially Nintendo since none of their games are for PC) I would rather play it on a TV with a controller. I love PC and play here in Korea, but some things work best the old fashioned way.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #896 on: August 23, 2016, 12:30:18 PM »

Sorry, I edited my original post, but yeah, I don't like the online downloads of the games (they're just not the same to me) or needing my personal computer to play a game that I've grown up playing using controllers. I prefer a console that I can just plug into any TV. Plus it's a lot of fun to take to parties and get-togethers.

But even without that, I'm a sucker for the novelty, yeah. I like the old NES, but I've had several now and getting them maintenanced is a PITA, so a smaller re-vamped version of the same thing is right up my alley.

And more easily portable-- though I have a friend who has done wonders with the raspberry pi. But I'm not savvy with that kinda stuff.

This doesn't exactly make the old NES more portable, but I thought it was neat and it supposedly makes it more playable (less likely to freeze, easier to load the old cartridges, etc.). I've been tempted to try it out, but I can never find a toaster I like enough to gut an old NES for. xD

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/nintoaster-stuffs-a-nintendo-console-into-a-retro-toaster/

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #897 on: August 23, 2016, 12:33:38 PM »

When it comes to games (especially Nintendo since none of their games are for PC) I would rather play it on a TV with a controller. I love PC and play here in Korea, but some things work best the old fashioned way.

Well, yeah, of course if you have a nice, good quality CRT TV, it's going to look a million times better than if you're playing on an LCD or LED TV, or computer monitor. But those are super bulky considering the size of most of our apartments.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #898 on: August 23, 2016, 12:40:50 PM »

Sorry, I edited my original post, but yeah, I don't like the online downloads of the games (they're just not the same to me) or needing my personal computer to play a game that I've grown up playing using controllers. I prefer a console that I can just plug into any TV. Plus it's a lot of fun to take to parties and get-togethers.

But even without that, I'm a sucker for the novelty, yeah. I like the old NES, but I've had several now and getting them maintenanced is a PITA, so a smaller re-vamped version of the same thing is right up my alley.

This doesn't exactly make the old NES more portable, but I thought it was neat and it supposedly makes it more playable (less likely to freeze, easier to load the old cartridges, etc.). I've been tempted to try it out, but I can never find a toaster I like enough to gut an old NES for. xD

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/nintoaster-stuffs-a-nintendo-console-into-a-retro-toaster/

I'll just throw it out there that you can plug PCs into TVs and play (most) games using a controllers nowadays. My TV is basically a giant computer monitor.

I've never tried an emulated game though.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #899 on: August 23, 2016, 12:48:39 PM »
I'll just throw it out there that you can plug PCs into TVs and play (most) games using a controllers nowadays. My TV is basically a giant computer monitor.

I've never tried an emulated game though.

Yeah, but that's not really too convenient. There are extra steps involved with that and it requires adapters, and let's say you have a desktop vs. a laptop, or maybe someone wants to use the computer while you're playing the game...

I like having flexible options and don't like having to undo/re-do cables every time I want to play something.

Plus, again, the downloadable emulators aren't the same. They'll do if you don't have access to the real thing, but they just don't compare.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment