November 20, 2017, 05:32:08 PM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 196516 times)

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #800 on: July 26, 2016, 12:26:55 PM »
I've never taught 1st or 2nd grade before and I was kind of nervous but they're much better behaved than my 3rd and 4th graders and they're so darn cute. They're fun even when camp is stressful.

I love these grades. They are so freakin adorable.

Offline ashleynp2010

• Adventurer
« Reply #801 on: July 26, 2016, 02:14:59 PM »
Deskwarming sucks and I hate it.

But I just got paid to laminate my drawings to decorate my apartment. Then I did a P90X workout. Now I'm going to watch a movie.

So today, life isn't so bad. Here's hoping I can keep this positive attitude for three whole weeks.

(btw all of the p90x programs have a free 30 day online trial right now. If you're bored and going on a beach vacation soon, maybe check it out)

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #802 on: July 26, 2016, 02:36:39 PM »
I've never taught 1st or 2nd grade before and I was kind of nervous but they're much better behaved than my 3rd and 4th graders and they're so darn cute. They're fun even when camp is stressful.

I love these grades. They are so freakin adorable.

Ditto. Plus, you know what you're dealing with. True beginners are fantastic because they're all on the same level and you can build those solid foundations and see results. So much easier to build that intrinsic motivation. And they're always just so excited to be there!
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #803 on: July 26, 2016, 02:43:08 PM »
Taught the students how to make quesadillas today! They loved 'em!!   ;D
I really enjoy cooking with the students ^^

There were a few extra tortillas left over and one group still had a lot of sauteed veggies left so they made a monster quesadilla  :laugh: It basically exploded when they tried to cut it into pieces

Online flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #804 on: July 26, 2016, 02:56:21 PM »
I think my coteacher was a little annoyed with our cooking class today and acted like she had just completed a marathon when it was over. She texted my other coteacher (who will do this activity with me next week) and warned her what to expect in the class.She said how difficult it was and I was feeling a little guilty. Though really all she did was slice some bananas and cucumbers and help me fill up some bags of milk and ice (to make ice cream) and hand out plates and stuff. I was the one who helped the kids and cleaned up, so really I don't know what the fuss was about.

Anyway to the happy part. I texted my other coteacher and told her please don't worry, I will do as much prep as I can, and she won't have to do much. She texted me back and said, "I'm not worried about that class. Because you will be  there." And I know she means it too. With her I'm sure it will be a fun class because she is so much more mellow and doesn't turn into a nervous wreck over every little thing. Her simple message really cheered me up and I adore her.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #805 on: July 26, 2016, 03:00:59 PM »
She texted me back and said, "I'm not worried about that class. Because you will be  there."

A budding romance.  :P

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #806 on: July 27, 2016, 07:55:35 AM »
I got a tattoo last night and I am so so so happy about it. Kind of wondering if it will be an issue, as it is on my wrist, but I actually don't care that much. Once it heals Ill throw a watch over it if people get all snitty about it.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #807 on: July 27, 2016, 09:43:45 AM »
I got a tattoo last night and I am so so so happy about it. Kind of wondering if it will be an issue, as it is on my wrist, but I actually don't care that much. Once it heals Ill throw a watch over it if people get all snitty about it.

I have two tattoos on my wrist, worked at three schools and no one has ever said anything! You should be fine

Offline sunflowerxoxo

• Adventurer
« Reply #808 on: July 27, 2016, 12:36:45 PM »
Today was ten times better than yesterday (look at my ranting post if you want proof :laugh:). My "coteacher" was too busy to help so she sent the 2nd grade teacher. And get this, the 2nd grade teacher actually helped. She let me take control but whenever she saw that I might be struggling (with 1st and 2nd grade) she stepped in. Anyways, we did an alphabet animal relay race, pass the water balloon, and duck, duck, goose. Then we came back inside and cooled down with animal yoga and ended with the baby shark song. It was great and they had a blast.

My 3rd-6th grade camp was cool, too. The boys made props (fake blood and all) and we filmed their zombie movie (Zombies, a police officer and a mad scientist). The girls made their props and tidied up their storyboard to film for tomorrow. It was hilarious when I showed them my storyboard script--the girls liked it because it had romance ("Hello." "Hello." "I love you." "Ok, let's kiss.") and the boys loved it because it had fighting (because of a love triangle) and a zombie resurrection (the scorned lover came back to haunt them from the dead). All in all, awesome day  8) 8) 8)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #809 on: July 27, 2016, 03:12:46 PM »
I stayed up until 2 am trying to get videos in this powerpoint to work, and woke up at 6 am this morning to continue. Both my personal and work computer are little shits so by the time I left for camp I just put everything together along with the videos as separate files on my usb and prayed it would work on my coteacher's work computer which we're using for camp and.... it did! Truly a blessing from god. Because otherwise class would've sucked much harder.

Online welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SHIT MEGATHREAD
« Reply #810 on: July 28, 2016, 07:28:27 AM »
First day of camp yesterday - and it went surprisingly well.  I feel I have finally honed the camp down to the bare essentials, and it's what it needs to be, and the kids were great, except for the complaining about not wanting to pop balloons because 'teacher, it's scary!'.  Sigh, kids.  but cute kids who are mostly happy to be at camp.  And that in itself is surprising.  Day two should be just as good.

Best part: 3 days of camp, weekend, 2 days of camp, finished!  Some may say they would prefer to get it over with in one go, but I like the break and the feeling of two short weeks. 

Other good part: Co-T was perhaps the best she has been all year, supportive, not intrusive, letting me lead and stepping in only when needed and just simply being helpful.  Finally!!

Online flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #811 on: July 28, 2016, 12:00:55 PM »
First day of camp yesterday - and it went surprisingly well.  I feel I have finally honed the camp down to the bare essentials, and it's what it needs to be, and the kids were great, except for the complaining about not wanting to pop balloons because 'teacher, it's scary!'.  Sigh, kids.  but cute kids who are mostly happy to be at camp.  And that in itself is surprising.  Day two should be just as good.

Best part: 3 days of camp, weekend, 2 days of camp, finished!  Some may say they would prefer to get it over with in one go, but I like the break and the feeling of two short weeks. 

Other good part: Co-T was perhaps the best she has been all year, supportive, not intrusive, letting me lead and stepping in only when needed and just simply being helpful.  Finally!!

Ha the balloon thing happened to me too. I had a game where they had to see who could pop the balloons a certain way and they flat out refused.

You only have 5 days of camp? That's nice. I have 10 days and I'm trying to make it fun but I'm worried the kids will just give up next week because they're sick of it.

My happy thing: Camp went really well today. I had thought the boys wouldn't like the hand print orchid craft but they liked it the most. ;D

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #812 on: July 28, 2016, 03:02:14 PM »
I was in the school by my self today and use the school "giant as all crap" printer to print my self out a wall poster of my country for my apartment (with the principals permission of course).

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #813 on: July 29, 2016, 09:44:07 AM »
A couple of teachers helped me download the Korean Air app.  I used it to check in & get the boarding pass for my flight tomorrow morning.    :smiley:

Offline chrislis90

• Adventurer
« Reply #814 on: July 29, 2016, 10:28:48 AM »
Last day of camp complete. Just 2 days of desk warming next week (they usually let me leave at lunch) and then holidays!

Online hulme187

• Veteran
« Reply #815 on: July 29, 2016, 10:30:28 AM »
Last day of camp completed, made even better because the students made pizza. Now to start my 3 week vacation by visiting my home country after almost 3 years and a nice trip to Spain.

Online Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #816 on: July 29, 2016, 11:57:24 AM »
Camp's done. It was probably the  best camp I've had in the four and a half years I've been here. To make things even better, my school says I can "work from home" instead of deskwarming, so I'm going to have a nice, loooooon summer break.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #817 on: July 29, 2016, 12:09:21 PM »
Camp's done. It was probably the  best camp I've had in the four and a half years I've been here. To make things even better, my school says I can "work from home" instead of deskwarming, so I'm going to have a nice, loooooon summer break.
Congratulations!

Would love to know if it was your curriculum that made it so great or something else.

Thanks.

Online Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #818 on: July 29, 2016, 12:22:26 PM »
Congratulations!

Would love to know if it was your curriculum that made it so great or something else.

Thanks.

It was a combination of the curriculum and the students themselves. For once, there were no slackers or troublemakers. Every student who came was one of the better students in his or her respective English classes. I didn't have to slow down for anyone, I didn't have discipline issues, and I didn't have re-teach any basic stuff any middle school student should already know.

It wasn't some miraculous high-speed curriculum, though. Don't get the wrong idea.  :laugh: :laugh:
I pretty much just did a week-long Let's Play of a PC game, teaching them relevant English vocab along the way and having them tell me where to go and what to do. They really got into it, especially part that involved designing and furnishing their own buildings. That ended up killing an entire day, haha.

Offline sunflowerxoxo

• Adventurer
« Reply #819 on: July 29, 2016, 12:54:22 PM »
A little under 3 hours until my 2 week summer vacation  ;D ;D ;D