September 21, 2017, 09:31:42 PM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 172903 times)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SHIT MEGATHREAD
« Reply #720 on: July 08, 2016, 02:35:25 PM »
My Google Play store is in Korean, even though my Google account was made in the US and has a US address and payment method attached to it. Any ideas how to get the US store to show up?

I've tried resetting the app on my phone, clearing the cache, etc. But only the Korean store shows up.

Are you logged into Google, or just searching in "not logged in" mode?

Logged in, for sure. I've gotten the Korean app store from Day 1 since I got here. Maybe it's linked to IP as well?

I have a friend who successfully installed it by going to the google play store *on the computer* and did that thing where you tell it to download an app to one of your devices

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #721 on: July 08, 2016, 02:41:07 PM »
My Google Play store is in Korean, even though my Google account was made in the US and has a US address and payment method attached to it. Any ideas how to get the US store to show up?

I've tried resetting the app on my phone, clearing the cache, etc. But only the Korean store shows up.

I had the same problem with the app store so I found it online and downloaded it direct and installed from my downloaded files.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #722 on: July 08, 2016, 02:42:06 PM »
I have a student who will excuse himself from class when he feels a fart coming on. He excuses himself often.

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #723 on: July 08, 2016, 02:44:14 PM »

Logged in, for sure. I've gotten the Korean app store from Day 1 since I got here. Maybe it's linked to IP as well?

I have a friend who successfully installed it by going to the google play store *on the computer* and did that thing where you tell it to download an app to one of your devices

Play store on the computer is still in Korean - I definitely tried that. I'll maybe try a VPN at home, but I'm not so sure that'll work...guess I can just wait until the official program gets here. *sigh*

..but wait, happy stuff! It's almost the weekend, and I'm going to see "Finding Dory"! Hooray!

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #724 on: July 08, 2016, 02:49:54 PM »
I think everyone is better waiting for it to be released here. I made a temp Australian iTunes account to get it (my iTunes is linked with the U.K. store and making a new account gets around the payment method thing) and the maps haven't been updated for the region yet so you can't really do anything except catch your starter.

Offline reudibeat

• Veteran
« Reply #725 on: July 08, 2016, 02:50:28 PM »
Told my favourite sixth grade class today that I'm leaving Korea in the summer (the only class I've told so far). I was met with a chorus of "NO!!!"s and "Don't go!"s and it really turned my day around/made me a bit sad at the same time.

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #726 on: July 08, 2016, 04:46:30 PM »

So, Pokemon Go was available on Andorid 4.4 and above for a brief period in Korea on Wednesday afternoon. It has since disappeared from the store. You didn't miss out on much, it was rather buggy.

To begin with, map data is unavailable (I'm going to go and assume its a victim of the "security" guidelines on map data) so all you'll ever see is an endless greenish blue plane. The landscape was punctuated by functioning gyms, rustling grass and landmarks but the GPS lock seemed to jump all over the place. Regarding landmarks which you visit to find caches of items, the ones I encountered in Bundang were kinda random. I guess statues and monumental buildings such as churches must be favoured somehow, but in Korea that means that they're largely those chabeol art pieces and advertisements for churches (because many just occupy office space). You literally have to spin photos of ads for pokeballs. Gyms seemed to have been placed on medical facilities which was cool (it'll make waiting rooms interesting).

By Wednesday night, the game was acting up until it became unstable, and come Thursday it had vanished from the store. I've logged in since and it seems stable again, and whilst no progress has been revoked, all landmarks, gyms and wild pokemon have disappeared so further progress is impossible.

As such, spoofing your location to get an account would be pointless beyond reserving a username. Having said that, hours pretty much anything reasonable was already taken across multiple languages. I got pretty obscure. All usernames must be unique and there are character limits. Anything beyond the alphabet, including spaces, are prohibited. This decision has already shown serious scaling issues and it'll only get worse with time.

Still, the game has pretty good potential, and I've heard its living up to it in some places overseas. By the time it rolls out in Korea, hopefully they'll have come up with some creative ways to reduce the extreme battery drain too.

Three stars.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Online flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #727 on: July 08, 2016, 05:10:25 PM »
We can only take 14 3rd graders for summer camp but more than 50 signed up, so we spread out all the pieces of paper with their names on it and I chose 14 at random, and I picked my favorite student! He's funny, well-behaved, and gets along with everyone. It's going to be fun to have him at camp.  :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #728 on: July 08, 2016, 05:38:39 PM »
My coT forgot (maybe purposely?) that my we had set today as the deadline for having the summer camp plan done.  I had a skeleton thrown together just in case she remembered but I'm really glad I have more time now to make it something decent. Whew!

I'm super happy she's my main coT. Today she left early to catch a quicker ferry to the mainland, and she asked me if there was anything she could buy for me, like bread or fruit (our two local marts are pretty limited in selection). As I haven't left the island in a while, she's concerned about my grocery stock, hahahah

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #729 on: July 11, 2016, 10:47:47 AM »
Just flew in from Tokyo this morning after doing a short weekend trip. Flight was at 2am, got to Korea at 4am. And made teh 3hr commute back to my city. Accomplished a lot in Tokyo this weekend. Will update on how tired I get later haha.  :afro:

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #730 on: July 11, 2016, 10:54:41 AM »
Flew in from Tokyo this morning after an exciting weekend trip there. Flight was at 2am. I landed at 4am and now I'm getting ready to teach. Mood is great, green tea latte is doing it's job. Hoping I don't crash halfway through a class haha. :)

Offline Sillyleaf

• Adventurer
« Reply #731 on: July 11, 2016, 11:21:56 AM »
So ... English camp is 2 weeks but I'm only teaching 4 days because the rest of the days I'm on vacation. This was agreed on by my schools due to the weird/awkward way my 4 school's vacations overlap, (also because all the principals agreed that I should be home for my family reunion). My co-teacher has a book he's teaching from and I'm making a "how-to" ppt for smores using candles and Binch cookies so he can treat them.

Oh yes, those 4 days I'm teaching I'm suppose to  do a cooking classes. So I've got to plan 4 cooking classes for  about 10 students (grade 4-6 elementary age) . I know I want to do smoothies on one of the days. I've got a decent blender and ingredients won't be too hard to get.

No oven, stove top cookies I tried were a mess. Tried to make ice cream and it just wasn't good... hmmm Time to have  fun in the kitchen and figure out something... maybe fancy  failed omelettes (scrambled eggs).  The kids all  really loved my cooking classes in winter which is why I was given more cooking classes this time.

Maybe mac and cheese from scratch... I think they like cheese.  Chilli (maybe chilli dogs?)

I'm excited for the monstrosities we can make ~ !

Offline jcastane89

• Adventurer
« Reply #732 on: July 11, 2016, 11:54:55 AM »
In exactly two months (right around this time of the day), I'll be landing back home!

I can't wait to finally eat a good burger and some legit Mexican food!

Offline Sophyra

• Adventurer
« Reply #733 on: July 11, 2016, 12:35:06 PM »
So ... English camp is 2 weeks but I'm only teaching 4 days because the rest of the days I'm on vacation. This was agreed on by my schools due to the weird/awkward way my 4 school's vacations overlap, (also because all the principals agreed that I should be home for my family reunion). My co-teacher has a book he's teaching from and I'm making a "how-to" ppt for smores using candles and Binch cookies so he can treat them.

Oh yes, those 4 days I'm teaching I'm suppose to  do a cooking classes. So I've got to plan 4 cooking classes for  about 10 students (grade 4-6 elementary age) . I know I want to do smoothies on one of the days. I've got a decent blender and ingredients won't be too hard to get.

No oven, stove top cookies I tried were a mess. Tried to make ice cream and it just wasn't good... hmmm Time to have  fun in the kitchen and figure out something... maybe fancy  failed omelettes (scrambled eggs).  The kids all  really loved my cooking classes in winter which is why I was given more cooking classes this time.

Maybe mac and cheese from scratch... I think they like cheese.  Chilli (maybe chilli dogs?)

I'm excited for the monstrosities we can make ~ !

You could do some type of stove top fruit crumble. Made a blueberry crumble on the stove top and apple crumble once in class and it turned out pretty tasty with a scoop of ice cream. Pretty easy too.
Or guacamole if you can budget the price for the avocados.
Or a quesadilla on the stove top or grilled cheese (if you can't find tortillas). 

Just some easy options if you're looking for any. :)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #734 on: July 11, 2016, 12:36:15 PM »
In exactly two months (right around this time of the day), I'll be landing back home!

I can't wait to finally eat a good burger and some legit Mexican food!

Going home for vacation in August and I'm so excited to eat burgers, Mexican, American Chinese, and Southern food!!  ;D

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #735 on: July 11, 2016, 12:39:48 PM »
In exactly 6 weeks I'll be on a  plane to Vietnam with no return flight  :afro:
So excited to gtfo  of here

Offline samgakji

• Adventurer
« Reply #736 on: July 11, 2016, 12:44:21 PM »
Watching my coteacher lie about why she won't be attending the bar after the work dinner tonight brings the smiles and the lols. After she gets through her story about "cleaning up an art class" I'm like.. Yea, it's Monday I'll skip the drinks too maybe. I'll see how I feel about it then.

Somehow I will take my sins of honesty and not wanting to drink on a Monday night with Korean 50 year-olds to the cross with me. Let the blood pour out from my veins.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline samgakji

• Adventurer
« Reply #737 on: July 11, 2016, 12:48:57 PM »
Although maybe you'll do other things in 2s today as well..

Flew in from Tokyo this morning after an exciting weekend trip there. Flight was at 2am. I landed at 4am and now I'm getting ready to teach. Mood is great, green tea latte is doing it's job. Hoping I don't crash halfway through a class haha. :)

Just flew in from Tokyo this morning after doing a short weekend trip. Flight was at 2am, got to Korea at 4am. And made teh 3hr commute back to my city. Accomplished a lot in Tokyo this weekend. Will update on how tired I get later haha.  :afro:

Online flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #738 on: July 11, 2016, 12:49:44 PM »
Tried to make ice cream and it just wasn't good...
Was it too messy or did it just not work out well? I'm making ice cream in camp and I'm hoping it will go okay.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #739 on: July 11, 2016, 12:58:28 PM »
Tried to make ice cream and it just wasn't good...
Was it too messy or did it just not work out well? I'm making ice cream in camp and I'm hoping it will go okay.

Patbingsu is easy and fun to make and possibly less messy than ice cream. Make sure you freeze the milk cartons beforehand but also give them a good hour to thaw in the morning before the crushing process.  And make sure the crushing process doesn't become an exploding process.
http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=58988.0

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment